Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD AND SILVER, ECONOMIC NEWS, COINS, 2018

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 2:19PM

In the long run the US cannot and will not allow higher rates. It cost them more to service their extremely high debt. It also increases their entitlement costs via cost of living increases.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the fed knows they can't raise rates much more, the govt can't afford higher interest rates to pay off the 21 trillion dollar debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    @cohodk said: Scapegoat. 3% interest rates won't kill the economy.

Then why have rates been at 0% for the past 10 years? I see rising rates at this time to be a political ploy. Pure & Simple.

Of course you see a conspiracy.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 3:34PM

@cohodk said: Of course you see a conspiracy.

…..and of course you offer no explanation for an unprecedented "anomaly"......

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    @cohodk said: Is he looking for a scapegoat?

If he is correct, is it a scapegoat or an accurate assessment?

Scapegoat. 3% interest rates won't kill the economy.

We won't have to worry about that. Unless we decide to spend another $1 trillion USD we don't have that is.....

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Well I started reading the entire post on the hopes that it would make me more aware and smarter . It worked, I wasn't aware how little knowledge I had about the economy or how little I understood. The entire post has left me baffled as to what it was about. See ! Before, I wouldn't have been able to determine I was ignorantly befuddled . And now I can. It's not the fact that I didn't understand any of it. It's the fact that I can realize " I didn't understand any of it". Dang I'm ready to try for a doctorate in Economics.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    After having wealth wiped out 3 times for most Americans I am surprised others don’t see these truths. Held rates down too long. They are trying to correct let’s all hope it works out.

?????????????

I must be living on a different planet, but I know of no one who had their wealth even wiped out once.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@bobsr said:
    Well I started reading the entire post on the hopes that it would make me more aware and smarter . It worked, I wasn't aware how little knowledge I had about the economy or how little I understood. The entire post has left me baffled as to what it was about. See ! Before, I wouldn't have been able to determine I was ignorantly befuddled . And now I can. It's not the fact that I didn't understand any of it. It's the fact that I can realize " I didn't understand any of it". Dang I'm ready to try for a doctorate in Economics.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

If you read the threads from prior years it would all be clear or at least you would be more aware. ;)

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    @cohodk said: Of course you see a conspiracy.

…..and of course you offer no explanation for an unprecedented "anomaly"......

I'd explain it you, and I have in the past, but you wouldn't hear, just like you haven't in the past. What do they say about repeating and expecting a different result?

Seriously...you think the fed is raising rates to make Trump look bad? He really doesn't need any help. Lol

Simple is...the market wants higher rates and is flourishing with them. Just look at the improvement in economic numbers over the last 2 years.

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    @cohodk said: Is he looking for a scapegoat?

If he is correct, is it a scapegoat or an accurate assessment?

Scapegoat. 3% interest rates won't kill the economy.

We won't have to worry about that. Unless we decide to spend another $1 trillion USD we don't have that is.....

Probably closer to 100 trillion.

• Options

• Options

I'm surprised that you still quote zerohedge..........nothing but a internet tabloid with manipulated part truths. :p

• Options
    edited July 21, 2018 5:52PM

@OPA said:

I'm surprised that you still quote zerohedge..........nothing but a internet tabloid with manipulated part truths. :p

Another source

Feel free to enlighten us on the untruths.

• Options

@OPA said:

@Kkathyl said:
    After having wealth wiped out 3 times for most Americans I am surprised others don’t see these truths. Held rates down too long. They are trying to correct let’s all hope it works out.

?????????????

I must be living on a different planet, but I know of no one who had their wealth even wiped out once.

I know a number of people who had their retirements wiped out in 2008 because they trusted their retirement account managers.

• Options

@derryb said:

@OPA said:

@Kkathyl said:

?????????????

I know a number of people who had their retirements wiped out in 2008 because they trusted their retirement account managers.

I love to hear the details.

• Options

@OPA said:

We've already exposed them as Russian front for fake news.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:
    I'm not going to get into your guys entertaining battle, but I can speak on finding skilled labor as a hiring engineer in the northeast (Boston)

Electricians, technicians, mechanics, etc..... it takes almost 3 to 4 months to find a qualified person in this job market, and money is not the issue, we pay top dollar. People have too many options. We have to find creative ways to attract workers. It's not enough to give them the $40 hr, and the full bennifet package. They want the 2 to 3 weeks vac to start, they want tools payed for. They want child care, etc.....

I'm telling you it's getting ridiculous. If your a manufacturing manager and you want to keep a plant running you have to keep your people and know most millennials are going for a degree program and no one is learning a trade,

the skilled labor force is aging and know how scarce they are around here. The average age of an electrician in mass is 54, that says something about the labor pool going forward.

So I would tell the 20 somethings to get a skilled trade certificate, like a licence electrician, industrial control tech, these skills will be in very high demand for the next several decades, even with all the robotics, we still have to repair them when they fail.

Like I say, if your toilet is plugged, are you going to want a plumber, or someone with a B.A. in Afro-American Trans-Gender Theatre?

thefinn
  • Options

@cohodk said:

@OPA said:

sounds like another one of your conspiracy theories

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@OPA said:

sounds like another one of your conspiracy theories

You do realize you suffer from this...

https://www.everydayhealth.com/emotional-health/psychological-projection-dealing-with-undesirable-emotions/

• Options

and you're also a shrink? Try to be good at one thing, you're stretching yourself thin.

• Options

@derryb said:
    and you're also a shrink? Try to be good at one thing, you're stretching yourself thin.

Apparently I'm good at getting under your skin too. Like a parasite. Haha. You know how to get rid of parasites..it's in my sigline.

Tell me some stories of these "money markers" that are so afraid.

Anyone have some negative economic news? How about positive PM news?

• Options

• Options

@derryb said:

It all makes sense now.....the cartoons, the constant feeling of fear, the flip flopping, the incessant excuses, the lack of original thought, the inept of comprehension.......youre still in middle school. I feel like such a bully now. I'm so sorry.

• Options

Actually I enjoy helping you to expose yourself.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Actually I enjoy helping you to expose yourself.

Now that's a mutual feeling!! Rock on dude.

Another day, another big company reporting huge profits. Whoohoo!!

• Options
    edited July 23, 2018 3:57PM

@cohodk said:

Another day, another big company reporting huge profits. Whoohoo!!

And which accounting rules are they applying? Marked to Myth or Marked to Market? Since the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) changed the rules, under pressure from Congress and the financial-services industry, to hide accurate valuation after the last crisis it's kinda hard to place a true valuation on any current reports, even those not released by the government.

• Options

Too bad your misconceptions are keeping you from creating great wealth.

Some folk are just too smart to make money. Lol

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 6:13AM

@OPA said: I'm surprised that you still quote zerohedge..........nothing but a internet tabloid with manipulated part truths.

It takes me about 30 seconds listening to the mainstream media to come to that same conclusion. Zerohedge is more refined on most days, however.

@cohodk said: We've already exposed them as Russian front for fake news.

Not that it would totally surprise me, but please provide that information. When and where was this determined?

What we think and how we look at life depends on the sum total of what we know, both proven and unproven - over the length of a lifetime. As many public stories have evolved and morphed from the originals into whole new accountings of the facts over the years, it's quite likely that many of the things we held to be fact are at best half-truths, spun by whoever has an objective that they want to achieve, hidden or blatant - it makes no difference.

If that weren't bad enough, there is a whole host of facts that are routinely hidden from the general public - l'est they become irate for being played. Lies, and damned lies. This includes the upper echelons of our elected officials, the banking system, the corporate decision-makers, the clergy, Wall Street - what's left?

Whether or not Zerohedge is a Russian front is of very little consequence - the Russians have been playing those games for many decades. When ZH brings out issues that are being hidden by the "mainstreet" media, who cares? Is our media any better? Let me answer that - no, they are not (and they are probably even worse). I'd certainly appreciate your proof of the assertion that Zerohedge is Russian-based however. When and where was this expose'?

About the media, it's pretty well recognized that CIA is involved in our own media, stemming all the way back to WWII, and probably further back as well. Shaping public attitudes, isn't that what it's all about? If you think Netflix is neutral with Susan Rice on their payroll, think again. There's one proven liar who absolutely needs to lose her security clearance!

Let's talk about the hostile act of spying on US citizens. It's funny how awful it was when the Church hearings were being held and the decisions were made that it was bad, bad, bad - to spy on US citizens, but now it's fine & dandy to build a data center in Utah that records every byte of data that can be recalled whenever gov.com wants to press a point against an individual. Not to mention all-seeing Google and all-hearing Apple. Worse than the old East German regime by a factor of 10X. Even George Orwell would be stunned.

In sum, when someone starts disparaging some of the conclusions I've reached over many years of considered thought, I evaluate their motivations. Personal integrity still counts, down here at street level. If you believe that the whole system is sound, have at it. But don't delude yourself that everyone buys the story.

And you wonder why people buy precious metals. lol.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goodness, jmski52. Such cynicism! (I'm not intending criticism, though. I'd long considered cynicism to be the protective mantel of a frustrated idealist. If I'm right on that score about you, then we probably have a great deal in common!)

In my view, people are flawed creatures, and have always been so. There's nothing intrinsically wonderful or bestial about Americans as a group (indeed, America, of all places and given our history, is the home of Everybody). What makes us special are our institutions, that were insightfully (if imperfectly) crafted to allow relatively stable and just governance. And in my experience, there remain many of us who believe in our institutions and will commit themselves to foster and defend them--including a great many in government.

Yes there always have been and will be those who are venal, who exploit and who manipulate at the expense of others. Yet the success of our institutions in contributing to a more just, more prosperous and more peaceful world remains astounding from an historic perspective.

Those institutions are under assault, of course, and seem to be more acutely so, at least in my lifetime. And yet our history features other eras of crisis, exploitative power and visceral incivility. Individuals of all stripes and status who devote themselves to "preserving, protecting and defending the Constitution" have seen us through those times up to now, however, well enough for human-being activity. Our best power is to personally live that devotion in our lives as citizens.

• Options

The Founders were educated and smart, and they hammered out one of the greatest documents of all-time. They knew what was coming down the pike.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

• Options

"A growing number are "ghosting" their jobs: blowing off scheduled job interviews, accepting offers but not showing up the first day and even vanishing from existing positions – all without giving notice."

Unemployment benefits are too strong. One is only required to seek employment.

• Options

@derryb said:

"A growing number are "ghosting" their jobs: blowing off scheduled job interviews, accepting offers but not showing up the first day and even vanishing from existing positions – all without giving notice."

Unemployment benefits are too strong. One is only required to seek employment.

The benefits of not being in the workforce are too strong. This has been a problem for decades and exploded during the Great Recession of 2008-09.

For Joe Six Pack the breakeven point is around $500/week. Earning under $500 is less cost effective than simply sucking down $500/week in Gov't handouts and staying out of the workforce. Tens of millions of Americans fall into this category. Likely over 50 million.

• Options

@cohodk said:

my wealth is just fine (and insured). Some folk are just to narrow minded to make real money.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

my wealth is just fine (and insured). Some folk are just to narrow minded to make real money.

Boy, if your brains were gunpowder, you wouldnt have enough to blow your nose---Earl Dibbles Jr. HAHAHA

• Options

@VanHalen said:

Tens of millions of Americans fall into this category. Likely over 50 million.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/jobless-claims-edge-up-3000-to-229000-2018-01-18 The number of Americans collecting unemployment benefits drops to 45-year low

The number of people already collecting unemployment benefits, known as continuing claims, fell by 57,000 to 1.83 million. That’s the lowest level since December 1973. Yeah, 50 million is pretty close to 1.8 million. LMFAO!!

• Options

@cohodk said:

@VanHalen said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/jobless-claims-edge-up-3000-to-229000-2018-01-18 The number of Americans collecting unemployment benefits drops to 45-year low

The number of people already collecting unemployment benefits, known as continuing claims, fell by 57,000 to 1.83 million. That’s the lowest level since December 1973. Yeah, 50 million is pretty close to 1.8 million. LMFAO!!

It has nothing to do with collecting unemployment. Never did.

My local area reports 2.5% unemployment while thousands walk the streets without a job or unemployment benefits but plenty of income from gov't transfers.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@VanHalen said:

this is because there is a time limit on getting the free money.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Q2 GDP 4.1%
    Q3?
    Q4?

• Options

The China currency war

"while the mainstream media clamors on about the trade war – be aware that the currency war is where the real action will be."

• Options

@renman95 said:
    Q2 GDP 4.1%
    Q3?
    Q4?

Q3 GDP 3.6%
    Q4 GDP 3.9%
    2018 GDP 3.5%

2019 annual? Could be 3.5% as well if we continue to print our way to prosperity for the top quartile as we have for many years now.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    @OPA said: I'm surprised that you still quote zerohedge..........nothing but a internet tabloid with manipulated part truths.

It takes me about 30 seconds listening to the mainstream media to come to that same conclusion. Zerohedge is more refined on most days, however.

Not that it would totally surprise me, but please provide that information. When and where was this determined?

I second that motion - I'm still waiting for the claimed reference to "we've already exposed them [ZeroHedge] as Russian front for fake news".

• Options

@cohodk said:

If you are such a financial "know it all", then wouldn't you be wealthy enough to have something better to do than post on this forum ?

Or maybe you are here to put lipstick on the pigs you want to sell ?

• Options

@dcarr said:

@jmski52 said:

I second that motion - I'm still waiting for the claimed reference to "we've already exposed them [ZeroHedge] as Russian front for fake news".

Search for the time around the 2016 elections..

Or do your own homework.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

If you are such a financial "know it all", then wouldn't you be wealthy enough to have something better to do than post on this forum ?

Some things you cant buy with money. ;)

• Options
    edited July 28, 2018 6:28PM

Come on, cohodk. If there was an expose', I never saw it. If you are going to cite something, then back it up.

And furthermore, my previous comment still stands, to wit - "Whether or not Zerohedge is a Russian front is of very little consequence - the Russians have been playing those games for many decades. When ZH brings out issues that are being hidden by the "mainstreet" media, who cares? Is our media any better? Let me answer that - no, they are not (and they are probably even worse)."

This is the perpetual problem with "facts" that aren't documented by good primary sources.

I'm from Missouri - you'll have to show me. Otherwise, I must assume that you're just blowing smoke. :)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2018 6:02PM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@jmski52 said:

Or do your own homework.

That is not how it works. He who brings it up, must back it up.
    What you stated regarding ZeroHedge "exposed" as a Russian front is hearsay unless you can cite a reputable reference.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@jmski52 said:

Or do your own homework.

What you stated regarding ZeroHedge "exposed" as a Russian front is hearsay unless you can cite a reputable reference.

You can make up your own mind, but there are numerous references on line on that possibility, including
    Wkipidea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge

• Options

@OPA said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@jmski52 said:

Or do your own homework.

You can make up your own mind, but there are numerous references on line on that possibility, including
    Wkipidea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge

Ok, now we have a reference, thanks.

Personally, I never read ZeroHedge (and I don't put much stock in NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX either).
    But from what I've read that quotes ZeroHedge, it seems that they are more pro-gold than anything.
    Russia is also pro-gold, so I could see some collateral overlap.

I'm not a "fan" or "supporter" of Russia in any way. But I have to wonder if all the negative press they receive is really because they don't want to be subjects of our banking system.

• Options

Haha