2017-2018 PGA Tour season & all other things golf

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Tiger was +4 thru the first 7 holes of the tournament, but he has gone -9 over the next 22 and has a 6-footer for birdie on #12 (play has been suspended)

wonder if @Coinstartled is impressed :grey_question:

• Options

"Tiger never would have gone +4 through 7 in his prime"

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    Tiger was +4 thru the first 7 holes of the tournament, but he has gone -9 over the next 22 and has a 6-footer for birdie on #12 (play has been suspended)

wonder if @Coinstartled is impressed :grey_question:

Had I ever been a fan of Tiger Woods, (well I was when he was at Stanford but reverted once I saw what an ass he was,) I would likely be happy to see him back and able to go sub par for the odd round or two.

The guy is a middle of the pack top fifty player now. One can wax poetic about the 4 back surgeries and 94 leg surgeries but at least a few were probably the result of steroid usage.

If he wins another major I will be impressed. 4 and I'll call him the GOAT.

• Options

Two pars and in 33rd place.

Kiss this tourney goodbye.

• Options

:#

• Options

:#:#

• Options

Woods tied the leaders for a spell at 11 under. Bogeys on 16 and 18 puts him at 9 under.

Three back with a handful of players still on the course.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Woods tied the leaders for a spell at 11 under. Bogeys on 16 and 18 puts him at 9 under.

Three back with a handful of players still on the course.

still not quite there, but he's inching closer and closer

• Options

Seems that a couple of times he tied or narrowly took the lead, then fell back.

Old Tiger didn't do that. The Yips perhaps, Galaxy?

• Options

did you hear Jack in the booth? he's gotta learn how to close again. and as Nicklaus said, it's coming.

• Options

Again? Woods never had to learn to close before, he just played his game and won.

Pre 2009 one would be hard pressed to find Tiger bogeying 2 of the last three holes, particularly while in contention.

Never a Sunday closer, he can pick up a decent check but the win will be elusive.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Again? Woods never had to learn to close before, he just played his game and won.

Pre 2009 one would be hard pressed to find Tiger bogeying 2 of the last three holes, particularly while in contention.

Never a Sunday closer, he can pick up a decent check but the win will be elusive.

whatever you say craigstartled

• Options

Galaxy, all any of us have is our opinions. If we didn't share them, all we would have on the forum is yesterdays scores and mark telling us how tight our trousers should be.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2018 5:26PM

i'm all for disparate opinions. but your opinion is derived solely from your hatred of the guy, so it's hard for me to take anything you say seriously.

you play this game i assume. therefore, you should know how difficult it is. so for you to essentially come out and say that Tiger needs to hang the clubs up if he can't show his old form immediately after a protracted absence, how can anyone have a substantive conversation with you when forced to read asinine stuff like that? here's a novel idea: why not set the intense dislike aside for a moment, put on an objective hat and let's break down some golf?

you know very well that he's starting to gain traction, hence the cheesy-ass grins up above when he was lighting it up on the front 9 today. you were deathly afraid of Tiger posting a 63 and surging to the top of the leaderboard after you said his tournament was over after two holes. but right on cue, once his momentum stalled you were more than prepared to regurgitate a prime example of the same tired narrative: Tiger never would have bogeyed two of the last three holes prior to 2009!

absolutely nothing the guy does on the golf course will be worthy of your praise from this point forward, all because you can't stand him. you'll always dig deep for something, no matter how ludicrous it may be. if Tiger were to shoot 58 tomorrow and win the tournament, you'd say yeah but he only won by 5 shots instead of 10 and hasn't won a major in decade. if he wins a major this year you'll say yeah but he only hit 17 out of 18 greens in the final round and doesn't have 18 total like the Golden Bear. if he wins 4 more majors you'll then delve into his personal life and say yeah but he's an enormous bag of douche away from the course. on and on and freaking on this will go. it'll never stop.

listen, i'm all about being impartial and that's why i have a hard time reading some of the stuff that rolls off of your fingers. i don't play favorites, and i don't openly hammer on an athlete just because i may not like him/her. i will always, always call things like i see them. e.g., Jordan Spieth is my fav modern golfer, yet i'll be the first to admit that he's struggling this year. hell, i'll even go so far to say that he has sucked at times. but you'll never see me typing something in a coinstartled-esque fashion like, "Jordan missed the cut at the Memorial and can't putt like he did two years ago, therefore it would behoove him to find another profession."

• Options

WHOOOOAAAA Nellie!!!!

I am no fan off Woods. As of today, in all of sports only athlete I am a fan of is LeBron James. Maybe if I watched more basketball I would despise him but he is the best that the game has ever seen.

Woods is a putz. I will agree that he is the second best player in the history of the sport and unquestionably the best of the last 20 years. No excuse for scowling at fans, throwing clubs against trees and spitting on greens. As far as cheating on his wife...I give that little weight but some do.

Over a decade ago Woods was in a slump and stated that if could not play at the level that he was accustomed to, he would quit. I did a brief search to locate that statement but it is buried under piles of more recent Tiger stories.

I stated that he was toast after 2 rounds and ate some crow with the cheezy ass grins. Would have been easy to edit out my prediction but I let it stand and was willing to show that I was wrong as Woods rattled off a few birdies and an eagle to contest the lead.

Tiger didn't let me down and kicked the can at the end of the round slipping to 9 under 4 or 5 behind the leaders.

You want to live in fantasy land and think that Tiger will match Jack's 18 majors....go for it. Satisfied to see Woods muddle through tourney after tourney..no skin off my back.

My old favorite group was the Spinners. Only one original member survives and he is in his late 70's. Nonetheless I paid to see them a bit over a year ago, not for who they were 40 years ago, but for a nice (but not great) rendition of songs that I love.

I get it with the Tiger fans, I just am not one of them.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    WHOOOOAAAA Nellie!!!!

I am no fan off Woods. As of today, in all of sports only athlete I am a fan of is LeBron James. Maybe if I watched more basketball I would despise him but he is the best that the game has ever seen.

Woods is a putz. I will agree that he is the second best player in the history of the sport and unquestionably the best of the last 20 years. No excuse for scowling at fans, throwing clubs against trees and spitting on greens. As far as cheating on his wife...I give that little weight but some do.

Over a decade ago Woods was in a slump and stated that if could not play at the level that he was accustomed to, he would quit. I did a brief search to locate that statement but it is buried under piles of more recent Tiger stories.

I stated that he was toast after 2 rounds and ate some crow with the cheezy ass grins. Would have been easy to edit out my prediction but I let it stand and was willing to show that I was wrong as Woods rattled off a few birdies and an eagle to contest the lead.

Tiger didn't let me down and kicked the can at the end of the round slipping to 9 under 4 or 5 behind the leaders.

You want to live in fantasy land and think that Tiger will match Jack's 18 majors....go for it. Satisfied to see Woods muddle through tourney after tourney..no skin off my back.

My old favorite group was the Spinners. Only one original member survives and he is in his late 70's. Nonetheless I paid to see them a bit over a year ago, not for who they were 40 years ago, but for a nice (but not great) rendition of songs that I love.

I get it with the Tiger fans, I just am not one of them.

Great song by "The Spinners"-"It's A Shame". Still got the 45.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Written by Stevie Wonder!

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2018 9:56PM

with the U.S. Open on the horizon, i can't help but think about Mickelson. six times a bridesmaid, otherwise he's slammin' with Nicklaus, Woods, Hogan, Sarazen, Player, and -- just for Larkin ;) -- Jones (pre-Masters era).

to say the door is swiftly closing on Phil would be a gross understatement; for some perspective, the oldest golfer to win a major was Julius Boros (48 years, 4 months, 14 days), and PM is going to turn 48 during the tournament in a couple of weeks.

love or hate the guy (pre-Jordan he was arguably my favorite), he's a fascinating cat away from the course. don't know if any of you watch Feherty, but the interview below took place about a year or so ago. if you can find it in its entirety, i'm an advocate of watching every second. truly entertaining stuff. i couldn't find the whole enchilada, but i have posted a couple of clips for your viewing pleasure.

if you think Phil is just this doltish guy who walks around incessantly with a sheepish grin on his face, prepare to be surprised. dude is an absolute tactician and really, really sharp. whereas most golfers just walk up to a ball, obtain a ballpark yardage and smack it, what enters Phil's mind will make yours explode.

the second clip below is a side of Mickelson that most people rarely see..........as a farceur. he is self-deprecating and -- truth be known -- a very funny guy. he tells a classic Ryder Cup story involving his partner on that particular day, David Toms.

enjoy

https://golfchannel.com/video/feherty-phils-scientific-approach/

https://golfchannel.com/video/feherty-mickelsons-great-ryder-cup-story/

• Options

Always good to see Phil near the top of the leaderboard.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    just for Larkin ;) -- Jones (pre-Masters era).

Who else has a Grand Slam card?

• Options
    edited June 10, 2018 3:11PM
  • Options

Nice shot!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing finish

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

That makes it 11 straight years with a win, Jack/Tiger tied at 17 for the record. Impressive.

• Options

Haven't tuned in yet, but the median score is 5 over so far today.

Probably go to +6 after Woody tees off.

;)

• Options
    edited June 14, 2018 3:02PM

Only 5 players under par with Dustin J tied for the lead at 2 under. Still golfers on the course with Tiger +8.

• Options

Can't believe how many of the top names are over by so much. Bubba,Tiger,Rory,Phil,Jordan. Be interesting to see if on Friday any of these can recover to make the cut. Joe Buck must of jinxed Tiger. During the 12th hole he remarked how he was impressed with Tigers recovery after his first 2 holes. Tiger followed with 2 double bogey's.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

It may only take a par round tomorrow for any of those you mentioned to make the cut.

• Options

ogling today's action as we speak. shinnecock is straight-up savage. idk about anyone else, but i enjoy watching these guys morph into mere mortals while parading around a murderous track. very few birdie opportunities.........those dudes are in survival mode from the opening tee shot.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    ogling today's action as we speak. shinnecock is straight-up savage. idk about anyone else, but i enjoy watching these guys morph into mere mortals while parading around a murderous track. very few birdie opportunities.........those dudes are in survival mode from the opening tee shot.

Exactly. I love watching them scramble and watching their shots roll off the green. I love chip shots rolling back to their feet. I can relate to this.

I love par 70 courses

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Spieth's up to T84 without hitting a shot yet.

• Options

u.s. open wager #1 in the books

fleetwood > garcia.........like taking candy from a baby

my eyes nearly popped outta my head when i saw that matchup

• Options

DJ cruising, Woods needs a lot of help.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    DJ cruising, Woods needs a lot of help.

there's a better chance of coin shelling out for a TW body pillow

• Options

Disappointed. Wanted to see TW fumble through the weekend.

• Options

This looks to be an awful major weekend. Unless DJ really screws up, maybe a dozen in contention after the cut? And that's assuming someone could go -7 over the weekend.

I've just been scoreboard watching so far and unless Fowler or Hoffman make a run, might not watch any of this event.

• Options

Course hurts the eyes after watching the Masters.

• Options

Yes, somewhat of a disappointment/letdown so far.

• Options

They should just call it a par 72 and 13 golfers would be under.

;)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lengthwise it is less than a par 70. Is there a par 5 that they can't reach in two? Many times a short to mid iron is all they need. BTW I am eagerly awaiting to hear what Phil has to say after his round.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    BTW I am eagerly awaiting to hear what Phil has to say after his round.

still in utter disbelief. i literally pinched myself to make sure i was awake

• Options

Saying nothing would have been better. I don't admire circumventing the rules. I do admire Phil's career. Better to say "I was frustrated, I lost it, I'm sorry."

Ralph

• Options

can't believe i'm about to say this, but i found his explanation somewhat plausible

• Options
    edited June 16, 2018 1:33PM

@Brick said:
    Saying nothing would have been better. I don't admire circumventing the rules. I do admire Phil's career. Better to say "I was frustrated, I lost it, I'm sorry."

zero chance of him being able to say nothing. he'll be asked about this more times today than he'll hear "happy birthday."

and i've gotta disagree with you when it comes to circumventing the rules. if you heard him speak, naturally he knew the penalty was coming. he just opted to take his medicine instead of riding that roller coaster again. hell, the way he has putted this week, he might have saved himself a stroke or 5.

• Options

as far as the actual tournament goes, suddenly it's a horse race

• Options

Just a different perspective. I don't like a golfer deliberately breaking the rules because the penalty is not as severe punishment as his game.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Just a different perspective. I don't like a golfer deliberately breaking the rules because the penalty is not as severe punishment as his game.

totally understood where you're coming from. we're not talking about the nfl, nba or mlb here -- sports where it's commonplace for players to seek an unfair advantage. this is a gentleman's sport where the participants are notorious for calling penalties on themselves. so no, the optics are not good and Phil is going to be forced to face the music for a long, long time.

btw forget winning this tournament, DJ's main focus should be trying to break 80