Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hansen watch.

Comments

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    Anyone care to guess how many
    Set Registry awards Mr. Hansen will receive at this years Set Registry Luncheon ?
    Is anyone bringing a wheelbarrow
    to help him carry them away ?

We will find out soon enough. I could take the entire lunch to list all of them.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone asked me a question during the turbulence yesterday. I think it was Cam, but not 100% sure. It was a great question that went something like this: What is your favorite coin that Hansen purchased the past six months, and why? It is a great question that should be asked to the community.

This is an easy question for me. It is the Eliasberg 1885 Proof Trade. It is the finest known to 99% of the community, very rare, record sale, great history, and lastly, highly desirable. Hansen broke several hearts with this purchase.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Someone asked me a question during the turbulence yesterday. I think it was Cam, but not 100% sure. It was a great question that went something like this: What is your favorite coin that Hansen purchased the past six months, and why? It is a great question that should be asked to the community.

This is an easy question for me. It is the Eliasberg 1885 Proof Trade. It is the finest known to 99% of the community, very rare, record sale, great history, and lastly, highly desirable. Hansen broke several hearts with this purchase.

That sounds as if it was too easy for you. If you feel like it, I’d love to hear which one or two others come to mind after the 1885 TD?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited July 10, 2019 7:03PM

If we are talking about purchases last six months, I would say I like the purchase of early half-dimes from JRCSLM32 including the 1802, the third purchased was Perfection Liberty Seated Half Dollars.

What are yours?

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004

@Currin said:
    If we are talking about purchases last six months, I would say I like the purchase of early half-dimes from JRCSLM32 including the 1802, the third purchased was Perfection Liberty Seated Half Dollars.

Thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 8:05PM

@Currin said:

This will definitely be one of his most memorable coins and one of the ones that will be weighed most heavily when evaluating his collection in the future. The next highest graded coin (either service) is two points lower than the current holder grade (and this previously resided in a NGC 66 holder which is probably why it isn't included in the PCGS condition census).

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure I had one specific favorite but I enjoyed looking at that group of Large Cents he added in March I think it was.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2019 1:30AM

Of note, this coin isn't listed in the CoinFacts Condition Census which only has the PR63+CAM and PR62CAM.

It's at the top of the list on the CAM page you linked now.

Saying that 99% judge the Eliasberg to be the finest known seems wrong - 4 well known expert graders say it is not.
    There's no way that 400 other people have held the top 2 coins in hand and are qualified to judge that the Eliasberg is the finest.

Here is a roster based on what @tradedollarnut (who has held 4 of the 5 in hand) posted back when the Eliasberg was sold
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/997819/hansen-watch/p31

1. (raw). Johnson, Green, Hester, "Menjou", Stack, Baldenhofer, in a private collection for nearly 40 years.
      TDN: "It’s equal or slightly finer [than the Eliasberg]".
      Kevin Lipton, Jim Halperin and Laura Sperber judge it to be finer.

2. PCGS PR-65+ cam. Atwater, Eliasberg, Parrino, Morelan, Hansen.
      TDN: "lightly hairlined and somewhat weakly struck with patches of funky toning but otherwise pristine."

3. PCGS PR-63+ cam. Idler, Hasletine, Granberg, Green, Johnson, Roe, Kern, Carter, Worrell, Simpson.
      TDN: "The Carter coin has been gently mishandled but since nicely retoned."

4. PCGS PR-62 cam. Farouk, Norweb, Richmond.
      TDN: "The Norweb coin is heavily hairlined and has been cigar smoked."

5. "estimated PR-60". Olsen, Young, French.
      TDN: "the fifth specimen was reportedly seriously mishandled."

The Eliasberg is still a great coin.
    But let's not get carried away with "highest graded". This does not always coincide with finest known.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2019 3:18AM

@yosclimber said:

Of note, this coin isn't listed in the CoinFacts Condition Census which only has the PR63+CAM and PR62CAM.

It's at the top of the list on the CAM page you linked now.

Very nice! One reason I post these is in the hopes that CoinFacts will get updated so it's exciting when it does.

@yosclimber said:
    Here is a roster based on what @tradedollarnut (who has held 4 of the 5 in hand) posted back when the Eliasberg was sold
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/997819/hansen-watch/p31

1. (raw). Johnson, Green, Hester, "Menjou", Stack, Baldenhofer, in a private collection for nearly 40 years.
      TDN: "It’s equal or slightly finer [than the Eliasberg]".
      Kevin Lipton, Jim Halperin and Laura Sperber judge it to be finer.

TDN also indicated that this is the best specimen a few times, emphasis mine:

@tradedollarnut said:
    I have also held four 1885s in my hand. The Norweb coin is heavily hairlined and has been cigar smoked. The Carter coin has been gently mishandled but since nicely retoned. The Eliasberg coin is lightly hairlined and somewhat weakly struck with patches of funky toning but otherwise pristine. The raw coin is the best of the bunch as the fifth specimen was reportedly seriously mishandled.

That being said, the raw coin really needs a TrueView :)

@Stooge said:

@Zoins said:

@Stooge said:
    If I remember correctly, there is a member that has the Eliasberg Roosevelt Dimes in the original Dansco album and he couldn't sell them. He wanted a hefty price and said if they don't sell he would stick them back into the safe. I can't remember who it was, but he had them on the BST forum and that was about a yr of 2 ago.

Great info. I wonder if there's any way for PCGS to pedigree these to Eliasberg since they are in a Dansco? Are there good enough photos to match?

That's why I didn't buy them. They are basically run of the mill coins as Currin said and he wanted something like $700. Wasn't even sure about the pedigree otherwise I would've bought them. I'm sure if you did a search you could find the seller.

It would be nice to know if the set are still intact and can be verified. It would be really cool if Hansen purchased the set and displayed the Eliasberg set of Roosies along side of his. Just by mentioning this, I may have cause the value of the set to double or maybe triple. Hansen still may be interested. Just a cool thought.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't believe that i have posted to this thread. Quite interesting.

• STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

It would even be more interesting to see DL Hansen smoking from Eliasberg pipe .

edited July 12, 2019 9:11AM

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:
    It would even be more interesting to see DL Hansen smoking from Eliasberg pipe .

Peace pipe would be a good idea around here.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

I think that's what he's doing in the avatar from his last post a few pages ago...

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@Coinstartled said:

I did.....one time. I learned my lesson fast. Big fish only. No small frys. No dissenting. Toe the line.

Not anymore.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Hydrant said:

@Coinstartled said:

I did.....one time. I learned my lesson fast. Big fish only. No small frys. No dissenting. Toe the line.

Not anymore.

I understand where you're coming from Cameonut. But.....this thread is the third rail. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. I prefer to remain a member in good standing.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I still remember the night over at Kevin Lipton’s house when he told me that the raw one was finer. Didn’t quite believe it because of everything that you mention above. It was over a decade until I held the coin in my hand (funny, it’s in a bank about ten miles from here as I post).

It’s well struck, unhairlined with pleasing toning. Looks like any old PCGS 66. Oh, but the date....

Why would the owner not have the coin graded? Thx

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because he doesn’t want to

@tradedollarnut said:

that's certainly his choice but he should not be surprised when people dont consider his coin to be the finest.

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

that's certainly his choice but he should not be surprised when people dont consider his coin to be the finest.

He doesn’t care

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I think what people say on forums, either way, best or not relevant, isn’t relevant to owners that prefer to keep their coins private. Of course, that doesn’t prevent others from arguing relevancy ;)

In any event, Hansen’s coin is the best I’ve seen, if only through pics, so I have to say I like it :)

@Zoins said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I think what people say on forums, either way, best or not relevant, isn’t relevant to owners that prefer to keep their coins private. Of course, that doesn’t prevent others from arguing relevancy ;)

In any event, Hansen’s coin is the best I’ve seen, if only through pics, so I have to say I like it :)

I agree. It's absolutely his choice whether to keep his coin raw, pcgs, ngc , cac or non CAC----i just think it's a bit unfair for a coin that has long been considered the finest to be challenged by a coin that is not only non public but has not been reviewed by an independent unbiased third party. I understand that the owner apparently doesnt care about the recognition but we wouldnt be having this discussion if others didnt care.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    What’s fairness got to do with anything? The coin is what it is. Anyone buying ANY coin has to be aware there is always the possibility that something else is out there.

...this is why I love the approach Mr. Hansen is taking...why go for one square piece of bubblegum when you can have the Doublemint twins with every date?...I respect a true collector with such deep pockets as there really shouldn’t be any limit to his/her collection. I know if it were me I would be loading that pipe with cookies and buying coins 20 hours a day ;)

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I totally agree with TDN on this. I have seen plenty of coins at auction with the phrase “finest graded”. That is pure baloney. I know of plenty of raw colonial coins that far exceed those that have been slabbed. One needs to really be on top of the series that they are collecting.

I have and know of other collectors with plenty of raw coins that would blow away what is “finest graded”.

edited July 13, 2019 2:01PM

@Colonialcoin said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I totally agree with TDN on this. I have seen plenty of coins at auction with the phrase “finest graded”. That is pure baloney. I know of plenty of raw colonial coins that far exceed those that have been slabbed. One needs to really be on top of the series that they are collecting.

I have and know of other collectors with plenty of raw coins that would blow away what is “finest graded”.

I think that’s going a bit far. I think it’s fine to recognize nice, ungraded coins but I don’t see anything wrong with “finest graded”. It’s honest and clear in meaning.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    What’s fairness got to do with anything? The coin is what it is. Anyone buying ANY coin has to be aware there is always the possibility that something else is out there.

Why spend 7 or 8 figures on a 1933 double eagle, knowing that it could be possible there are 5,000 unknown examples in some govt vault.

I trust you that the raw coin is better, but it's also irrelevant considering it sounds like it's getting buried in 20-30 years.

@Colonialcoin said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

It’s not bologna if a coin is described as “finest graded” and it is the finest/highest graded. In that scenario, the condition of raw coins is irrelevant. But it might be bologna if the coin is described as “finest known” and there are raw coins which people think or know are finer.

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Even with numbers on a holder, the debates continue.

I wonder how many coins that are true finest known are still raw (only considering non modern coins)? I would guess the percentage is miniscule.

@Zoins said:

@Colonialcoin said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I think that’s going a bit far. I think it’s fine to recognize nice, ungraded coins but I don’t see anything wrong with “finest graded”. It’s honest and clear in meaning.

“Finest graded” may indicate finest known to the uneducated collector.

edited July 13, 2019 4:18PM

@Colonialcoin said:

@Zoins said:

@Colonialcoin said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

If it’s accurate, it’s not bologna, even if the uneducated collector takes it the wrong way. How would you note the population of a highest-graded coin?

Edited the add: For the record, I do prefer “highest graded” to “finest graded”.

All I’m saying is that just because a coin is not slabbed doesn’t mean that it is not the finest known or at the very least finer that something that is slabbed.

Back to the Hansen collection thread.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin I missed it, but what does Hansen own with half cents?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    edited July 13, 2019 6:04PM

@Colonialcoin said:

@Zoins said:

@Colonialcoin said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

All that is indicating is that the uneducated collector needs to educate him or herself. The term is accurate.

Would you suggest no one use the term “finest known” since an uneducated collector could take that to mean the finest known to and graded by a TPG?

edited July 13, 2019 5:32PM

This is getting a little off track. The historic statement for the Eliasberg 1885 Trade is Finest by Far of Just Five Known. Period!

I believe statement at at the Eliasberg sale was for a MS65 raw coin. I not sure why TPG is being drawn into this discussion. It just confusing the discussion.

A TPG by PCGS could make the claim more legitimate, but that is the only value they could play in this discussion.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019 8:08PM

@Currin said:
    The historic statement for the Eliasberg 1885 Trade is Finest by Far of Just Five Known. Period!

This is just auction description hype, not historic or really expected to be accurate.
    Finest graded in a slab, sure.
    But not finest known to the experts.

It's a part of the hobby that some collectors suppress information on the coins they own.
    This does create challenges for the auction catalogers and those writing rosters.
    It is more fun to study the coins when all the info is freely shared,
    but sometimes we don't get that.

Also, until Hansen purchased the coin a couple months ago, I do not remember anyone challenging or disputing this ranking. I will try to say this without being negative, it appear to me with many of Hansen coins, as with the 1885, they lose a lot of their shine starting at the day Hansen makes the purchase. This may be a biased statement, but it is my observation. I may be the only one that has made that observation.

The quality of the Eliasberg 1885 T$1 relative to the raw coin was definitely discussed in the leadup to the auction.
    Not simply after it sold.
    Thread started 2018-11-26
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009564/1885-and-1884-trade-dollars-at-auction-each-pr-66-ex-eliasberg/p1
    @tradedollarnut posted later on the same day:

tradedollarnut Posts: 18,837 ✭✭✭✭✭ November 26, 2018 5:38PM
    Used to own them both. Lovely coins - only issues are a fingerprint on the reverse of the 1884 and a flat strike and ‘moldy haze’ on the obverse of the 1885.

I’d be a buyer but I know where the better 1885 resides. It’s my dream coin.

And the auction closed 2019-01-10 .

Although it's true that sometimes @specialist posted after Hansen bought a coin that there was one she liked better (sometimes it was one he already had). She was mostly just sharing what she observed and judged when comparing the top coins.

P.S. I hope this does not feel negative to you.
    I appreciate your great ongoing work on this thread.
    Sometimes I will offer what I feel are corrections like this one, though.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That could also be added to auction results! Funny how people think they can reference a piece of crap compared to a nice coin with coin facts! I'm going through that now and there will be no sale!

@Colonialcoin said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

edited July 13, 2019 9:55PM

@yosclimber said:

@Currin said:
    The historic statement for the Eliasberg 1885 Trade is Finest by Far of Just Five Known. Period!

This is just auction description hype, not historic or really expected to be accurate.
    Finest graded in a slab, sure.
    But not finest known to the experts.

I wouldn’t say this is necessarily just auction hype.

It could certainly be the finest known to the cataloger. While a handful experts have seen a coin they deem finer, many have not. TDN didn't even see the finer one for over 10 years after hearing about it and not believing it. The finer, raw coin also isn't listed in the PCGS CoinFacts Condition Census.

The trick with "finest known" is known to whom?

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought "bologna" was lunchmeat and "baloney" was goofing around. :/

Respectfully, if I were Mr Hansen I would offer to trade the Starr 1884 straight across for the Eliasberg 1884. There’s more value in the pair being together than there is in owning the finest graded. Both historical and monetary...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file