Home U.S. Coin Forum

The wife threw out a gold coin that came in yesterday's mail

ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

So a few weeks ago there was some rumors about govmint having a special promo code that I couldn't refuse. So I bought a 1/4 oz gold eagle and put it in my wife's name (playing the household limits game) and gave her a heads up about it.

Today I was checking the tracking# and it said it was delivered yesterday.

She took the mail and said there was no "coin package." So now I'm getting worried because we have a tracking # that says delivered and me being a new customer saying that I didn't receive the coin would seem like I would be trying to scam them in sending a "replacement."

Not knowing what recourse I could take, I was about to call UPS when the wife yelled across the house that she "found it." Turns out... she received a bubble mailer with a govmint catalog inside and she thought that was all that was in there so she put it in the recycle (not seeing the gold coin in the plastic flip.) Since I have put her name on past orders from other deals (such as mint orders) she figured it was just "spam." LUCKILY trash days are Tuesday nights so it didn't go far.

I'll never let her live this down, but glad it was a "good" outcome.

Comments

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive had a few similar situations with my wife picking stuff up at the PO Box.

Glad that it was found.

It also makes me wonder how many coins end up in landfills every year.....

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whew! That was close. I'm glad it worked out, Chris.

FWIW, I'd never get away with referring to her as "the wife".
    Lance.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would have been a great day for the trash man. What a tip that would have been.( if he actually found it) Glad it worked out.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

So does she get flowers? And bravo for probably winning the award for title that created the most clicks of any thread in CU history.

The more you VAM..
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Least it wasn't a Stella like Fred!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Bochiman already beat you to it. :p

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Boosibri said:

Bochiman already beat you to it. :p

Oops!

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

close one!

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... close call....Glad it was found....It is a terrible feeling when something of value goes missing - whether the value is monetary or sentimental....some can be replaced, some not....either way, it is a sick feeling in the gut....Cheers, RickO

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been there too.

You definitely have to keep an eye on the wife when she picks up the mail and an even closer eye on the recycle bin!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Luckily you were able to recover it. we're all imperfect and make mistakes.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure beats an old wive's tale and am glad to read you didn't beat the old wive's tail.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's be fair.

The wife almost threw out a gold coin.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

My ex was jealous of Susan B Anthony and some old Shoshone woman.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd get a card from a divorce lawyer and stick it in the fridge just go let her know she is on double secret probation.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Not as bad as a $4 Stella being thrown out by a major dealer. It was never recovered.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@AnkurJ said:
    Not as bad as a $4 Stella being thrown out by a major dealer. It was never recovered.

See above.

Paul
  • RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

Covanta estimates that U.S. residents throw away an estimated $61.8 million in coins every year by dropping them, vacuuming them up or otherwise losing them, as reported by Bloomberg.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

lucky for her at that time.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine wants to throw out anything smaller than a 1/2 dollar size.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad it was recovered!

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:
    Covanta estimates that U.S. residents throw away an estimated $61.8 million in coins every year by dropping them, vacuuming them up or otherwise losing them, as reported by Bloomberg.

That's less than twenty cents per person.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 1:37PM

I asked my wife to pick up the FREE PROMO 1/10 oz gold american eagle at the 2004 PIttsburgh ANA show and the dealer gave her a hard time. She finally got the freebie but it was not worth the aggravation I suffered afterwards from her.

So I understand completely!!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:

My kids toss change in the garbage can all the time.

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Good to hear that you were able to find it ChrisRx, not a good thing when that kind of stuff happens lol My wife has never thrown out a coin in the trash before but she has thrown out a brand new Penn International 12 in the box before. Think she got tired of seeing it on the dining room table after a couple of weeks and she just grabbed it thinking it was just a box (so she says) and threw it out. I was going to go fishing, I couldn't find it and asked her about it and she said she "might have thrown it out accidently" when she was cleaning the house. lol I can laugh about it now but was not too happy when I found out about it and could never find it to this day. I never leave things on the table after that!

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm rather sure the Mrs would like to throw some of my coins out, like the ones she called me about when I was in Europe and she opened my checking account statement - with the big arsed cheque to Stacks clearing.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife cleaned of the top of our dresser. I Had a 10K gold ring that I had found on the street laying there It was pretty beat up but gold. She tossed it in the trash. Fortunately I noticed the cleaning and asked about the ring. She thought it was trash. I Dug it out of the can and put it away

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

she was just trying to recycle it, very commendable

LCoopie = Les
  • BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

When I was collecting obsolete currency sheets they were sent to me in hard cardboard mailers.. I thought I was being clever in leaving groups of them in a couple holders stacked up with empty holders and basically left in the open in the dining room (rarely used).
    Wife cleaned up and put all in the basement and forgot that 6 mos to a year later that I warned her that several weren't empty.
    One contained a 27K order from Hugh Schull, another a Abraham Lincoln signature, and other misc. sheets and ephemeral.

Yes, on an additional cleanup of the basement she threw the stack of mailers away.

I've had large daily swings in my stock trading and usual able to shake it off within a day or so but here there're been a number of reminders when a new catalogue had one of the same bank sheet (usually having a profitable estimate)

In 15 years I have probably only brought up the subject 6 times to my wife.

Hard at times thinking that all of it was probably made into toilet paper

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not like it was a stella or something.......... ;)> @pmac said:

@AnkurJ said:

See above.

I must have been too subtle ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BIGAL2749 said:
    When I was collecting obsolete currency sheets they were sent to me in hard cardboard mailers.. I thought I was being clever in leaving groups of them in a couple holders stacked up with empty holders and basically left in the open in the dining room (rarely used).
    Wife cleaned up and put all in the basement and forgot that 6 mos to a year later that I warned her that several weren't empty.
    One contained a 27K order from Hugh Schull, another a Abraham Lincoln signature, and other misc. sheets and ephemeral.

Yes, on an additional cleanup of the basement she threw the stack of mailers away.

I've had large daily swings in my stock trading and usual able to shake it off within a day or so but here there're been a number of reminders when a new catalogue had one of the same bank sheet (usually having a profitable estimate)

At least it's not your ex-wife now.. ;)

That is a heartwrenching story..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BIGAL2749 said:

Only 6 times?
    You are a MUCH better man than I.
    Truly.

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

3 or 4 times of those times that I brought it up to her was when I'd get a new catalogue that featured the same bank sheet (usually estimated at what would have been a nice profit).

That was one of the troubling aspects of the ordeal. Those cat. would remind me of the ordeal and I just wanted to forget..

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 7:15AM

Glad c u got it, scared me. Get a POB and have nothing of yours addressed to wife.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

I recently shipped $600 worth of banknotes and a Morgan to a customer, the wife had received the package said there was a coin and just a bunch of cardboard in the package and threw it out. The husband being honest and having purchased from us before knew the banknotes were in those cardboard folders and offered to take the hit on the cost. However seeing as how he is a good customer who has purchased multiple times from us we refunded the price of the notes.

Now I make sure to write on every cardboard folder "Merchandise inside please open"

all around collector of many fine things

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad that the Au coin was found in the end. Any other golden capers, @ChrisRx ?

Happy ending alert! :)

Old thread alert.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:
    I'll never let her live this down, but glad it was a "good" outcome.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
    By tomorrow the whole thing will be your fault. :*

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Old thread alert.

I wish our host would flag these somehow. I always feel like a cretin when I respond to the OP.

• QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

Isn’t there a saying, “only invest as much as you’re willing to recycle?”

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

I retrieved a 1918 "Broken Sword" Dan Carr Peace Dollar out of the Recycle bin just in time. I did not realize it was still in the cardboard mailer when I tossed it in with some other cardboard packaging :o

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread... Old or not...

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

As penance she should spend several hours at Mel Fisher's museum and pretend she likes it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file