• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hall in Swabia. Free City Germany 1705 GFN NGC AU55, KM-10

• Options

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

• Options

Try to keep this thread live so post one more. 1895 Japan Yen NGC MS64

• Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭

BHM #191, 1774. Peter Muilman, eminent Dutch merchant of Kirby Hall, Essex, commissioned this 40th year wedding anniversary medal by Thomas Pingo.

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Happy Tuesday!

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new one on its way...

Robert the Wise, 1309-1343. AR gigliato (29 mm, 3.88 g, 6 h). King seated on throne with lion head supports / Floreate cross.

"Bob" to his friends.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m partial to this one:

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ncsuwolf74ncsuwolf74 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

One of my favorites from my collection. This coin showed up on ebay as a buy it now and it took me all of 2 seconds to purchase it.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Jim Elliot

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    I’m partial to this one:

Nice coin. I was interested in the grade and for some reason, its not being found in the PCGS cert verification system...

• Options

@ShadyDave said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    I’m partial to this one:

Nice coin. I was interested in the grade and for some reason, its not being found in the PCGS cert verification system...

I forgot about that. That is the old cert number. The grade is a 55, which is ludicrous in my opinion. I bought it as an NGC 61. It is the sharpest looking lion Daalder I have ever seen. It looks much better than those graded P62 or 63. I asked for a regrade and it came back the same. I think the graders are put off by the irregular shape but that is how it left the mint.
    I may send it back “across the street” to have it regraded because this grade is just wrong.
    I would rather have this than any P62-63 I have ever seen.
    (Sorry Hosts, but I am right here.)

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

@ShadyDave said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    I’m partial to this one:

I forgot about that. That is the old cert number. The grade is a 55, which is ludicrous in my opinion. I bought it as an NGC 61. It is the sharpest looking lion Daalder I have ever seen. It looks much better than those graded P62 or 63. I asked for a regrade and it came back the same. I think the graders are put off by the irregular shape but that is how it left the mint.
    I may send it back “across the street” to have it regraded because this grade is just wrong.

I would take my 63, but to each his own

• Options
    edited October 16, 2019 4:52PM

@Boosibri said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ShadyDave said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    I’m partial to this one:

While my comments were directed at other pieces in general and not at yours specifically, yours seemed to be directed at me and mine. That “to each his own” comment seems completely unnecessary and bordering on rude, but to each his own.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I like them both.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Well... I like them both.

Thanks, 2K

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

@Boosibri said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ShadyDave said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    I’m partial to this one:

While my comments were directed at other pieces in general and not at yours specifically, yours seemed to be directed at me and mine. That “to each his own” comment seems completely unnecessary and bordering on rude, but to each his own.

You said “ I would rather have this than any P62-63 I have ever seen.” immediately below the post of my coin, which is a 63. I simply responded that I would rather have my 63 in response to your post stating that you find yours superior to any you have seen. You might have been generalizing but your post seems to have originally been directly in response to mine.

Nice coin btw

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@Boosibri said:

@Yorkshireman said:

@ShadyDave said:

@Yorkshireman said:
    I’m partial to this one:

You said “ I would rather have this than any P62-63 I have ever seen.” immediately below the post of my coin, which is a 63. I simply responded that I would rather have my 63 in response to your post stating that you find yours superior to any you have seen. You might have been generalizing but your post seems to have originally been directly in response to mine.

Nice coin btw

Not at all intended that way.
    Peace

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad everyone is getting along now. Mine is a much more modest 45, but I still love it.

@Yorkshireman - serious question for you or the group, how do you know that the coin left the mint that way vs. being clipped? I get that the quality control on these was garbage. In particular, on my coin and @Boosibri 's there are areas where it looks like the metal just ran out or the planchet was crap. But the straight edges on yours I am not sure how one would tell. When you cracked it out I guess you could see the edges and maybe that yielded a clue?

Thanks.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    edited October 17, 2019 5:59PM

@Bob13 said:
    Glad everyone is getting along now. Mine is a much more modest 45, but I still love it.

@Yorkshireman - serious question for you or the group, how do you know that the coin left the mint that way vs. being clipped? I get that the quality control on these was garbage. In particular, on my coin and @Boosibri 's there are areas where it looks like the metal just ran out or the planchet was crap. But the straight edges on yours I am not sure how one would tell. When you cracked it out I guess you could see the edges and maybe that yielded a clue?

Thanks.

Bob13,
    That is a great question. I honestly couldn’t tell you myself. The dealer from whom I bought the coin (John Agre, CRO) told me he thought it had left with mint without being round due to imprecise striking. I suppose this meant hammering.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

@Bob13 said:

Bob13,
    That is a great question. I honestly couldn’t tell you myself. The dealer from whom I bought the coin (John Agre, CRO) told me he thought it had left with mint without being round due to imprecise striking. I suppose this meant hammering.

These coins weren't made well; it is not necessary to suspect clipping unless they are underweight (should be around 29 to 30 grams, I believe). Coarse edges are the norm, and both the mint state (or near; not looking to debate this, since most so-called MS62 pieces can also be "AU62" too) pieces have coarse edges that are obfuscated by the border enveloping the coin in the TrueView images. The EF45 coin looks to have smoother edges, but that is likely due to natural usage instead of an intentional act.

All three are nice, so -- congrats on having them!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple recent pickups:

• Options

Pictures could be better, but you get the gist.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a newp per se...other than apparently I bought it a few months ago and gave it to Hubs to give me for my birthday. I was surprised :lol: . Been super slow taking photos, but finally have these ready to go. Needless to say, the photos are not as good as jeton is in hand.

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

Cromwell shilling

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭✭

Something a bit later. 1790 pattern halfpenny Peck type R44 in silver.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭