Home Sports Talk
Options

2017-2018 PGA Tour season & all other things golf

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2018 9:30PM

catching up this evening.

these guys are going to render bellerive obsolete before it's all said and done. something in the neighborhood of -20 may be the number, which is an abomination for a major.

eldrick appeared to have something special going, but he may pick up where he left off because in addition to the course playing as soft as butter, he'll have pristine greens devoid of spike marks in the morning.

btw did y'all see Finau's front 9? lol

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eldrick will have to get up at 5 am and in a fog may call his bedmate by the wrong name. We may see Thanksgiving 2009 all over again.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2018 8:52AM

Immelman is fantastic in the booth. i would not object to much more of him moving forward

• Options

Koepka's tournament to lose. And if he does 20 will be scrambling to win it.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    catching up this evening.

these guys are going to render bellerive obsolete before it's all said and done. something in the neighborhood of -20 may be the number, which is an abomination for a major.

eldrick appeared to have something special going, but he may pick up where he left off because in addition to the course playing as soft as butter, he'll have pristine greens devoid of spike marks in the morning.

btw did y'all see Finau's front 9? lol

With the benefit of another days action nearly in the books, 13-15 under should be close.

• Options

very surprised that Koepka has retreated on the back 9.......now we have a tournament heading into R4!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever notice when the TV network lists the leaderboard and Tiger is tied with 3-6 other golfers his name is usually at the top of the tied board listing? Seems to me, they the Network, wants to imply he is moving up,getting closer, or is at the top. I don't know how they determine he is leading in the tied board to put him at the top. Just something I've noticed of late.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

He is the money player, Bluejay. Many talented young guys but all seem squeezed from the same extruder.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 5:23AM

The Networks always put the most popular players at the top of whatever group their score is tied with. Have been doing it forever.

Tiger continued his second 9 issues in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. He had the chance to do something truly special Saturday afternoon, especially with Keopka letting his foot off the gas, but couldn't make any mid range putts and butchered the 17th green. I am hoping he figures out the inability to keep his great rounds going over the winter.

If Tiger stays healthy this year and next he will have 3 or 4 victories by the end of the Fed Ex playoffs in 2019. I expect a pedestrian round from him today, I think he will press too much, but fun to see him progressing in his return to golf. He will never be the Tiger of old but I think people forget about all the tournaments and majors he didn't win even when he was the top golfer in the world.

Robb

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still sticking with JT...

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2018 11:59AM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Ever notice when the TV network lists the leaderboard and Tiger is tied with 3-6 other golfers his name is usually at the top of the tied board listing? Seems to me, they the Network, wants to imply he is moving up,getting closer, or is at the top. I don't know how they determine he is leading in the tied board to put him at the top. Just something I've noticed of late.

When they are tied they almost always put the player who is further along on the course at the top of the tied players. Just like if several players are tied at the same score at the end of a round the player in the club house first is considered at the top of that group and has “ honors” the next day by teeing off last

But in Tigers case it seems you are on to something ; )

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2018 1:19PM

Tiger Ballesteros hanging in there

But it's still Koepka's to lose

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Say what you will about him, but the crowd is electrified when he's on point.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2018 4:11PM

Koepka has ice in his veins. Will not be his last major win.

• Options

Of note. The TV announcers noted that all but a few of the media hung around at the end to cover the Brooks win. That had largely moved on after Tiger was done with his round. And the gallery had followed the Woods/Woodland pairing throughout the round, more so than the Scott/Koepka pairing. No surprise there. But kudos to Brooks for the win and Tiger for some great golf. I enjoyed the golf throughout the match days.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2018 5:23PM

Classic Woody at 6:38. What a putz.

https://youtu.be/q-kam9k9wa0?t=400

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Bruce Koepka winner of three out of the last seven majors. Unlike most majors, Bellerive Country Club played soft allowing for limited penalty for poor shot making which took away the added drama of this years last major.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2018 6:04PM

*Brooks

That was an amazing final round. The death of Tiger Woods has been greatly exaggerated. He was the second best player in the world this week as the score indicated. The last time a gallery was that fired up was when Tiger was in his prime. What a difference a tournament is when he is in the thick of it

Koepka was amazing

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
  • Options

Two thoughts regarding the coverage. I don't like, but can stomach the shot tracker. The putt tracker is ridiculous and distracting.

To interview Woods after the drives by Koepka and and Scott on 18 was poorly done. I don't care if the Scott drive bounced off the St Louis Arch...the last hole of the tournament was where the action was.

Maybe they should have just handed Woods the trophy and switched over to Heidi.

• Options

In post match coverage, it was good of Tiger and Fowler to hang around to wish Brooks congratulations when Brooks was on his way to sign his card.

• Options

couple of thoughts the morning after

Brooks Koepka is mentally and physically the toughest golfer on the planet

thank you Tiger Woods

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

The CBS executives thank Tiger for their ratings boost.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Koepka is simply in a good place with his swing. He doesn't have the game to maintain his current level of play for very much longer.

Robb

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Oh no, a golfer showing emotion? What a breach of etiquette. How will the golf world ever recover from something at least a few players do every week?

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Coinstartled said:

Oh no, a golfer showing emotion? What a breach of etiquette. How will the golf world ever recover from something at least a few players do every week?

Apologize all you want. Tiger would be better off in a team sport. Receiver perhaps that could blame the QB for a loose spiral or maybe an MLB starter that could excoriate the ump for calling just outside pitches as balls.

Instead, all he has is himself when he hacks a possible tournament winning drive. From the brain down, his game is back...that of course is not enough.

• Options

Heh

""Tiger Woods' caddie Joe LaCava tried to convince a heckler to leave the 2018 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in early August by paying for his $25 ticket out of his own pocket before ultimately getting the fan ejected from the tournament.

LaCava detailed the encounter during an appearance Wednesday on ESPN Radio's Golic and Wingo show, noting he received a positive response after security removed the individual.

"He didn't have a problem," the veteran caddie said. "And actually, I got a standing ovation for kicking the guy out of there."

The size and intensity of the crowds that follow Woods during a round are unmatched elsewhere on the PGA Tour, and his fellow golfers often comment on the impact of potential distractions.""

• Options

Congrats to Brandt Snedeker on his 11 under 59 round.

Those come along about as often as an MLB perfect game.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Even more impressive after he was +1 through 3, 27 on the front (his last 9) is even more rare.

• Options

i say BS doesn't win the tourney, even with that opening round 59

• Options

It's going to take high 20s under par to win that one.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Coinstartled said:

Even more impressive after he was +1 through 3, 27 on the front (his last 9) is even more rare.

Wow--I hadn't looked at the breakdown.

• Options

wire-to-wire W with an opening round 59........really impressive stuff by Sneds

that putting stroke still gives me the heebie-jeebies tho

• Options

@Darin said:

@galaxy27 said:
    query for the inhabitants of this thread...

who are your five fav golfers of all time?

and if you'd like to briefly explain away your selections, even better.

1. Annika Sorenstam- got her auto at a women's Open Championship.
    2. Jessica Korda- Very beautiful.
    3. Nelly Korda- Looks just like her sister.
    4. Lexi Thompson- America's sweetheart, as far as golfing is concerned.
    5. Brooke Henderson- Amazing talent.

The men just seem too, I don't know,conceited. Nicklaus talks about every shot of his
    major wins like they were the most important thing in the history of the world.
    Tiger is just..................Tiger. Mickelson pretends to be a nice, humble guy but I've heard
    he can be flat out mean to his fans.
    The women just seem more humble and well, just very nice as a whole compared to the men.

5 FTW!

• Options
    edited September 4, 2018 11:11PM

Good to see Tiger back on the US Ryder team. Phil and DeChambeau named as well. Furyk better pack the Geritol. ;)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Good to see Tiger back on the US Ryder team. Phil and DeChambeau named as well. Furyk better pack the Geritol. ;)

do you like the Mad Scientist?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

no response. here, let me amend and broaden.

do you like anyone? yourself?

btw, your boy Eldrick shot a nifty 29 on the front today...

• Options
    edited September 6, 2018 11:06AM

Damn Thursday already (was preoccupied with the palladium coin)

Tiger 29!

Hope he takes the $10,000,000.

Karma is a good thing.

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

62 -- He's back!

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

@estang said:
    62 -- He's back!

59 and he really would have been back.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Tiger is making it interesting on a delayed "Sunday" today.... One back on the back 9.

https://www.pgatour.com/leaderboard.html

• Options

Kudos to Keegan at the BMW Tour.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@estang said:
    62 -- He's back!

59 and he really would have been back.

Back? That would beat his lowest round ever on tour by two strokes. 59 would mean he's better than he's ever been.

• Options

I am now a Tiger fan. 20 plus years of cheering for the other 141 players erased in 60 seconds.

Having said that, Tiger needs the headline moment. A Fed Ex win, a 59 round, a major victory.

That he shot a 29 front nine and couldn't win the tournament shows me that he is very good and probably top 20 ranking wise...but not back to Tiger dominance

Of course the days of winning over 25% of his events and finishing in the top 3 half the time has been consumed by father time and one or more overzealous orthopedic surgeons.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

I am now a Tiger fan.

lol

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Coinstartled said:

I am now a Tiger fan.

lol

His evolution towards maturity and humility cannot be ignored.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

His evolution towards maturity and humility cannot be ignored.

"Tiger exceeds Coinstartled's drab expectations as a golfer and human being, but Coinstartled fails to admit it."

i'm proud of you for admitting it.

• Options

One profound comment in response to a fake news race baiter was a game changer.

My mind is sometimes narrow but never closed.

https://youtu.be/qoihzqdJ2XY

• Options

Tiger -5 and tied for first. A little light reading for CS to continue on the path of Tiger fandom ... https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2018/09/12/tiger-woods-tour-championship-fitting-ending-season.html

• Options

Would like to see him win, if for no other reason than to see the media machine in full throttle over the win.