Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat find rare error penny what do you think.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 6:16AM

Glue. Someone super-glued two cents together, then broke them apart.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@MrHalfDime said:
    Well, Misterghost, you have made a rather inauspicious start here, with your 31 posts, first presenting an unusual coin and asking the other experts here for their considered opinions ("what do you think"). Several forum members have taken the time to offer you their considered opinions on your coin, yet you choose to completely ignore them and categorically dismiss their opinions. Have you noticed that there appears to be complete agreement among these many posters as to the origin of the appearance of your coin? Presumably, you joined this forum to learn from the many experts here, or maybe just enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded individuals. But by being so argumentative and confrontational, you may soon destroy any chance of that happening. You would do well to listen to others, and maybe learn something.

they are going by pictures as are you. if you seen the penny you would change your tone any expert would say you need to get it verified. so to the fact that the ones that are saying it is fake they are showing their lack of professionalism by just going by pictures and saying its fake.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:

@astrorat said:
    Back to my first question ...

"Since you believe it's a real mint error, how do you explain its creation?"

I was not at the mint I can only guess. The same way the other error coins happen by chance.

If you don't have any idea how such an error can happen, how can you be so steadfastly confident your coin is an authentic error?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sad part of this issue is, we will likely never hear the outcome if the coin is submitted. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Resistance is futile"........you must belong to the Borg Collective. Make me a believer. Submit the coin for authentication. I will reserve my judgement until you come back here with the results.

And by the way............your coin is not a "Penny". Pennies are from Great Britain and its' foreign colonies.

It is a CENT!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    MisterGhostMisterGhost Posts: 80
    edited October 25, 2017 6:23AM

@astrorat said:

@MisterGhost said:

@astrorat said:
    Back to my first question ...

"Since you believe it's a real mint error, how do you explain its creation?"

I was not at the mint I can only guess. The same way the other error coins happen by chance.

If you don't have any idea how such an error can happen, how can you be so steadfastly confident your coin is an authentic error?

who knows how it happened. a coin got flipped and stamped on this coin it could have been a number of possibilities. I just know it happened and it has been in a safe for years and dug out recently to apparently start a huge discussion about glue :D

• Options
    edited October 25, 2017 6:26AM

I can pick at the coin with my finger nail and nothing comes off it is real trust me. I know that nowadays you cant believe things but I guarantee this coin until the end. 100% real no faking no glue all penny. If you where to see in person you would agree and shake my hand with apologies.

• Options

and as for putting my coin in acetone. no. that is for the next owner. > @BuffaloIronTail said:

"Resistance is futile"........you must belong to the Borg Collective. Make me a believer. Submit the coin for authentication. I will reserve my judgement until you come back here with the results.

And by the way............your coin is not a "Penny". Pennies are from Great Britain and its' foreign colonies.

It is a CENT!

Pete

thanks for the correction cent not penny. duly noted

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Troll.

Why do we always take the bait? Decent people making a futile effort to be helpful, I guess.

Whatever happened to that guy overseas who was adamant that his best up proof Franklin half was actually a PL business strike? Or the person with the well worn 1913 Liberty nickel that they insisted was real? We never seem to hear back after the coin was submitted.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't the pattern that is "stamped" on the obverse of the other penny show some resemblance to a random liquid flow? No hot metal is used in the coining process, so if your assertion is true, a "scrap" piece of metal in this shape would need to have been stamped on top of the underlying coin...how extraordinary that it also just so happens to align perfectly with the perimeter/rim of the underlying coin!

Do you see at least a little bit why people are indicating it couldn't have happened in the normal minting process?

• Options

why do people like you when confronted by people who don't agree with you try and pin troll on the person.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, the underlying 'host coin' is real, and the reveresed raised 'impression' left by the second coin is real, but the raised reversed impression is non-metalic, meaning it is something other than the copper/zinc alloy used to coin his cent. I'd be willing to bet it's some sort of resin or bonding glue that is adhered to the surface of the host coin.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2017 6:33AM

do you think I got up today because I thought well JBK needs me to troll him on something today are you serious. :):D grow up buddy. nobody is trying to steal your limelight I'm just here showing a coin.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:

who knows how it happened.

Is this the test for determining authenticity now a days? I'll have to get busy in my garage.

• Options
    tennbjjtennbjj Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

I had a similar coin several years ago that was purchased from the Elmer's Family Heritage Collection auction.

Based on the pics, I'd say that will grade out as a VG, AKA Very Glued

• Options

sometimes people are ignorant do you think this site was made for you. no. it is made to discuss coins and other collectibles. if you don't like the discussion take a hike.

• Options

For some reason I love this thread.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2017 6:40AM

yea you guys have fun with it. I will find other opinions. wonder how this site got any users some of you should be embarrassed by the way you carry yourselves not feeding into it any more. if someone has something constructive to say maybe I will respond other than that enjoy the pics of my cent piece.

no harm, no foul

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 6:40AM

^^^^
    Because you are pushing a string uphill and now have 41 posts--correction, now 44--without a single person agreeing with you.

These are not some random guys on this forum. In my case although I am not The resident error expert, who is Mr. Fred Weinberg, I have been involved daily in numismatics (mostly as a dealer) since I was 12 years old. Which was 56 years ago. For the last 12 years, until we recently parted ways, I wrote about and cataloged U.S. coins full-time for Heritage auctions as a contractor, coins in the six- and seven-figure range. Including error coins of all kinds. And I tell you conclusively that there is no way this is anything that was produced inside the United States Mint.

I'm out.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    I have a feeling that my penny is going to be worth some money.

Exactly one cent.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

As someone who has seen many dozens or more of these coins in my 40-plus years at Coin World and as author of the Collectors' Clearinghouse column off and on during that time, I agree with all of the other experienced collectors here that glue or some similar substance rests atop the surface of the cent. Note that the extra “design elements” are at a slightly higher elevation than the “normal” portions of the cent. While a glue impression can mimic other error types, experts can recognize this form of alteration (which could have been unintentional) from photographs.
    William Gibbs, managing editor, Coin World

• Options

@giorgio11 said:
    ^^^^
    Because you are pushing a string uphill and now have 41 posts--correction, now 44--without a single person agreeing with you.

These are not some random guys on this forum. In my case although I am not The resident error expert, who is Mr. Fred Weinberg, I have been involved daily in numismatics (mostly as a dealer) since I was 12 years old. Which was 56 years ago. For the last 12 years, until we recently parted ways, I wrote about and cataloged U.S. coins full-time for Heritage auctions as a contractor, coins in the six- and seven-figure range. Including error coins of all kinds. And I tell you conclusively that there is no way this is anything that was produced inside the United States Mint.

I'm out.

Kind regards,

George

I am afraid that this is a real us coin. no fake no imitation no camera trickery no magician tricks all real. 100% us cent piece I'm guessing that this coin is going to be very valuable do to the extreme speculation some of you have. I wish I could show you guys in person.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will ask again.

@ModCrewman said:
    Doesn't the pattern that is "stamped" on the obverse of the other penny show some resemblance to a random liquid flow? No hot metal is used in the coining process, so if your assertion is true, a "scrap" piece of metal in this shape would need to have been stamped on top of the underlying coin...how extraordinary that it also just so happens to align perfectly with the perimeter/rim of the underlying coin!

Do you see at least a little bit why people are indicating it couldn't have happened in the normal minting process?

• Options

I didn't join a coin forum I joined THE HATERS CLUB :D

• Options

Its not my coin I can hate if I want B)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 6:50AM

You know what! It's a late state diecap that was then stuck into the OPer's coin! >:)

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Why do we always take the bait?

Early morning entertainment.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2017 6:54AM

@ModCrewman said:
    I will ask again.

@ModCrewman said:

I don't have an explanation. I don't. But I can tell you that with out a doubt this coin is an error coin. this is a rare coin I have yet to find one like this that has sold or is for sale. this happened at the mint no question. if you where to see it up close you would agree. I am taking more pictures for the unbelievers but keep in mind only so much shows up in a picture. as stated before I am far from a coin expert but I can say Iknow what a glued coin looks like and I know what error coins look like and this is a real error coin.

• Options

starting bid 1,000,000.00 B) find another like it.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    who knows how it happened. a coin got flipped and stamped on this coin it could have been a number of possibilities. I just know it happened and it has been in a safe for years and dug out recently to apparently start a huge discussion about glue :D

See, you're starting to understand that every error is a result of some specific factors. Something happened, which led to something else, which resulted in a particular error and accompanying characteristics. What you described above, regardless of how improbable, would leave an incuse print on the surface on the coin, not a raised one.

Any other guesses?

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    starting bid 1,000,000.00 B) find another like it.

How much will you pay for a similar one?
    I can make one for you.
    And you are right your penny is real, the error is not.

• Options

Maybe You can see your glue with these pics :D:D

More Glue

• Options

Now tell me if I didn't find a jewel. :o

• Options

I know What I have and I'm happy with it.

• Options

this could be the one that sends me laughing to the bank :o

• Options
    edited October 25, 2017 7:07AM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@MisterGhost said:

See, you're starting to understand that every error is a result of some specific factors. Something happened, which led to something else, which resulted in a particular error and accompanying characteristics. What you described above, regardless of how improbable, would leave an incuse print on the surface on the coin, not a raised one.

Any other guesses?

it is not raised as much as you would think in fact the coin is as smooth as any other in most places I have the camera on zoom and it makes it look more raised that it is. It is an error and it did happen at the mint. How, who knows it just happened. like any other rare error the stars aligned just right.

• Options

Go to google and search "Penny Glue Residue". You'll find multiple similar images.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

show me a picture that's looks like mine or better yet replicate it

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

GLUE, GLUE, AND GLUE

• Options

do you see where liberty was struck. you can see where something happened when it was struck and kind of pushed the overlaying imprint to the right when it was struck.

• Options

a blind man could see this and from my knowledge glue cant move or distort metal.

• Options

copy the picture and zoom in don't be close minded.

• Options

the entire rim of the reverse stamp overlay on the front is visible you cant tell me you cant see that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file