Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

1213214215216217219»

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF said:
    Hey Dan, don't know if you've already addressed this,...my 2024 CG Half Eagle shows "7.78 grams" on the coin's reverse, however, on the reverse of the flip you wrote "8.05 grams". What gives? Thx.

It is better to be over-weight than underweight. 7.78 grams is, of course, exactly 1/4 troy oz.
    But it is difficult to get the weight exactly right on small production runs.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Up before midnight to experience my full birthday day & what did I just encounter ?

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2024 3:36AM

@Mr Lindy said:
    Up before midnight to experience my full birthday day & what did I just encounter ?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR LINDY...... B)

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday @Mr Lindy
    Enjoy the day with some DC specials.

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Lindyday!

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@D808LF said:
    Hey Dan, don't know if you've already addressed this,...my 2024 CG Half Eagle shows "7.78 grams" on the coin's reverse, however, on the reverse of the flip you wrote "8.05 grams". What gives? Thx.

It is better to be over-weight than underweight. 7.78 grams is, of course, exactly 1/4 troy oz.
    But it is difficult to get the weight exactly right on small production runs.

Woohoo! An extra 0.27 grams of gold; roughly $22. B)

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel how do you get ahold of this type of strike from D. Carr?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

It popped up on Dan's site when I happened to check. No special access required, just had to be there first. Mintage of one.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel said:

@oih82w8 said:

It popped up on Dan's site when I happened to check. No special access required, just had to be there first. Mintage of one.

Wonderful piece! Congrats on a super cool Carr Peace dollar! I see four strikes, are there more?

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a question for all of you. I have 5 pieces of the Gruber and thee larger pieces along with the signed strips they
    came with. They have toned quite a bit and even though I don’t show all of the ones that…..and they’ve even toned slightly
    more. I made these pics awhile back.
    My question is would you make a display out of these (my original intention). Or slab each one separately?
    I still plan on holding them but with my help in question would it advisable to slab separate?
    Or does someone have a better idea?
    Thanks in advance.
    This is a mock up of something I would do. I do understand they do not fit in the
    strips, so I woul have to have space between the medal and strips.

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    My question is would you make a display out of these (my original intention). Or slab each one separately?
    I still plan on holding them but with my help in question would it advisable to slab separate?
    Or does someone have a better idea?
    Thanks in advance.
    This is a mock up of something I would do. I do understand they do not fit in the
    strips, so I woul have to have space between the medal and strips.

I would build or buy a display that keeps them together. They look incredible in your mock-up.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2024 9:17AM

I would take a dremel grinding tool and carefully enlarger the inside of the strips until the medals would lay inside of them. Then display them as in your mock-up.

GrandAm :)
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

>

I would take a dremel grinding tool and carefully enlarger the inside of the strips until the medals would lay inside of them. Then display them as in your mock-up.

Wouldn’t that be altering the signed strip? Is that okay and accepted in the world of collecting?
    I ask because I also thought about that but then it wouldn’t be “original”

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wouldn't bother me.

GrandAm :)
    edited September 12, 2024 1:55PM

My strip remains as purchased at silver melt long ago.
    No additional chopping or hole mods desired.
    I think its so cool Dan dremelled his autograph & mine looks so perfect !
    I wonder how long the strips were before they got chopped ?

I'd leave it be,
    but that's just me.

I still need the 1.5 oz strip, got the 1 oz covered.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2024 6:35PM

@Mr Lindy said:

I'd leave it be,
    but that's just me.

I have asked @dcarr about those octagonal strips but did not receive a positive reply. Those are so cool!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

@Mr Lindy said:

I'd leave it be,
    but that's just me.

I have asked @dcarr about those octagonal strips but did not receive a positive reply. Those are so cool!

There are two sizes of octagons that I punch: 35mm (Lesher Dollar size) and 41mm ($50 gold slug size).
    The time that I might have either punched strip left over and available would be around the time that I am minting something that size.

I have not made any Lesher size pieces for a few years, but I will probably do more at some point.
    The 41mm octagons (in silver) are typically made early in the new year.

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

Those strips are really kool ‼️Wouldn’t it be kooler than cool if Dan were to offer a set of the strip with the actual pieces he stamped out of the strip‼️👍👍🎯
    And I don’t know how he punches out the rounds too, but how kool would it be if he made sets with the punched out round and the same sheet of metal they were punched out of as a set, what a kool display of his work that would be‼️‼️👍👍👍

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been on hiatus for far too long. Time for me to re-engage and find new homes for a bunch of my stuff. A few Zoid items added to the BST.

Just an idea of what you will find. The listing is entitled . . . .

"Elder, and Landis, and Carrs, oh my . . . . . . ."

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Happy Sunday Zoid Man !!!

Lindy

@ZoidMeister said:
    I have been on hiatus for far too long. Time for me to re-engage and find new homes for a bunch of my stuff. A few Zoid items added to the BST.

Z

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr Lindy said:
    Happy Sunday Zoid Man !!!

Lindy

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Back at ya! It's been too long. A lot has transpired since my last appearance.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

Good to see you back‼️👍👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file