Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am curious about the age demographics on this platform

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 27, 2017 12:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I would love if you would answer this poll. I am mostly just curious. The poll is anonymous.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

I am curious about the age demographics on this platform

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's easy. Take the Instagram demographic and add 40! :D

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bands are a bit wide on this, just turned 31, not sure if I want to be count as a 50 year old.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will you please add an "over 80" band?

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mentel or physical ?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 10:17PM

The results differ significantly from what I expected. As of this moment, it looks like almost half of the forum hasn't hit AARP age yet or just made the cut-off this year. I see this as a positive for the hobby. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 18-30 is in a virtual tie with the 66+ group.....surprising... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The 18-30 is in a virtual tie with the 66+ group.....surprising... Cheers, RickO

I noticed that as well. The majority are 30-65 :wink:

• Options

@CyndieChildress.... Yes... I have long believed that the 'aging' of the coin collector population is overblown. I used to go to many shows and there were plenty of people in the 18-50 range.... a surprising amount of collectors in the 25-45 age group.... Sure, there are also a good many old timers... but there were also kids as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old age, maybe,
    Can lust purloin;
    Who cares, if we
    Can buy a coin?

Burma Shave

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

These polls are skewed because many old dudes don't use a computer much less a coin forum on the internet.

All younger people use computers .....

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    These polls are skewed because many old dudes don't use a computer much less a coin forum on the internet.

Short of the ancients, most of the old timers are plugged in now.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally agree with this statement. Since I'm in the "Medicare-eligible" crowd now, I associate with a lot of old-timers and all of them are wired up with smart phones or at least PCs. You have to get past the age of 80 to find a significant number of non-techies.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is the first survey I've ever been included with 50 year olds :o

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess 50 is the new 31

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@ricko said:
    @CyndieChildress.... Yes... I have long believed that the 'aging' of the coin collector population is overblown. I used to go to many shows and there were plenty of people in the 18-50 range.... a surprising amount of collectors in the 25-45 age group.... Sure, there are also a good many old timers... but there were also kids as well. Cheers, RickO

@BillJones said:
    I'm old, but I have not lost my marbles yet. I know more now than I knew when I was 40 or 50 years old. When you stop learning, you headed for decline.

That's why this "Where did you get your college degree?" argument is so bogus. A college degree is only a start. It's what you do with it and how you add to it after you graduate is what counts.

Absalutely.!.!
    I sure would love to hang out with you and learn! Your knowledge over the years is a Huge benefit to others

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I guess 50 is the new 31

mark

Oh cool, that means I will be 31 next year.!.!

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Only 51....if we were stamp collectors you'd have to limit your range to 75-100+.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

I totally agree with this statement. Since I'm in the "Medicare-eligible" crowd now, I associate with a lot of old-timers and all of them are wired up with smart phones or at least PCs. You have to get past the age of 80 to find a significant number of non-techies.

Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather do waist size, still a 34!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 65 and I'm hoping old age will last a few more years. Who knows.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Well now there are 159 participants and the bell curve is becoming interesting... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Sure, just ask Eric Newman......

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 11:28AM

@ricko said:
    Well now there are 159 participants and the bell curve is becoming interesting... Cheers, RickO

17 or under equals one vote, 66+ equals 23 votes.

Bell curve looking skewed to the high end.

17 or under 0% 1 vote

18-30
    10% 17 votes
    31-50
    36% 62 votes
    51-65
    38% 65 votes

66+ 13% 23 votes

We're getting old, coins are the next stamps.

• Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

Also agree. My parents are close to 80 and they both have iPhones and iPads. And they are on it many hours a day. My mom recently complained to me that the battery on her iPad is not long enough! The battery that last 8-10 hours? Yeah that battery.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 2:41PM

@epcjimi1 said:

@ricko said:

17 or under equals one vote, 66+ equals 23 votes.

Bell curve looking skewed to the high end.

17 or under 0% 1 vote

18-30
    10% 17 votes
    31-50
    36% 62 votes
    51-65
    38% 65 votes

66+ 13% 23 votes

We're getting old, coins are the next stamps.

This hobby is alive and well. Coins will never become like the stamp market, ever. It's the oldest hobby in the world and is not going anywhere but up.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

If we are trying to find the age demographics of coin collectors in general, then I agree this poll is skewed.

However, the question is asking about the age demographics on this forum. So the older people that don't use a computer are not of interest for this question.

The poll still does have selection bias. Some people might choose to not participate. If those are mainly older people, then the results aren't representative of the population.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Will you please add an "over 80" band?

Love the avatar insider! :D

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@callawayc7 said:

@2ndCharter said:

Also agree. My parents are close to 80 and they both have iPhones and iPads. And they are on it many hours a day. My mom recently complained to me that the battery on her iPad is not long enough! The battery that last 8-10 hours? Yeah that battery.

LOL....great post

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

18-30 11% 23 votes
    66+ 12% 25 votes

Not a good sign.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    18-30 11% 23 votes
    66+ 12% 25 votes

Not a good sign.

Why do you say that? A similar number of "younger" voters and "older" voters would seem to be a good thing, would it not?

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2017 7:37PM

@VanHalen said:

@TurboSnail said:
    18-30 11% 23 votes
    66+ 12% 25 votes

Not a good sign.

Why do you say that? A similar number of "younger" voters and "older" voters would seem to be a good thing, would it not?

How many of the 18-30 age group are married with kids and will still stay with this hobby after all the bills paid? And how many of these 23 voters would continue to stay in this hobby for another 36+ years without being distract to something else?

The number of collectors should be a lot greater at younger age and slowly decrease. Not the other way around.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    30. I've been here more than half my life.

However old I actually am, I think I may have just had a stroke and died. If I recall correctly, Jeremy first stopped by my table when he was a 13-year old in junior high school! My daughters believe I am older than dirt; I think this nails their case.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@airplanenut said:
    30. I've been here more than half my life.

However old I actually am, I think I may have just had a stroke and died. If I recall correctly, Jeremy first stopped by my table when he was a 13-year old in junior high school! My daughters believe I am older than dirt; I think this nails their case.

No, no. I didn't join the boards until I was 14, and I was a high school freshman by then. But yes, you were my very first stop at a coin show (thanks for showing me the ropes!) and you were also the first person I ever flew to see, though there was a 5 1/2 year gap between those events.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 12:07AM

@Boosibri said:
    I resent being in any demographic band that includes the age "50"

Beats the alternative.

Go Green!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Didn't we learn during the last presidential election that polls are worthless?...LOL

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2017 12:36AM

The polls were really..
    Pretty good..
    When interpreted..
    as they should!

Burma Shave

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@VanHalen said:

@TurboSnail said:
    18-30 11% 23 votes
    66+ 12% 25 votes

Not a good sign.

How many of the 18-30 age group are married with kids and will still stay with this hobby after all the bills paid? And how many of these 23 voters would continue to stay in this hobby for another 36+ years without being distract to something else?

The number of collectors should be a lot greater at younger age and slowly decrease. Not the other way around.

Thanks. I can understand that reasoning. I got back into numismatics ten years ago after a thirty year hiatus and hope others do the same. I was encouraged to see nearly half the votes were in "50 and under" categories.

A lack of decent coins in current circulation could be a factor as well. When I was a kid there was still a bit of silver in circulation, Wheaties & real bronze Lincolns were saved and had real purchasing power (penny candies!) and Whitman boards were in many households. I sure plastic card holders and smartphone collections don't supplant numismatics.

• Options

Now with 208 votes cast, I think the poll of forum members is looking very good.... the 18-30 band is better than I expected... and the next two are well supported....with the final being surprisingly weaker than I thought. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I belonged to a fairly large coin club when I was in school back in the 1960's and the demographics back then are about the same as it is now. With a few exceptions it's still mostly a hobby for older white men.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Now 217 votes cast... slowing down... come on guys and gals.... Bump for more input. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I belonged to a fairly large coin club when I was in school back in the 1960's and the demographics back then are about the same as it is now. With a few exceptions it's still mostly a hobby for older white men.

I agree that there tend to be more white older men, but I think the demographics are definitely less skewed than they were in the 60s. I believe I read somewhere that a fairly large chunk of the demographic buying from the mint were women, and the rise of the internet has encouraged many YNs to share their collections online which reveals a whole different side of the hobby. Also, thank you for the great participation in the poll. Respond if you have not already so that we can get mor accurate results. Thanks!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file