Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@callawayc7 said:
    ...Lots of cool stuff but not a good time for my coin budget now.

Sigh...same situation on this end of the keyboard.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the 1934 $20 Gold is currently available so I broke down and ordered one.

I also got the 1933 & 1934 Silver and Brass pcs and another 1918 Peace Dollar.

GrandAm :)
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too @GRANDAM
    How is your Brass one? My concern is whether they'll tarnish eventually need polishing?

@Paradisefound said:
    Me too @GRANDAM
    How is your Brass one? My concern is whether they'll tarnish eventually need polishing?

I just orderd them 30 minutes ago. Not here yet.

Can someone show me a close-up of the COA on the 1934 $20 Gold Saint-Gaudens?

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

-MCMVI Saint Gaudens $20 gold concept arrived
    -1934 $20 Saint overstrike in the queue

*it's only money o:)

• Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Can someone please help me? I placed an order on the May 13th at moonlight mint for 400.00 and I went in tonight to check the status and it says my order has been canceled? I didn’t get an email or a refund for the money

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have a phone number and email address......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

I emailed and called... I will try again in the morning....

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Me too @GRANDAM

You're pulling our combined legs again.

Aren't you?? hahaha

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018 7:40PM

@Mfriday4962 said:

Dan will call you after you leave a message or he will come here on the board. At least he always did for me after I left a message. He is probably working late pressing out coins for us! May 13 is only 3 days ago a bit early to get worried. I take it you paid by credit card they guarantee you. You can always re order then leave a message that you only want 1 order and not to double order your order if your worried your coin will sell out. I would not get worried Dan is always here on the boards and he is very honest man. Or at least I think he is cause I dont actually know him other than I buy from him and never once was I worried about my order. I think I can say everybody else here feels the same way. Your in good hands.

Thank you so much for helping me... from everything I have heard Dan is a very honest man... I’m less worried about the money and more concerned about the coins selling out... I will take your advice and place another order and see what happens from there.... Thank you very much for taking the time to explain things to me... I’m new to Collect The overstrikes and I now have a dozen in just a two weeks... very excited so you will see me around...

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with > @Gluggo said:

@Mfriday4962 said:

Dan will call you after you leave a message or he will come here on the board. At least he always did for me after I left a message. He is probably working late pressing out coins for us! May 13 is only 3 days ago a bit early to get worried. I take it you paid by credit card they guarantee you. You can always re order then leave a message that you only want 1 order and not to double order your order if your worried your coin will sell out. I would not get worried Dan is always here on the boards and he is very honest man. Or at least I think he is cause I dont actually know him other than I buy from him and never once was I worried about my order. I think I can say everybody else here feels the same way. Your in good hands.

I agree with @Gluggo: Dan always makes it right.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2018 11:27AM

Glad to hear you enjoy Dan's work. You may not like all of his designs, but some of his creations are absolutely stunning. You will not have any difficulty working with the Moonlight Mint. B)

Dan Fan

I just received 2nd 1934 and it has more "proof" like finish rather than the satin...
    By the way did you ever decide on the gold Winged Liberty or ever get one?

@coinsarefun said:
    One more question.....regarding the silver "1933" Saint-Gaudens Silver "NOT LEGAL TENDER"
    I see that they satin finish, are any of them coming proof like ?
    I just received mine today and they look different from each other.
    I thought perhaps it was the lighting but when I compare them in hand its an obvious difference.
    I also purchased a brass one too

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound I love the look of those and to have one of each is neat.
    It was a very difficult decision as to what gold one to purchase. Each one has its own qualities.
    I finally decided on the 1934 Saint overstruck. In a perfect world I would love to own each of the gold ouncers.
    But I think the most one that will bring me enjoyment is the 1934 overstruck

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2018 7:56PM

@Paradisefound said:
    I just received 2nd 1934 and it has more "proof" like finish rather than the satin...
    By the way did you ever decide on the gold Winged Liberty or ever get one?

@coinsarefun said:
    One more question.....regarding the silver "1933" Saint-Gaudens Silver "NOT LEGAL TENDER"
    I see that they satin finish, are any of them coming proof like ?
    I just received mine today and they look different from each other.
    I thought perhaps it was the lighting but when I compare them in hand its an obvious difference.
    I also purchased a brass one too

The difference between the two 1933 silver is how soon they are struck after the dies have been bead-blasted.

The dies are bead-blasted periodically during production, and those that are struck right after the dies were bead-blasted will have more of a matte finish. As the dies are used, especially when striking brass, they become more shiny. The progression does not require very many strikes.

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the response... I will be ordering lots more... I just wish I would have known about your work years again!

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Dan Carr is your 1918 Peace dollar production over ?

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one pretty fifty.

@1940coupe said:

No its still available on page 2.
    http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1-6-1-1-2.aspx

@Gluggo said:

@1940coupe said:

yes I know ! I asked is he finished making them ?

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the new copper cents and half cents, but I was a bit taken aback by the "new" price on the 1858 half cent! Guess I won't get one of those after all....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@1940coupe said:

@Gluggo said:

@1940coupe said:

yes I know ! I asked is he finished making them ?

I'm not sure yet, but it is getting close to the end. There may be one more small production run. I will need to get caught up on producing and shipping current orders first, and then I can see where I'm at.

@7Jaguars said:
    I like the new copper cents and half cents, but I was a bit taken aback by the "new" price on the 1858 half cent! Guess I won't get one of those after all....

The Braided Hair half cents are fairly expensive for suitable examples to over-strike. But what makes it more difficult is that I have to spend a lot of time acquiring them one at a time here and there.

The Classic Head half cents and large cents are also difficult and so they also cost more than others.

edited May 21, 2018 12:45PM

@dcarr said:

@7Jaguars said:

The Braided Hair half cents are fairly expensive for suitable examples to over-strike. But what makes it more difficult is that I have to spend a lot of time acquiring them one at a time here and there.

The Classic Head half cents and large cents are also difficult and so they also cost more than others.

Thank you for that I ended up getting one of them the most expensive one cause I liked the look. I keep looking at the other ones but held off for now. Who knows but for now got to keep working to pay for everything I have bought! I don't regret 1 cent of it. Your work speaks for itself! Glen

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    Newest Pickup. Since I love SCD's......how could I resist :)

That is a really cool design!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranshdow said:
    Check out the 2018 Owl.... Lady Liberty's got this 80's / Olivia Newton John frosted hair thing goin' on.. pretty hot!

It’s fantastic

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Good for you 66Tbird I bet you cant wait to hold them in your hands. I am waiting on a few coins myself but no gold one's.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree and am envious of that one! Very nice for you and congratulations to Dan!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

With the price of buying the host coin for the 1934 over strike I dont see how he could be making much money ?

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

The host coin has $1258 worth in gold at Friday's $1300 close

http://www.coinflation.com/gold_coin_values.html

@1940coupe said:
    With the price of buying the host coin for the 1934 over strike I dont see how he could be making much money ?

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

DC, what grade does the host coin have to be for the 1934 $20 overstrike?

@renman95 said:

Most Saint-Gaudens double eagles are EF or better, and most of those will work fine. But they can't have any significant edge dings or edge cuts.

@dcarr said:

@renman95 said:

Most Saint-Gaudens double eagles are EF or better, and most of those will work fine. But they can't have any significant edge dings or edge cuts.

which would cost more than melt price of gold

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

@renman95 said:

which would cost more than melt price of gold

APMEX was selling MS63 graded for about $50 over melt not long ago. Factor in bonus ebay bucks and I picked up a few for under spot :)

OK my bad

Good information thank you...

Thank you for passing them for our enjoyment on such reasonable premium <3

@dcarr said:

@renman95 said:

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan, last year you did some 2gram and 1/10 and 1/4 oz coins, any plans to do them this year. If I remember correctly I think I ordered owls and them at the same time. Love the silver owl, and getting ready to order.I was waiting for other coins to do,st once, but don’t want the silver owl to sell out?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file