Home Sports Talk
Options

2017-2018 PGA Tour season & all other things golf

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see an old guy in the winner's circle again. I was beginning to thing Phil was going to hit triple digits between wins. I don't think there is a possible better hole on the tour to have the playoff begin on for a lefty.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

That certainly didn't look like the well manicured courses they play on. Appeared like an economical public course. ( not that there is anything wrong with public courses,)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice win for "The Thrill".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiger's back's back and he's showing glimpses..........Philip is finding the fountain of youth...........a swarm of dauntless young guns........Augusta National on the horizon...........things do not suck in the golfing world right now

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Phil. I didn't think he had it in him to compete for 4 days but he proved me wrong.

Will be interesting to see how Tiger does the next two weeks. He is showing glimpses but I still fear he will get hurt again.

Robb

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Spieth and Tiger in the same group today. -1 after one for both of them. Stenson is their third. Might be a few people following that group around the course!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 18 tied with Woods for 8th place (also 27th place).

That is unusual.

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Without tigger the field has no flare ... vanilla vanilla vanilla ... zero root ability from my sole perspective ... a bunch of talented blah

• Options

After 9, 4 tied with Woods for 3rd place (also 6th place).

Back to normal.

• Options

Tiger is alone on top of the leaderboard... at least for the moment.

• Options

He is going to win more majors ... imo ... he’s just ready mentally ... he needed a few years to unwind and enjoy life a little ...not saying he breaks jacks record but I’d be a bit surprised if he doesn’t take a major or two down in the next 5-6 years ... if he gets one this year .. watch out .. he could tear things up again .

• Options

Bogey on 18 so -3 for el Tigre. Missed a 5 footer on 18 for the par. Tied for first place now but afternoon golfers still to come. Solid two day start.

• Options

@Odessafile said:
    He is going to win more majors ... imo ... he’s just ready mentally ... he needed a few years to unwind and enjoy life a little ...not saying he breaks jacks record but I’d be a bit surprised if he doesn’t take a major or two down in the next 5-6 years ... if he gets one this year .. watch out .. he could tear things up again .

His comeback has been impressive so far. Let him get through the weekend though before prepping the crown.

• Options

Creeping back to must see TV with Tiger in the hunt.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Tiger behind by 1 going into Sunday. Tiger or the field? I think I'll take the field but it's close.

• Options

Tiger has 3 players to beat. Maybe a 4th or fifth surges.

I give him a 25% to win.

• Options

Just good to see him "live" going into the final round. Looking forward to the final round Sun.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2018 9:06PM

Tuned in the tourney today. The fawning by the annouucncers was nauseating, I turned it off.

I'll follow day 4 on the computer.

• Options

Tigger is going to pull the trigger !

• Options
    edited March 11, 2018 4:20PM

3 under today would have won it for Tiger. He shoots one under and ties for second.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Tuned in the tourney today. The fawning by the annouucncers was nauseating, I turned it off.

Announcers only giving what they think the TV audience wants to hear about Tiger. Honda Classic TV ratings up 43% due to the Woods factor.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched my first non major final round ( in between NCAA action ) today in years because of Tiger. His putt on 17 conjured up a lot of magical memories. If ever a second place finish felt like a win this was it

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Coinstartled said:

Announcers only giving what they think the TV audience wants to hear about Tiger. Honda Classic TV ratings up 43% due to the Woods factor.

Yup, he sure brings interest to the game. They could at least mention though, the other players near the top of the leaderboard.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2018 4:42PM

i'll say it again......only a matter of time. TW still has all the shots. he is going to make some serious noise at his playpen in Georgia. sure as hell wish i could be there, but i'll settle for the Houston Open instead. :p

btw, if he had won this week, think about how many clams a futures bet prior to the season on Mickelson-Woods in consecutive weeks would have raked in. you'd own every collection on Collectors Universe............including grandma Jenny's two Mantles.

• Options

Tiger a bit more serene ... nice and relaxed ... more ways to skin a cat than out muscling the comp. .... a little more enjoyment and perspective in his early 40s.. 3 top 10’s and 2 ties for second ...

• Options

Tiger had a 3 putt double on 12 and has now birdied 3 of 4 holes after that including a 71 foot putt for bird on the last hole. He plays at a different level than the other guys.

• Options

The minute Tiger hit it OB I turned the TV off. Wonder what TV ratings looked like before and after that shot. Lol. Good times and hats off to Rory for finishing strong!

• Options
    edited March 19, 2018 8:13AM

Enjoyed the Arnold Palmer Tournament. Were some nice shots Sunday. Good to see Rory is back and healthy. Not Tiger's day after the ball hit the flag stick and bounced out. I like the respect shown to Arnold Palmer by the players. The players refer to him as Mr.Palmer when discussing him.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:
    The minute Tiger hit it OB I turned the TV off. Wonder what TV ratings looked like before and after that shot. Lol. Good times and hats off to Rory for finishing strong!

Why did you turn it off?

• Options

as if this wasn't shaping up to be one of the most compelling Masters ever already, now Rors is rounding into form. when his power game is on and that putter is working, he's awfully difficult to beat. how you gonna compete with 375 & a wedge into a par 5?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@larryallen73 said:

Why did you turn it off?

I was amped up for Tiger to make an incredible come from behind win on a Sunday. On to the next event....

• Options
    edited March 19, 2018 6:44PM

@larryallen73 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@larryallen73 said:

Why did you turn it off?

I was amped up for Tiger to make an incredible come from behind win on a Sunday. On to the next event....

I kind of did the same was peeking in during halftime of college hoops until he was out of contention. Great to see him playing at a high level

Can't wait for the Masters. That I will watch each round

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Yup. Masters is always on my Spring schedule along with Indy and the Derby.

• Options

good morning from the Houston Open. J Spieth signing my Masters flag about an hour ago. my life is straight downhill from here.

photo 20180329_085655_zpstnn2520w.jpg

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    J Spieth signing my Masters flag about an hour ago.

You've got my address.

• Options

less than 12 hours to look like a genius. who you got?

I say Rory completes the slam!

• Options

I'll go with DJ, though I expect a bit of a rough start in the last group today.

• Options

Woody looks steady but not aggressive.

• Options

The bottom fell out on last years winner. We are rooting for "Kooch".

• Options

Rory and Kuch it is as Spieth crashes the first two holes.

• Options

Lots of high scores out there today. Just scoreboard watching, but conditions or hole locations must be much tougher.

• Options

Should be a good final round Sunday. Good show so far. Some great Eagle shots by Reed and Rory.

• Options

i'm at the Champions tournament in The Woodlands, TX. i thought about commenting on this pic i took, but nah, i don't think i will

• Options

Grip it & rip it

• Options
    edited May 4, 2018 6:42PM

Oh my. I thought that was the Commander in Chief for a second then I saw the pants

mark

• Options

Never to be mistaken for Payne Stewart.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2018 12:12PM

Per my photo of Big John above, I was gallivanting with the old schoolers this past weekend. What differentiates the Insperity from all other Champions tour stops is a one-day legends tournament within the regularly scheduled tournament, therefore some of the most illustrious names in golf were on the premises as well.

Numero uno on my life's bucket list was marked off on Saturday when I was able to procure Jack & Gary's sigs. At 82, the Black Knight looks like he's ready to throw down his clubs and run a 5k at any moment. Still a cutup and full of energy. The Golden Bear looked very old and tired. Never once saw him flash a smile (at least away from the cameras), but to his credit he spent a chunk of time signing autographs after his round, even as he lost flesh from the school of piranhas surrounding him. Annika Sorenstam (got hers, too) played in Lee Trevino's stead this year. Total sweetheart and very amicable.

A few pictures from last weekend's festivities, including my work-in-progress Masters "Champs" flag, with the latest and most definitely the greatest inside the perimeter of the U.S.

• Options

Great work galaxy!

• Options

Enjoyed the report and photos. How many more sigs. are you going to run down for inclusion on the flag? What will be the total number of sigs. you will have when complete?

• Options
    edited May 7, 2018 3:59PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Enjoyed the report and photos. How many more sigs. are you going to run down for inclusion on the flag? What will be the total number of sigs. you will have when complete?

my pleasure & thanks amigos

there are obvious constraints in play, but as many as humanly possible, bluejay. i started this endeavor just last year, so the clock is ticking fast on some of the Masters winners from decades past. and those are the guys i cherish most, for myriad reasons i won't get into. last month i tracked down Jordan Spieth (my fav modern-day golfer) and that was a thrill. but the serendipity of replicating that feat with Jack Nicklaus & Gary Player was the same feeling on a heavy dose of steroids.