Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1934's will be much more popular because they have the same design as the original coin, whereas the 1933 says, "NOT LEGAL TENDER". Big difference for overstrike collectors.

I love the overstrikes and look forward to the 1934, but I started thinking how cool it would be to have 13 of the 1933 gold-colored brass stacked up on my desk - even tho' they say "not legal tender" on the reverse. The quality speaks for itself.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    I like the idea of expanded collar details, struck on a genuine $20 & the dished reverse design with TWENTY DOLLARS.
    No counter stamps, a true Fantasy

@thefinn said:

@1940coupe said:
    what I was thinking seeing how there are only 13 1933 know to exist how cool would that be if only 13 1934 exist ! but I know Dan has to make his money to stay in business

The 1934's will be much more popular because they have the same design as the original coin, whereas the 1933 says, "NOT LEGAL TENDER". Big difference for overstrike collectors.

I got to see one last weekend in Boise. It has the color of an American Gold Eagle or Krugerrand, so it looked very brassy. I guess they needed to be wire brushed to remove any toning from the original coin. Still very nice looking, but the broad striking caused the outside to bulge, so it doesn't have a sharp rim. Still very nice.

thefinn
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@LindyS said:
    I like the idea of expanded collar details, struck on a genuine $20 & the dished reverse design with TWENTY DOLLARS.

@thefinn said:

@1940coupe said:
    what I was thinking seeing how there are only 13 1933 know to exist how cool would that be if only 13 1934 exist ! but I know Dan has to make his money to stay in business

I got to see one last weekend in Boise. It has the color of an American Gold Eagle or Krugerrand, so it looked very brassy. I guess they needed to be wire brushed to remove any toning from the original coin. Still very nice looking, but the broad striking caused the outside to bulge, so it doesn't have a sharp rim. Still very nice.

DC told me for another $20 overstrike that the burnishing process makes them look brassy.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@thefinn said:

@LindyS said:

@thefinn said:

@1940coupe said:

DC told me for another $20 overstrike that the burnishing process makes them look brassy.

I'm currently experimenting with other preparation methods to make the results look a little more yellow and a little less pinkish. The ones in Idaho are the more "pinkish" kind (I sold two of those at the recent Denver coin show to someone from Idaho).

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@thefinn said:

@LindyS said:

@thefinn said:

@1940coupe said:

I'm currently experimenting with other preparation methods to make the results look a little more yellow and a little less pinkish. The ones in Idaho are the more "pinkish" kind (I sold two of those at the recent Denver coin show to someone from Idaho).

When the U.S. Mint started minting gold coins, they couldn't figure out how the old-timers could make a coin that was 90% gold look like pure gold, when they couldn't get one that was 22kt look that way. They found out later, but couldn't change the process because then the coins would not be consistent from when they started in 1986. It isn't a difficult thing to do if they had asked a few chemists.

thefinn
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man,,,,,, nobody makes such COOL B)B)B)B)B) items as Dan does. :):):):):)

GrandAm :)
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m pretty much a fan of all of his work.
    A superstar in my book and a modern day artist 100%.
    I just purchased another piece from his arsenal of offers. The thing is thatcha gotta be fast. I’m glad I was fast enough. :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

How did I miss that 2013 seated stuff? Sweet!!

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

When ever I come to this thread I’m always amazed with the designs & quality of Dan’s work. For a one man band, Dan, you have really made an impression on the coin world.
    Very well done, I like your car too :)
    Carry on my coin brother

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

He gives new meaning to Steely Dan <3
    @crazyhounddog

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bull you amaze me I am going to try and post one you might just not have! Except I am at work but maybe I can do it here!

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else checking their email every hour to see if the Saint Gaudens have shipped yet????

Haven't receive mine as yet.....usually the last one to get them.

@jwitten said:
    Anyone else checking their email every hour to see if the Saint Gaudens have shipped yet????

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

I check it and his sight to see if he posted anymore mintage for it !

@jwitten said:

Yes, I am

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2018 4:07PM

With Dan already stating the max mintage on the Gold St Gaudens is 55 pcs let’s see how many we can account for here by Forum Members.

List how many you ordered in a bump and I will keep track and update the totals.

GrandAm - 1 pc

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    With Dan already stating the max mintage on the Gold St Gaudens is 55 pcs let’s see how many we can account for here by Forum Members.

List how many you ordered by quoting this thread then bumping it.

GrandAm - 1 pc

edited June 5, 2018 3:56PM

@1940coupe said:

@GRANDAM said:

List how many you ordered by quoting this thread then bumping it.

GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1

This might be easier, just post what you ordered and I will keep it updated.

Thanks, very curious to see how many are sold to us, I bet most of them.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭

Felinfoel - 1

@GRANDAM said:

List how many you ordered in a bump and I will keep track and update the totals.

GrandAm - 1 pc

+1

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2018 6:14PM

One 1934 $20 Fantasy order number 14152 on May 15th at 6:34AM Colorado Time.

I am hoping it looks like gold, not brass I read about earlier.

edited June 5, 2018 6:28PM

Total pcs purchased by PCGS Forum Members of Dan Carr's 1934 Gold Saint Gaudens Overstrike.

GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc

One here as well. Puts us at 6 so far.
    jwitten-1
    GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc

• Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I ordered 2 pcs Gold 1934 Saint-Gaudens...

Total pcs purchased by PCGS Forum Members of Dan Carr's 1934 Gold Saint Gaudens Overstrike.

GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc
    jwitten-1 PC
    Mfriday4962 - 2 pcs

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered 2, 1 for me, 1 for a collector friend.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in for one

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited June 5, 2018 7:12PM

GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc
    jwitten-1 PC
    Mfriday4962 - 2 pcs
    Lakesammman - 2 pcs
    Justacommeman - 1 pc

We are up to 11 pcs,,,,,,,,,

@Lakesammman said:
    Ordered 2, 1 for me, 1 for a collector friend.

That was too nice of you! You didn't have to, but I will gladly take it!

GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc
    jwitten-1 PC
    Mfriday4962 - 2 pcs
    Lakesammman - 2 pcs
    Justacommeman - 1 pc
    coinsarefun - 1

We are up to 12 pcs,,,,,,,,,

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I did one 34

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me on the list at 1.

edited June 6, 2018 5:07AM

GrandAm - 1 pc
    1940coupe - 1pc
    Felinfoel - 1 pc
    Paradisefound - 1 pc
    LindyS - 1 pc
    jwitten-1 PC
    Mfriday4962 - 2 pcs
    Lakesammman - 2 pcs
    Justacommeman - 1 pc
    coinsarefun - 1
    66Tbird - 1
    Bullsitter - 1