Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat find rare error penny what do you think.

Comments

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    I just read this entire thread.

I do not know whether I enjoyed the read or not. Still trying to figure that out. However it is both exasperating and entertaining at the same time.

From the photos I believe it is glue on the coin. For the sake of the owner I hope I am wrong. Either dip it in acetone or send it in for grading. Let us know the outcome.

If you are correct then eveyone who posted that they disagree with you can eat humble pie and ask for your forgiveness.

how about that. Someone who does not speak broken English gives there unbiased opinion. hats off to you buddy. finally someone with education. B)

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there an award for MisterGhost to be the fastest to 100 posts?

Is there an award for MisterGhost to be the fastest to 100 stupid posts?

Oh wait, those are the same.

Personally, I would pay $1,000,000 for that coin, in Zimbabwe dollars.

Maybe MisterGhost has the wrong date on the calendar, Not April 1

Maybe 1 foot nailed to the floor, shooting the other as it runs away kind of guy.

However, in the words of the Prophet:

"A man has got to know his limitations."

Clint Eastwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 9:05AM

@MisterGhost said:
    bids now being accepted. Reserve is set at 1,000,000.00 happy bidding. If you buy it you can soak in diesel fuel for all I care. No guarantees a\on anything I cant control what happens to it after it leaves my possesion

You need to move this to the BST forum - you aren't supposed to be selling coins on this one.

P.S. - can I pay for a fake error with fake money?

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatics is funny in that one of the most complicated, complex, and difficult to understand area, (errors), is often the place where new comers start. Pocket change is cheap....and finding something "different" is easy! Understanding that everything that is "different" isn't necessarily a mint error, or worth a lot of money, can be hard.

You see it all the time here with new posters showing their "doubled dies", (which are just mechanical doubling), or "mint errors", (which are just damage sustained in the real world).

Assuming the OP isn't just pulling our chains, and really believes what he's saying, at least we can tell him he's not alone, and not the first. Many have been fooled by coins cut with a knife, or squashed by machinery, or left on the highway, or hit with a hammer. (Or glued to another coin).

You can believe the advice here, or not. But the cumulative experience of the posters here really is worth something.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Here's a jefferson nickel I own and it's full of glue .

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glue - but some harsh people on this thread ... just sayin'

Doug
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glue. Troll.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thread title and OP's attitude don't match.
    Reminds me of the saying, "A wink is as good as a nod to a blind man."

peacockcoins

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Thread title and OP's attitude don't match.
    Reminds me of the saying, "A wink is as good as a nod to a blind man."

"what do you think" asked in the title looks like the OP does not care what you think, only what I think I know.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    I have a feeling that my penny is going to be worth some money.

It is worth its weight in glue plus 1 cent. I'd also recommend you stop sniffing this coin.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

Is the error behind the glue?

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, I posted a comment to this OP four hours ago, when the OP had just 31 posts (he's now up to 80), and it is still being debated. Someone once posted a funny GIF on here showing a man beating a dead horse, and I really think it is appropriate here.

The OP should never have opened his thread with the comment "What do you think?" if he had no intention of even considering what others do think. He seems to be of the mindset "I will consider your opinion only if it agrees with my own; otherwise I will summarily reject any and all opposing opinions. There is none so blind as those who will not see. I think it is time we all moved on, and left the OP to revel in his 'incredibly rare' find.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

So are you going to dip your coin in acetone or send it to a TPG for grading?

If you choose to do neither then there is no reason for this thread to continue (except for the entertainment value).

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

HEY !!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S GLUE!!!!!! You are seriously in denial. Many, many seasoned coin collectors have chimed in to help you get it right but NO. You just wont except the truth. I wonder why that is?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because he doesn't really want to
    spend $50 or so to prove he's right.

It's better for him to 'know' he's right,
    than to actually have proof that he's right.

Doubt we'll hear much more from him,
    if anything at all.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want my clicks back !
    +1
    very entertaining ...
    I stand by my original comment ... submit to PCGS

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gheesh............I can't find my hot glue gun..........anyone have one handy and two cents, I'm sure this can be recreated in about a minute and post results

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

stash: When are you going to put your nickel up for sale? Being that it's a NICKEL, you should start it at FIVE TIMES the $1 million our buddy MisterGhost is starting the bidding at on HIS Mint error coin!!! ;):D

• Options
    SteveBellSteveBell Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

This guys personality tells me that he's one of two things:
    1:He's someone who's been banned and created a new account looking to get a rise from people.
    2:He's a completely new guy who has thoroughly convinced himself of this being "the real deal".
    In either case how dare this guy be disrespectful to some of the foremost experts in the hobby!
    The bad thing about this Is that when he discovers that it's not real,he will sell it to some other ignorant new guy as an error for a ridiculous amount.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 12:44PM

I thought this was a CAC thread. With all the glue talk, and all. :open_mouth:

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mom would have figured that Lincoln out.
    I think this thread is some sort of a joke......

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mister Ghost is just a troll, getting kicks by toying with you. Every time you post an angry response he "wins". In the end, we're just helping him feel like his life matters. Ignore this thread and he will go back to stalking celebrities.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

It gets lonely down there in his parents' basement.....

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not even Christmas and all ready the fruitcakes are piling up.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:

@SanctionII said:
    I just read this entire thread.

I do not know whether I enjoyed the read or not. Still trying to figure that out. However it is both exasperating and entertaining at the same time.

From the photos I believe it is glue on the coin. For the sake of the owner I hope I am wrong. Either dip it in acetone or send it in for grading. Let us know the outcome.

If you are correct then eveyone who posted that they disagree with you can eat humble pie and ask for your forgiveness.

how about that. Someone who does not speak broken English gives there unbiased opinion. hats off to you buddy. finally someone with education. B)

Just a thought, you have a total of 80 posts since joining on 09/12/17

and 72 of them are in this thread, along with having the shining star of 55 disagrees.

so you have a 68.75% disagrees to your posts.

Perhaps you should sit and think a while.

There are folks here with decades of experience and no one here, you may note, have offered to purchase your rarity.
    If it were deemed genuine, don't you think you would get at least one offer to purchase it?

So, to make you feel better I will make an offer.

I'll pay one cent (proper terminology) for the coin, and you pay the postage to me.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank, I'll do ya one better.

I'll pay 3 cents for the darn thing, and his postage,
    just to stop this kind of 'NON-Sense' posting by the OP,
    and his responses.

Do I hear a Nickel? Four Cents? Bueller ? Bueller?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:

and his responses.

How about someone offer him the $1,000,000 he wants if ANY TPG holders it as a genuine error? If he believes it's real, how could he pass on an offer like that?

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

....sane, intelligent but competent posts inside of a bait-thread are the same to a troll as heroin is to a street junkie...they just keep getting higher and higher...and without the fear of overdosing, it can be a dangerous thing ;)

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@FredWeinberg said:

and his responses.

How about someone offer him the $1,000,000 he wants if ANY TPG holders it as a genuine error? If he believes it's real, how could he pass on an offer like that?

Don't go overboard - I have seen some funny stuff and would not be surprised if one day I saw an ICG slab saying something like

AU50
    glue on coin error

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

Did he get booted? I think he was an Alt just trying to stir some sort of pot.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 5:00PM

Yes, has no life rather than to play the dumb role for entertainment. So sad :(

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:

and his responses.

But PayPal has a .30c transaction fee Fred :lol:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even an intentional sandwiched vise fake just old brown glue as stated from 2 cents once stuck together.

Only a fool would send this to pcgs.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris

Thanks! I needed that. At the rate he was going, by December he would have been "Top Dunce" putting me in second place. I even gave him one and then (palm slap) realized I was helping him out. :)

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 5:54PM

You all know that we are never going to hear from this poster ever again once this thread fades away. He will never submit the coin to a TPG or ever follow up with any more information. Troll to the infinity power.

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    again no one is willing to comment on the coin itself. I can understand that for some of you this coin is questionable. let me reassure you that this coin is real. not fake. it is a real error penny.

I'm getting the sense that some are mad maybe jealous of the fact that I have it and they don't. from the error pennies that I have viewed over the years I think I have a diamond.

I understand that some of you have had bad luck with coins being glued but fortunately for me it is not glued :D or fake.

MisterGhost; there are people here who own and/ or deal in coins and other material you and I can only dream about. No one here is jealous of what you have.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

This is clearly a highly valuable very rare error. The coin stamping machine must have somehow flipped that coin and stamped **it again, but only stamping the obverse (with the **reverse side stamper).

But how could it leave an imprint if the original reverse was not also being** stamped**?

And why is it a reverse image, as if the object leaving this impression had raised not sunken features like** the stamper**?

Or it is **residual glue **from having another cent glued to it.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

abcde12345, where is he/her when you need...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:

Wow. Three capitalization errors in just four sentences. And one confused use of "there" instead of "their".

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

What a troll. That error is impossible, you cannot have reverse lettering like that.

• Options
    in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭

Should be “their”. Glue this to your thick head!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow he will post a picture of that coin and the title of the post will be 'Thoughts ?'......

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

I read the whole thread and don't think I saw that anyone pointed out the most obvious tell that it is GLUE:
    All of the letters are backwards and reversed.
    To the OP: understand that by thinking that this is a mint error, you also think that there was a die made where everything was reversed and backwards .....and that struck your cent.
    Good luck with the coin though.
    I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. I haven't been wrong since 1987, so I'm due.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    Is there an award for MisterGhost to be the fastest to 100 posts?

Is there an award for MisterGhost to be the fastest to 100 stupid posts?

Oh wait, those are the same.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    I wouldn't even try to soak this penny in acetone :D:D no way no how it is not glued it's the real deal.

Then "WHY" is the lettering backwards? You'd think that if the reverse were 'minted' over the obverse that the lettering would be as readable as it is on the reverse.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file