HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@vintagefun said:
    Almost a mirror image

Love those cards back to back very cool

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2017 9:47PM

@craignyse said:
    @DM23HOF you were able to get them? i tried the topps site for over 10min, couldn't even get their home page- by the time i was able to get on the site, all the good ones were sold out...lucky if you got all those

Just got super lucky. Also managed a base auto and base sock.

Luckiest I have gotten with Judge is this monster— I got a sick adrenaline rush off this card. The actual chase card of the set!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love his enthusiasm and the excitement he is bringing to baseball and to the card collecting world.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

You have to know it's time to sell when I'm looking to buy a judge card hahaha.

It is becoming hard to resist. I just don't know which cards to buy there so many of them.

• Options

@DM23HOF said:

@craignyse said:
    @DM23HOF you were able to get them? i tried the topps site for over 10min, couldn't even get their home page- by the time i was able to get on the site, all the good ones were sold out...lucky if you got all those

Just got super lucky. Also managed a base auto and base sock.

Luckiest I have gotten with Judge is this monster— I got a sick adrenaline rush off this card. The actual chase card of the set!

That's Sick! wow!!

Back in the hobby after hibernating for many years... Collector from the overproduced years of 1986+
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 6:23AM

i think looks more like Dimaggio....same angular features and "pointed" upper bridge (teeth)

..espn said those topps cards went from $200 to $3000 last night.....now i see why they had to wear those "unique" sleeves and socks...all about marketing...dont blame them

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2017 9:21AM

@vintagefun said:
    Almost a mirror image

Just writing this in lighthearted spirit, intended to be fun, not too serious...

Just sayin'...

The catchy name.

The physique considered superior to his peers.

The toothy smile.

The self-effacing carriage.

The tape measure bombs.

The Yankee stage.

The humble origin story.

The arrival at a time when the zeitgeist is craving a simple, almost Rockwellian diversion.

Remind us collectors of someone? ;)

• Options
    edited July 12, 2017 9:24AM

@craignyse said:

Even ESPN took notice— felt like trying to call in a radio station for concert tickets back in the 80s, and the lines were all jammed, lol...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19965405/aaron-judge-commemorative-hr-derby-cards-sell-minutes-topps-website

"I've seen [Mike] Trout, [Bryce] Harper and [Kris] Bryant and what they did for the hobby," said Jeff Heckman, Topps' director of ecommerce. "But I haven't seen anything like this. We thought the Cubs winning it all was the biggest deal. More people were trying to get on our site today than Game 7 of last year's World Series."

• Options

Topps will probably make them wear a commemorative jock strap they can stick on a card and sell next year.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is there a resemblance between Judge and MAD's Alfred E. Newman?

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I was thinking more along the lines of Baby Jaws from the next Moonraker.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2017 3:56PM

Latest Judgies...

The FFAs are getting scarce.

Wondering how many yellow back Heritage will surface of the 25, seeing how hard it is to detect; I can see several hiding for ages in stacks with the base normal version. Same with the flip stock, of which there are only 5 to begin with.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't watched a home run derby in years and couldn't miss this one. Aaron Judge had all of the pressure and came out and not only fended off an insane first round by his opponent but destroyed the rest of the competition.

I did switch back and forth and watch some Brock Lesnar but that is saying a lot for me to not be able to turn away when Brock is on. I barely watch the current wrestling product unless he is on and still was captivated by Judge.

I have read posts on Net 54 where people are complaining about the event. I am just blown away. It boggles my mind. Baseball needs some excitement and a young slugger that is not only leading the league in homers comes in and puts on a display of this magnitude is only positive for the sport.

It was like a young Michael Jordan wanting to come in and win the dunk contest.

When I was younger baseball was the sport to play. Today it is soccer or lacrosse or some other trendy sport. To bring the young fans back you need guys like Judge so regardless of what his cards do he is a God send for the sport. A young stud blasting home runs is just what the game needs and it is awesome to see hobby participants racing out to get his cards.

None of us know what they will do over the long run but for the current time they are the Amazon of the card world. I would rather sit as a hobby enthusiast and see collectors having fun and speculating on a breakout stars cards than not.

Good luck guys and hopefully this guy turns out to be a long term star.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2017 4:54PM

Just call me skeptical on hot rookies at the start. Once he goes around the league a couple of times the pitchers will find his weak spots. FYI he has one HR in his last 34 at bats. Is 6-26 with 10 strikeouts. Could be just a mini slump or the start of a prolonged cooling off period.

• Options

Every star was once a rookie. And every rookie and star has cold periods. Pitchers make adjustments, then smart and talented hitters adjust back.

It seems to me like everyone on the internet is in such a rush to predict the future one way or the other, instead of enjoying the now, and letting an entertaining story with great potential organically unfold. This is funny, since baseball is a marathon in every way, not a sprint. We tell young players never to rush, to be patient, and yet some fans and card hobbyists are so eager to break out their crystal balls and branding irons.

I had to bail on some other chatrooms because the conversation degenerates into such a puerile tit-for-tat, where every out made is a harbinger of doom, and every HR proof of Babe Ruth status.

There will be stats along the way that can be cited to fit any view; in my humble opinion, it's just about liking and collecting this player, and learning about and hunting down his coolest cards.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Probably should have just said 'no clue yet either' and ended it.. That verse posting the same stuff you stated you bailed on other chat boards because of. :) WOOT :)

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Thx for this thread...never considered heritage cards and bought a pack at target and got the judge/Austin card...very cool 68 design. It's perfect so I'll prolly get it graded..haha, that's a first from target and grading a card?

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

You gotta love the Red Sox having some fun on twitter after Jackie Bradley Jr steals a home run away from Aaron Judge on sunday night.

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

1 for his last 22 and 4 for his last 33. no home runs.

regular slump or have pitchers figured him out?

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Home Run Derby Curse. Duh.

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

• Options
    edited July 18, 2017 8:51PM

@49ersGuy said:
    1 for his last 22 and 4 for his last 33. no home runs.

regular slump or have pitchers figured him out?

Such patches are just part of the natural ebb and flow of the game; during the little rut he struck the ball well, almost had a HR, that was caught by a spectacular catch. Hit another couple of balls hard, too.

As someone collecting the likes of Sanchez, Judge, Severino, Montgomery, and Frazier, I have been finding great deals on ebay whenever they have a cold spell— seems short-term card flippers panic easy or perhaps just haven't played baseball/know the game, LOL. It's a marathon, for sure. Though I'm sure I'll see some prices jacked up on eBay later after he went 2-4 with 2 runs, a walk, and an RBI, LOL.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2017 3:59PM

The Sox picture seems to date from the Cape Cod league era, mentioned in these links:

http://www.capecodbaseball.org/news/season/?article_id=1556

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721663-aaron-judges-hs-football-coach-qb-on-the-yankee-sluggers-17-td-season

Very happy to have these two slabbed now, for protection— between the black borders and the delicate surface of the flip stock, was scared to breathe around them:

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped at Target today - picked up a Topps SC blaster - 8 pks - 5 cards and got this:

Now I gotta figure out how to redeem?

Mike
  • Options

Thinking about getting an Aaron Judge 2013 Bowman Gold Refractor bgs 9.5. All auctions at $7,000 are gone...only $12,000. Now thinking $12,000 is fair since purple was sold for $15,000. Just don't want to go another year and potentially pay over $20,000. I think the golds will hold up the best over time and could top $50,000 within a year or two. Internet has Card fair market at $12k.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

NICE MIKE!

its all on the back of the card

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

@DM23HOF said:
    The Sox picture seems to date from the Cape Cod league era, mentioned in these links:

http://www.capecodbaseball.org/news/season/?article_id=1556

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721663-aaron-judges-hs-football-coach-qb-on-the-yankee-sluggers-17-td-season

Very happy to have these two slabbed now, for protection— between the black borders and the delicate surface of the flip stock, was scared to breathe around them:

ugh, why bgs?

• Options
    edited July 19, 2017 9:21PM

Because I like their holders and the subgrades system for my modern cards, when I'm grading raw.

If I see the card I want and it's slabbed, I'll buy either PSA or BGS.

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    Because I like their holders and the subgrades system for my modern cards, when I'm grading raw.

If I see the card I want and it's slabbed, I'll buy either PSA or BGS.

fair enough

• Options

@ChromeHunter said:
    Thinking about getting an Aaron Judge 2013 Bowman Gold Refractor bgs 9.5. All auctions at $7,000 are gone...only $12,000. Now thinking $12,000 is fair since purple was sold for $15,000. Just don't want to go another year and potentially pay over $20,000. I think the golds will hold up the best over time and could top $50,000 within a year or two. Internet has Card fair market at $12k.

which one on ebay is yours?

Back in the hobby after hibernating for many years... Collector from the overproduced years of 1986+
  • Options

$50,000

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 10:44AM

Got a question.

I rubbed off to reveal a redemption code - when I entered it - it says that the code has already been redeemed.

edit:

called Topps customer service - was really impressed.

Talked to guy named Andy - was friendly and helpful - my account addy somehow got deleted - so the response that the card has already been redeemed is a "default."

He said it would take a day or so to fix and try again - if not - call back - ask for Andy.

Wow - am I impressed - a live body - immediately - "in" the USA!

Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would wait for the hype to die down before picking up any of his cards.
    After all, he's older than both Mike Trout and Bryce Harper, and those two are now both veterans.
    Chances are he'll have a decent but not spectacular career.
    And if he becomes injury prone, card prices will plummet.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2017 12:38PM

@Darin said:
    I would wait for the hype to die down before picking up any of his cards.
    After all, he's older than both Mike Trout and Bryce Harper, and those two are now both veterans.
    Chances are he'll have a decent but not spectacular career.
    And if he becomes injury prone, card prices will plummet.

If someone is being very frugal or just investing, I can see that line of thought; though if Judge maintains a great season and hits 50hr, then someone who wants to collect the player will be left staring at even higher prices later, and then what— rooting for his favorite new player to perform poorly or get injured so his cards will cost less? What if he stays healthy, which is just as likely as the alternative? So for the collector it doesn't make as much sense.

Bottom line, if I'm a fan who wants to collect a player, I'm doing so based on many factors beyond a future projection of what their career will look like at its end, or what their age is relative to other stars.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I just can't see paying 4 or 5 digits on a new card. But that is me...I would rather spent that $15k on a Mantle! I know it's not going to lose value

Anyone remember that basketball player from the Nets in 2012? Jeremy Lin? Wonder how all those investments worked out..I remember 4 and 5 digit sales on his stuff, it was crazy!

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options

I've heard attempts at the Lin comparison, but it's specious at best. Lin didn't lead the league in scoring for a half and win the dunk contest. Hot young players can go either way as time goes on.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

That 2017 Topps Archives 1/1 card ? Whoa....., Had scanned through this thread before but didn't catch that. You box pulled that one ?? It is indeed the grail of holy :)

Pertaining to the Judge cards this year, similarly with Trout 2009, what is the deal with official rookie card designation ? Must be in the team uniform and not a Bowman ? I found this https://www.sportscardforum.com/articles/2010/04/what-is-a-rookie-card/ prior to posting the question but am still thinkin' there are vastly different viewpoints on this topic. Seems with both Trout and this Yankee feller (heh heh) the 'rookie card' is the first year they started kick- n-arse in the bigs, not their first card in the team uniform.

I don;t understand this fully. .

• Options

It popped up on eBay actually— was very lucky to be surfing when it did. Thanks!

Re: the RC designation, MLB set up rules for which cards get it, back in 2006 I believe. It has to do with the year in which the player gets his AB threshold, or makes an opening day roster, though I have not read the fine print. What I can say for sure is that it is an MLB/MLBPA call as to what cards get the RC insignia.

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

What a shot last night! Judge continues to impress...

• Options

What I loved about that shot last night was that he put his head down and never looked up.

Humility and class on display in that highlight. Exactly how kids should see the game played.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    What I loved about that shot last night was that he put his head down and never looked up.

Humility and class on display in that highlight. Exactly how kids should see the game played.

I couldn't agree more. Someone clearly taught this kid early on how to respect the game. Having Jeter around probably didn't hurt either.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2017 10:32AM

Almost complete with the traditional Judge Rookie Card run— just the Superfractor left; pretty pumped.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/24/aaron-judge-is-exposing-the-huge-lie-espn-and-nike-sold-us/

Gold/5
    Blue/68
    Chrome/568
    Blue Border/50
    FlipStock/5
    Gray Back/10
    Yellow Back/25

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

It must be time for a big drop in prices.....because.....

I pulled my first Aaron Judge Auto from a pack of the 2017 Allen & Ginter X online exclusive set.

It is a Black Parallel. I am not sure what it is numbered to.

Joe

• Options
    CenteredMantlesCenteredMantles Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

It should come as no surprise with my handle that I am a fan of Yankee sluggers with cartoonish homerun power lol. I haven't posted in a while since completing my Mantle run but this Judge kid has really gotten me back into following the game daily. Even worse, he has awoken my degenerate ripper dark side that has long been suppressed.

Last night I sat down and tore through a case of 2017 Archives. What a great product but that can be a thread of it's own. This is not a case break or product thread so why bring this up? Seeing that black 1/1 auto and having now broken roughly 15 boxes and speaking with fellow collectors who have done their fair of rips as well, I have a serious appreciation for that particular card and what it took to unearth it. Not only is the Bazooka Auto the case it, the 1/1 black is also a case hit. To have it fall as Judge is remarkable. A black auto? Just wow!

Now let's speak to the "lesser" Judge autos of this product, if there is such a thing lol. The average box is going to have some tragic FFAs, no offense Mr. Tim Teufel or Mr. Manny Mota. In 15+ boxes a Judge did not surface. It's clear these are less common but turn to the colored borders (blue and red in particular). These are coming out of packs chipped and some with centering issues. All my red and blue FFAs have been 9s at best. The Rookie Stars? How about 2 BASE in an entire case and a half. An auto for $500 seems like a steal considering i didn't see a single Rookie Stars Auto of anyone in all these boxes. Color Rookie Stars? Forget it.

Last card of our boy Judge I'd like to mention is the lowly base. This card is a beast to pull centered. This is my dark horse of Judge cards. In 15+ boxes it looks like about 1 base in every other box with some serious centering issues.

Just some observations on these cards.

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 2:55PM

Matt, the archives have quickly become my favorite Judge designs. Every card of his in the set looks amazing. Also the base white FFA i believe has the greatest potential to increase in value. Guys are speculating there may be 200-250 blue heritage ink autos. Checking ebay sales the FFAs appear to be way more scarce...

Also picked up a 1960 retro blue border 1/75 Bgs 9.5 at a local show. That card is a beast to find not chipped all to hell.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2017 4:17AM

Greg— you are right; any of those Judges from Archives are tough, and the base RC centered is a sleeper card. Though perhaps not so much anymore, as the last couple of 10s on eBay caught some attention, and people have noticed the pop report on that card, in terms of how hard the Gem Mt grade is looking for it.

In terms of the Bazooka Black 1/1, I wouldn't even want to do the math on the odds of pulling it. Probably have to go through hundreds of cases to ensure getting it.

Mike— I agree, all his Archives cards look awesome; Topps did a bang-up job with the set and his cards in particular. Fantastic job grabbing the Rookie Star in both blue and red border. So hard to find sharp examples of the few printed. I have the blue and am looking for the red— and of course that black! On the FFA side, I've snatched up any blue borders I can find in Gem Mt state, yet the reds thus far have proved elusive.

In terms of print run, from most to least plentiful:

The FFA has the whites (speculated around 250) + 150 peach + 75 blue + 25 red + 1 gold.

The Rookie Star Auto has 150 white + 75 blue + 25 red + 1 black.

The Bazooka has 99 white + 25 red + 1 black.

The rare colored border variations of these are just incredibly tough to find in superb condition, on top of the low number printed in the first place. This of course holds for the non-auto versions as well as the autos. For example, not seeing many colored border versions of the base card for sale, let alone in great condition.

It sure makes the hunt for these cards fun and challenging. There are a couple big ones I have yet to locate, and may not even be pulled yet from packs somewhere in the country.

Between Heritage and Archives, it's enough to keep a collector engaged and excited for the whole season.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welllllllllllll.....I'd like to share the two cards I irrationally purchased....but will hold until he decides to start hitting the ball again. Ouch!! Meanwhile beautiful night at the cabin in Wisco sipping cold ones.

• Options

All hoping for a Judge auto

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Almost complete with the traditional Judge Rookie Card run— just the Superfractor left; pretty pumped.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/24/aaron-judge-is-exposing-the-huge-lie-espn-and-nike-sold-us/

Gold/5
    Blue/68
    Chrome/568
    Blue Border/50
    FlipStock/5
    Gray Back/10
    Yellow Back/25

Does anyone know where you can find a checklist for all of his base rookies?

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

Saw him hit #35 on Sunday in Cleveland...so glad my son and I were able to witness a Judge bomb during his rookie season!