Home Precious Metals
Options

How low will it go ?

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to pick the bottom and could use some help.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we talking about the Limbo Rock. gold or silver?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as this economy is doing well and the dollar is on the upward swing silver and gold will continue down.
    But hey! That's a good thing, right? Of course ya wanna buy it up when it hits bottom. Who know where the bottom might be. Maybe now would be a good time to sell. Or, this could just be the calm before the storm.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

I would not worry about catching the bottom i started buying again when silver got to the 17 level not much but would add at least 100 ounce per month. When silver got down to 13.50 level I doubled the amount I had bought at higher levels. What I have found out silver and gold will hit the lows like in 2008 when a big event takes place everything comes down if you are watching this one unfold is is already starting in Europe unlike last time is started here. Gold will go under the big line the $1000 mark I would think $775 to $875 silver 9.70 to 12 but when it does take the first hit premiums go up and it is harder to buy 5000 to 10, 000 ounces quick. So I always add at these prices and buy as much as I can at a low. The reason I always add is because it always takes one event to change the game and this way your always in with out a risk.

• Options

@cohodk said:
    He who picks bottoms gets stinky finger.

I wish I would of had sticky fingers I always thought greedy pigs get slaughtered but in America today they are winning and running the world. I bought on the last run between $8 and $11 started selling at $27 sold most at $32 and my last 3000 ounces at $39 so I wish I would of had sticky fingers I would have made a lot more.

• Options
    BillsonBillson Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@oldstandard said:

@cohodk said:

I wish I would of had sticky fingers I always thought greedy pigs get slaughtered but in America today they are winning and running the world. I bought on the last run between $8 and $11 started selling at $27 sold most at $32 and my last 3000 ounces at $39 so I wish I would of had sticky fingers I would have made a lot more.

i believe cohodk said "stinky" and not "sticky" fingers; a big difference.

Successful BST transactions:
    Buy and sold to Wondercoin,
    Buy from: mbogoman, sol15g

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Depends...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Billson said:

@oldstandard said:

@cohodk said:

Sounds like double dipping, no?

• Options
    BillsonBillson Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Billson said:

@oldstandard said:

@cohodk said:

Who wants to be caught double dipping on picking the bottom :smile:

Successful BST transactions:
    Buy and sold to Wondercoin,
    Buy from: mbogoman, sol15g

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay then..... :D:D:D This went downhill fast....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Bought a monster box a month or so ago. I can buy one now for $900 less.

• Options

@Billson said:

That's funny, well if they are sticky they will eventually stink kind of the same

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am watching the miners. Seems like they rally more than the metal price.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Don't kid yourselves.
    Nobody knows where the bottom is but it sure could be a lot lower than it is now.
    Roll your own dice.
    Good luck to all.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

With the impending calamities both domestic (govt out of money by September) and abroad (lil Kim) possibility high in the fall, I'm surprised it isn't already heading towards $20 or higher

So, with that said, it'll probably hit $13 again :D

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2017 4:47AM

metals will not initially rise above the coming carnage. Oil will lead the decline.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great buying opportunity in my opinion. If you have the money now is the time to buy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    metals will not initially rise above the coming carnage. Oil will lead the decline.

I think derryb just called the bottom in oil.

;)

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited July 7, 2017 6:08AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

;)

Mark crude currently at 44.50. Carnage on the horizon.

• Options

A little piece of silver history. It was November 2007 when I started a thread on this site (Coin forum ) offering an ounce of silver to whomever picked the day silver would hit $15. Bochiman won that "guess the date" giveaway.
    Last time I remember it being "fixed" at that price, was during the Nixon administration with the GSA horde in 1973. Then came the Hunt Bros. fiasco in the late '70s.
    I could see it at $10. It's not that it's a useless industrial metal but ....we have bigger fish to fry in oil.
    On that note , coins are a good hobby to delve in, as that goes.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

;)

Mark crude currently at 44.50. Carnage on the horizon.

Can you quantify "carnage"? Oil wad $52 at end of May and $42 in mid June....nearly a 20% drop. Was this carnage?

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Much of Gold and Silver's run-up seemed to be fueled by mistrust of Democrat leadership. Now that has flip flopped.

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Billson said:

@oldstandard said:

@cohodk said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pLGIgyfjw

• Options

The issue continues to be debt. Everything else is a distraction.

• Options
    bigzesteebigzestee Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

I don't know where the bottom is but it has make some holding nervous.In a few days time it's dropped a significant amount and continues to decline.I do think it's a good time to buy but to try to pick a good number to buy at is the question.

BST references several

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2017 8:25AM

It's a toboggan ride today. Don't worry, there IS a bottom. Just make sure you don't smash into something when you get there.

derryb is entirely correct, though. There is only one real issue, and it's not going away.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Debt? , has nothing to do with price of pm's...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2017 9:18AM

massive debt has something to do with all demand. The cost of contracted highway repairs in Illinois is dropping as we speak.

deleveraging: the process or practice of reducing the level of one's debt by rapidly selling one's assets.

The best performing assets are the last to go. that would currently be equities and real estate.

• Options

@derryb said:
    massive debt has something to do with all demand.

True but it makes you ponder why stocks are up.

BST references several

• Options
    edited July 7, 2017 9:40AM

@bigzestee said:

@derryb said:
    massive debt has something to do with all demand.

True but it makes you ponder why stocks are up.

FED fueled frenzy (since 2009) run by HFT alogos. According to Morgan Stanley 84% of all equity trading is via HFT algos. These algos do not know fear and greed, they are designed to react to each other. Watcha think those algos are gonna do when they smell trouble?

Margin debt, borrowing from the broker to purchase equites, is at an all time high.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

debt has nothing to do with pms until confidence in the currency (i.e. bond market) declines. Then, it does.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2017 9:49AM

@jmski52 said:
    debt has nothing to do with pms until confidence in the currency (i.e. bond market) declines. Then, it does.

After Q1 2013, as the Fed planned to decrease their monthly asset purchases, the strong correlation between the rising U.S. debt and gold broke down, ending a 12-year rally. Will gold revert back to the trend line it hugged so closely this century? Even with the correction, the correlation is still strong at over 90%.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

I've been saying $12 for about 4 months now, I still feel it's inevitable unless some major event happens.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    massive debt has something to do with all demand. The cost of contracted highway repairs in Illinois is dropping as we speak.

deleveraging: the process or practice of reducing the level of one's debt by rapidly selling one's assets.

The best performing assets are the last to go. that would currently be equities and real estate.

Could Illinois afford road repairs even if they were free?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

their 32% tax hike will fix a few more roads. . . for now.

• Options

@piecesofme said:
    I've been saying $12 for about 4 months now, I still feel it's inevitable unless some major event happens.

I hope it doesn't hit $12 but if it keeps falling $.40 a day then it's possible.What it has dropped in a 3 day window is a lot and it could continue.I can see in the $14.50 range but I think people would jump on that price and drive the price back up but another $.50 decline day could spell trouble.

BST references several

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:
    Depends...

Like the kind you wear when picking bottoms?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to pick some up at $12 >:)

• Options

Bought some eagles today for $15. Might get more on Monday at $14.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Bought some eagles today for $15. Might get more on Monday at $14.

Great bargain to get under spot and without a premium.

BST references several

• Options

@derryb said:

So high debt levels are deflationary. No wonder global central banks have had a hard time generating inflation. I think someone on this forum stated as such several years ago when most others were talking about hyperinflation.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be a bold prediction but I say this weekend will be the lowest we see silver in 2017. Pick up all you can afford at these prices.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone should buy at $0.001
    Just kidding, these price roller coaster rides have happened many times in the past. JMO :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been at $8 for a bottom for several years now (on this forum). I have not changed my mind, yet.
    It's a new century and a new beginning for all. We'll see great buying opportunities in the next 5-10 years.

be patient my friend.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

buy when you can, sell when you have to.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I knew who was going to win the baseball games tomorrow or if gold goes up or down I'd give up my day job, get a second and third on the house, liquidate the stock portfolio, and I'd be on my yacht in the South Pacific in six months worrying about capital gains.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2017 11:34PM

@derryb said:
    buy when you can, sell when you have to.

Buy when you can, sell when you WANT to.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I've been at $8 for a bottom for several years now (on this forum). I have not changed my mind, yet.
    It's a new century and a new beginning for all. We'll see great buying opportunities in the next 5-10 years.

be patient my friend.

bob

It was at $8 less than 12 years ago. Seems like forever and seems like yesterday.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

he who picks seat/bottom goes to movie. fwiw

• Options

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@derryb said:

their 32% tax hike will fix a few more roads. . . for now.

...and burn a few bridges.