Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Aaron Judge

I usually am the person who does not believe the hype and waits until a card or player has cooled down until I buy their cards. (The only exception was that I gave in and bought a 1985 Topps Mark McGuire when he was in the middle of the HR chase.) I have actually sold my hot cards when they were hot and then waited a few months and bought them again for 1/4 of the price. Maybe it is because I live in CT and our cable provider is Comcast who got rid of the YES (Yankee network) channel so I only watched 2 or 3 baseball games last year but who returned it to us this year and now I am all in on baseball games this year. I love watching this guy play baseball. My wife says that she can see cartoon hearts floating up around me whenever he hits a monster HR. I have bought into his hype and purchased a few of his rookie autograph cards and doubles on all of his other cards. I know that I could wait a few months (Maybe, but hopefully not) and pick them up after he cools a bit but I just can't do that right now. Is anyone else following this path with Judge or any other hot rookie so far this year?

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

None this year. Holding a few Benintendi's though, just to see how he turns out. Prospecting young phenoms is tough!

The Good: In 2011/2012, everyone was on the Bryce Harper bandwagon. I just didn't care for the guy and instead set my sights on Mike Trout and bought into him heavy (by my standards). That's paid off ten fold

The Bad: A decade prior, I was a Cubs fan who had lived in the St. Louis metro the majority of my adult life. I absolutely did not believe Albert Pujols could stay as hot as he was. 2001/2002, I bought in big time on Mark Prior instead.

Win some, lose some!!!

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with you. Love his love for the game.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

he's an interesting case. Judge is old, but Kris Bryant has taught me that sometimes old isnt so bad

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2017 2:30PM

Sweet Judge card! Funny thing is when I opened Heritage he was the only person I hit - regular rookie, purple refractor, and a gold refractor.

Rookies are definitely a hit or miss. I grabbed several Bryant rookies and sold them and did well and kept one. Moved Correa early after he rose. Trout IMO is where to invest, and typically Bowman Chrome is the top brand. Ironically enough I was about to list some this weekend to move and thin out some "shiny"rookies. :D

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2017 3:24AM
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2017 5:35AM

He reminds me of what McGwire was doing in 87 when he hit 49 his rookie year. Only Judge card I have is the action Variation from Heritage which I pulled from a box recently. Glad to have it though. I have hit 2 Benintendi Real One autos out of Heritage. Subbed my 1st one got a 10 and sold it. Will sub my other and probably hold for now

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I assume the 2013 Bowman Chrome auto card is Judge's best card?

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

It look like last years "Aaron Judge" Gary Sanchez is turning into Kevin Maas.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:
    I usually am the person who does not believe the hype and waits until a card or player has cooled down until I buy their cards. (The only exception was that I gave in and bought a 1985 Topps Mark McGuire when he was in the middle of the HR chase.)

McGwire was hot 10 years prior to the Maris chase when he hit 49 HRs as a skinny redheaded RC. :)

I like Judge. Go for it! If he turns into a superstar, his cards will have an extra premium since he is a Yankee.

• Options
    NYYanksFan7NYYanksFan7 Posts: 52 ✭✭

He raked in spring training, then had 20 AB before going on the DL. First re-hab game went 2-4 with a HR. That said, how is he "turning into Kevin Maas" ?

@49ersGuy said:
    It look like last years "Aaron Judge" Gary Sanchez is turning into Kevin Maas.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I used to have to watch every Reggie Jackson at bat when he was a Yankee and watching Judge is bringing me back to when I was younger and having to watch every at bat. 6ft 7 in, 278 lbs. you know that no one is going to throw at him to prove a point.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Judge is still killing it.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Which is Judge's true RC, auto and non auto?

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

@Arsenal83 said:
    Which is Judge's true RC, auto and non auto?

2017 releases

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

his Heritage SP has to be one of his best RCs to have.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I was at that game today, he's a beast hits to all fields with power

I was behind the plate when he hit it over the bleachers 495 feet, what a powerful swing, something to see.

I hate the Yankees but may have to look into getting one of his rookies now

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    edited June 11, 2017 7:36PM

I caved in today and bought the BGS 10 Heritage Auto and the Archives Light Blue Auto and the 1987-style auto.

The kid is just too much fun to watch and the kids LOVE him.

Between his numbers, his tape measure shots, his likable demeanor, and the NY stage, I can see his demand for his cards going nuts.

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I picked up this one that is #'d to 75...I love the 1960 design!

• Options

Love that 1960 style; gotta grab that one.

• Options

Opened 7-8 boxes of Heritage a couple of months ago when it launched and not a single auto card - all clubhouse collections. Kept pulling the same guy for some reason - regular, purple chrome, and gold chrome numbered to 568....

• Options

Put me down as being leery with rookies/prospects too. He could be great, or end up being the next guy that could have been great. I think his build/body size turns out being more detrimental than helpful in the end. Few guys that size are successful long term. He'll be DH by the time he is 30. I'm going to hold on to the few that I have pulled from 2017 boxes just in case, though.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Put me down as being leery with rookies/prospects too. He could be great, or end up being the next >guy that could have been great. I think his build/body size turns out being more detrimental than >helpful in the end. Few guys that size are successful long term.

Players of all sizes fizzle out in MLB. If he does, it may have nothing to do with his size.

There's not nearly a big enough sample size to say that very large players can't have a great career. Frank Howard had a very good career at 6-7, 255.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I see him moving to 1st base some day. Can't throw over his head. I was at the game he hit a grand slam at last month. He is really old school. He backs up first base on every throw to first base. You rarely see that. He plays catch with kids in the stands between innings and gives them then ball at the end. Not afraid of running into walls, the walls are afraid of him. The stadium gets electric every time he bats.

He currently leads in HR's, RBI's, and Avg as well as runs scored.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Ryan Howard did the same thing, although not with the Yankees. Spending big money on Judge rookies is a risk since his the cards are already expensive now.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

Is it me, or does he have a face made to wear that NYY cap? This isn't a sleight of any kind, just saying that kid LOOKS like a Yankee.

I'm a Northwest guy, but it would be nice to see a likeable face (read: personality) on one of the major market teams

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like a nice guy too. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, though. His minor league numbers were good if I remember right but not a predictor of what he's done so far.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I started a thread about this awhile ago for kinda the same thing, knowing when to buy and sell on prospects.

Aaron Judge 2013 Bowman Chrome Base Non Auto (Raw); 3/14/17: Sold for $0.99. On 6/12/17: Sold for S50.00

Aaron Judge 2013 Bowman Chrome Base Autograph (BGS 9.5); 3/30/17: Sold for $102.72. On 6/3/17 Sold for $629.95

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@totallyradd said:
    I started a thread about this awhile ago for kinda the same thing, knowing when to buy and sell on prospects.

Aaron Judge 2013 Bowman Chrome Base Non Auto (Raw); 3/14/17: Sold for $0.99. On 6/12/17: Sold for S50.00

Aaron Judge 2013 Bowman Chrome Base Autograph (BGS 9.5); 3/30/17: Sold for $102.72. On 6/3/17 Sold for $629.95

I purchased my cheapest 2013 Bowman Chrome Auto BGS 9.5 with 10 Centering for $112. I sold them all before this last peak, but got out of them all. The ride is fun, but it was time to step off.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

I got the fever... Modern can def be fun to dip in, when the PreWar and Vintage pickings are slim...

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlbfan2 said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    Put me down as being leery with rookies/prospects too. He could be great, or end up being the next >guy that could have been great. I think his build/body size turns out being more detrimental than >helpful in the end. Few guys that size are successful long term.

Players of all sizes fizzle out in MLB. If he does, it may have nothing to do with his size.

There's not nearly a big enough sample size to say that very large players can't have a great career. Frank Howard had a very good career at 6-7, 255.

Can't forget about "Boog" Powell.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Nice to see the shiney cards discussed and shown here.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Dude hits a go ahead HR while I was grabbing these...

• Options

Dare it be said he has a Mantle look to him. Check out the MM Dan Dee card. A slight resemblance. He also has, and it helps marketing him, a somewhat "Hollywood" type name fans can latch onto. The phrase: "Here comes the Judge",All rise (for the Judge), and people in the crowd wearing judge wigs. The marketing machine is his friend and will be working to milk every $$$ out of him while he is a hot commodity.

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Guy is crushing the ball. Are those Heritage blue autos numbered? Thanks

• Options

Wow, I just looked again, and prices have gone crazy. I pulled his 2017 Topps Archives TB(tall boy) and I can't even find one offered or even a google image of it. Anyone seen one of those? I'd scan it if it was with me.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2017 8:13AM

Might be worth buying a case of Heritage at this stage of the game.

Do you think this will have any effect on the price if Jeter's cards?

• Options

@sinoth23 said:
    Guy is crushing the ball. Are those Heritage blue autos numbered? Thanks

I don't know how many blues there are; hopefully a Heritage expert will weigh in on that for us both.

• Options

Just as he started to get hot I was looking to pick up a 2017 Topps auto, either Heritage or the retro 1987 topps design version. I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the Heritage blue auto at $60 BIN because I thought that was too much. I eventually hit the BIN for the 87 topps version @ $50, which I also thought was an overpay because they were going for ~ $35 or less at the time. o_O It seems the heritage versions sells for a lot more but they are everywhere and I don't really see many sales on the 87 retro. Any idea which one is rarer?

• Options

The 87 Topps Refractor auto is numbered and there are 199. I do not believe either of the Topps Heritage 1968 design autograph cards are numbered, and I don't think the regular 1987 design card(non-refractor) is numbered.

• Options

Why doesn't his Heritage auto card have a "Certified Autograph" stamp on it? I could see that being an issue down the road.

• Options

@dtkk49a said:
    Why doesn't his Heritage auto card have a "Certified Autograph" stamp on it? I could see that being an issue down the road.

It does, it is right below his name and it is right below the blue stripe on the Rookie Star one.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Love Judge and think he's great for baseball. That said, the hype is getting unreal. I might consider selling if I had something, People are going crazy for Judge stuff....if he has one off month we could see it fall off.

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2017 8:33AM

Was at the game last night with family and the excitement around the team and especially Judge was so much fun to be a part of— felt like Yankee Stadium, actually.

Everyone stands for Judge's AB's, he gives balls to little kids, backs up every play at first, does it all the right way. So I very much doubt a cold spell (which all hitters encounter) will halt the love affair the fans and hobby are currently having with Judge.

I think the baseline with Judge is a .300/30HR homegrown rookie with star quality who can threaten to do that every year, and for a dynamic new Yankee team. His limited cards therefore can be in huge demand for the next decade, in effect becoming "the" cards that young fans today will consider "must haves" down the line.

As a PreWar and vintage collector it's easy to forget the fun in chasing cards of a current player you (and maybe even your kids) are watching and rooting for day in, day out. On that note, finally got a Red Ink Heritage Auto yesterday.

The 87 style auto is also a big sleeper, IMO. Seems pretty scarce relative to some others so grabbed another.

• Options

Matt - I agree on Judge. Certain factors contribute to popularity in cards and values. Hitters over pitchers, power over average, large market over small... Judge checks all the boxes. Massive power hitter, young, massive size, tape measure shots... on top of all of that he plays for the Yankees. Like you said he hustles, is great to kids at the ballpark, and is also hitting .340+. Lots of hype but his ceiling due to his size and power plus being a Yankee eclipses Bryant, Betts, Correa...

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy looks pretty awesome. I saw some highlights yesterday when I was on the stair master and he can crush the ball.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

guy looks awesome, And I agree with a lot of the positive arguments in his favor....but a few things worry me....

1. He's actually only 25th overall in HR power (despite some unheard of bombs).
    2. Batting in a very hitting/HR friendly park.
    3. It's usually after their rookie year into the off-season when the pitchers and video staff "figure him out". And thats a large strike zone.
    4. Ebay has OBO prices at $30-$50,000 already. Ive read where you've thought that its maxed out only to see higher and higher prices.....but that means we'll see $60-$70k next?

Actually, Im a huge fan and its a fun ride watching him. Tho the Yankees PA announcer "All rise for the Judge" has gotten a little old. I hear he's a nice guy and seems like that he'll stay that way or at least adopt the Jeter manifesto.

I admit Id love a card but for once in my life Im gonna show restraint to bidding/buying a baseball card. As for modern, ill park it with Harper or Trout...for now. (or at least until tomorrow, ha)

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

I got lucky and pulled several Heritage Judge rookies - funny thing is this was before he hit it big and I kept joking "pulled another one of this guy while wanting Bennitendi or other hit rookies. Shows you what I know. I finally took the plunge and grabbed a rookie the other day to sit back just in case.

• Options
    bigzesteebigzestee Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

In April I would find his 1st year Bowmans and Chromes in 6/$1.00 boxes and following Bowmans in dime or nickel boxes.Now I'm glad I couldn't get $.50 a piece for them in May.Just like the Jeremy Lin madness the NY market caused prices to soar.

BST references several