Home U.S. Coin Forum

Neat find rare error penny what do you think.

MisterGhostMisterGhost Posts: 80
edited October 25, 2017 4:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Older penny in collection for years just dug out. reverse stamped on front makes an odd design. Year is not totally visible due to error.

It looks like a possible overlay of another coin. Not sure what happened but still neat.

Tagged:

Comments

• Glue?

• it's real not glued lol. :D

• one of a kind imo B)

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something looks off about that

• it's real

• MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be glue - I had something like that once and glue was the suggestion from here. I soaked it in acetone for a minute and sure enough it was glue.

Jim

• I wouldn't even try to soak this penny in acetone :D:D no way no how it is not glued it's the real deal.

• slightly different angle

• I have never seen an example like this one. I think it's neat and it is not glued. trust me

• MisterGhostMisterGhost Posts: 80
    edited October 25, 2017 5:05AM

try again apparently it's hard to believe for you not seeing in person but I can assure you there is no glue involved. I will try to upload better pics to show if possible. Glue :D:D that's funny.

• the only way to get the reverse stamp off the front is with a grinder :)

edited October 25, 2017 5:19AM

goodness all these people hating on my penny. it is real and its mine B) lol no glue included lol it is legit. ask for a camera angle and quit hating on the fact that I got it and you don't and it is 1,000% real I'm not here to fool anyone just thought you guys would like to see a one in a billion penny.

• Glue that is funny. is that the go to when something is as magnificent as MY penny

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    try again apparently it's hard to believe for you not seeing in person but I can assure you there is no glue involved. I will try to upload better pics to show if possible. Glue :D:D that's funny.

Instead of laughing at very experienced numismatists consider listening to them. Another coin was glued to your coin. It came off. What you see is the glue left behind, which includes a mirror of the other coin’s design. This isn’t an error. It’s damage, however neat you may think it looks.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • to funny another glue guy

edited October 25, 2017 5:25AM

some people need to get off there high horse and deal with the fact. IT IS REAL and geuss what its not Glued lol B)

• haha glue pennys together I have heard it all now. If it was glued they used a welder.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're in denial. "No I'm not."

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • you are crazy the penny is smooth no other penny has been glued on top. :oB)

• you are entitled to your opinion glue and all :)

• YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Why do you insist that you know more than all of the experienced numismatists here? These types of posters make me want PCGS to stop granting new memberships to this forum.

• it is people like you who should be banned. you act like you know more, judgemental, ignorant. how can you make that type of judgement sitting at your computer. and then when someone doesn't agree with you get mad about it. what a joke.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you believe it's a real mint error, how do you explain its creation?

Are you submitting the coin to a TPG for authentication and grading?

Oh ... why wouldn't you "even try to soak this coin in acetone?" What harm would come to an authentic mint error by soaking in pure acetone? [Hint: The answer is 'no harm.']

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    some people need to get off there high horse and deal with the fact. IT IS REAL and geuss what its not Glued lol B)

You win. It's clear that you have something so rare, it's not possible to put a price on it. Please tell us how this came out of the mint looking like this.

Larry

edited October 25, 2017 5:33AM

Do you think that because some of you believe that its not real :D it is by the way. that I should just toss it in some acid and destroy it. lol or maybe I should just throw it away. I will tell you what I am going to have it graded how about that.

@MisterGhost said:
    Do you think that because some of you believe that its not real :D it is by the way. that I should just toss it in some acid and destroy it. lol or maybe I should just throw it away. I will tell you what I am going to have it graded how about that.

Who suggested to "toss it in some acid?"

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • acetone. correction .. I am not going to remove any tarnish from this coin at all I wouldn't even rub it clean for fear I may rub the glue off- :D Last part is a joke by the way.

I am not understanding why people would think it is fake please explain. it is not glued I promise you It is a factory error penny. it is what it is

• I'm not here trying to make enemies just showing you guys a coin no need to get mad at me because my coin is not fake. is that the way it is around here someone has something and they get hated on for it.

• pretty rough crowd. :#

• YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

I do not understand why you are being disrespectful to and personally attacking everyone who is simply telling you what we know to be true based on our years of experience, just because what we are saying is in opposition to what you are saying. This is not a "tough crowd." We know what we are talking about and have no reason to tell you that the coin is fake if we do not really think it is fake.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this guy is trolling, but i'll bite anyway. Acetone is an organic solvent. It does not remove toning and is safe on copper.

Alternatively, just submit it to PCGS and don't forget to post the results.

edited October 25, 2017 5:54AM

sure. you have your opinion. you need more experience in my opinion. because my coin is the real deal. no glue, no joke, it is not fake, it is real. like or not sometimes even you are wrong. no disrespect to those who are respectful to me but just because you have been on this site or maybe in coin collection for years does not make you right 100% of the time. especially in this case you are dead wrong. it is real B)

• just because I'm a somewhat new user does not mean I have not been involved in coins for years I will grant you I am no expert in coins but I do know some things maybe more or less than you. think about it do you think I would waste my time with a fake coin to get on this site to joke around to just do it. please

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, you think everyone is wrong, except for you?

edited October 25, 2017 6:00AM

lets just say for giggles it is real which it is. what do you think pretty neat in my opinion. :)

• @TwoKopeiki said:
    So, you think everyone is wrong, except for you?

absolutely not. but in this case absolutely

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please submit your coin to PCGS... and please follow up with the results.... Understand that there are highly accomplished professionals here on this forum. Many have written books on various coins and even on errors (100 Greatest Errors). I will add that acetone cannot possibly harm your cent.. it is an organic solvent. Cheers, RickO

Back to my first question ...

"Since you believe it's a real mint error, how do you explain its creation?"

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a coin even a Coinstar machine couldn't love.

All glory is fleeting.
  • again no one is willing to comment on the coin itself. I can understand that for some of you this coin is questionable. let me reassure you that this coin is real. not fake. it is a real error penny.

I'm getting the sense that some are mad maybe jealous of the fact that I have it and they don't. from the error pennies that I have viewed over the years I think I have a diamond.

I understand that some of you have had bad luck with coins being glued but fortunately for me it is not glued :D or fake.

• @astrorat said:
    Back to my first question ...

"Since you believe it's a real mint error, how do you explain its creation?"

I was not at the mint I can only guess. The same way the other error coins happen by chance.

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

Well, Misterghost, you have made a rather inauspicious start here, with your 31 posts, first presenting an unusual coin and asking the other experts here for their considered opinions ("what do you think"). Several forum members have taken the time to offer you their considered opinions on your coin, yet you choose to completely ignore them and categorically dismiss their opinions. Have you noticed that there appears to be complete agreement among these many posters as to the origin of the appearance of your coin? Presumably, you joined this forum to learn from the many experts here, or maybe just enjoy the camaraderie of like-minded individuals. But by being so argumentative and confrontational, you may soon destroy any chance of that happening. You would do well to listen to others, and maybe learn something.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

send it to PCGS for authentication ... or not ...

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• I have a feeling that my penny is going to be worth some money.

@MisterGhost said:
    again no one is willing to comment on the coin itself. I can understand that for some of you this coin is questionable. let me reassure you that this coin is real. not fake. it is a real error penny.

I'm getting the sense that some are mad maybe jealous of the fact that I have it and they don't. from the error pennies that I have viewed over the years I think I have a diamond.

I understand that some of you have had bad luck with coins being glued but fortunately for me it is not glued :D or fake.

Well ... people have commented on your coin ... you just don't like the comments.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • nobody believes my penny is real so far. I would love to see your faces when you find out this is real

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 6:14AM

Would you believe a response from @FredWeinberg, the foremost US expert in numismatic errors? No one is indicating that you applied the glue and are trying to deceive anyone. What we are telling you is that at some point "a liquid adhesive" or other sticky substance (think syrup, lacquer, varnish, paint, etc.) got on the surface of this coin and another coin came to rest on top of it. Eventually the two coins were pried apart and the "liquid adhesive" stuck to one of the coins leaving this reverse image.

Those who are telling you that acetone will reveal the truth are correct. A soak in acetone will most likely dissolve or soften the material. If it is indeed metal there will be no harm to the coin.

I appreciate your passion...but you really should consider what everyone else is trying to tell you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file