Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

@renman95 said:
    Q: When you send into ANACS, do you pay for 'conservation'?

I would like to hear comments on this

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, not me.

Dan Fan
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

The question was Q: When you send into ANACS, do you pay for 'conservation'? but thinks for your effort Bigpoppas

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:
    At least ICG will grade overstrikes at 70. Perhaps if more people move over, ANACS will do the same?

Yeah but ICG 70's sell for the price of ANACS 69's, or even less!

They probably need their own custom Moonlight Mint and Clark Gruber inserts to compete. Now that Dan doesn't hand sign inserts, perhaps they can have signed inserts as well.

I doubt there is anything they can do to take significant market share away from ANACS or to improve their view amongst aftermarket buyers of Carr items. I certainly wouldn't buy spec stock in them if they tried something.

They are offering 70s which is a big difference. The fact that ANACS doesn't issue 70s for overstrikes doesn't seem to be well known. The more this becomes known, this may be a selling point for ICG. They just need to get everything else to par like the inserts.

I'm okay with Carr items offered by both ANACS and ICG. More competition is a good thing. Of course, PCGS would be great.

AFAIK, ICG may be a little more conservative than ANACS on Carr items as they look for flaws using a stereomicroscope.

@renman95 asks: " When you send into ANACS, do you pay for 'conservation'?"

AFAIK, ICG is the only TPGS that conserves coins for free. That may change. The fellow who does the work was an original founder of NCS. He told me that the first conservation was done in the mop closet. Then, a top-notch lab was created when the company moved.

@1940coupe asked: "...But wouldn't any signs of host coin make it ineligible for MS-70 ? and I dont think that is possible is it?"

For some folks, MS-70 is an "as made condition." Before grading services, true Technical grading described the condition of preservation the coin in hand compared to the way it left the press. In that system, a fully lustrous, FLATLY STRUCK coin with no spots, hairlines, or marks of any kind (including the tiny struck-thrus allowed on SE today) could be graded MS-70. The fact that a coin is overstruck has no bearing on its condition UNLESS some debris was on the original coin used as a planchet.

Now, forget what you just read as "Commercial" grading is very different and I don't wish to confuse anyone more than you possibly are now. o:)

Die Pair 2
    $140
    (sold out)
    First produced mid-2010.
    Thick (frosted) “DC” mint mark. DC engraved on die prior to heat-treating & polishing.
    One with shifted double-strike was sold on eBay in July, 2011. anybody on forum own this off center double strike would like to see picture

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 1:26PM

@Insider2 said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:
    At least ICG will grade overstrikes at 70. Perhaps if more people move over, ANACS will do the same?

Yeah but ICG 70's sell for the price of ANACS 69's, or even less!

They probably need their own custom Moonlight Mint and Clark Gruber inserts to compete. Now that Dan doesn't hand sign inserts, perhaps they can have signed inserts as well.

I doubt there is anything they can do to take significant market share away from ANACS or to improve their view amongst aftermarket buyers of Carr items. I certainly wouldn't buy spec stock in them if they tried something.

They are offering 70s which is a big difference. The fact that ANACS doesn't issue 70s for overstrikes doesn't seem to be well known. The more this becomes known, this may be a selling point for ICG. They just need to get everything else to par like the inserts.

I'm okay with Carr items offered by both ANACS and ICG. More competition is a good thing. Of course, PCGS would be great.

AFAIK, ICG may be a little more conservative than ANACS on Carr items as they look for flaws using a stereomicroscope.

That's good to know. I'm not sure that works for 70 overstrikes since ANACS categorically doesn't assign 70 grades, but being more conservative is generally a good thing.

edited December 4, 2017 1:30PM

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:
    I closed a couple DC items off fleabay in the last month.

I'm waiting for this goodie to ship:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DANIEL-CARR-2015-PEACE-DOLLAR-OVER-STRIKE-MORGAN-1889-DENVER-COIN-CLUB/292347024356?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The dual iconic profiles sold me on it.

It just looks like coin art to me.

Well that & maybe being on a 1890CC $ donor coin is pretty uncommon.
    Could be my best donor overstrike ?

I hope the donor is real and not just a common Chinese crap metal counterfeit coin.

Either way, it still looks cool to me.

Lindy

@COCollector said:

@HalfStrike said:
    The store is almost empty, holiday shoppers? When will there be more coins?

In time for xmas, I think our best bet is ebay.

But who knows? Though I suspect it's unlikely, maybe Dan will have a last-minute surprise.

The "crap metal" Chinese pieces will likely crack or split open when over-struck.
    As I remember, a Denver coin club member brought that 1890-CC Morgan to the striking event.
    It had some problem (cleaning and/or damage). But it was a genuine coin.

Great looking piece and history. I love the dual profiles on that as well! Whenever I see "DCC" on that I think "Dan Carr Club" even though I know it's Denver Coin Club ;)

I've been thinking it would be great to make a list of all known overstrikes of underlying coins for club medals and the Moonlight Mint open house medals.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 8:21PM

I've got about 35 of these club medals or MMOH medals.
    This 1890CC $ is by far the most interesting donor coin,
    or donor medal overstrike in my DC Collection:

DCC

;^)

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

@renman95 said:
    Q: When you send into ANACS, do you pay for 'conservation'?

I would like to hear comments on this

Yes, I always do. It's $29 per order form page (or just over $1/coin). I figure it can't hurt.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    This thread needed a bump...

Just recently received the 2017 Glendale Coin Club overstrike medals from Dan. No new reverse design for our club this year, so we had our obverse die overstruck on 2017 copper Zombucks and 2017 Silver Eagles as a way to get a 2017-dated piece for our club.

Well those sure are differnt. Way to turn lemons into lemonade Mike :+1:

The more you VAM..

@1940coupe said:
    The question was Q: When you send into ANACS, do you pay for 'conservation'? but thinks for your effort Bigpoppas

You are very welcome Coupe ;)

I thought I did answer the question by showing the specific part of the form that offers the submitter 20 coins max to be conserved for $29 Total . They can also check the other box which states that you will pass on any conservation .

I always try my best to be helpful

@illini420 said:
    This thread needed a bump...

Just recently received the 2017 Glendale Coin Club overstrike medals from Dan. No new reverse design for our club this year, so we had our obverse die overstruck on 2017 copper Zombucks and 2017 Silver Eagles as a way to get a 2017-dated piece for our club.

:+1:

How much is the club selling pairs of them including shipping ?? I assume you would rather sell them here than on Feebay ;)

If you don’t want to comment publicly then please send me a PM .

Honestly not my favorite by far after some of your outstanding past issues, however I agree with CC that you definitely turned lemons into lemonade .

New stuff listed http://www.dc-coin.com/

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017 3:36AM

What is the fascination with quarters? Are these limited to a certain type coin collector. Just wondering cause I do have some but they were included in the Silver dollar set I purchased. Other than that I use them in a beverage dispenser.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Noticed product page was clear yesterday on Dan's site, and was wondering if something new would appear before Christmas- nice! Picked up the '75-D, and S.

You beat me to notifying 1940coupe- Dan's is first site I check in morning.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I'll pass on these. There's just nothing very exciting to me about a modern looking quarter.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got one pair. 1999 S clad and silver. Funds are, as expected, low from season spending.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

someone's getting a new car for Christmas!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017 11:47AM

First time I’ve passed on new issue coins in a very long time. The quarters didn’t strike me at all.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I'm a fan of his overstrikes but the 1975 quarter in particular just doesn't look as good as his earlier '75s.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Please compare to his 1933 or 1975 overstrikes on copper-nickel or silver. These were very nice bits, what happened with the latest Danny?

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Washington Quarter fan, but I can only imagine what other new and interesting creations will be available in 2018 !

Dan Fan
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017 12:45PM

@7Jaguars said:
    Please compare to his 1933 or 1975 overstrikes on copper-nickel or silver. These were very nice bits, what happened with the latest Danny?

The "1975-D" and "1975-S" over-strikes don't photograph very well. They do look better in-hand, but not as good as the "1999-S" and "2010-S". The "1999-S" (copper-nickel clad) is my favorite of the Washington over-strikes because it looks so much like any ordinary Washington quarter in your pocket, but of course there were no regular Washington quarters produced that year because that is the first year of the statehood series.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be fun to carry one around as a pocket piece but I'd be afraid I would accidently spend it.

peacockcoins

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I'm in for the silver items, order placed.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
    edited December 16, 2017 2:54PM

@dcarr Glad to see the new pieces. It's great to have more quarters. The 1999-S goes well with the statehood quarter set and the 1975-S goes well with the bi-centennial set. It would be great to see an extended bi-centennial set with your pieces and another with yours combined with Mint issues.

Have you thought about making a 1932 quarter using Laura Garden Fraser's design below? I think it would be cool because the design was selected by the Commission of Fine Arts.

edited December 16, 2017 6:43PM

I will probably end up buy a few of the silver quarters just to support his art work. But I though it interesting that I found some older 1975 quarters on Ebay looks like an earlier production from Dan Carr but not quite the same. Not sure what year these were made.

The seller is on ebay named centsles and is asking $180.00 each. I would much rather buy the latest at the asking price and if I wanted can always send in to ANACS. They do a good job there I think they look sharp when they come back graded and slabbed.

@Gluggo said:
    I will probably end up buy a few of the silver quarters just to support his art work. But I though it interesting that I found some older 1975 quarters on Ebay looks like an earlier production from Dan Carr but not quite the same. Not sure what year these were made.

The seller is on ebay named centsles and is asking $180.00 each. I would much rather buy the latest at the asking price and if I wanted can always send in to ANACS. They do a good job there I think they look sharp when they come back graded and slabbed.

Well that is a new one to me. I've never seen one of my items in an NNC slab before.

PS:
    The latest "1975" Washington over-strikes have a "D" or "S" mint mark, unlike the previous issue from a few years ago that had no mint mark. Also, the shape of the "5" in the date is different on these new ones.
    I need to record the latest mintage numbers, but here is the production blog for all the over-strike Washingtons:
    moonlightmint.com/blog_11.htm
    Note that the original batch ("1933" and "1975" without mint mark) was produced about 4 years ago.

edited December 17, 2017 11:03AM

Here is one of your latest back from ANACS. I got 2 certificates to send in 8 coins of my choice for FREE grading to ANACS from my friend from HSN! Don't laugh now about my buddy Mike! Yes he got me on a few items but look got these done for free! Thats worth a million right there.

But I sort of like how the lighting reflects the blue streaks. I think ANACS does a great job.

Here is the link for the Ebay sale.

At least they appreciated in value or the seller thinks so. I am sure there worth it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-WASHINGTON-25-CENTS-REGULAR-REVERSE-FANTASY-COINAGE-NEAR-PERFECT/381754607545?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=49564&meid=19585f9f8167402886bb34de139d81fb&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=3&sd=311688052669&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

@Gluggo said:
    Here is one of your latest back from ANACS. I got this free compliments of my friend from HSN! Don't laugh now about my buddy Mike!

But I sort of like how the lighting reflects the blue streaks. I think ANACS does a great job.

Here is the link for the Ebay sale.

At least they appreciated in value or the seller thinks so. I am sure there worth it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-WASHINGTON-25-CENTS-REGULAR-REVERSE-FANTASY-COINAGE-NEAR-PERFECT/381754607545?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=49564&meid=19585f9f8167402886bb34de139d81fb&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=3&sd=311688052669&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

You got that from Mike Mezack ?
    I was actually on that show a couple times back in 2006.
    I've not had any contact with him since, however.

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Have you thought about making a 1932 quarter using Laura Garden Fraser's design below? I think it would be cool because the design was selected by the Commission of Fine Arts.

I would love to see the US Mint bring this coin back as the new circulation quarter, as opposed to continuing to mind the hideous, cartoon-like pieces they’ve been pumping out. It would certainly be righting an original wrong.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    edited December 17, 2017 11:05AM

Dcarr no I did not get that on HSN but did buy some coins that got me 8 free ANACS grading form. That is what I was referring too sorry for not being more clear. I will correct.

Interesting you were on his show back in 2006 got a link? haha

@Gluggo said:
    Dcarr no I did not get that on HSN but did buy some coins that got me 8 free ANACS grading form. That is what I was referring too sorry for not being more clear. I will correct.

Interesting you were on his show back in 2006 got a link? haha

I have no video record of it - not sure I'd want to see it again :*
    At the time, the President Dollars were about to start coming out. They were doing a good business selling statehood quarter sets, and they wanted to start selling President Dollar subscriptions. They wanted me on the show because I was a designer of two of the state quarters (NY, RI). They also commissioned be to make a set of four "Presidential Preview Medallions" so that they could start offering something before anybody else and before the US Mint coins came out:
    designscomputed.com/coins/pres_2007.html

Wonderful background, history, and story, thank you for sharing!

I would like to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all fellow DC collectors!

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received my 1975 "S," and "D" fantasy in the mail. I'll be on the look out for a Philly. What I liked about the "S" I received is the faint ghosting from host coin. Almost looks like a doubled profile...

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised Dan hasn't done a bitcoin. ;-)

HNY Carristas!

I'm still wishing (post-Christmas) for the 1959 Wheatie - I'll be happy with an "S" minted version......

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible Bullsitter!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2018 9:06AM

@Justacommeman said:
    Incredible Bullsitter!

mark

Thank you Mark, that one gives me 9 different so far.

@CascadeChris said:
    Going on a month or two. Me likes how it's coming along :blush:

Chris, that looks awesome, the blue is very nice..................... Quit giving me ideas.... ;)

• drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭

Chris - what conditions are you keeping this coin under ? Very attractive toning!

Bullsitter that is wicked!

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drfish said:
    Chris - what conditions are you keeping this coin under ? Very attractive toning!

I just leave it out on a wood desk under a window next to a turtle tank (not sure if the turtle take helps though lol.) Although, its also about how well the surface of a specific coin or medal is prone to toning well as it is the environment. Some can come out down right ugly and its months before you know.

The more you VAM..
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭

Owl side up or down?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file