Comments

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Nice score

The more you VAM..

Thanks Chris

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The numerical grading of Carr pieces bums me out a little. I'm not a fan. I still may go that route but for storage reasons more then anything

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least ICG will grade overstrikes at 70. Perhaps if more people move over, ANACS will do the same?

@Justacommeman said:
    The numerical grading of Carr pieces bums me out a little. I'm not a fan. I still may go that route but for storage reasons more then anything

m

Secret Carr fact Mark. They tend to sell for much more of a premium when slabbed by ANACS no matter the grade. Don't ask me why when someone can typically spend much less to buy a raw coin and submit it themselves but they do.

The more you VAM..

@Zoins said:
    At least ICG will grade overstrikes at 70. Perhaps if more people move over, ANACS will do the same?

Yeah but ICG 70's sell for the price of ANACS 69's, or even less!

The more you VAM..
    edited November 18, 2017 5:34PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

They probably need their own custom Moonlight Mint and Clark Gruber inserts to compete. Now that Dan doesn't hand sign inserts, perhaps they can have signed inserts as well.

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

They probably need their own custom Moonlight Mint and Clark Gruber inserts to compete. Now that Dan doesn't hand sign inserts, perhaps they can have signed inserts as well.

I doubt there is anything they can do to take significant market share away from ANACS or to improve their view amongst aftermarket buyers of Carr items. I certainly wouldn't buy spec stock in them if they tried something.

The more you VAM..
    edited November 18, 2017 6:11PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

I doubt there is anything they can do to take significant market share away from ANACS or to improve their view amongst aftermarket buyers of Carr items. I certainly wouldn't buy spec stock in them if they tried something.

They are offering 70s which is a big difference. The fact that ANACS doesn't issue 70s for overstrikes doesn't seem to be well known. The more this becomes known, this may be a selling point for ICG. They just need to get everything else to par like the inserts.

I'm okay with Carr items offered by both ANACS and ICG. More competition is a good thing. Of course, PCGS would be great.

edited November 18, 2017 6:13PM

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

They are offering 70s which is a big difference. The fact that ANACS doesn't issue 70s for overstrikes doesn't seem to be well known. The more this becomes known, this may be a selling point. They just need to get everything else to par like the inserts.

I'm okay with Carr items offered by both ANACS and ICG. More competition is a good thing. Of course, PCGS would be great.

If ICG 70s brought a premium maybe but they don't. The collector base prefers anacs over icg so much that an ICG 70 brings as much or less than an ANACS 69. That speaks volumes.

The more you VAM..
    edited November 18, 2017 6:20PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

They are offering 70s which is a big difference. The fact that ANACS doesn't issue 70s for overstrikes doesn't seem to be well known. The more this becomes known, this may be a selling point. They just need to get everything else to par like the inserts.

If ICG 70s brought a premium maybe but they don't. The collector base prefers anacs over icg so much that a 70 brings as much or less than an anacs 69. That speaks volumes.

As discussed on this thread, some collectors, including myself, didn't realize ANACS doesn't offer 70 for overstrikes. Now that this is getting more known, preferences may change, especially if ICG starts offering inserts as well.

If collectors prefer ANACS so much, you shouldn't care if ICG introduces inserts or not right? And of course, there are some that do prefer ICG here.

Besides, more people moving to ICG should help ANACS collectors too since it could convince ANACS to start offering 70s, which was my original thought here.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Secret Carr fact Mark. They tend to sell for much more of a premium when slabbed by ANACS no matter the grade. Don't ask me why when someone can typically spend much less to buy a raw coin and submit it themselves but they do.

Good to know Chris! Thanks!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@illini420 said:
    When I have my Dan Carr items graded by ANACS, it isn't about the grade. I do so to have them better protected and properly attributed. The older labels with Dan's signature on them were a bonus, but unfortunately they have printed signatures now. Sure, getting an ANACS 70 is a bonus, but I'm fine w/ all 69s too.

But I have noticed that the 70s for medals are offered for much more so there does appear to be a difference.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@illini420 said:
    When I have my Dan Carr items graded by ANACS, it isn't about the grade. I do so to have them better protected and properly attributed. The older labels with Dan's signature on them were a bonus, but unfortunately they have printed signatures now. Sure, getting an ANACS 70 is a bonus, but I'm fine w/ all 69s too.

But I have noticed that the 70s for medals are offered for much more so there does appear to be a difference.

Well they are "offered" for much more... but I'm note sure they "sell" for much more...

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 7:53PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

@CascadeChris said:

@Zoins said:

If ICG 70s brought a premium maybe but they don't. The collector base prefers anacs over icg so much that an ICG 70 brings as much or less than an ANACS 69. That speaks volumes.

I can't agree with the statement that ANACS MS69'S sell for more than ICG MS70's

Comparing 1964-D Morgan Dollars Die Pair #1 coins the last (3) ANACS'S MS69's sold for:

$170 on 11/17/17 - Best offer sell price was $170
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-Morgan-Dollar-Daniel-Carr-Moonlight-Mint-ANACS-MS69/382262512404?hash=item59009f0b14:g:9GcAAOSwvApZ8Qb2

$140 on 9/23/17 -------- ooops ----- this was a best offer also and sell price was $132.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-Daniel-Carr-Morgan-Dollar-Overstrike-SILVER-Token-ANACS-MS66-Die-Pair-1/332373956406?hash=item4d63081736:g:lTUAAOSwhxBZs5K7

$160 on 8/26/17
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-Daniel-Carr-Morgan-Dollar-Overstrike-SILVERToken-ANACS-MS-69-Die-Pair-1/172838364735?hash=item283df8263f:g:nKEAAOSw03lY6WQZ

An ICG MS70 (my coin) sold for $250 on 9/16/17
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICG-MS70-1964-D-Daniel-Carr-Morgan-Dollar-Die-Pair-1-O-S-with-COA-Moonlight-Mint/263198240016?hash=item3d47d66d10:g:jPAAAOSwk-pZj-zu

I have also sold several more ICG MS70 for $225 - $250 via private sells.

I have sold ICG MS69's in the $190 - $195 price range.

I have no trouble selling the ICG coins.

I would perfer to have them in PCGS holders but they chose not to grade them. :s

GrandAm :)
    edited November 19, 2017 11:47AM

I'm not sure why ICG being more popular or ANACS offering 70s seem to be so controversial.

Looking into both 1917 Broken Sword Peace dollars and 1964-D Morgan dollars, ICG 70 sold for more than ANACS 69 in both cases. It's simply not true that ICG 70s sell for less than ANACS 69s.

Thanks for posting the 1964-D Morgan figures @GRANDAM.

Here are the 1917 Broken Sword figures. The ICG 70 sold for $325 and while ANACS 69s sold in a range from $203.50 to $299.99. So the one ICG 70 sold more than every ANACS 69, anywhere from 8% to 60% more.

There are 2 ANACS 69s offered at $299.99 and $254.15 (sale off of $299.00) now.

1917 Broken Sword

ICG 70

ANACS 69

edited November 18, 2017 7:46PM

"So the one ICG 70 sold more than every ANACS 69, anywhere from 8% to 60% more."

This was my coin as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a few more ICG MS70 1917 Peace Dollars but not ready to sell them yet.

edited November 18, 2017 7:58PM

@illini420 said:

@Zoins said:

@illini420 said:

Well they are "offered" for much more... but I'm note sure they "sell" for much more...

I've been watching 2 silver owls offered for $699.95 each. I've been very curious to see what the market will bear, but you're correct in that those particular ones haven't sold yet.

edited November 18, 2017 8:05PM

I sold a 2012 "Wizzing Panda" ICG MS70 for $342 back in Feb 2012. Issue price was $100 with my grading costs.

Not a bad price for a token or medal.

I have sold many ICG MS70 Eisenhower Dollars as well.

edited November 18, 2017 8:05PM

@GRANDAM said:
    I sold a 2012 "Wizzing Panda" ICG MS70 for $342 back in Feb 2012. Issue price was $100 with my grading costs.

Not a bad price for a token or medal.

That's a great price back in 2012 right after issue.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've really been wanting a 70 1917 peace. I have a few that should have made it, but they are anacs. I will probably either send future ones to ICG, or just buy one on the secondary market. Anacs might want to reconsider their policy on this one.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Q: When you send into ANACS, do you pay for 'conservation'?

Question ? But wouldnt any signs of host coin make it ineligible for ms 70 ? and I dont think that is possible is it ?

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Well I do like ANACS for the bevel top holder but the numbers don't lie. It's off to ICG next batch. Maybe the return time will be quicker too. My ANACS was over two months on an 80 coin sub.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 11:59AM

I think I bought one of those but I cant find the transaction other than I have the coin in hand. Its a 69 I chose not to pay extra for the 70. This coin is beautiful, glad I ended up buying the 69. Can you really tell the difference anyways? Updated the pic working on learning the process.

@Gluggo said:
    I think I bought one of those but I cant find the transaction other than I have the coin in hand. Its a 69 I chose not to pay extra for the 70. This coin is beautiful, glad I ended up buying the 69. Can you really tell the difference anyways?

You have an ANACS MS69 peace and Morgan heading your way soon, so you can compare the two! I think they are supposed to get here tomorrow, so I will be shipping soon :)

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 12:54PM

Ya done good JW, that is awesome, glad for you.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been looking for one of those...I must have been snoozing...or working.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
    edited November 26, 2017 10:59AM

Picked me me up a second DC 1964 peace for the month ! I thank this is a Die 6 because of die gouge by mint mark mhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-Daniel-Carr-silver-peace-dollar/192376740907?hash=item2cca8c1c2b:g:H18AAOSwz3JaGuuwark ?

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2017 6:46PM

@1940coupe said:
    Picked me me up a second DC 1964 peace for the month ! I thank this is a Die 6 because of die gouge by mint mark mhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-D-Daniel-Carr-silver-peace-dollar/192376740907?hash=item2cca8c1c2b:g:H18AAOSwz3JaGuuwark ?

I sent a link on that listing to Dan for his opinion as it looked a little funky to me , however he never responded . I hope it’s good for your sake as I’ve really never seen any offered without a certificate that we’re not in a third party slab .
    The sellers feedback is solid , but I would get Dan’s opinion if you haven’t already done so .

I didn’t notice the invoice in the background when I first looked at the listing . According to that someone paid $580 for one, so if that’s the case then nice score for sure . Any 64 Carrr Peace under $300 is a great buy .

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

I saw that and almost clicked it, I hope you had the 10% eBay bucks.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Nice score!

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:

@1940coupe said:

I sent a link on that listing to Dan for his opinion as it looked a little funky to me , however he never responded . I hope it’s good for your sake as I’ve really never seen any offered without a certificate that we’re not in a third party slab .
    The sellers feedback is solid , but I would get Dan’s opinion if you haven’t already done so .

I didn’t notice the invoice in the background when I first looked at the listing . According to that someone paid $580 for one, so if that’s the case then nice score for sure . Any 64 Carrr Peace under $300 is a great buy .

Sorry, I was out of town for the holiday, just got back.
    Anyway, that looks like a genuine "Carr" over-strike "1964-D" Peace, with perhaps some post-over-strike contamination spots on it (which could probably be "conserved" ok).

ICG is an option, although I don't like that they use the word "Replica" on the labels for over-strikes.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Humbled that Dan visited the store while on vacation... and granted me a “selfie” with him.

Better than any coin he ever made (which included 5 of his fantasy strikes which I profited on handsomely over time) is having made his acquaintance.

It was an honor, for sure. You rock , Dan.

HE>I

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 10:50AM

The store is almost empty, holiday shoppers? When will there be more coins?

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfStrike said:

In time for xmas, I think our best bet is ebay.

But who knows? Though I suspect it's unlikely, maybe Dan will have a last-minute surprise.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 5:42PM

I closed a couple DC items off fleabay in the last month.

I'm waiting for this goodie to ship:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DANIEL-CARR-2015-PEACE-DOLLAR-OVER-STRIKE-MORGAN-1889-DENVER-COIN-CLUB/292347024356?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The dual iconic profiles sold me on it.

It just looks like coin art to me.

Well that & maybe being on a 1890CC $ donor coin is pretty uncommon.
    Could be my best donor overstrike ?

I hope the donor is real and not just a common Chinese crap metal counterfeit coin.

Either way, it still looks cool to me.

Lindy

@COCollector said:

@HalfStrike said:

But who knows? Though I suspect it's unlikely, maybe Dan will have a last-minute surprise.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 8:11PM

Hey Lindy ~ Here is my Denver Coin Club overstrike on a 1900-O Morgan. I agree that they are impressive indeed.

Dan Fan

Hey Dan Fan,
    I like your 80th Anniversary 1 of 75 overstrike too !
    Have you posted it here before, like 5 months ago ?
    I recall seeing one of these, which led to my desire to acquire one.

@LindyS said:
    I closed a couple DC items off fleabay in the last month.

I'm waiting for this goodie to ship:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DANIEL-CARR-2015-PEACE-DOLLAR-OVER-STRIKE-MORGAN-1889-DENVER-COIN-CLUB/292347024356?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The dual iconic profiles sold me on it.

It just looks like coin art to me.

Well that & maybe being on a 1890CC $ donor coin is pretty uncommon.
    Could be my best donor overstrike ?

I hope the donor is real and not just a common Chinese crap metal counterfeit coin.

Either way, it still looks cool to me.

Lindy

@COCollector said:

@HalfStrike said:

The "crap metal" Chinese pieces will likely crack or split open when over-struck.
    As I remember, a Denver coin club member brought that 1890-CC Morgan to the striking event.
    It had some problem (cleaning and/or damage). But it was a genuine coin.

SWEET !!!

I really like the piece & I am very happy its on a real deal 1890CC.

Dan, You did a fantastic overstrike of it, just lightly re-striking it, preserving many host coin details.

Very cool piece!

edited December 1, 2017 5:01PM

This just crossed my mind,

What are the more memorable donor coins you recall enhancing, improving upon, over striking Daniel ?

I am impressed you remember overstriking a 1890CC Dollar at your Denver Coin Club open house event from over 2 years ago !

Funny thing is,
    I thought this donor was an 1889CC $ and I decided to close the offer even though my assumption was it's an overstrike on a counterfeit.

Incorrect guess, My Bad

;^)

Lindy

@dcarr said:

The "crap metal" Chinese pieces will likely crack or split open when over-struck.
    As I remember, a Denver coin club member brought that 1890-CC Morgan to the striking event.
    It had some problem (cleaning and/or damage). But it was a genuine coin.

@renman95 said:
    Q: When you send into ANACS, do you pay for 'conservation'?

I would like to hear comments on this

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file