• Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Congrats. Good move to buy that coin

Thanks!

John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

Well...we didn’t make an announcement on it, but we did buy the 54-S $5 with another partner. It sold for exactly what we expected.

We were thrilled to purchase it and I have to admit, it’s one of my favorite items, historically, that we’ve ever purchased. It’s a truly significant numismatic rarity and it was really quite thrilling to have been involved.

That being said, there is always more to the Story from the overall ANA show. But, that’ll come later in the week once we’ve had a chance to catch up and get a little bit of rest.

Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder what could be more to the Story. Could it be the story behind the wild and crazy listing on eBay that just disappeared, the controversial GW pocketpiece, or maybe something big found on the show floor? Story with a big S, anyone got an idea?

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoBust said:
    I will miss those two lovely ladies, but happy to put you over the top as the all time finest ever. What a great collection of Barber Half Dollars, reaching a historic status of quality, grade and eye appeal. Congratulations Del!

GoBust - is correct, We both spent some time with Del and I complimented on his Seated Dollar display and he wanted to see my display of Capped Bust coinage and he loved it as well. Del has that collector bug that we all have and enjoyed speaking to us collectors. Added to the ANA experience!

Easton Collection
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2018 7:46PM

The Ultra-Rare 1854-S $5 Liberty Half Eagle

This coin has been well documented and featured several times in this thread. It sold in the Heritage August 16th 2018 - ANA WFOM US Coins Signature Auction. The coin realized $2,160,000. PCGS Coin Guide Price for this coin is $1,750,000. The online pre-bidding was strong for this coin leading up to the late night live portion of the sale. There were no additional bids in the live auction.

Transaction description by Laura in Market Reports:
    Legend Numismatics wishes to congratulate our friend John Albanese on his purchase of the 1854S $5 for $2,160,000.00. As typical these days, it did not take long for the coin to see action. Having left what he felt was a low bid for sport, John was surprised when he found out he bought the coin. The next morning he partnered it with John Brush of DLRC. Within hours the coin was privately sold again!

This link has a very good detail description of this coin and its very brief 164-year history.

https://www.heritagestatic.com/c/d/cms/330/927/1278-platinum236-241.33092729.pdf
    >
    >

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Good work Currin!
    I think going forward readers would be very interested in the DLH upgrades.
    I mentioned before that it seeems that this is his focus. Great upgrades that are priced right.
    They will pay for,the best but only so much. That is evident by DLH seemingly passing on the two top coins and also a few other gems in the sale that were priced very high .

I,own the top PR Morgan set. A Pop 1 1881 DCAM 68 sold for 105k. I,wanted it but passed at
    That price.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    Count Down 28 --- The Ultra-Rare 1854-S $5 Liberty Half Eagle

The last countdown coin was the 1857-D Quarter Eagle on July 28th. The pace is about one countdown coin per month. This is a big time addition that we have been watching for several months. There are only two 1854-S $5 Liberty Half Eagle available for private ownership. They are this specimen that is now in Hansen Collection and the Pogue Specimen that has resided with the Pogue family since 1982. The reported asking price for Pogue is approx. $8M. The Pogue Specimen is a PCGS AU58+.

1854-S $5 XF45 NGC

This coin has been well documented and featured several times in this thread. It sold in the Heritage August 16th 2018 - ANA WFOM US Coins Signature Auction. The coin realized $2,160,000. PCGS Coin Guide Price for this coin is $1,750,000. The online pre-bidding was strong for this coin leading up to the late night live portion of the sale. There were no additional bids in the live auction. This link has a very good detail description of this coin and its very brief 164-year history.

https://www.heritagestatic.com/c/d/cms/330/927/1278-platinum236-241.33092729.pdf
    >
    >
    >
    >

There are 28 remaining coins in the Eliasberg Quest. The 14 coins that are not listed in “complete registry set” are Bold below.

Top 10
    1870-S Half Dime (Unique Coin in Tom Bender PCGS Registry Collection)
    1873-CC "No Arrows" Dime (Unique Coin in an anonymous collection)
    1870-S Three Dollar Only (Unique Coin owned by the Bass Foundation displayed at the ANA)
    1866 "No Motto" Dollar Proof Only (2 Minted, Unique Private Coin in Simpson Collection)
    1822 Half Eagle (Survival 3, Unique Private Owned Coin in the Pogue Collection)
    1933 Double Eagle (Known Survival 16, Unique Legally Owned Coin - anonymous collection)
    1798 "Small Eagle" Half Eagle (Survival 7, Only 2 maybe 3 examples could be privately purchased)
    1913 Liberty Head Nickel Proof Only (5 Minted, 3 private owned)
    1885 Trade Dollar Proof Only (Minted known 5)
    1838-0 Half Dollar BM Only (Survival 9, six known for private purchase)

Next 10
    1819 “No Variety” Half Eagle (Survival 7)
    1880 Four Dollar Gold "Stella’s" (Coiled Hair) Proof Only (Survival 8)
    1827 "Original" Quarter Dollar Proof Only (Survival 9)
    1841 Quarter Eagle (Survival 11)
    1894-S Barber Dime BM Proof Only (Survival 13)
    1797 "Large Eagle” Half Eagle (Survival 20)
    1880 Four Dollar Gold "Stella’s" (Flowing Hair) Proof Only (Survival 24)
    1802 Half Dime (Survival 25)
    1864-S Half Eagle (Survival 32, only 7 known in AU)
    1933 Ten Dollar (Survival 40, rarest issue in series)

Last 8
    1796 “Stars" Quarter Eagle (Survival 40)
    1856-D Quarter Eagle (Survival 50)
    1839 Gobrecht Dollar Proof Only (Survival 60-75)
    1840-D Quarter Eagle (Survival 65)
    1841-D Quarter Eagle (Survival 75)
    1854-D Quarter Eagle (Survival 75)
    1798 Quarter Eagle (Survival 80)
    1846-C Half Eagle (Survival 300)

It could take decades before he is able to snag many of these.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always enjoy the updates/ upgrades. As for the 54-S, I was thinking we would see the big press release that it was crossed over during the ANA (maybe we still will now that we know who the high bidder was)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said: "It could take decades before he is able to snag many of these."

Do you think so? Perhaps that is why It's called collecting. There a plenty of folks in the world with more money. What fun would it be if every coin he needed could be bought all at once and the task over with a swipe of a pen on a check?

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the two big rarities going to people/collectors I admire who are willing to share their precious baubles with the rest of the collecting world.
    On the 1854-S, can someone explain what is going on between 9 and 12 on the reverse? Heritage made a point of mentioning it and included a close-up but from the photos, it is not apparent what is going on there
    Love this thread and that some of the big dogs take the time to post to it.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

@breakdown said:

On the 1854-S, can someone explain what is going on between 9 and 12 on the reverse? Heritage made a point of mentioning it and included a close-up but from the photos, it is not apparent what is going on there

• Options

@Currin said:
    Upcoming Auctions

We know the two big coins to watch in the ANA auctions in a couple weeks. What are some of the others? In a quick look at Stack’s Bowers, several potentials upgrades can be found. There really are not any “coins needed for the quest”, except the big two. As for upgrades, there are too many to discuss, and we really don’t know what DLH/JB is really looking to upgrade. Just because a particular coin is a half grade, or more better, don’t necessarily mean there’s any interest to purchase. Although, I think one of Hansen’s weaker series is the Peace Dollar. There are a handful of upgrade opportunities for the Peace series.

There is one coin that caught my eye. This is not a spectacular coin, by no means. It is very much worn and may have been cleaned in the past. It is a coin that was on the brink of extinction, and someone 100 years ago found this rare specimen in pocket change (or change jar) and saved it. Most of the coin in this series were destroyed in the melting pot. Something about the low survival coins interest me a lot.

I have been watching Hansen’s progress with Major Variety Set for a while now. He has made tremendous progress without much fanfare. He is down to needing about 70 coins to complete the 1792-1964 Major Variety set. If he does, I am pretty confident this will be a first time in history achievement. I am planning to start a countdown when he gets down to about 40-50 remaining. The coin that caught my eye is one of these remaining coins.

This is a very rare Capped Bust $5: Type 1 - Large Bust Major Variety Specimen. The 1810 year produced mini-set of 4 Major Half Eagle Varieties; this coin is one of the ultra-rare ones. The Pogue Extraordinary Rarity 1810 Type 1, Large Date, Small 5 Specimen is one of only three known specimens. According to the description: When assembling his superlative cabinet, D. Brent Pogue did not acquire many circulated coins, but the ones he did are some of its greatest rarities. Choice Mint State specimens of many of the rarest American coins simply have not survived. The 1810 Large Date, Small 5 half eagle is one such rarity. It is remarkable in any grade, with a total confirmed population of only three pieces, just two of which are in private hands. Even the National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution, replete with gold rarities from the Lilly Collection, lacks this variety. The finest 1810 Large Date, Small 5 half eagle is the Harry W. Bass, Jr. Core Collection coin, generally considered About Uncirculated but presently uncertified and impounded in the American Numismatic Association museum.

The grade on this coin is VF-25. PCGS POP reports one finer VF-30 that last appeared in auction in 1999. The finest specimen known is owned by Harry W. Bass, Jr. Foundation. The coin has an AU53 estimated grade and is off the market. This may be one of those one-shot opportunities. It will be interesting to see if DLH/JB is as interested in this coin as I would be. Open for discussion if anyone is interested. If you were doing what Hansen is doing, would you pass on this coin?

This rare Pogue Specimen sold for $78,000. Anyone know the details of the sale?

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    Congratulations on the two big rarities going to people/collectors I admire who are willing to share their precious baubles with the rest of the collecting world.
    Love this thread and that some of the big dogs take the time to post to it.

Could not agree with you more sir. K

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful gold coin.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I was slightly surprised that the 13V did not sell for $5M. Congrats Laura.

Do we know the buyer of the Washington "Pocket Piece"?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful 1804 $5!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:

@breakdown said:

The only thing "unusual" I see is a gouge in the denticals (looks like an "S") below the 2 parallel scratches on the rim. What did heritage say?

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the updates----I start getting anxiety when I don't see a new addition every several days!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1859 $5 in 62 was gold stickered in an old ngc fatty. @steveben was the owner at a point. Could be that the coin was cracked an upgraded but unlikely as that coin seemed more like a 63 vs a 64+ to me.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1804 $5 is stunning, wow

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 3:08PM

@Currin - here is the image of the 1859 $5 in PCGS MS64+. Beautiful half eagle!

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    The 1859 $5 in 62 was gold stickered in an old ngc fatty. @steveben was the owner at a point. Could be that the coin was cracked an upgraded but unlikely as that coin seemed more like a 63 vs a 64+ to me.

Doesn't look like that 62 Gold CAC is the same coin - comparing the 2015 Heritage auction of the 62 to the TrueView above is definitive. There's a flaw between obverse stars 8-9 on the 64+ that's clearly not on the 62.

• Options

Nice. Thanks. Do anyone recognize the specimen? What is the pedigree?

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great additions by Hansen. That 1804 is superb! It's great that he's focusing on quality in addition to quantity. Such a great set.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Hansen's continuous upgrade of his liberty gold, he has gone from having one of everything (or close to it) to having an amazing and nearly complete collection of stunning coins.

• Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 5:06PM

@Currin said:

Here's the pedigree on the 1859 $5:
    Dempsey & Baxter, a newly discovered Finest Known example, sold on the Coin Dealers Helping Coin Dealers website on 8/3/2018 - Numismatic Financial Corporation, Inc., sold privately in 8/2018 - D.L. Hansen Collection

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    This is one great looking old gold coin. You don’t see many MS69 from this era. I can not find a predigree or history on this coin. Do anyone know the history?
    https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/25636583_Large.jpg

It does not appear to have been purchased in an auction. Where does he find these great specimens?

I have that same coin! (only 11 points lower) :D

• Options

@BestGerman said:

@Currin said:

Here's the pedigree on the 1859-S $5:
    Dempsey & Baxter, a newly discovered Finest Known example, sold on the Coin Dealers Helping Coin Dealers website on 8/3/2018 - Numismatic Financial Corporation, Inc., sold privately in 8/2018 - D.L. Hansen Collection

Great reach! Do you think this is the same specimen that Akers viewed and referenced decades ago. When you say newly discovered, then maybe not.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 59 is stunning

• Options

Half Eagle Updates - Episode 3

This is the 3rd day of featuring Liberty Half Eagles. There are other series that I could feature, but the half eagles are just getting amazingly better. There appear to be an endless flow of new PCGS POP 1/0 $5 Liberties. There are more to come. If you have not been stun yet, wait for tomorrow.

1850 $5 MS63 Cert 35568386 PCGS POP 1/0 – Replaces 1850 $5 AU55 POP 11/25

This is an amazing specimen to be a lowly choice MS63. This is another coin that does not have a history. Maybe someone walked off the street in Richmond and handed this raw coin over the counter to John. From the last story, I would not be surprised. Jokes aside, this is a really nice coin. I think this is a very recent certified coin (maybe cross-over or re-cert). Coins Facts History shows the finest PCGS graded specimens as MS62s. The finest known example may be the Earle-Eliasberg-Milas NGC MS65 specimen. The last auction for the NGC MS65 states: NGC lists two MS65 coins, with no finer examples, supported by three MS61 pieces and two MS62 coins. However, we have only been able to trace this sole MS65 coin, with no other appearances in any auction exceeding MS62 in certified grade.

As stated, this MS63 could be a MS62 upgrade, or a coin off the street as we seen with the 1859. If anyone can find additional information, please share. For your view, I will share this new Hansen coin and the Earle-Eliasberg-Milas. You be judge if you think the MS65 example is two points better.

Provenance: unknown

Hansen’s 1850 $5 MS63 PCGS POP 1/0 PCGS Price Guide Value $20,000

The Earle-Eliasberg-Milas 1850 Half Eagle, MS65 - 4/15 Heritage Auction realized $54,050

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the reverse scratch from the stem down and right on the MS-63 limits its grade.
    Otherwise the surfaces look amazing.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

@Currin said:

The 1859 $5 has an interesting pedigree. It sold in an auction on the facebook group "Coin Dealers Helping Coin Dealers" and was bought over the counter in a sandwich bag in a coin shop in Erie, PA...
    It was purchased and graded by NFC and then we placed it with Mr. Hansen at the show...

Interesting is one way to put it. If I could find nice coins in sandwich bags, I'd likely be a billionaire by now.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

@Currin said:

The 1859 $5 has an interesting pedigree. It sold in an auction on the facebook group "Coin Dealers Helping Coin Dealers" and was bought over the counter in a sandwich bag in a coin shop in Erie, PA...
    It was purchased and graded by NFC and then we placed it with Mr. Hansen at the show...

LOL @Hobosapian please bring the rest of the coins from the bag to our next show!

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that Northeast Numismatics has an 1802 Half Dime listed on their site. While only VG10, I know this is an impossible to find coin. This is also the last non-gold coin needed for the 1793-1964 set.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a grade higher than his 1823/2 in G4, the other show stopper for early silver. The 1817/4 is not listed in this set which focuses on each date and mint mark not overdates. Really a breathtaking collection of American regular issue silver coinage. How many gold coins still needed for this set? And copper is complete? Wow

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 5:53PM

Half Eagle Updates - Episode 4

Day 4 of the half eagles. The Hansen Collection has upgraded 11 half eagles since ANA last week. I did not intend to spend so much time on half eagles, but with such great upgrades, it had to be done. I hope to finish today with a great run of Carson City half eagles. The run is complete from 1872 to 1876. This is not an easy run; it contains five very difficult half eagles to acquire in high grade. The upgrade contains one each: PCGS POP 1/0, PCGS 3/0, and the other three have a less than a hand full of finer examples. So, here they are, enjoy!

1872-CC $5 AU58 Cert 24078980 PCGS POP 3/0 – Replaces 1872-CC $5 AU55 7/3 CAC

David Akers (1975/88) - The 1872-CC is of comparable overall rarity to the 1871-CC although, in my opinion, it is a little more rare than the 1971-CC in full EF or better. I have not heard of one even close to uncirculated. Most known specimens are well worn with Fine and VF being typical.

This specimen last appeared in Heritage August 2012 Philadelphia ANA Auction where is sold for $29,375. No recent history is known and where Hansen acquired this coin is not publicly known. The PCGS Price Guide Value is $35,000.

Provenance: From the Battle Born Collection. Earlier from our (Stack's) Public Auction Sale of May 1989, lot 394; ex: Doug Winter and Lee Minshull, September 1998; and the Nevada Collection. The plate coin for the issue on page 30 of the 2001 book Gold Coins of the Carson City Mint by Douglas Winter and James L. Halperin.

**1872-CC Liberty Half Eagle. Winter 1-B. AU-58 (PCGS) **

1873-CC $5 MS61 Cert 84025617 PCGS POP 1/1 – Replaces 1873-CC $5 AU53 1/6

David Akers (1975/88) - The 1873-CC has the second lowest mintage of any Carson City Half Eagle. It is a very rare date in any condition and extremely rare as high as EF. I have seen one piece that was very close to uncirculated but none that have actually reached that level. As a date, the 1873-CC is more rare than the 1871-CC, 1872-CC, 1874-CC, 1876-CC and 1877-CC and is comparable to the 1875-CC. It is not quite as rare as either the 1870-CC or the 1878-CC. When available, the 1873-CC is almost always well worn, i.e. VF or less. All 1873-CC Half Eagles have a Closed 3 in the date.

This is the mystery coin of the run. There is not much known. PCGS Price Guide Value for this coin is $115,000. The one finer 1873-CC is the Bass-Battle Born MS62.

1873-CC $5 MS61

1874-CC $5 AU58 Cert 25631144 PCGS POP 8/3 CAC – Replaces 1874-CC $5 AU55 17/11 CAC

David Akers (1975/88) - In overall rarity, the 1874-CC is possibly the most common of the very rare Carson City Mint issues in the 1870-1878 period. (At least it had more auction appearances in my 337 catalogue survey and I have personally seen more of this date than of any of the others.) Most known specimens of the 1874-CC are well circulated and VF examples are typical. A few AU coins are known but only one 1874-CC catalogued as uncirculated has ever been offered at public auction. That coin was in the Robison Sale (Stack's 2/79) and it brought $19,000.

This coin was sold recently on Douglas Winter Numismatics website for $22,500. Described as: This is a very choice coin with just a tiny amount of friction seen on the high spots. The strike is sharp and the surfaces are very choice save for two thin, short scratches between the 8 and the 7 in the date. The color is a rich orange-gold hue which is seen on both sides and which adds considerable appeal to an already-choice presentation. The PCGS Price Guide Value price the coin at $26,000.

CONDITION CENSUS 1874-CC HALF EAGLE, PCGS/CAC AU58

1875-CC $5 MS61 CERT 24078982 PCGS POP 1/0 – Replaces 1875-CC $5 AU55 6/1

David Akers (1975/88) -Most 1875-CC Half Eagles are in lower circulated grades from VG to VF. I have seen only one piece that graded full AU, and none in strictly uncirculated condition. As a date, the 1875-CC is comparable to the 1873-CC and more rare than the 1871-CC, 1872-CC, 1874-CC, 1876-CC and 1877-CC. All specimens I have seen were rather weakly struck, particularly on the obverse.

The last public appearance was the Heritage August 2012 Philadelphia ANA auction and sold for $38,187.50. The auction description: Charming surfaces are aglow with even olive-orange patina and vibrant, satiny mint luster. We note an uncommonly smooth appearance for the grade, there being no sizeable or otherwise individually distracting abrasions on either side. Striking quality varies for this issue depending upon the exact die marriage encountered, although as a whole the 1875-CC is among the more softly defined half eagles from this mint. The present example is actually quite sharp on the obverse, there being only a touch of weakness to the central high points (namely the hair curls and tresses above and below Liberty's ear). The reverse is typically softer and actually quite blunt in the center, although one will see sharp to full detail toward the periphery. There are no readily evident pedigree markers.

There is one finer non-PCGS certified example, the NGC MS-63 specimen from Cutler Collection.

Provenance: From the Battle Born Collection. Earlier ex: our (Stack's) sale of the Robison Collection of United States Gold Coins, February 1979, lot 498; our (Stack's) sale of the Reed Hawn Collection, October 1993, lot 995; Dr. Larry Cutler Collection; Doug Winter and Lee Minshull, November 1996; and the Nevada Collection. The plate coin for the issue on page 36 of the 2001 book, Gold Coins of the Carson City Mint, by Douglas Winter and James L. Halperin.

1875-CC Liberty Half Eagle. Winter 1-B. MS-61 (PCGS) CAC

1876-CC $5 AU58 CERT 03363556 PCGS POP 3/1– Replaces 1876-CC $5 AU55 7/4

David Akers (1975/88) - The 1876-CC has the lowest mintage of any Carson City Mint Half Eagle. It is not the rarest, however, but is of approximately the same rarity as the 1871-CC, 1872-CC and 1877-CC and a little more rare than the 1874-CC. It is not as rare as the 1870-CC, 1873-CC, 1875-CC, or 1878-CC. Almost all known specimens are well circulated with VF being typical.

This coin last appeared in the Heritage 2016 September Twelve Oaks Collection Signature Auction and sold for $37,600. The auction description: This coin boasts an impressive array of toning shades for a gold coin, ranging from canary-yellow through reddish-orange, ruddy cherry-red, lilac, and brownish-charcoal, complementing the considerable remaining luster and a decent strike. A few scattered ticks are of little consequence. A prominent die lump on Liberty's throat, just below the jawline, is typical of these dies.

There is only one certified mint state specimen for the 1876-CC, and it is a mind blower. The finest specimen is Eliasberg - Battle Born PCGS MS66, last sold in Stacks Bower 2012 for $487,625. If there is one half eagle that Hansen should have and need to seek is this one. The specimen was in the famous Eliasberg collection, and deserves to be in the Hansen Collection.

PCGS Price Guide Value: $35,000

Provenance: From The Twelve Oaks Collection

1876-CC Half Eagle, Elusive AU58

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:
    I see that Northeast Numismatics has an 1802 Half Dime listed on their site. While only VG10, I know this is an impossible to find coin. This is also the last non-gold coin needed for the 1793-1964 set.

There are about 9 fairly nice 1802 half dimes, and they come up for sale relatively often these days.
    from
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/937249/1802-half-dime-provenance-top-9-specimens

• Options

@Currin said:

This is the 3rd day of featuring Liberty Half Eagles. There are other series that I could feature, but the half eagles are just getting amazingly better. There appear to be an endless flow of new PCGS POP 1/0 $5 Liberties. There are more to come. If you have not been stun yet, wait for tomorrow.

1850 $5 MS63 Cert 35568386 PCGS POP 1/0 – Replaces 1850 $5 AU55 POP 11/25

This is an amazing specimen to be a lowly choice MS63. This is another coin that does not have a history. Maybe someone walked off the street in Richmond and handed this raw coin over the counter to John. From the last story, I would not be surprised. Jokes aside, this is a really nice coin. I think this is a very recent certified coin (maybe cross-over or re-cert). Coins Facts History shows the finest PCGS graded specimens as MS62s. The finest known example may be the Earle-Eliasberg-Milas NGC MS65 specimen. The last auction for the NGC MS65 states: NGC lists two MS65 coins, with no finer examples, supported by three MS61 pieces and two MS62 coins. However, we have only been able to trace this sole MS65 coin, with no other appearances in any auction exceeding MS62 in certified grade.

As stated, this MS63 could be a MS62 upgrade, or a coin off the street as we seen with the 1859. If anyone can find additional information, please share. For your view, I will share this new Hansen coin and the Earle-Eliasberg-Milas. You be judge if you think the MS65 example is two points better.

Hansen’s 1850 $5 MS63 PCGS POP 1/0 PCGS Price Guide Value $20,000

The Earle-Eliasberg-Milas 1850 Half Eagle, MS65 - 4/15 Heritage Auction realized $54,050

The PCGS MS63 1850 Half Eagle has the following pedigree:
    Pontchartrain Rarities, sold privately in 4/1993 - A.J. Vanderbilt Collection - Stack's/Bowers 3/2018:10338, $8,400 - D.L. Hansen Collection

• Options

The pedigree on the PCGS MS61 1873-CC $5 is as follows:
    Charley Tuppen Collection - Doug Winter - Nevada Collection - Stack's/Bowers 8/2018:1277, $168,000 - D.L. Hansen Collection

@Currin said:
    Half Eagle Updates - Episode 4

Day 4 of the half eagles. The Hansen Collection has upgraded 11 half eagles since ANA last week. I did not intend to spend so much time on half eagles, but with such great upgrades, it had to be done. I hope to finish today with a great run of Carson City half eagles. The run is complete from 1872 to 1876. This is not an easy run; it contains five very difficult half eagles to acquire in high grade. The upgrade contains one each: PCGS POP 1/0, PCGS 3/0, and the other three have a less than a hand full of finer examples. So, here they are, enjoy!

1872-CC $5 AU58 Cert 24078980 PCGS POP 3/0 – Replaces 1872-CC $5 AU55 7/3 CAC

David Akers (1975/88) - The 1872-CC is of comparable overall rarity to the 1871-CC although, in my opinion, it is a little more rare than the 1971-CC in full EF or better. I have not heard of one even close to uncirculated. Most known specimens are well worn with Fine and VF being typical.

This specimen last appeared in Heritage August 2012 Philadelphia ANA Auction where is sold for $29,375. No recent history is known and where Hansen acquired this coin is not publicly known. The PCGS Price Guide Value is $35,000.

Provenance: From the Battle Born Collection. Earlier from our (Stack's) Public Auction Sale of May 1989, lot 394; ex: Doug Winter and Lee Minshull, September 1998; and the Nevada Collection. The plate coin for the issue on page 30 of the 2001 book Gold Coins of the Carson City Mint by Douglas Winter and James L. Halperin.

**1872-CC Liberty Half Eagle. Winter 1-B. AU-58 (PCGS) **

1873-CC $5 MS61 Cert 84025617 PCGS POP 1/1 – Replaces 1873-CC $5 AU53 1/6

David Akers (1975/88) - The 1873-CC has the second lowest mintage of any Carson City Half Eagle. It is a very rare date in any condition and extremely rare as high as EF. I have seen one piece that was very close to uncirculated but none that have actually reached that level. As a date, the 1873-CC is more rare than the 1871-CC, 1872-CC, 1874-CC, 1876-CC and 1877-CC and is comparable to the 1875-CC. It is not quite as rare as either the 1870-CC or the 1878-CC. When available, the 1873-CC is almost always well worn, i.e. VF or less. All 1873-CC Half Eagles have a Closed 3 in the date.

This is the mystery coin of the run. There is not much known. PCGS Price Guide Value for this coin is $115,000. The one finer 1873-CC is the Bass-Battle Born MS62.

1873-CC $5 MS61

1874-CC $5 AU58 Cert 25631144 PCGS POP 8/3 CAC – Replaces 1874-CC $5 AU55 17/11 CAC

David Akers (1975/88) - In overall rarity, the 1874-CC is possibly the most common of the very rare Carson City Mint issues in the 1870-1878 period. (At least it had more auction appearances in my 337 catalogue survey and I have personally seen more of this date than of any of the others.) Most known specimens of the 1874-CC are well circulated and VF examples are typical. A few AU coins are known but only one 1874-CC catalogued as uncirculated has ever been offered at public auction. That coin was in the Robison Sale (Stack's 2/79) and it brought $19,000.

This coin was sold recently on Douglas Winter Numismatics website for $22,500. Described as: This is a very choice coin with just a tiny amount of friction seen on the high spots. The strike is sharp and the surfaces are very choice save for two thin, short scratches between the 8 and the 7 in the date. The color is a rich orange-gold hue which is seen on both sides and which adds considerable appeal to an already-choice presentation. The PCGS Price Guide Value price the coin at $26,000.

CONDITION CENSUS 1874-CC HALF EAGLE, PCGS/CAC AU58

1875-CC $5 MS61 CERT 24078982 PCGS POP 1/0 – Replaces 1875-CC $5 AU55 6/1

David Akers (1975/88) -Most 1875-CC Half Eagles are in lower circulated grades from VG to VF. I have seen only one piece that graded full AU, and none in strictly uncirculated condition. As a date, the 1875-CC is comparable to the 1873-CC and more rare than the 1871-CC, 1872-CC, 1874-CC, 1876-CC and 1877-CC. All specimens I have seen were rather weakly struck, particularly on the obverse.

The last public appearance was the Heritage August 2012 Philadelphia ANA auction and sold for $38,187.50. The auction description: Charming surfaces are aglow with even olive-orange patina and vibrant, satiny mint luster. We note an uncommonly smooth appearance for the grade, there being no sizeable or otherwise individually distracting abrasions on either side. Striking quality varies for this issue depending upon the exact die marriage encountered, although as a whole the 1875-CC is among the more softly defined half eagles from this mint. The present example is actually quite sharp on the obverse, there being only a touch of weakness to the central high points (namely the hair curls and tresses above and below Liberty's ear). The reverse is typically softer and actually quite blunt in the center, although one will see sharp to full detail toward the periphery. There are no readily evident pedigree markers.

There is one finer non-PCGS certified example, the NGC MS-63 specimen from Cutler Collection.

Provenance: From the Battle Born Collection. Earlier ex: our (Stack's) sale of the Robison Collection of United States Gold Coins, February 1979, lot 498; our (Stack's) sale of the Reed Hawn Collection, October 1993, lot 995; Dr. Larry Cutler Collection; Doug Winter and Lee Minshull, November 1996; and the Nevada Collection. The plate coin for the issue on page 36 of the 2001 book, Gold Coins of the Carson City Mint, by Douglas Winter and James L. Halperin.

1875-CC Liberty Half Eagle. Winter 1-B. MS-61 (PCGS) CAC

1876-CC $5 AU58 CERT 03363556 PCGS POP 3/1– Replaces 1876-CC $5 AU55 7/4

David Akers (1975/88) - The 1876-CC has the lowest mintage of any Carson City Mint Half Eagle. It is not the rarest, however, but is of approximately the same rarity as the 1871-CC, 1872-CC and 1877-CC and a little more rare than the 1874-CC. It is not as rare as the 1870-CC, 1873-CC, 1875-CC, or 1878-CC. Almost all known specimens are well circulated with VF being typical.

This coin last appeared in the Heritage 2016 September Twelve Oaks Collection Signature Auction and sold for $37,600. The auction description: This coin boasts an impressive array of toning shades for a gold coin, ranging from canary-yellow through reddish-orange, ruddy cherry-red, lilac, and brownish-charcoal, complementing the considerable remaining luster and a decent strike. A few scattered ticks are of little consequence. A prominent die lump on Liberty's throat, just below the jawline, is typical of these dies.

There is only one certified mint state specimen for the 1876-CC, and it is a mind blower. The finest specimen is Eliasberg - Battle Born PCGS MS66, last sold in Stacks Bower 2012 for $487,625. If there is one half eagle that Hansen should have and need to seek is this one. The specimen was in the famous Eliasberg collection, and deserves to be in the Hansen Collection.

PCGS Price Guide Value: $35,000

Provenance: From The Twelve Oaks Collection

1876-CC Half Eagle, Elusive AU58

• Options

@BestGerman said:

@Currin said:

The PCGS MS63 1850 Half Eagle has the following pedigree:
    Pontchartrain Rarities, sold privately in 4/1993 - A.J. Vanderbilt Collection - Stack's/Bowers 3/2018:10338, $8,400 - D.L. Hansen Collection

Thanks for solving the mystery. It was a upgrade from a PCGS MS62 OGH specimen. He turned a $8500 purchse into a $20K investment. John knows what he is doing.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@dbldie55 said:

We actually made an offer indirectly on this piece to fill the hole, but it was not accepted.

There are actually 2-3 others that are "available" on the market right now and we'd rather have a higher grade example than simply a hole-filler at the moment, but we'll see if any of those work out in the coming weeks.
    If not, we can be patient on it.

The 1802 Half Dime is an under-appreciated rarity over the years, but I would suggest that due to its size, it's not a very "sexy" coin to hold on to. They seem to trade hands more often than one would expect...

John Brush
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

The 1802 Half Dime is an under-appreciated rarity over the years, but I would suggest that due to its size, it's not a very "sexy" coin to hold on to. They seem to trade hands more often than one would expect...

It might also have something to do with most of the coins being kind of ugly and messed with. A gem VF - if it were to turn up - would probably find buyers lined up around the block. And I’d be in the line!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

It might also have something to do with most of the coins being kind of ugly and messed with. A gem VF - if it were to turn up - would probably find buyers lined up around the block. And I’d be in the line!

Exactly.

John Brush

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file