Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Aaron Judge

Comments

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

The sad part is us people who live in Fresno had him here for 3 years and he was nowhere on the radar. Glad to see him doing well!

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

ALL RISE!!!!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@ThoseBackPages said:
    ALL RISE!!!!

That is the cool thing about seeing him at Yankee Stadium. When he comes up to bat the jumbotron shows a gavel and the words "ALL RISE".

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

@seebelow said:
    guy looks awesome, And I agree with a lot of the positive arguments in his favor....but a few things worry me....

1. He's actually only 25th overall in HR power (despite some unheard of bombs).
    2. Batting in a very hitting/HR friendly park.
    3. It's usually after their rookie year into the off-season when the pitchers and video staff "figure him out". And thats a large strike zone.
    4. Ebay has OBO prices at $30-$50,000 already. Ive read where you've thought that its maxed out only to see higher and higher prices.....but that means we'll see $60-$70k next?

Actually, Im a huge fan and its a fun ride watching him. Tho the Yankees PA announcer "All rise for the Judge" has gotten a little old. I hear he's a nice guy and seems like that he'll stay that way or at least adopt the Jeter manifesto.

I admit Id love a card but for once in my life Im gonna show restraint to bidding/buying a baseball card. As for modern, ill park it with Harper or Trout...for now. (or at least until tomorrow, ha)

Yeh, and being 25 already doesn't bode well for a long career. Bill James had a "formula" years ago regarding the "chance" a player has at making the HOF based upon how old he was as a rookie. I don't remember the exact number, but I believe at age 25, it was less than 40% chance. This is generally based upon the notion that a player of that age wont have enough "good years" to amass the numbers needed. Mike Piazza was 24/25 his first year, and there are a few others, but it is kind of rare. I think Judge ends up DH/1B in 5-6 years and has a solid 8-10 year career, but its hard to project 400+ HRs and 2,000 hits may be a stretch too.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

He may be 25 and not have a 20 year window like Arod or Griffey which will impact his overall HR numbers; however, being a Yankee and a star has proven to be a huge factor in card values and popularity. Mantle hit 536 HR's and has been eclipsed by dozens of players in the HR category, but they can't touch him when it comes to cards. Jeter has a lot of the same traits in regards to stats versus popularity.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2017 8:49AM

When we look at an exciting young rookie player, I think it's natural to some extent to muse about their counting stats and future HOF prospects-- but only up to a point. Let a kid play and enjoy the journey with the player you're rooting for. I'm sure we all have players we love and whose cards we love who didn't make the hall. It's never HOF or bust-- the players certainly don't put that kind of pressure on themselves and neither should we who root for them.

The players are literally taking it at bat to at bat. Pitch to pitch. Game to game. It's fun to embrace that same style as a fan. For example, I'm buying Judge and Sanchez cards and enjoying rooting for them AB to AB, and of course to have a great season and maybe a playoff run; not at all thinking of their HOF odds and how that will affect monetary value.

• Options

I have a 2013 Bowman Sterling autograph card of his but what I really want is the 2017 Topps Archives bazooka auto card. Looking at the completed listings on ebay I see that they are selling for pretty much the same price. Is it stupid of me for wanting to try to make a trade
    even up. I know that the 2013 card is technically the better auto to get but I like the bazooka one so much better.

• Options

I say go for the one you'll enjoy seeing everyday. Can't go wrong either way.

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

HOME RUN & A TRIPLE

ALLRISE!!!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@mtcards said:
    Ryan Howard did the same thing, although not with the Yankees. Spending big money on Judge rookies is a risk since his the cards are already expensive now.

What he said. He strikes out too much

• Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭

Bump,Triple Crown contender,HR Derby Coming Up and potential MVP.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is kind of fun.

Reminds of the old days in the early 90s when everyone was chasing RCs.

It got me to pick up some Bowman blasters - haven't ripped anything in some time.

I hope he stays around for 20 yrs.

Mike
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

are those the Bowman card machines i hear ramping up production?

kendallcat et al, congrats on getting in before the price hike....i def missed out. i just can't see much more upside dollar-wise left vs the amount of (shhh, I'm gonna say the word that must never be spoken on a card message board, so here's ur warning to stop reading) "downside" that could but, don't worry, will probably never happen. Like I said, there are $30-50,000 OBO offers on ebay already. So $70k is next by my math?

A lot of this is tongue in cheek. But congrats to those who got in early. Im just gonna sit back and enjoy the home run derby and the remaining 10-15 years of his career. He seems like a good, down to earth kid. So hope he stays that way in the Big Apple.

Im calling it...he's the first to hit a 500 foot HR.

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2017 10:39PM

I'm pretty much only collecting Judge, Sanchez, and Frazier these days. And having a blast.

Here's to Judge man putting up an historic rookie season and being the anchor of the Yanks for years to come:

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

The rookie stars look way cool

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    I'm pretty much only collecting Judge, Sanchez, and Frazier these days. And having a blast.

Here's to Judge man putting up an historic rookie season and being the anchor of the Yanks for years to come:

Those cards are incredible.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

Thanks so much. Haven't had this much fun collecting in a long time. Topps really did such a great job with their Heritage product; they include all these cool, rare variations to hunt down.

Just landed a second of the ten gray backs this morning before he tied Joe D's record!

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Thanks so much. Haven't had this much fun collecting in a long time. Topps really did such a great job with their Heritage product; they include all these cool, rare variations to hunt down.

Just landed a second of the ten gray backs this morning before he tied Joe D's record!

Another great card. I don't collect modern post 1994, but the more I look at your guys' Heritage collections the more I want to begin collecting it. I planned on jumping on board on the 1970 retro release FWIW. I think once Heritage starts into the early-mid 70's, it will be on fire more so than it already is. It's by far my favorite modern product and these cards this year are amazing.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any of you Judge fans worried about him participating in the HR contest.
    I'm sure worried about Moose being in it, he has set a personal HR record(24) before the
    All star break and I wish he would opt out and let Logan Morrison in it.

He's been consistent the entire first half, don't want to see anything like a dumb contest affect his swing.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Not worried here. In fact I think the derby is great for the game and stoking popularity.

As a side note, I've had the extreme pleasure of discussing this topic with some pretty good MLB players and their trainers, and they feel it's something perpetuated by the media— it's just their opinions, of course, but I personally put a ton more stock in what real players say over some sports "journalists," lol.

From what I have seen, the numbers seem to bear out the players' views, in that it doesn't seem to have a negative impact mechanically. So the guys should be good to go; will be fun to watch!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great modern pickups. Way to go.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

3 of the 10 gray backs down. 7 to go.

Just landed this /75 badboy— super tough and love that blue border color.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2017 7:19PM

Picked up another Judge Bowman Chrome auto with great subs. Price was much better than my first one and $200-300 cheaper than the one I missed out on an hour earlier. Old BGS slab with subs 10/9.5/9.5/9.5 and a 9 auto - not sure why on the auto but love the perfect centering.

• Options

That card looks mad crispy. Nice pickup.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got his 30th Friday night.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Kid is killing it.

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I'm taking my son to see Judge play in Cleveland next month...4 weeks away and it's already almost sold out!

• Options

Some serious suspense hoping to get this 1/10 on the Topps site— never been happier to see a charge go through LOL.

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Kid is killing it.

Right on, man. You better believe it. This is great for baseball. I am so happy for Aaron. To think, he broke Joe DiMaggio's 81-year old rookie home run record in just 82 games, right before the All-Star break. It took Mr. Judge 293 at-bats to do it. Flat out amazing. No doubt he's been tested for you know what, at the insistence of all his doubters.

Who knows what's in store the rest of the season. I recall McGwire managed 16 after his unbelievable first half of 1987. Really, no matter what happens, it's one for the books already.

I haven't bought a modern card this millennium, but when Aaron tied Joe, I couldn't help myself, and won one on eBay after work last evening. Then today I found out he broke Joe's record.

Time to shush. I just wish him the best.

----Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭

We are a household of Judge fanatics. While always casual fans, no doubt that he stoked my wife and small children into baseball to the point where my daughter wants to DVR games. It necessitated me having to pick some modern unopened to rip with the kids so I am trying to buy up Archives and Heritage. I'm sure that I'm buying at the top of the market, but the rips with the kids are priceless. I have purchased exactly zero unopened product issued during the years 1991 and 2016. Thanks Mr Judge, can't wait to watch you for many years to come. Will definitely be hitting games at the stadium this summer.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

@seebelow said:
    guy looks awesome, And I agree with a lot of the positive arguments in his favor....but a few things worry me....

1. He's actually only 25th overall in HR power (despite some unheard of bombs).
    2. Batting in a very hitting/HR friendly park.
    3. It's usually after their rookie year into the off-season when the pitchers and video staff "figure him out". And thats a large strike zone.
    4. Ebay has OBO prices at $30-$50,000 already. Ive read where you've thought that its maxed out only to see higher and higher prices.....but that means we'll see $60-$70k next?

Actually, Im a huge fan and its a fun ride watching him. Tho the Yankees PA announcer "All rise for the Judge" has gotten a little old. I hear he's a nice guy and seems like that he'll stay that way or at least adopt the Jeter manifesto.

I admit Id love a card but for once in my life Im gonna show restraint to bidding/buying a baseball card. As for modern, ill park it with Harper or Trout...for now. (or at least until tomorrow, ha)

PED use worries me.
    His whole baseball career he hit 1 homer per 20-25 at bats and now all of a sudden he is hitting 1 every 10 at bats in the highest level of baseball. He also bulked up the last two years from 230 lbs to current 282.
    I hope he is clean because he is good for baseball along with all the other great young players.

I have a few of his rookie cards but not many. I almost bought the Topps now card /99 today but it was too much money.
    Topps is kicking up the prices.

I wish him well. Maybe Yankees can sign Bryce Harper in 2019 What a 3-4 they would make.

Joe

• Options
    edited July 9, 2017 2:13PM

"PED use worries me.
    His whole baseball career he hit 1 homer per 20-25 at bats and now all of a sudden he is hitting 1 every 10 at bats in the highest level of baseball."

Check out his early scouting reports; this is someone who was projected to hit for power. One could even just read the back of his 2013 Bowman Draft card. His power is not coming out of nowhere. This was a relatively high draft pick in the MLB draft, after all. MLB history contains numerous examples of much lower draft picks who made adjustments and blossomed at the highest level, from Don Mattingly to Mike Piazza to Albert Pujols.

There's also this article, which should dispel any misinformation regarding the power displayed by Judge in his earlier baseball career:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/drawing-college-hr-derby-judge-chance-win-mlb-title-article-1.3313278

"He also bulked up the last two years from 230 lbs to current 282."

One should expect any man, let alone a professional athlete of enormous stature, to add lean mass during their 20s. With the elite training and nutrition regimens available to him from a billion dollar organization, yes, we should expect Judge to add lean mass.

I have ZERO concern over PEDs and this young man. And one can be certain the MLB testing policy is doing its part as well.

Bottom line, increased weight and improved performance— especially at such a young age, for someone with physical talent and great mental makeup— cannot be the litmus test for PED suspicion.

• Options

Not worried about him and PED usage. Kid was projected in college to have big time power and had it early in the minors. Just a massive kid who due to his size and leverage hits it 20-40 feet further than normal. Makes a 380 foot out normally to center a 420-430 foot bomb.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just dug out these TOPPS NOW cards that I bought last year for his first major league card:

I saw they were creeping up in price on eBay (around $40-45) and I was hoping I bought some last year.
    Turns out I bought forty of them!
    Anybody collect these?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

This article and accompanying interview are just awesome. Kind of wild that mainstream global media is shouting out specific Judge cards. Yet his likable nature engenders collecting him through thick and thin.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19949635/the-marketing-aaron-judge

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    This article and accompanying interview are just awesome. Kind of wild that mainstream global media is shouting out specific Judge cards. Yet his likable nature engenders collecting him through thick and thin.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19949635/the-marketing-aaron-judge

Great article.
    I went to a card show yesterday (in Redsox market) and He is THE talk of the town.
    Modern box prices are crazy. Double what they came out at.

Joe

• Options

Having fun with modern stuff. Have grabbed a pair of 2013 BGS 9.5 Bowman Chrome auto cards with all subs 9.5 or higher, some unopened 2013 boxes of Bowman Chrome(ripping those at the hotel in Chicago with Jr at the National each night, and several Heritage rookies - ref, purple refractors, gold refractors..

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

what a great ride...enjoy y'all....i didnt buy heritage cause of the look...ugh

will actually be tuning in for the HR derby...planning on it

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2017 3:08PM

I think he is playing great and seems to have a good future. Unfortunately it does sound like a perfect time to sell. I've got two 2013 Bowman DP jumbo hobby boxes I will be parting with for current prices (over $700 per). I had planned to open one but prices for these boxes have shot through the roof.

Robb

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great time to sell judge over the next few days. I stopped at Walmart tonight and decided to check out the card section to see what was there, and the whole section was empty except a few Topps base packs. Same thing happened to me at a target a week ago. They can't seem to keep the stuff on their shelves. People are buying looking for judge.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@fergie23 said:
    Unfortunately it does sound like a perfect time to sell.

Robb

Sell them right here; I'll cash you out nicely.

The show Judge put on tonight... Wow. 513 feet. Roof shot. Effortless oppo bombs.

Kid's on his own level, in terms of both power and star quality.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

An epic derby that will be remembered for a very long time. Judge's opposite field power is amazing, flicking those balls over the right field wall. Tailor made for Yankee Stadium. I'm just glad my Brewers got out of there without him 'going off'. I like this kid and hope he has success. Let's hope this derby doesn't have a Bobby Abreu type effect on him. Beast.

• Options

Can't say it better than how ESPN's Crasnick opened up his latest article, post HR derby:

"He is who we thought he was."

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

The Jury is back. Judge is the Executioner.

What a show!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

I have not got this excited about a player since I was a kid watching Reggie Jackson. I bought some of his autos but not enough.

• Options

• Options

@DM23HOF you were able to get them? i tried the topps site for over 10min, couldn't even get their home page- by the time i was able to get on the site, all the good ones were sold out...lucky if you got all those

Back in the hobby after hibernating for many years... Collector from the overproduced years of 1986+
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@pjb103183 said:

I picked up this one that is #'d to 75...I love the 1960 design!

You know what's interesting about Mr. Judge -- he has a toothy smile not unlike Mantle's, really. I wish him well!

I'm somewhat subdued over the Cubs' dealing with an average season this year, but 2016 should last me a good 100+ more seasons anyhoo. :smiley:

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Not worried about him and PED usage. Kid was projected in college to have big time power and had it early in the minors. Just a massive kid who due to his size and leverage hits it 20-40 feet further than normal. Makes a 380 foot out normally to center a 420-430 foot bomb.

At 6'7 (I didn't realize how tall he was) he's Frank Howard-esque at the plate, so, just a big dude. :smile:

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Almost a mirror image

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.