Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat find rare error penny what do you think.

Comments

• Options

that is from a factory error when struck. this is quite the discussion piece. I got dollar bill signs in my eyes B)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mind isn't close, but yours is CLOSED.

Sorry............no more posts to this thread by me.................BYE

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Take another look.

awesome and its mine all mine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 7:21AM

@MisterGhost said:
    pretty rough crowd. :#

You've got that right. Coins like this can even fool very experienced numismatists sometimes and no one has provided an explanation. It's quite common for two coins to become stuck together by various substances nd it's often "glue" or adhesive. If the bond between the adhesive and the coins fails cleanly then it often appears to be an error rather than foreign substance.

This is apparently what happened here except the glue didn't completely bond both coins..

Welcome aboard. This can be fun.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    tennbjjtennbjj Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    that is from a factory error when struck. this is quite the discussion piece. I got dollar bill signs in my eyes B)

I din't realize the Mint was called a factory now

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several well-respected, highly experienced numismatists who have provided their opinion that there is some form of adherent on the surface of your cent...and you can count me among them.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    GLUE, GLUE, AND GLUE

You sound so sure of yourself - how do you know it isn't some kind of cement, adhesive or even lacquer? ;)

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    nobody believes my penny is real so far. I would love to see your faces when you find out this is real

Just to show you how little you KNOW.... You don't have a penny!!! You have a Cent coin. If you believe it's a penny post on the world coin forum and see what they think.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

what an incredible error

if it was mine, I would list it on eBay

• Options

because you can see and feel the metal.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are the closed mind person when the experts tell you that it is glue and you argue with the experts.

Instead of arguing, why don't you try to LEARN something.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm :worried: [worried] that I am becoming jealous :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

it happens

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 7:31AM

@MisterGhost said:
    do you see where liberty was struck. you can see where something happened when it was struck and kind of pushed the overlaying imprint to the right when it was struck.

The void isn't "liberty." It's the piece of glue that came off still attached to the other coin glued on it. It just happens to look like an abstract head and neck. Notice the glue imprint is of the reveverse. There is no "liberty" on the reverse design. (There is a really tiny Abe on memorial reverses though)

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

The penny might be real but that does not impact the case where another penny has been glued (or epoxied or ??) on top of another one and then removed. Instead of going on with continuing to challenge the knowledgable folks who have voiced their opinions that it is glue prove them wrong by submitting it to PCGS, NCG or ANACS and then post the results. You are very confident that the error is a real one that occurred in the minting process and would it not be a nice thing to have it confirmed and then post the results to these boards so that all the doubters can eat some crow?

K

ANA LM
  • Options

you guys are not making any cents B)

• Options

B):#:#

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

what? are you admitting to and showing us how to make mint errors?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elmer's wasn't used on your coin,
    in all probability .

A clear glue was.

You're getting' warm..........

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 8:07AM

I sure hope he takes some of the millions of dollars he makes off this OBVIOUS error coin and spends it on either a decent "spell-check" app or a secondary education............... :D

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@MisterGhost said:
    I have a feeling that my penny is going to be worth some money.

Exactly one cent.

I'm not sure it's even worth 1 cent...it won't go through a Coin Star and would a teller even accept it. :smile:

• Options
    MisterGhostMisterGhost Posts: 80
    edited October 25, 2017 8:12AM

@DBSTrader2 said:
    I sure hope he takes some of the millions of dollars he makes off this OBVIOUS error coin and spends it on either a decent "spell-check" app or a secondary education............... :D

I use a laptop I don't have time to play on a cell phone all day like you. a spell check app is not necessary especially when your dealing with people who believe that my coin is glued. They cant be to smart anyway. who is going to notice a few misspellings. The glue deans

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! That was a good one...I think. Got some of us dusted up a bit! :)

K

ANA LM
  • Options

don't be hating I got the glue

• Options

over 500 views 128 comments and its not even 12:00 time to lay off the glue for awhile.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterGhost said:
    Do you think that because some of you believe that its not real :D it is by the way. that I should just toss it in some acid and destroy it. lol or maybe I should just throw it away. I will tell you what I am going to have it graded how about that.

Acetone will not hurt your coin. It is NOT acid but will dissolve glue if that is what it is. If it's not "organic" then acetone will not harm it at all.
    Good luck on the grading....

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and what do you think happened at the Mint to make this error? Can you explain, please.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

"I use a laptop I don't have time to play on a cell phone all day like you. a spell check app is not necessary especially when YOUR dealing with people who believe that my coin is glued. They CANT be TO smart anyway. who is going to notice a few misspellings. The glue deans"

I'm not on my phone either, but at least my PC has spell-check, or I can recognize common spelling errors. I changed each of your errors in the above to all caps. But I'm tapping-out now as well. No more time left for Trolls. Enjoy your new-found fortune...........

• Options

some knuckle head at the mint goofed and made me my gem some say he had some glue in his pocket but that's another story for another day. :#

• Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    "I use a laptop I don't have time to play on a cell phone all day like you. a spell check app is not necessary especially when YOUR dealing with people who believe that my coin is glued. They CANT be TO smart anyway. who is going to notice a few misspellings. The glue deans"

I'm not on my phone either, but at least my PC has spell-check, or I can recognize common spelling errors. I changed each of your errors in the above to all caps. But I'm tapping-out now as well. No more time left for Trolls. Enjoy your new-found fortune...........

whats wrong with that hating on my coin and hating on me. your just hatefull

• Options

If I were you, I'd play the lottery. Between this post & the other one with your "experimental" Bicentennial half, you seem to be the LUCKIEST man on earth in finding rare error gems! :D Not hating on your coin at all, just your trolling. Can't wait to see what you happen upon next, as most things happen in 3's...............

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is its weight?

• Options

Glue geat real :D still has me laughing nearly pissed myself

• Options

oh boy. yea its glue alright elmers glue all over my penny.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Okay this is why they think it's not a error. If you look at your coin you can see the error part is not struck by a coin die it is incused so if you look at the rev of that cent you can see how it should look on the obv if it was struck by a die. Should be struck up and it's not so it looks like it is a copy of a coin that was stuck to another coin. :)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@MisterGhost said:

the only way to get the reverse stamp off the front is with a grinder :)

But some Nice pic:

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:
    :D Okay this is why they think it's not a error. If you look at your coin you can see the error part is not struck by a coin die it is incused so if you look at the rev of that cent you can see how it should look on the obv if it was struck by a die. Should be struck up and it's not so it looks like it is a copy of a coin that was stuck to another coin. :)

the coin was struck on top not stuck on with glue struck is the word. just look at it

• Options

can you not see the the imprint of the coin rim and the tarnish on the coin. glue does not tarnish now does it. think about it
    :o

• Options

notice the E in liberty is missing due to the error when it was minted no other explanation can be given.

• Options
    MisterGhostMisterGhost Posts: 80
    edited October 25, 2017 8:51AM

bids now being accepted. Reserve is set at 1,000,000.00 happy bidding. If you buy it you can soak in diesel fuel for all I care. No guarantees a\on anything I cant control what happens to it after it leaves my possesion

• Options

I think you should send it in and pay the $60 for it to be graded as error you can get big $$$ for it if it comes back as so. maybe $20K or so.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:
    I think you should send it in and pay the $60 for it to be graded as error you can get big $$$ for it if it comes back as so. maybe $20K or so.

that's what Ive been trying to tell everyone this thing is big money

• Options

glue and all :D

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read this entire thread.

I do not know whether I enjoyed the read or not. Still trying to figure that out. However it is both exasperating and entertaining at the same time.

From the photos I believe it is glue on the coin. For the sake of the owner I hope I am wrong. Either dip it in acetone or send it in for grading. Let us know the outcome.

If you are correct then eveyone who posted that they disagree with you can eat humble pie and ask for your forgiveness.

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it to PCGS and then post results. Will cost a few buck but your opinion will be validated or you'll find out it is not a mint error.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2017 8:58AM

@MisterGhost said:

@Type2 said:

that's what Ive been trying to tell everyone this thing is big money

Coming from someone that has actually found a "big money" Lincoln cent in the wild I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that you have not.

This thread has been some humorous hump-day morning fun though!

The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file