Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2019 7:19PM

@Currin wrote:

... The last time that I looked, Hansen’s collection was about 70% Top 5 specimens. I can’t prove, but I don’t think Eliasberg was anywhere near that percentage. In his collection, you will find average mint state and proof coins between the years of 1932-1975. This not a large, but is a fairly good portion of his collection. There are many reasons why Eliasberg was not focus on the modern coins in his day. Some was in his control and some were not. It was a much different era before the TPG certification and registry.

Exactly. In Eliasberg's day, before slabs, for modern coins, if he had a gem Unc (MS-65) or Proof (PR-65), he was done.
    He wasn't trying to find the marginally better moderns that might grade MS-66, 67, 68 today.

A solution for measuring quality that takes this into account might be to weight by price, with the prices from Eliasberg's era.
    These moderns would basically be face value coins.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2019 7:46PM

@yosclimber said:
    @Currin wrote:

... The last time that I looked, Hansen’s collection was about 70% Top 5 specimens. I can’t prove, but I don’t think Eliasberg was anywhere near that percentage. In his collection, you will find average mint state and proof coins between the years of 1932-1975. This not a large, but is a fairly good portion of his collection. There are many reasons why Eliasberg was not focus on the modern coins in his day. Some was in his control and some were not. It was a much different era before the TPG certification and registry.

Exactly. In Eliasberg's day, before slabs, for modern coins, if he had a gem Unc (MS-65) or Proof (PR-65), he was done.
    He wasn't trying to find the marginally better moderns that might grade MS-66, 67, 68 today.

A solution for measuring quality that takes this into account might be to weight by price, with the prices from Eliasberg's era.

Was he essentially done with gem unc MS-65 for all coins like Morgans and Barbers as well?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@yosclimber said:
    @Currin wrote:

Was he essentially done with gem unc MS-65 for all coins like Morgans and Barbers as well?

Yesteryear's gems are today's MS66-69 coins.

• Options

Another interesting statistic might be how many Eliasberg coins are now in Hansen's set.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Another interesting statistic might be how many Eliasberg coins are now in Hansen's set.

Agreed. Does anyone know if anyone has tried to track the whereabouts or at least current service/grade of all of Eliasberg's old coins (the major ones)?

• Options
    edited July 9, 2019 8:43PM

@Currin One thing I really appreciated was the count down of coins Hansen still needed. You had a list of these at the bottom in some of your posts. Does it make sense to post that in the first post in this thread and continually update it there?

• Options
    edited July 9, 2019 9:18PM

It looks like the most recent version of the "still needed" list was "Count Down 21" from February:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12245051#Comment_12245051

• Options
    edited July 9, 2019 9:52PM

@Currin said:
    As you know, Hansen has one of the nicest Roosevelt collections of all-time. Presently, the collection is ranked #2. I wonder what the value of Hansen’s Roosevelt’s would be. As stated before, I believe this will be significant factor when all is said and done. Time will tell who is on the right and wrong side of this debate.

The set referenced where Hansen is ranked #2 is the following:

ROOSEVELT DIMES FB BASIC SET, CIRCULATION STRIKES (1946-PRESENT)

... but I just noticed that Hansen is #1 for a larger set:

ROOSEVELT DIMES FB WITH MAJOR VARIETIES, CIRCULATION STRIKES AND PROOF (1946-PRESENT)

Of note, in this set, the #2 current set is the Registry Set winner from 2013 to 2018 with a Set Rating of 64.87. Hansen's Set Rating is 67.70. This looks like an impressive accomplishment if Hansen became the #1 set without buying the existing #1 set. In fact the #2-#5 ranked All-Time Sets are also the #2-#5 ranked Current Sets.

Did Hansen buy a set here or build this from scratch? In the Basic Set, Circulation Strikes set, the Almighty Dimes set is #4 on the all-time list but not present on the current list. Did Hansen buy this set?

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I sold Hansen’s agent OnlyRoosies (Nick) #1 Silver Dime set (1946-1964). I worked for Nick.

To be honest, at the time, Hansen made a major tactical error as it relates to Roosies. He passed on Nick’s incredible #1 Clad Dime set (1965-date). It wasn’t an issue of the asking price (in fact, it was priced “dirt cheap” in my view)- I think Hansen started with the idea to stop at the year 1964. He missed out on an incredible opportunity in not buying that clad dime set and has been playing “catch up” ever since, buying, in many cases, the second best available clad specimen (in many cases at even higher prices) as Nick’s #1 clad set was “gobbled up” by an astute collector shortly thereafter.

Make no mistake about it- post 1964 Mint State clad dimes in pop top Full Band are some of the most difficult moderns to locate “out in the wild”. They will “have their day” at some point in the future. Like the Mercs that have now achieved (“crazy”) values into the hundreds of thousands of $$$, a number of these clad Roosies will likely achieve ten(s) of thousands of dollars at auction in the not too distant future! You heard it here first!

As always, Just my two cents.

Wondercoin

@wondercoin Dude, you beat my post by 2 minutes. LOL

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:
    If I remember correctly, there is a member that has the Eliasberg Roosevelt Dimes in the original Dansco album and he couldn't sell them. He wanted a hefty price and said if they don't sell he would stick them back into the safe. I can't remember who it was, but he had them on the BST forum and that was about a yr of 2 ago.

Great info. I wonder if there's any way for PCGS to pedigree these to Eliasberg since they are in a Dansco? Are there good enough photos to match?

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Stooge said:
    If I remember correctly, there is a member that has the Eliasberg Roosevelt Dimes in the original Dansco album and he couldn't sell them. He wanted a hefty price and said if they don't sell he would stick them back into the safe. I can't remember who it was, but he had them on the BST forum and that was about a yr of 2 ago.

Great info. I wonder if there's any way for PCGS to pedigree these to Eliasberg since they are in a Dansco? Are there good enough photos to match?

That's why I didn't buy them. They are basically run of the mill coins as Currin said and he wanted something like $700. Wasn't even sure about the pedigree otherwise I would've bought them. I'm sure if you did a search you could find the seller.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2019 1:40AM

This looks like an interesting and potentially useful set which has been aggregating Eliasberg coins.

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=284

Eliasberg Reunited

SET DESCRIPTION
    ELIASBERG REUNITED COLLECTION: Building a Blue-Ribbon Collection on a Blue Collar Budget.

The only collection of United States coins ever formed which was complete by denomination, date and mint was that of the late Louis Eliasberg, Sr.

Expanding on the already immense collection assembled decades earlier by John M. Clapp, which included many coins obtained directly from the various mints in the year of issue, Eliasberg purchased the Clapp Collection in its entirety and worked with several dealers to fill in the remaining gaps. His quest began in 1925, and it wasn't until a quarter century later that Mr. Eliasberg secured the final coin needed, the unique 1873-CC No Arrows dime.

This collection features none of his great rarities, yet it shows how a working person on a budget can still build an historic bond by reuniting coins originally held in the family of collections assembled by America's Greatest Numismatist.

SET GOALS
    ELIASBERG PEDIGREED UNITED STATES TYPE SET

USA Minor Coins Type Set consisting of coins pedigreed to the family of collections by the great Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr., the only collector to build a complete collection of US Coins by date and mint. Collection will include at least one of each major copper, nickel and silver coin type from 1800 through the time Louis Eliasberg completed his great collection in the 1950s, with every coin attributed to the Eliasberg pedigree.

As an added bonus, this collection also features United States Commemorative Half Dollars and a selection of US Gold coins as examples of design and mint, each pedigreed to the Louis Eliasberg, Sr. collection. The collection also contains a US/Philippines proof coin as an example of type from that series, and an Eliasberg-pedigreed California Gold 'Coat of Arms' to create a nexus to my home state. For some coins, examples of both Proof and Mint State examples are included, as well as a few duplicates which are held for future trades. For some coin types, such as Morgan and Peace Dollars, we are attempting to collect an Eliasberg coin from each branch mint, simply because doing so sounds like a cool subset idea.

For modern issues minted after Mr. Eliasberg completed his collection in the 1950s, and older issues for which I have yet to acquire an Eliasberg, Sr. pedigree, I have chosen to include coins pedigreed to his son, Louis Eliasberg, Jr., to further expand the theme of this "Eliasberg Reunited Collection".

In addition to Eliasberg pedigreed coins, this set also contains regular and Library Edition auction catalogs (signed by Dave Bowers and others involved with the sale), two tickets to an actual Eliasberg auction, magazine and newspaper articles from Life, Look, and hobby publications showing Eliasberg with his coins on display, the Q. David Bowers biography "Eliasberg: King of Coins", original press photographic prints of Mr. Eliasberg with his collection on display (including the photo of Eliasberg in this introduction), and personal receipts, signed letters and miscellany belonging to Louis Eliasberg, Jr. and related to the auctioning of his father's collection in the 1990s.

• Note-1: All PCGS Coins in this collection are pedigreed to the Great American Numismatist: Louis Eliasberg, Sr.
    • Note-2: All NGC Coins in this collection are pedigreed to either Louis Eliasberg Sr. or to his son, Louis Eliasberg, Jr., as noted in the collection listing.
    • Note-3: Photo credit for the image of Louis Eliasberg, Sr. (above) goes to William L. Klender of the Baltimore Sunday Sun Magazine, April 24, 1962. This original print is part of our collection. The handwritten caption notes that Mr. Eliasberg's cufflinks are made from $10 gold pieces. (NOTE: Photo temporarily not displayed)
    • Note 4: The Eliasberg Reunited Master Collection presently includes 16 raw coins pedigreed to Louis Eliasberg, Sr. (with original Bowers & Merena invoices) which have never been sent in for grading.
    • Note-5: The collection also contains two non-PCGS/NGC coins: an 1857S Seated Liberty Half Dollar (WB-101) in Fine-15, housed in an older white ANACS slab, and a beautiful 1829/1827 Bust Half Dollar graded MS-61 in an ANACS older white small holder. Both are pedigreed to Louis Eliasberg, Sr. These are the only Eliasberg pedigreed ANACS small-white-holder coins that I've ever seen. If you know of another, please let me know.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    Anyone care to guess how many
    Set Registry awards Mr. Hansen will receive at this years Set Registry Luncheon ?
    Is anyone bringing a wheelbarrow
    to help him carry them away ?

We will find out soon enough. I could take the entire lunch to list all of them.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone asked me a question during the turbulence yesterday. I think it was Cam, but not 100% sure. It was a great question that went something like this: What is your favorite coin that Hansen purchased the past six months, and why? It is a great question that should be asked to the community.

This is an easy question for me. It is the Eliasberg 1885 Proof Trade. It is the finest known to 99% of the community, very rare, record sale, great history, and lastly, highly desirable. Hansen broke several hearts with this purchase.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Someone asked me a question during the turbulence yesterday. I think it was Cam, but not 100% sure. It was a great question that went something like this: What is your favorite coin that Hansen purchased the past six months, and why? It is a great question that should be asked to the community.

This is an easy question for me. It is the Eliasberg 1885 Proof Trade. It is the finest known to 99% of the community, very rare, record sale, great history, and lastly, highly desirable. Hansen broke several hearts with this purchase.

That sounds as if it was too easy for you. If you feel like it, I’d love to hear which one or two others come to mind after the 1885 TD?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2019 7:03PM

If we are talking about purchases last six months, I would say I like the purchase of early half-dimes from JRCSLM32 including the 1802, the third purchased was Perfection Liberty Seated Half Dollars.

What are yours?

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    If we are talking about purchases last six months, I would say I like the purchase of early half-dimes from JRCSLM32 including the 1802, the third purchased was Perfection Liberty Seated Half Dollars.

Thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2019 8:05PM

@Currin said:

This will definitely be one of his most memorable coins and one of the ones that will be weighed most heavily when evaluating his collection in the future. The next highest graded coin (either service) is two points lower than the current holder grade (and this previously resided in a NGC 66 holder which is probably why it isn't included in the PCGS condition census).

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure I had one specific favorite but I enjoyed looking at that group of Large Cents he added in March I think it was.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2019 1:30AM

Of note, this coin isn't listed in the CoinFacts Condition Census which only has the PR63+CAM and PR62CAM.

It's at the top of the list on the CAM page you linked now.

Saying that 99% judge the Eliasberg to be the finest known seems wrong - 4 well known expert graders say it is not.
    There's no way that 400 other people have held the top 2 coins in hand and are qualified to judge that the Eliasberg is the finest.

Here is a roster based on what @tradedollarnut (who has held 4 of the 5 in hand) posted back when the Eliasberg was sold
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/997819/hansen-watch/p31

1. (raw). Johnson, Green, Hester, "Menjou", Stack, Baldenhofer, in a private collection for nearly 40 years.
      TDN: "It’s equal or slightly finer [than the Eliasberg]".
      Kevin Lipton, Jim Halperin and Laura Sperber judge it to be finer.

2. PCGS PR-65+ cam. Atwater, Eliasberg, Parrino, Morelan, Hansen.
      TDN: "lightly hairlined and somewhat weakly struck with patches of funky toning but otherwise pristine."

3. PCGS PR-63+ cam. Idler, Hasletine, Granberg, Green, Johnson, Roe, Kern, Carter, Worrell, Simpson.
      TDN: "The Carter coin has been gently mishandled but since nicely retoned."

4. PCGS PR-62 cam. Farouk, Norweb, Richmond.
      TDN: "The Norweb coin is heavily hairlined and has been cigar smoked."

5. "estimated PR-60". Olsen, Young, French.
      TDN: "the fifth specimen was reportedly seriously mishandled."

The Eliasberg is still a great coin.
    But let's not get carried away with "highest graded". This does not always coincide with finest known.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2019 3:18AM

@yosclimber said:

Of note, this coin isn't listed in the CoinFacts Condition Census which only has the PR63+CAM and PR62CAM.

It's at the top of the list on the CAM page you linked now.

Very nice! One reason I post these is in the hopes that CoinFacts will get updated so it's exciting when it does.

@yosclimber said:
    Here is a roster based on what @tradedollarnut (who has held 4 of the 5 in hand) posted back when the Eliasberg was sold
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/997819/hansen-watch/p31

1. (raw). Johnson, Green, Hester, "Menjou", Stack, Baldenhofer, in a private collection for nearly 40 years.
      TDN: "It’s equal or slightly finer [than the Eliasberg]".
      Kevin Lipton, Jim Halperin and Laura Sperber judge it to be finer.

TDN also indicated that this is the best specimen a few times, emphasis mine:

@tradedollarnut said:
    I have also held four 1885s in my hand. The Norweb coin is heavily hairlined and has been cigar smoked. The Carter coin has been gently mishandled but since nicely retoned. The Eliasberg coin is lightly hairlined and somewhat weakly struck with patches of funky toning but otherwise pristine. The raw coin is the best of the bunch as the fifth specimen was reportedly seriously mishandled.

That being said, the raw coin really needs a TrueView :)

• Options

@Stooge said:

@Zoins said:

@Stooge said:

That's why I didn't buy them. They are basically run of the mill coins as Currin said and he wanted something like $700. Wasn't even sure about the pedigree otherwise I would've bought them. I'm sure if you did a search you could find the seller.

It would be nice to know if the set are still intact and can be verified. It would be really cool if Hansen purchased the set and displayed the Eliasberg set of Roosies along side of his. Just by mentioning this, I may have cause the value of the set to double or maybe triple. Hansen still may be interested. Just a cool thought.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't believe that i have posted to this thread. Quite interesting.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

It would even be more interesting to see DL Hansen smoking from Eliasberg pipe .

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2019 9:11AM

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    It would even be more interesting to see DL Hansen smoking from Eliasberg pipe .

Peace pipe would be a good idea around here.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

I think that's what he's doing in the avatar from his last post a few pages ago...

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@Coinstartled said:

I did.....one time. I learned my lesson fast. Big fish only. No small frys. No dissenting. Toe the line.

Not anymore.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Hydrant said:

@Coinstartled said:

I did.....one time. I learned my lesson fast. Big fish only. No small frys. No dissenting. Toe the line.

Not anymore.

I understand where you're coming from Cameonut. But.....this thread is the third rail. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I prefer to remain a member in good standing.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I still remember the night over at Kevin Lipton’s house when he told me that the raw one was finer. Didn’t quite believe it because of everything that you mention above. It was over a decade until I held the coin in my hand (funny, it’s in a bank about ten miles from here as I post).

It’s well struck, unhairlined with pleasing toning. Looks like any old PCGS 66. Oh, but the date....

Why would the owner not have the coin graded? Thx

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because he doesn’t want to

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

that's certainly his choice but he should not be surprised when people dont consider his coin to be the finest.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

that's certainly his choice but he should not be surprised when people dont consider his coin to be the finest.

He doesn’t care

• Options

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I think what people say on forums, either way, best or not relevant, isn’t relevant to owners that prefer to keep their coins private. Of course, that doesn’t prevent others from arguing relevancy ;)

In any event, Hansen’s coin is the best I’ve seen, if only through pics, so I have to say I like it :)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I think what people say on forums, either way, best or not relevant, isn’t relevant to owners that prefer to keep their coins private. Of course, that doesn’t prevent others from arguing relevancy ;)

In any event, Hansen’s coin is the best I’ve seen, if only through pics, so I have to say I like it :)

I agree. It's absolutely his choice whether to keep his coin raw, pcgs, ngc , cac or non CAC----i just think it's a bit unfair for a coin that has long been considered the finest to be challenged by a coin that is not only non public but has not been reviewed by an independent unbiased third party. I understand that the owner apparently doesnt care about the recognition but we wouldnt be having this discussion if others didnt care.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    What’s fairness got to do with anything? The coin is what it is. Anyone buying ANY coin has to be aware there is always the possibility that something else is out there.

...this is why I love the approach Mr. Hansen is taking...why go for one square piece of bubblegum when you can have the Doublemint twins with every date?...I respect a true collector with such deep pockets as there really shouldn’t be any limit to his/her collection. I know if it were me I would be loading that pipe with cookies and buying coins 20 hours a day ;)

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I totally agree with TDN on this. I have seen plenty of coins at auction with the phrase “finest graded”. That is pure baloney. I know of plenty of raw colonial coins that far exceed those that have been slabbed. One needs to really be on top of the series that they are collecting.

I have and know of other collectors with plenty of raw coins that would blow away what is “finest graded”.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file