Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't resist bought 1 of each of these. moonlight mint photos that I PhotoScaped. The owl is a hoot.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure don't get tired of that HR reverse! Absolutely beautiful.
    I wonder if the reverse die life is shorter??

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I sure don't get tired of that HR reverse! Absolutely beautiful.
    I wonder if the reverse die life is shorter??

I'm guessing that's a good possibility and also might beone of the reasons for the slightly higher price on the overstrike compared to most

The more you VAM..
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ship notice also- can't wait to see it in hand!

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2017 7:46AM

My Matte Proof 1964 Morgan should arrive tomorrow, the HR Peace Dollar has not yet been shipped.
    Can't wait to see it and compare the strike to a nice 1921.

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 10:33AM

Got my Matte Proof Morgan, looks much better than I expected.
    No 'ghosting' when viewed through 10X loupe.
    I think it looks better than my Matte Proof 1964 Peace Dollar!

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

DC should number, #0001 - through #01964 on his labeling. Which one you got? MHO.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:
    DC should number, #0001 - through #01964 on his labeling. Which one you got? MHO.

In strike order?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@epcjimi1 said:

In strike order?

Loaded question

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Just got mine. Boy are they killer!

Looks like he overstruck an obverse onto a reverse and vice versa. I wonder if DC did this on purpose?

@renman95 said:

@CascadeChris said:

Looks like he overstruck an obverse onto a reverse and vice versa. I wonder if DC did this on purpose?

He clashed the dies, very hard. This is not ghosting.

The more you VAM..

@CascadeChris said:

@renman95 said:

@CascadeChris said:

He clashed the dies, very hard. This is not ghosting.

I like it. Did you order specifically or was this random?

edited January 27, 2017 4:24PM

Dcarr decision to clash and sell clashed for those of us who like the look

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 4:26PM

@renman95 said:

Yes, that clashing was intentional: http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1-1-2-1-1-2.aspx

Or you can get 'em without clashing: http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1-1-2-1-1.aspx

I ordered both versions.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

edited January 27, 2017 4:28PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    Dcarr decision to clash and sell clashed for those of us who like the look

Clash 4 cash! :lol:

The more you VAM..

@BryceM said:
    Some photos of coins that came today. Overall, it is VERY COOL to see de Francisci's original intent. The relief and central detail of the reverse is incredible. The photos of the Bronze were borrowed and cropped from Dan's post in the other thread.

It's interesting to consider the modifications Barber made when he removed the sword from the master. It appears he added considerable detail to the talons, rock, and olive leaves themselves. This has always stood out in contrast to the somewhat soft look of the rest of the coin, presumably due to detail loss during the reduction process from the Janvier lathe.

No disrespect to Dan (incredible work!) but it looks like whatever instruments he used to create his dies also suffered from an inability to completely transfer the fine detail with full fidelity. The parallel circumferential grooves look like imperfections from a CNC cutting instrument.

Is that a strikethrough under the UR on your overstrike?

The more you VAM..

@MsMorrisine said:

@Kudbegud said:

@epcjimi1 said:

In strike order?

Loaded question

It would be nice for collectors and more work for him. Probably won't happen.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

The faint concentric rings are an engraving issue. Generally these are caused by the engraving tool becoming slightly less sharp as the spiral progresses from center to rim. Of the three Broken Sword dies that I have engraved, the 2-troy-oz silver version has the least amount of concentric circle artifacts.

Also note that the area where the broken sword was removed would naturally have sharper details because that area is where Morgan did some engraving work on the master hub/dies by hand. That will always yield sharper detail than what is obtained from a reduction lathe.

PS:
    I am presently looking into some new engraving techniques to improve things.

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

I'll keep an eye out for the ANACS special.

ANACS has the dollar size grading on special this month (Jan) I emailed and asked about the Carr peace and Morgan over strikes. They said okay so I asked about they rest of my collection, and that was alright too. In a month I should have boxes and boxes of graded Carr coins.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is ANACS still using the curved top slab?

GrandAm :)
    edited January 27, 2017 7:59PM

@GRANDAM said:

Yes. Standard yellow label but they use special labels designed by Dan for Moonlight Mint and Clark Gruber items

The more you VAM..
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@GRANDAM said:

Yes. Standard yellow label but they use special labels designed by Dan for Moonlight Mint and Clark Gruber items

And don't forget the ANACS labels are each signed by Dan Carr too. I recently got back over 100 of my Dan Carr items from ANACS and I'm happy I got them graded. Even got a few MS70 grades :+1:

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2017 6:11AM

BryceM, that 2 ounce token looks great, hope mine arrive today. When they show up I'll post some pics even though they won't look near as good as yours.

I love this thing........

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to receiving my '17 HR Peace and '64 Morgan!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

Is that a strikethrough under the UR on your overstrike?

Yes, it looks like it was a small stray piece of cloth or metal shaving.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another variation of the 64 Morgan. :|
    Looks like they are in the last leg of production.
    Might have to cash in the change jar and order a clashed one.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2017 12:08PM

Love the history behind and the text added by Dan on the Broken Sword medals.

In 2021, it might be cool to have a 2oz mule with the de Francisci and Morgan reverses surrounded by text that describes what happened.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2017 12:24PM

Dan, love the clashing on the clashed dies Morgan! Any chance of seeing some pics of those dies?

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received my 1917 "broken sword" yesterday. Very pleased- thank you Dan! I'm waiting in anticipation of the 2017 Clark Gruber 1.5 oz silver octagon. I have the 2015 & 2016, and curious what the 2017's will look like!

• WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

I need one of those 2 oz tokens that is impressive. I can't think of a coin that has impressed me more.

@Zoins said:
    Love the history behind and the text added by Dan on the Broken Sword medals.

In 2021, it might be cool to have a 2oz mule with the de Francisci and Morgan reverses surrounded by text that describes what happened.

That is a neat idea. Maybe.

@Zoins said:
    Dan, love the clashing on the clashed dies Morgan! Any chance of seeing some pics of those dies?

It is easier to see it on the over-struck coins. But if I get a chance maybe I will take a photo of the dies.

@PocketArt said:
    Received my 1917 "broken sword" yesterday. Very pleased- thank you Dan! I'm waiting in anticipation of the 2017 Clark Gruber 1.5 oz silver octagon. I have the 2015 & 2016, and curious what the 2017's will look like!

The reverse will be the same ;)

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am ordering one and having it antiqued with copper before sending it in for grading.

@Bullsitter said:
    BryceM, that 2 ounce token looks great, hope mine arrive today. When they show up I'll post some pics even though they won't look near as good as yours.

Why can't I find these on his website?.

@renman95 said:

@Bullsitter said:

Why can't I find these on his website?.

?? They're right there on the first page. Second down...

http://www.dc-coin.com/2008hardtimestoken536minted-2-3-1-1-2-2-2-1-1.aspx

The more you VAM..

Never mind , found it under Hard Time tokens(?) I would've thought under 'bullion'.

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing these in hand. Ordered early and still haven't gotten shipping notification. :s

@bigjpst said:
    Looking forward to seeing these in hand. Ordered early and still haven't gotten shipping notification. :s

Me too. Checking status twice a day. Can you tell I'm anxious to receive them?

I had a feeling that would sell even for $100 over. Some people just like buying off of eBay rather than websites. Go figure. Don't just assume it was someone who doesn't know about his site. The cert with his site address is right there. Could be but it could very well be someone who only buys through eBay.

The more you VAM..
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    I had a feeling that would sell even for $100 over. Some people just like buying off of eBay rather than websites. Go figure. Don't just assume it was someone who doesn't know about his site. The cert with his site address is right there. Could be but it could very well be someone who only buys through eBay.

I would say if they know they could buy it for 175.00 from moonlight mint but they want to buy off ebay for 275.00 they have a serious mental problem ?

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:

I would say if they know they could buy it for 175.00 from moonlight mint but they want to buy off ebay for 275.00 they have a serious mental problem ?

Not really. Some people just either have a general rule of not buying from websites and/or only buying on eBay. I agree it's crazy but hey, this is America and people can do as they please with their money. I know of a guy on one of these forums that loves Dans items but won't buy direct because he never buys off of websites... even though he knows Dan is a great guy who will refund or exchange with no questions. It does make one scratch their head though for sure.

The more you VAM..
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:

Not really. Some people just either have a general rule of not buying from websites and/or only buying on eBay. I agree it's crazy but hey, this is America and people can do as they please with their money. I know of a guy on one of these forums that loves Dans items but won't buy direct because he never buys off of websites... even though he knows Dan is a great guy who will refund or exchange with no questions. It does make one scratch their head though for sure.

well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree

and the web address is in the picture.

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the head's up. I ordered one and my wife caught me in the act.

I told her the background, showed her the photos, and compared it against a '21. Showed her the 1964 DC Morgan she didn't know about and a toned PL 1889 I own, and she was on board!

Then the next question: "Uh, what am I to do with all this if you're gone before me?"

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • hutze1nmhutze1nm Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

I just got my 1964-D high grade proof like grades back from ICG - they weren't all that PL anyway but I was hoping for the designation still as thats what I collect. I did not, both came back MS69 though... I would like to own a true PL or DMPL version if Dan has any left...

Things I like to do: Collect PL Morgans. That’s is all.
  • tander123tander123 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I couldn't resist. Every time read up on these threads I find more I like. Just dropped another $500. What I like is that I am not just buying coins, I am buying some incredible numismatic art. I just wish I could find out as soon as new items go on sale because I missed the reeded edge WWI Failure coin :(

Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file