Home Precious Metals
Options

GOLD AND SILVER, ECONOMIC NEWS, COINS, 2018

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.nfib.com/foundations/research-center/monthly-reports/jobs-report/

Small Businesses Unfilled Job Openings Reaches Record High

"The July jobs report shows the magnitude of small businesses that are growing and hiring at record levels, creating new jobs and opportunities for the workforce, and offering employees higher compensation,” said NFIB President and CEO Juanita D. Duggan.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2018 1:40PM

yea, yea, ZH is just part of the "great right-wing conspiracy". No doubt about it. sarc/off.

All of the citations in wiki are from extremely biased left-wing sources. Bloomberg Radio, Columbia Journalism Review, Paul Krugman & NYT, CNN Money. Not to mention that paragon of virtue in the banking industry - BoA.

Sources that are almost as legit as a British spy-produced dossier done in conjunction with "the Russians", illegally rubber-stamped for the FISA Court by a corrupt FBI, and paid for by the DNC and Hillary Clinton campaign, in order to smear Trump.

Haha, indeed.

Any more questions?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

The warmongers (profiteers) created the boogeyman and keep him alive.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Jmski--keep reading your RT.com, they seem to have a tight grasp on you.

Derryb--BOO!!! ...........Man, I love doing that!! Hahaha

The longer metals stay depressed and further behind the PM faithful fall, the more jaded they becone. Fascinating watching this play out. I knew it would happen. ;l

• Options
    edited August 3, 2018 9:57PM

Funny, I don't think the Freedom Caucus is involved with RT, and it seems that new aspects of the widespread corruption is being exposed daily, in Congress. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the stonewalling by DOJ and FBI is all about. It's in the public arena now. It's not conjecture, so why the derisive comments? There's nothing jaded about it. It's fact.

Are the metals depressed? If so, it may be an opportune time to keep stacking, which is what I've been doing. Of course, you could always buy more stocks at the top of the market in one of the longest uptrending stock markets in history without a serious pullback. There's always that option.

Or bonds. hahahahaha. Sometimes, I just can't help it.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

widespread corruption is being exposed daily, in Congress

Freedom Caucus, from their own website......The House Freedom Caucus is a congressional caucus in the U.S. House of Representatives.

SMH....

You been talking opportune time to buy metals and sell stocks for years now. You've been falling behind and getting older. Yeah, I know, it sucks.

3.9% unemployment.
    4.1% GDP--4th best on planet
    Low interest rates.
    Dang!!!

• Options

Don't worry about me, coho - I'm socking away enough in metals at depressed prices to make the whole venture worthwhile. But I appreciate your concern. :)

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most "bloodied hands" will eventually heal. The secret is, to live long enough to see it happen. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Don't worry about me, coho - I'm socking away enough in metals at depressed prices to make the whole venture worthwhile. But I appreciate your concern. :)

Oh, I ain't worried, but you do have my sympathies.

• Options

@cohodk said: You been talking opportune time to buy metals and sell stocks for years now. You've been falling behind and getting older. Yeah, I know, it sucks.

[I've accumulated metals since 1998 and in 2006-2008 I sold all my stocks and bought metals. It was a good call, btw. My cost basis is quite low - and I didn't have to climb back from a 50% loss after the 2008 stock market crash.]

3.9% unemployment. [this is a good thing, I'd rather be around people who aren't in trouble financially].

4.1% GDP--4th best on planet [as compared to $21 trillion in debt - the most in recorded human history - plus God only knows how much in unfunded liabilities]

Low interest rates. [your buddies at the Fed are raising them, and they know they're backed into a corner with the debt. The bond market isn't going to like what happens when rates go back up. Not to worry, they'll just keystroke more money and continue to play the same old shell game. What does all that mean? You tell me. All I can tell you is that it's not remotely related to classical finance.]

I'm not playing stocks & bonds with ya, but thanks anyway. :)

@OPA said: Most "bloodied hands" will eventually heal. The secret is, to live long enough to see it happen.

Well, the point to "averaging in" is that you have to be consistent or it's just not a valid approach. You could do exactly the same with the Vanguard 500 Fund, except that someone else still controls your assets.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I didn't have to climb back from a 50% loss after the 2008 stock market crash.

Hasn't silver crashed 70% and gold 40%? Oh, but you're OK since you bought at 8, right? Lol.

You and your "classic finance". It's more like clueless finance. Like how you've been saying for the last 2 years that higher rates would destroy the economy and stock market. I vehemently disagreed, and well, looks like I was right.

Your PMs will again have their day in the sun, no doubt, but you guys need to crawl out of you holes and enjoy the sun shining all around you.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2018 5:12PM

@cohodk said: You and your "classic finance". It's more like clueless finance. Like how you've been saying for the last 2 years that higher rates would destroy the economy and stock market.

You may not believe that the lower rates you crowed about were accomplished by issuing more debt, but that's how it works. You may not think that more debt is a big deal, but I do. It will certainly affect you in the long run.

The question is where you want to be positioned. You may not think that there's the likelihood of a stock market panic, or a real estate crash but we both know that these things do happen, and for various reasons. I like my assets real.

The sun has been shining all around my business and my income is the most it's ever been. In case you missed it, let me restate the above for you - the point to "averaging in" is that you have to be consistent or it's just not a valid approach.

You could do exactly the same with the Vanguard 500 Fund, except that someone else still controls your assets.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

European Threats

"We could see Europe faced with monetary tightening, hard Brexit, an Italian breakdown, popular unrest not just in France but all over, a trade war and a German/Italian bank crisis all at the same time. Again, this is not a far-off possibility. It could all be happening in the next three or four months. If some combination of these crises develops into a perfect storm, the pain won’t stay in Europe. US, Canadian, Latin American, and Asian companies that do business with Europe will lose sales and have to lay off workers. Lenders everywhere who own Euro debt will face losses. Highly leveraged derivatives could blow up, forcing bailouts and currency interventions. We don’t know where it would lead but certainly nowhere good."

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    European Threats

"We could see Europe faced with monetary tightening, hard Brexit, an Italian breakdown, popular unrest not just in France but all over, a trade war and a German/Italian bank crisis all at the same time. Again, this is not a far-off possibility. It could all be happening in the next three or four months. If some combination of these crises develops into a perfect storm, the pain won’t stay in Europe. US, Canadian, Latin American, and Asian companies that do business with Europe will lose sales and have to lay off workers. Lenders everywhere who own Euro debt will face losses. Highly leveraged derivatives could blow up, forcing bailouts and currency interventions. We don’t know where it would lead but certainly nowhere good."

We don’t know where it would lead but certainly nowhere good.
    supposition on top of supposition except the last layer of supposition reads like the first supposition is fact.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2018 10:39PM

This might be a good future indicator of gold's direction when equities fall. Note that while remaining stable the last few weeks gold has climbed relative to a declining S&P 500 index.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

Freedom Caucus, from their own website......The House Freedom Caucus is a congressional caucus in the U.S. House of Representatives.

SMH....

You been talking opportune time to buy metals and sell stocks for years now. You've been falling behind and getting older. Yeah, I know, it sucks.

3.9% unemployment.
    4.1% GDP--4th best on planet
    Low interest rates.
    Dang!!!

Looking at the world with rose-colored glasses does one thing - it camouflages the red (ink) of debt and deficits.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

..............You've been falling behind and getting older. Yeah, I know, it sucks.

>

Ouch! You really know how to hurt a guy. :(

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

..............You've been falling behind and getting older. Yeah, I know, it sucks.

>

Ouch! You really know how to hurt a guy. :(

Imagine the stress associated with operating a business that has seen crushing demand destruction and poor demographics. Must be brutal.

• Options

@derryb said:
    This might be a good future indicator of gold's direction when equities fall. Note that while remaining stable the last few weeks gold has climbed relative to a declining S&P 500 index.

Are you sure that's gold and not cash, treasuries, utility stocks, or emerging markets? Cuz those look quite similar.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:
    European Threats

We don’t know where it would lead but certainly nowhere good.
    supposition on top of supposition except the last layer of supposition reads like the first supposition is fact.

3 could
    1 if
    1 war
    1 storm
    1 pain
    And 2 crisis
    All wrapped up by "we don't know".

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, it's probably true that if 2 or 3 or four or more black swan events occurred simultaneously, that would probably be bad for the financial markets and economy.

Quite the savvy and brilliant observation and insight. Impressive!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley said:
    Actually, it's probably true that if 2 or 3 or four or more black swan events occurred simultaneously, that would probably be bad for the financial markets and economy.

Quite the savvy and brilliant observation and insight. Impressive!

the key word left out of the original is in yours: "if"

if things go really wrong it would lead to nowhere good.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Gold - A Perfect Storm For 2019

". . . far from there being a dollar shortage, as market participants believe, the world is awash with dollars to an extraordinary degree. The great dollar unwind is now overhanging markets."

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it's time to stop buying metals and start buying the clct stock? Hitting new 52 week lows daily...……...Then again probably should just keep buying the Au.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited December 13, 2018 7:58PM

@derryb said:

". . . far from there being a dollar shortage, as market participants believe, the world is awash with dollars to an extraordinary degree. The great dollar unwind is now overhanging markets."

Is this 60 years of broken promise?-- (from the above referenced source). Have we not on this board been told that as money supply increases so will the price of gold? Have we been lied to?

• Options
    edited December 13, 2018 8:04PM

@cohodk said:
    Have we not on this board been told that as money supply increases so will the price of gold? Have we been lied

I seem to recall that gold reached it's all time high shortly after the FED printed trillions of new dollars. But then again I may be wrong. LOL

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    Have we not on this board been told that as money supply increases so will the price of gold? Have we been lied

I seem to recall that gold reached it's all time high shortly after the FED printed trillions of new dollars. But then again I may be wrong. LOL

Hey, your link says gold hasnt kept up printed dollars. Are you saying your link is spreading false info?

• Options

We > @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Hey, your link says gold hasnt kept up printed dollars. Are you saying your link is spreading false info?

My link says it about to catch up.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2018 5:30AM

@derryb said:
    We > @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Like death?

• Options

• Options

More cartoon creatures?

Sure would be nice to have an intelligent discussion with you.

• Options

impossible to be intelligent with a troll.

• Options

@derryb said:
    impossible to be intelligent with a troll.

Yes...that's very true. When you are asked to provide additional information to support a claim you post a cartoon or a selfie (see above). And you do the same when presented with truth and fact.

That's very childish and you are not providing any substance or knowledge to the forum. It's quite sad.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have we not on this board been told that as money supply increases so will the price of gold? Have we been lied to?

" I seem to recall that gold reached it's all time high shortly after the FED printed trillions of new dollars. But then again I may be wrong. LOL"

"My link says it about to catch up."

"About to,"
    So... any day now?

Looking forward to you being right about this... been reading you say it for over 7 years..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@cohodk said:
    More cartoon creatures?

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    We > @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Like death?

• Options

no

• Options

@cohodk said:

Yes it would. Not gonna happen until you quit the trolling and start acting intelligent.

• Options

It's not just the dollars/debt that have been created officially. The problem encompasses unfunded pensions, entitlement programs, and financial derivatives.

Somebody's not gonna get paid, and they aren't going to like it. If the right people get stiffed, you will see real inflation hit the street. The bankers will panic, just like they did in 2008. This time, it won't be so easy to fix.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Yes it would. Not gonna happen until you quit the trolling and start acting intelligent.

Continue to post false and misleading info and expect to be called out. This is America. Its called seeking the truth, not trolling. I asked a question that you yourself should have asked. Intelligence is borne of questions not regurgitation.

In your link, there is a graph that shows the price of gold at a 60 year low relative to dollar creation, yet it has been said 100s of times on this forum that gold goes up when dollars are diluted. If this is true, then why does your link post a graph showing the opposite?

Or answer this please, since 2008 how much has the dollar been diluted and how has the price of gold responded?

Let's try to create some formula here...for example, how much dilution is needed to cause a 50% increase in the price of gold. And there are other equations that can be created as well, that just may make plausible the projection of the price of gold in the future.

Are there any gold pundits out there who actually conduct good economic and mathematical work? Or do they all rely on fear and supposition and nafarious theories to derive projections.

Intelligent and inquiring minds want to know.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2018 8:21AM

@cohodk said:

and others just like to stir hate and discontent. Accept the fact that you are a troll.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    It's not just the dollars/debt that have been created officially. The problem encompasses unfunded pensions, entitlement programs, and financial derivatives.

Somebody's not gonna get paid, and they aren't going to like it. If the right people get stiffed, you will see real inflation hit the street. The bankers will panic, just like they did in 2008. This time, it won't be so easy to fix.

Jmski, your financed automobile and house are unfunded liabilities, yet they do get paid. Are the promises too high? Probably. But the road is long and the can in good condition.

How would "the right people getting stiffed" lead to inflation? When people got stiffed in 1894, or 1930 or 2008 the result was deflation. Who are the "right people"?

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

and others just like to stir hate and discontent. Accept the fact that you are a troll.

Lol....youre the one who constantly posts negatives and how horrible things are. While I've posted confidence and perspective. I think you are viewing yourself as a victim of your own reaping.

I asked a question, if you cant answer it then you know you are only posting misinformation and sowing the seeds of discontent.

You act like you're the only person on this board I've questioned. Lol

I know you live in fear, but if you're afraid of being presented with a differing point of view based on logic, rationalism, and plain old experience, then maybe this just isnt the place you.

Knowledge triumphs fear. Always has, always will.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2018 11:19AM

Jmski, your financed automobile and house are unfunded liabilities,

You obviously know a different jmski.

How would "the right people getting stiffed" lead to inflation?

Don't try to tell me that you don't know who I'm talking about. You work for the industry. What conversations about non-payments are you having in board meetings now?

The main glitch in the system is that bankers get free money on demand and have so much latitude in credit creation that it promotes corruption.

That needs to change and insolvent banks need to fail, just like Lehman & IndyMac. Just like BoA, Goldman, Merrill Lynch, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Washington Mutual, Wachovia, Citigroup and AIG should have been put in receivership and their boards prosecuted for malfeasance and fraud.

But hey, that might hurt too many people's feelings.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2018 2:37PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Lol....youre the one who constantly posts negatives and how horrible things are.

No, I post the links to what are often professional opinion of others. If their opinion offends your snowflake, rainbow world, then don't read it. When you do read, keep in mind that your attempts to discredit the messenger do not discredit the message. Distraction only works when the reader is easily distracted. I suspect our fellow members are smarter than that. Treat them accordingly.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 2:25AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Is this 60 years of broken promise?-- (from the above referenced source). Have we not on this board been told that as money supply increases so will the price of gold? Have we been lied to?

Your chart doesn't consider the hoarding of US Dollars (as a "reserve currency") by central banks around the world. This has been especially pronounced during the last couple decades. It has been stated "the market can remain irrational far longer than you can remain solvent". That is quite true. The Fundamentals will eventually take over. But it usually takes longer (even much longer) than expected. With so many entities around the world willing to purchase US debt and Dollars, it is not surprising that the Dollar has been strong relative to other competing currencies and assets. But the willingness of central banks to purchase increasing quantities of debt and Dollars seems to be faltering. How long will it last ? Going forward it looks like government deficits will be increasingly funded by the printing press.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Your chart doesn't consider the hoarding of US Dollars (as a "reserve currency") by central banks around the world. This has been especially pronounced during the last couple decades. It has been stated "the market can remain irrational far longer than you can remain solvent". That is quite true. The Fundamentals will eventually take over. But it usually takes longer (even much longer) than expected. With so many entities around the world willing to purchase US debt and Dollars, it is not surprising that the Dollar has been strong relative to other competing currencies and assets. But the willingness of central banks to purchase increasing quantities of debt and Dollars seems to be faltering. How long will it last ? Going forward it looks like government deficits will be increasingly funded by the printing press.

Not my chart and you are probably correct. However, there is much more real estate to travel than many think.

That's been my position all along and is why the doom and gloom predicted by some in this forum has exceeded the lifespan of several members.

Ironically, that real estate has been reduced by some who supposedly know a lot about real estate, so just maybe, just maybe, some will have to opportunity to say, "see, I told you so". Until then, we should not lose sight of the opportunity we have everyday in perusing our everyday endeavors.

So, does anyone believe the Trump tax cuts have pulled economic activity forward resulting in 2019 seeing weaker comps than 2018?

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Lol....youre the one who constantly posts negatives and how horrible things are.

No, I post the links to what are often professional opinion of others. If their opinion offends your snowflake, rainbow world, then don't read it. When you do read, keep in mind that your attempts to discredit the messenger do not discredit the message. Distraction only works when the reader is easily distracted. I suspect our fellow members are smarter than that. Treat them accordingly.

Well, ferryb, if the professional opinion uses misinformation then they should be called out. That's what makes the world go 'round. If you need to wear darker shades to cut the brightness of truth, then that is not my problem.

Misinformation and lies and questionable fundamentals shall continue to be exposed, unless the forum wishes otherwise.

Why don't you start a poll asking the forum ---yes, this is a forum of above average intellect--if I should leave the collective. If so, then I shall don my gold jumper, hop on my silver unicorn, and ride off into the glorious world of sugar plums and lollipops while spreading rainbows across the horizon with my magical wand.

• Options

No one wants you to leave. I for one only wish for your disagreement to focus on what you disagree with and not on the person sharing it. Its the personal attacks that bring question to your true intention.

• Options

@derryb said:
    No one wants you to leave. I for one only wish for your disagreement to focus on what you disagree with and not on the person sharing it. Its the personal attacks that bring question to your true intention.

Mirrors derryb, mirrors.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2018 4:59AM

And on the subject of bad debt. . .

Corporate America has leveraged itself to the hilt to buy back shares.

Seemed like a good plan; borrow cheap money. Instead of wisely investing in the business in the form of Property Plant and Equipment, why not invest it in executive bonuses via stock buybacks.

"Then there is General Electric. Between 2015 and 2017, GE repurchased $40 billion of shares at prices between $20 and $32—its share price sits around $6 today. The company has destroyed about $30 billion of shareholders’ money. It lost more on its share repurchase programs during those three years than it made in operations—and by a substantial margin. But GE is just one of several hundred big companies who have thrown good money away on bad share buybacks."

What goes up. . .

"they boosted both their companies share price and, consequently, their own compensation, by simply buying back shares of their own stock. This is a short-term positive for shareholders because it bids up the stock price in the market; just as it also reduces the shares outstanding. This process boosts the EPS calculation and increases cash flows as fewer dividends are paid to outside shareholders. As an added bonus, it also provides for a nice tax write-off."

Must come down. . .

"These companies will now have to raise capital to strengthen their balance sheets just as interest rates are rising and the recession of 2019 unfolds. Then, these same companies who bought back their shares at the highs will soon have to pull those same shares out of retirement and sell them back to the public at much lower prices. Thus, diluting the shares outstanding and lowering EPS counts yet again…Wall Street never learns."

How much of Wall Street's gains are a result of these massive stock buybacks? Guess we're about to find out as the buybacks come to an end. A very large portion of the coming stock market decline is a direct result of an end to stock buy backs.

The canary in the coal mine is the greedy short term thinking of share holders (house flippers?) who didn't question why their share value was increasing and corporate executives (mortgage companies?) who failed to realize that what goes up can come down. We've seen this movie before. This time look for major corporations as well as those who loaned them money to show up at the taxpayer bailout bread line. You can bet the printing presses are primed and ready.