Home Sports Talk

2017-2018 PGA Tour season & all other things golf

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 9, 2018 8:08AM in Sports Talk

Augusta is over two months away, but I'm already starting to feel it. I need a cathartic place where I can blurt out anything and everything links related in an impromptu fashion. So instead of severely annoying the populace (including my better half), I decided to create this haven. I think we have enough people here who give a crap to keep this afloat, so let's do this.

It's now '18 and the tour has shifted back to the mainland, so it's officially time for some fruitless prognostications:

Rickie Fowler finally wins a major so galaxy27 can mercifully stop making annual predictions that Rickie Fowler will finally win a major.

Even the most casual of golf fans will know who Tommy Fleetwood is.

Lefty gets off the schneid with a W.

Justin Thomas continues to narrow the gap with his boy, Michael Jordan Spieth.

Jon Rahm (who went very low today in Cali) will have a multiple-win season. Mebbe 3+.

DJ reaches a 6,969-yd par 5 in two with a 3-wood & gap wedge.

Tiger exceeds Coinstartled's drab expectations as a golfer and human being, but Coinstartled fails to admit it.

edit: a carrot for Justacommeman so he'll keep coming back...

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

... and my man Pat Perez stays in the top 10 all year and doesn't fall to 11th again. Great comeback story at 40!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 6:57PM

Dayum thats more then a carrot. That's the entire salad bar

Thanks man that's the nicest thing anyone did for me today

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2018 8:12PM

Isn't Woody like 2 tour wins away from Snead's record. That would be a worthy goal for him. A Major...forget it.

Edit: just checked, he is 3 back. No way, no how.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be a regular visitor to this thread. Looking forward to the season getting under way and (dare I say it) into full "swing".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

If Tiger stays healthy he will win simple as that. I just don't think he will stay healthy.

I don't think this is Fowler's year at the majors.

I think Rory will have multiple wins including a major.

Agree about Rahm but I don't think Phil will win. He is just out there cashing checks and waiting for the Champions Tour at this point.

Robb

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    DJ reaches a 6,969-yd par 5 in two with a 3-wood & gap wedge.

He won't even need a 3-wood.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:

I don't think Phil will win. He is just out there cashing checks and waiting for the Champions Tour at this point.

Deep down, I concur. I just like the guy so much that I'm hoping he has one last push in him. But the tour is chock-full of intrepid 20 & 30-somethings who can tear the cover off the ball, so it's going to be the tallest of orders for Phil from here on out.

I think Rory will have multiple wins including a major.

I've caught some of the action in Abu Dhabi and Rors looks like he means business. You can tell there's a little rust to remove, but he's already reminding everyone that his arsenal consists of the full repertoire of shots.

@galaxy27 said:
    edit: a carrot for Justacommeman so he'll keep coming back...

'she's got the shortest skirt on campus' - Peter Alliss

@galaxy27 said:

Jon Rahm (who went very low today in Cali) will have a multiple-win season. Mebbe 3+.

One down! Jon picked up $1,062,000 for a nice weekend's work.

@larryallen73 said:

@galaxy27 said:

One down! Jon picked up $1,062,000 for a nice weekend's work.

Rahm is a beast. I like the fact that he's fiery on the course, but not to the point of being an expletive-laced embarrassment.

Fleetwood also won, firing a smooth little back-nine 30 in Abu Dhabi to blow past everyone (including Rory). Dude can really play.

Are you going to hit up the Waste again in a couple of weeks?

P.S. I looked at Angela before I typed this. And I'm going to look again on my way out.

@galaxy27 said:

Skipping Waste this year. Plan to go again in 2019. I hope to get to at least one event this year but not sure yet which one. Probably will be something random that matches up with other travel.

@galaxy27 said:

I'm planning to go with my son this year. If anyone else from here is going, let me know.

@LarkinCollector said:

@galaxy27 said:

I'm planning to go with my son this year. If anyone else from here is going, let me know.

awesome! hope you and your son have a memorable time together

solid field.......i'm a bit jealous because Matsuyama never plays in Houston

https://pgatour.com/tournaments/waste-management-phoenix-open/field.html

Thinking of getting one of these printed up and trying for all 4 autos.

Any others I should chase?

@LarkinCollector said:

Any others I should chase?

what day(s) are you going? just looked at the field again and the opportunities are endless. i'd highly recommend grabbing a hat or flag for your son and spending at least a little time around the range/practice putting green. i'd also imagine that there will be a kids' zone for autos (in the vicinity of the scoring tent), so your son will absolutely, positively be able to load up.

as for the golf boys, you compelled me to go watch the vid again. it has been a while. still slightly amusing. bubba looks like he just emerged from the woods in west virginia. hunter mahan's chest looks like it hasn't seen the light of day since he was born. ben crane looks like he needs to be institutionalized. rickie's hands @ 1:34.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM2NocuEihw

2.Oh is way better ;) Not sure what day we're going yet, but at least one day over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiiOqybRvsM

never even seen that one. i heard Stuart Appleby, Aaron Baddeley, Adam Scott, Bo Van Pelt, Ricky Barnes, Rory Sabbatini, Kevin Na, Stewart Cink, Sangmoon Bae, Jason Day, Louis Oosthuizen lol

Tiger just misses holing the late par three.

Either way his winning days are in the rear view.

Woods Tied for 123rd.

It will take some work to hit the cut line.

I'm old enough to remember when Tom Brady was old and washed up around week 4. One week does not a season make.

True, but Tiger is now a victim of his former greatness when a top ten finish was automatic.

Tiger had a fine tournament. Made the cut, didn't hurt himself, and now back to the practice range. Golf is better with Tiger out there.

edited January 29, 2018 9:57AM

@larryallen73 said:
    Tiger had a fine tournament. Made the cut, didn't hurt himself, and now back to the practice range. Golf is better with Tiger out there.

agree on all points. whenever he took a full swing, it was anyone's guess. but his short game was fantastic, and that's how you end up T23 when you should have missed the cut.

edit: good to see Day in the winner's circle again

Agree with the above. 4 very consistent rounds.

Glad as well that a winner finally emerged.

I recall 20 years after Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals, he returned to competitive swimming in his 40's. He was swimming faster in the later years...but not as fast as the 20 year olds.

Kind of see that with Woods. A whole new crop of young, strong players today that will make a trip to the winner circle very difficult.

It will be fun to watch.

Need more pics without dudes and especially without Bubba. I'm shallow

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Congrats to Jason Day. Tiger may be "in the hunt" once again. We follow "Kooch". Anyone here anything on Jim Furyk?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited January 30, 2018 10:17AM

@Justacommeman said:
    Need more pics without dudes and especially without Bubba. I'm shallow

m

Get this one

and many more @ PGA WAG

a seductive leaderboard heading into R4 at the Waste. Fowler (-14) on top, with Rahm (-13) and Mickelson (-12) lurking.

one of our own was on the course today. a synopsis would not hurt my feelings whatsoever. B)

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Anyone here anything on Jim Furyk?

very good question. i thought i remember him suffering an injury of some sort, but i've slept many times since then. just looked him up and he hasn't played since the PGA Championship last August. great dude, great player for a long time (mr. 58!), but he simply does not hit the ball far enough to hang anymore. i imagine he'll cruise into the champions tour and wreak some havoc there.

Furyk is a great everyman player, particularly in his 40's. Love seeing him on the tour.

@galaxy27 said:
    one of our own was on the course today. a synopsis would not hurt my feelings whatsoever. B)

Swapped days, we're heading out in the next hour for Sunday action B)

Philip playing some very stout golf, so maybe my prognostication will come true after all.

Has anyone ever played Pebble? I did about three decades ago and that experience ranks higher than getting my rocks off for the first time

Looks like Bill Haas got shaken up in a Ferrari wreck.

edited February 14, 2018 6:37PM

from pgatour.com

way to go out on a limb, guys. and the one dude who didn't pick DJ selected someone who played like crap last weekend.

smh

edit: i'll take Paul Casey. and Furyk is in the field, @Coinstartled

Thursday not good for Woods. +2 through 7.

I say no cut.

@Coinstartled said:
    Woods Tied for 123rd.

It will take some work to hit the cut line.

>

Thursday not good for Woods. +2 through 7.

>

I say no cut.

Chicken Little? I'm sure if you say it every time he starts, you'll be right at some point.

edited February 16, 2018 10:36AM

With Tiger circa 2018 it will be a coin flip.

Good at him for dredging his way through a tourney. Reminds me of when Michael Jordan came back to the NBA for a couple of seasons.

So long, Woody!

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Tiger is facing a Catch-22. He needs to play more tournaments to get his game back to a level where he can be competitive, but if he plays that many tournaments his back will give out. In other words, I think he's done.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

If Tigger is pulling the trigger Im watching. I like watching the field when Tiger plays...when he is gone ... golf just doesnt have that edge. Tiger makes the winning and losing much more vivid.

Looks like Woody will make the cut.

(save for massive blunder).

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2018 1:06PM

PGA Tour is my favorite sport to follow and play fantasy games -- best sport to make Futures Bets --- can make some serious cash on Top 50 golfers at Majors with odds 30 to 1 or greater...

Ping golf balls are worth some really nice $$$ as collectibles - nice!

BTW, the pic above of that lady is someone that we followed at Bay Hill a few years ago. I believe she's the wife of Rafael Cabrella-Bello -- or something to that effect. Or it's DJ's wife -- likely the latter...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

DJ's wife is Wayne Gretzky's daughter.

Par won't win it for Woods.

Around the 13th hole the announcers noted Tiger was bogey free. They jinxed him. Wound up with 2 bogeys shortly thereafter.

Par for the course. Not bad. not great.

@Coinstartled said:
    Par for the course. Not bad. not great.

Maybe he can build on this performance for future events.

Love the way things are progressing for Eldrick. No doubt in my mind he's going to win again..........it's only a matter of time. Had his leg not been shredded in the Bear Trap this week, he would've been mighty close in just his third start.

And a big thank you to CBS for confirming what I thought I heard the first time. What, was one "f*ck yeah!" not enough from JT? lolz

@estang said:
    PGA Tour is my favorite sport to follow and play fantasy games -- best sport to make Futures Bets --- can make some serious cash on Top 50 golfers at Majors with odds 30 to 1 or greater...

word!

not sure i could buy a box of 1990 Donruss with my ball, but check this insanity out...

https://ebay.com/itm/Ping-Golf-Ball-Orange-Yellow-Dovetail-Crazy-Rare/152853617226?hash=item2396c91a4a:g:KOgAAOSw3wVaTq-l

https://ebay.com/itm/Ping-Golf-Ball-Brown-Orange-Crazy-Rare/152853610889?hash=item2396c90189:g:ef8AAOSwsZJaTq4p

BTW, the pic above of that lady is someone that we followed at Bay Hill a few years ago. I believe she's the wife of Rafael Cabrella-Bello -- or something to that effect. Or it's DJ's wife -- likely the latter...

she's Sergio's wife.............and Justa's mistress

@galaxy27 said:

@estang said:

word!

not sure i could buy a box of 1990 Donruss with my ball, but check this insanity out...

https://ebay.com/itm/Ping-Golf-Ball-Orange-Yellow-Dovetail-Crazy-Rare/152853617226?hash=item2396c91a4a:g:KOgAAOSw3wVaTq-l

https://ebay.com/itm/Ping-Golf-Ball-Brown-Orange-Crazy-Rare/152853610889?hash=item2396c90189:g:ef8AAOSwsZJaTq4p

she's Sergio's wife.............and Justa's mistress

That was supposed to be on the DL

mark