Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Final AP Top 25. Ohio State is ahead of Penn State after Ohio State got horribly embarrassed and Penn State lost a nail biter to the hottest team in the country. Strange....

AP Top 25
    RK TEAM REC PTS TREND
    1 Clemson(60) 14-1 1500 —
    2 Alabama 14-1 1440 —
    3 USC 10-3 1292 —
    4 Washington 12-2 1277 —
    5 Oklahoma 11-2 1252 —
    6 Ohio State 11-2 1240 —
    7 Penn State 11-3 1130 —
    8 Florida State 10-3 1105 —
    9 Wisconsin 11-3 1032 —
    10 Michigan 10-3 1001 —
    11 Oklahoma State 10-3 920 —
    12 Stanford 10-3 730 —
    13 LSU 8-4 651 —
    14 Florida 9-4 640 —
    15 Western Michigan 13-1 619 —
    16 Virginia Tech 10-4 610 —
    17 Colorado 10-4 585 —
    18 West Virginia 10-3 368 —
    19 South Florida 11-2 358 —
    20 Miami 9-4 338 NR
    21 Louisville 9-4 277 —
    22 Tennessee 9-4 253 NR
    23 Utah 9-4 222 NR
    24 Auburn 8-5 206 —
    25 San Diego State 11-3 113 NR

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

we saw the split-screen during the pre-game and switched to ESPN1 for the normal broadcast.

I got the game I expected...................albeit only for one half!!!! a defensive match with both Teams struggling most of the time. I wonder what was said in each locker room at the break?? overall I was happy to see Alabama lose and thought that Bo what's-his name really excelled for the 'Tide and the cream, which is Deshaun Watson, finally rose to the top and settled things.

I will say this, Alabama will be a load on the Offensive side of the ball for the next few years.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

With 4 teams in the top 10 the BIG 10 or however many has certainly shown improvement. The bowl games show they still have a way to go to be on par with the other power conferences. BTW I was visiting family in Arizona over the holidays and I did something the Buckeyes failed to do. I showed up at the Fiesta Bowl.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

The Big ten finishes with 4 teams ranked in the top 10.

1 CLEMSON 14-1 1,500 60 3
    2 ALABAMA 14-1 1,440 – 1
    3 USC 10-3 1,292 – 9
    4 WASHINGTON 12-2 1,277 – 4
    5 OKLAHOMA 11-2 1,252 – 7
    6 OHIO STATE 11-2 1,240 – 2
    7 PENN STATE 11-3 1,130 – 5
    8 FLORIDA STATE 10-3 1,105 – 10
    9 WISCONSIN 11-3 1,032 – 8
    10 MICHIGAN 10-3 1,001 – 6
    11 OKLAHOMA STATE 10-3 920 – 13
    12 STANFORD 10-3 730 – 16
    13 LSU 8-4 651 – 19
    14 FLORIDA 9-4 640 – 20
    15 WESTERN MICHIGAN 13-1 619 – 12
    16 VIRGINIA TECH 10-4 610 – 18
    17 COLORADO 10-4 585 – 11
    18 WEST VIRGINIA 10-3 368 – 14
    19 SOUTH FLORIDA 11-2 358 – 25
    20 MIAMI (FL) 9-4 338 – –
    21 LOUISVILLE 9-4 277 – 15
    22 TENNESSEE 9-4 253 – –
    23 UTAH 9-4 222 – –
    24 AUBURN 8-5 206 – 17
    25 SAN DIEGO STATE

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2017 1:35PM

After watching the game again we just got whipped, no excuses.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2017 8:29PM

True. They also finished with 4 teams in the top 25. I know you are big on that.

Here are the Top 25 by Conference

PAC 12 five teams ( two in the top 4)
    ACC five teams
    SEC five teams
    BIG Ten four teams
    BIG 12 three teams

Balance reigns supreme

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Big Ten should've had five teams. Minnesota is no question a top 25 team. They almost beat Penn state in happy valley.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2017 3:17PM

Ha. Not even close. They came in at #34.

Their best wins were over a 7-6 Northwestern and a Washington St team. Their next best win was against 6-7 Maryland. The highest rated team they beat was Washington State at #40.

SUPER Soft schedule.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2017 3:31PM

Northwestern and Washington state are good teams. Washington state slaughtered Stanford. AND Minnesota almost beat the #7 ranked team on the road. They held a top 10 offense to 12 points. Northwestern beat Pitt who beat Clemson. The pollsters hate the Big Ten and they are rarely correct. Just look at this yrs pre-season poll.

• Options

How in the world is west Virginia ranked and not Minnesota?

• Options
    edited January 10, 2017 5:19PM

@garnettstyle said:
    Northwestern and Washington state are good teams. Washington state slaughtered Stanford. AND Minnesota almost beat the #7 ranked team on the road. They held a top 10 offense to 12 points. Northwestern beat Pitt who beat Clemson. The pollsters hate the Big Ten and they are rarely correct. Just look at this yrs pre-season poll.

No you are just smittened with Big Ten love it blinds your objectivity. You are a Homer. It's ok. The Big Ten East was humiliated in the Bowl Games this year. They were supposed to be the best. They didn't back it up. They went 0-5. The Big Ten has sucked in Bowl Games for the longest time. It's depressing. People don't hate the Big Ten. If anything it's just the opposite. They kind of have a soft spot for the underdog like the kid that gets beats up a lot. They want them to do well

Minnesota is not very good and neither is Northwestern no matter how you spin it in your illogical stream of thought. For example Illinois State beat NW at Northwestern. Central Arkansas beat Illinois State. Do I think Central Arkansas is better then NW? Probably not but that's how you try to debate.

Polls at the beginning of the year are merely educated guesses answer mean little.The polls at the end of the year take into account everyones body of work for the entire season. They reflect reality.

Oh ya, Happy New Year!

Mark

• Options

Reality my ass. All polls are biased because everyone is biased. We will just have to agree to disagree. Minnesota was overlooked plain and simple.

Why is West Virginia ranked and Minnesota is not?

• Options
    edited January 10, 2017 5:57PM

@garnettstyle said:
    Reality my ass. All polls are biased because everyone is biased. We will just have to agree to disagree. Minnesota was overlooked plain and simple.

Why is West Virginia ranked and Minnesota is not?

then why does it even matter if everyone is biased? Why put so much energy on the subject? You are asking us to buy into your bias with wacky logic.

I can't believe you are campaigning that Minnesota was overlooked.

1) they we're not 2) who cares even if they were 3) their best win was against the number 40 team in the country. Oh and they ALMOST beat someone good. Awesome resume. As who West Virginia. Who cares.

You love the polls when they show your point of view in a good light. You are the first to point them out. When they don't support your stance you cry about the very same pollling service. Last year you used the final Sagarin Computer Poll to support your absurd notion that OhIo State got robbed about not going to thr playoffs since they finished number 3 after the Bowls. I wonder why you aren't quoting Sagarin this year? I know why.

Mark

• Options

Considering you cant answer my question proves that I have a good argument lol.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2017 7:45PM

@garnettstyle said:
    Considering you cant answer my question proves that I have a good argument lol.

That's all you got? Wow.

Obviously enough people across the nation felt they were better then Minnesota. 16 spots to be exact. Not even close. West Virginia was 10-3 with no great wins. Right around 20th seems about right to me Minnesota was 9-4 with no great wins. Right about 30-35 seems about right to me. I'm not going to overthink about two less then great teams. Again I could care less. Personally on a neutral field I think West Virginia would beat Minnesota. We will never know. Either way it changes nothing and matters even less then that.

How about that Sagarin Poll?

mark

• Options

That's the debate of the day? Whether Minnesota deserves to be in the final top 25!? LOL! Good times!

• Options

@larryallen73 said:
    That's the debate of the day? Whether Minnesota deserves to be in the final top 25!? LOL! Good times!

The last act of desperate men. I really didn't realize he wanted an answer. Figured he couldn't have been serious. Oh well.

He can believe want he wants to believe.
    mark

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on, mark, WVa had a good win -- they beat my team (K-State) by one in Morgantown. In all seriousness, the Big 12 ended up having a decent season after a brutal start.
    From beginning until almost the end, the Big Ten had a fine year. But then their big three either laid eggs (Buckeyes) or lost close games (Michigan, Penn State). So that ends the discussion on it being the best conference. All you need to know about Minnesota is they needed a last minute field goal at home to beat Rutgers.
    In the end, ACC was the winner conference with national champion and Florida State having a big bowl game win. SEC had a down season but is still the best conference in terms of talent. Lot of parity this year, which is not such a bad thing unless you want to brag about how tremendous your conference is.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

ACC was the best conference? Other than Florida state and Clemson, what other teams were that good?

• Options
    edited January 10, 2017 8:29PM

@garnettstyle said:
    ACC was the best conference? Other than Florida state and Clemson, what other teams were that good?

The ACC had five teams in the top 25

The Big Ten had four teams in the top 25.

The ACC had the National Champion

The.Big Ten had 4 teams in the top ten.

The ACC had wins of Clemson over OSU and FSU over Michigan. The ACC's two best teams beat what many considered the Big Tens top teams.

The ACC went 8-3 in Bowl Games

The Big Ten went 3-7 in Bowl Games

These are all facts.

FYI Not only was ACC a better conferences then the Big the PAC 12 can lay claim to that as well. The PAC 12 had5 Teams in the Top 25 ( two in the top 4). Again fact. The Big Ten and SEC were a close second

mark

• Options
    edited January 10, 2017 8:38PM

@breakdown said:
    Come on, mark, WVa had a good win -- they beat my team (K-State) by one in Morgantown. In all seriousness, the Big 12 ended up having a decent season after a brutal start.
    From beginning until almost the end, the Big Ten had a fine year. But then their big three either laid eggs (Buckeyes) or lost close games (Michigan, Penn State). So that ends the discussion on it being the best conference. All you need to know about Minnesota is they needed a last minute field goal at home to beat Rutgers.
    In the end, ACC was the winner conference with national champion and Florida State having a big bowl game win. SEC had a down season but is still the best conference in terms of talent. Lot of parity this year, which is not such a bad thing unless you want to brag about how tremendous your conference is.

Yes Jeff I realized that but didn't want to get into a debate with garnettstyle over whether K State was good or not. He is the master of rabbit holes.

A yes Rutgers was the worst team I've seen in years in Div 1

Mark

• Options

Yes, almost as bad as Virginia.

I didn't know Rutgers beat Minnesota though?

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Yes, almost as bad as Virginia.

Virginia compares more to Illinois and Purdue. Rutgers is several rungs lower then those teams. Rutgers is rock bottom. Ask any Rutgers alumni.

mark

• Options

Nah, they both had the same record, and Rutgers played a tougher schedule.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2017 10:04PM

And they got beat like a baby seal. Look at them scores against the good teams.

Anyways another rabbit hole. Rutgers is putrid

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

Pitt (tied for 4th in the ACC) beat the Big 10 champions, so there's that. As a conference they went 3-1 against the Big 10 and 4-1 against the SEC, the other two pretenders to the crown this year.

Please stop garnettstyle, you are making Ohio State fans look foolish.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:
    Final AP Top 25. Ohio State is ahead of Penn State after Ohio State got horribly embarrassed and Penn State lost a nail biter to the hottest team in the country. Strange....

AP Top 25
    RK TEAM REC PTS TREND
    1 Clemson(60) 14-1 1500 —
    2 Alabama 14-1 1440 —
    3 USC 10-3 1292 —
    4 Washington 12-2 1277 —
    5 Oklahoma 11-2 1252 —
    6 Ohio State 11-2 1240 —
    7 Penn State 11-3 1130 —
    8 Florida State 10-3 1105 —
    9 Wisconsin 11-3 1032 —
    10 Michigan 10-3 1001 —

Florida State is WAY too low. I think I'd flip flop Oklahoma and Penn State and have FSU above Penn State. Also, Michigan should be ahead of Wisconsin. I think I'd also have to move Washington ahead of USC. While USC beat them , Washington still won the conference.

So I'd go:
    1 Clemson
    2 Alabama
    3 Washington
    4 USC
    5 Florida State
    6 Penn State
    7 Ohio State
    8 Oklahoma
    9 Michigan
    10 Wisconsin

• Options
    edited January 11, 2017 1:50PM

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Pitt (tied for 4th in the ACC) beat the Big 10 champions, so there's that. As a conference they went 3-1 against the Big 10 and 4-1 against the SEC, the other two pretenders to the crown this year.

Stop because I have the right to give my opinion? Its a fact that the Big ten was #1 in the power conferences by ESPN and other sources BEFORE the bowls. So why should they NOT be #1 now because they didn't win a few 'MEANINGLESS' bowl games? Meaningless was not my language to make it clear.

Guess what conference scheduled the most games against FCS opponents? Give you a hint. It starts with an A.

• Options

Ya the National Semi Final, Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl were meaningless. eye roll. Clemson, FSU and USC vs Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. What could be better?

mark

• Options

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

I don't lump you other guys in. He is an enigma. I hope.

mark

• Options
    edited January 11, 2017 2:19PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Ya the National Semi Final, Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl were meaningless. eye roll. Clemson, FSU and USC vs Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. What could be better?

mark

The orange bowl was meaningless according to Michigan's heisman candidate :D He wanted to make sure he didn't get injured in a meaningless game, so he could get more money in the next level.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

The orange bowl was meaningless according to Michigan's heisman candidate :D He wanted to make sure he didn't get injured in a meaningless game, so he could get more money in the next level.

Sure he did. eye roll. Warrioreleven investigative reporting I guess.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

I don't lump you other guys in. He is an enigma. I hope.

mark

And maybe someday your team will make the playoffs soon, but doubtful. Hairball will not save them, and you will continue to lose to your rival every year.

• Options
    edited January 11, 2017 2:28PM

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Sure he did. eye roll. Warrioreleven investigative reporting I guess.

mark

I wasn't the one whining and making excuses when my team lost. You sounding like a 6 yr old crybaby after your skunkrats lost to the same team five straight years. Get used to it.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Stop because I have the right to give my opinion? Its a fact that the Big ten was #1 in the power conferences by ESPN and other sources BEFORE the bowls. So why should they NOT be #1 now because they didn't win a few 'MEANINGLESS' bowl games? Meaningless was not my language to make it clear.

Guess what conference scheduled the most games against FCS opponents? Give you a hint. It starts with an A.

Just off the top of my head I think the ACC played NW, Penn St, Indiana, Florida, Mississippi, Auburn, Georgia (2), Tennessee, Penn State, Oklahoma St, ND ( who knew they would suck like MSU) out of conference in the regular season.

In the Bowls Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Stanford, Kentucky, NW, Temple, Maryland , West Virginia, Arkansas.

Wonder what there record was against the list above? I didn't even include dogs in the Power 5 like Illinois that they beat.

They beat all three Big Ten Juggernauts ( OSU, Penn State and Michigan). That's all the proof one need some. You are just being obtuse. That's your MO.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Just off the top of my head I think the ACC played NW, Penn St, Indiana, Florida, Mississippi, Auburn, Georgia (2), Tennessee, Penn State, Oklahoma St, ND ( who knew they would suck like MSU) out of conference in the regular season.

In the Bowls Michigan, Ohio State, LSU, Stanford, Kentucky, NW, Temple, Maryland , West Virginia, Arkansas.

Wonder what there record was against the list above? I didn't even include dogs in the Power 5 like Illinois that they beat.

They beat all three Big Ten Juggernauts ( OSU, Penn State and Michigan). That's all the proof one need some. You are just being obtuse. That's your MO.

mark

Answer this. Why is the Big ten always the underdog in most of the bowl games? I will answer it for you, because I know you will not give an honest reply. Its because none of their bowl games are played in the Midwest. If the Michigan FSU game was played in Michigan, instead of florida, I believe Michigan would've won. If The rose bowl was played in Pennsylvania, instead of southern cali, I believe Penn State would've won. Of course that it just my opinion based on how close those games were.

I will agree that the ACC had a great year, and has a good case for being the best conference for now.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

In reading this thread, it's time to call it a season and move on... Seems we should all agree to that instead of turning this into a miserable read that should just be deleted.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

mark

Answer this. Why is the Big ten always the underdog in most of the bowl games? I will answer it for you, because I know you will not give an honest reply. Its because none of their bowl games are played in the Midwest. If the Michigan FSU game was played in Michigan, instead of florida, I believe Michigan would've won. If The rose bowl was played in Pennsylvania, instead of southern cali, I believe Penn State would've won. Of course that it just my opinion based on how close those games were.

I will agree that the ACC had a great year, and has a good case for being the best conference for now.

A lot of what you say has germs of truth to it and I understand where you are coming from at least. But, I don't plan on expending any energy on things I can't control like where Bowl Games are played.

mark

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

You are using the old trick of the bowl games they win mean something (Minnesota beat WSU, they should be ranked!), but the games they lose are meaningless.

If you think the CFP semi-finals are meaningless, I don't know what to say any further.

• Options

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

You are using the old trick of the bowl games they win mean something (Minnesota beat WSU, they should be ranked!), but the games they lose are meaningless.

If you think the CFP semi-finals are meaningless, I don't know what to say any further.

You completely have no clue what I was saying. It was Larryallen who said bowl games are meaningless.

• Options

So for the record, in your opinion, the bowls do have meaning.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why people say bowl games are meaningless exhibition games. Isn't the reason you play the whole season, to try to get into the best bowl game possible? To me the bowl game is the climax of your teams season whether it's the outback bowl or the rose bowl.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

Does anyone know how many games the sec was favored in their bowls? They went 6-7.

• Options

@orioles93 said:
    Not sure why people say bowl games are meaningless exhibition games. Isn't the reason you play the whole season, to try to get into the best bowl game possible? To me the bowl game is the climax of your teams season whether it's the outback bowl or the rose bowl.

The reason people say bowl games are meaningless is so that when the teams they like lose them, they can avoid any accountability.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2017 9:09AM

@garnettstyle said:
    Does anyone know how many games the sec was favored in their bowls? They went 6-7.

These were favorites in there games:

Mississippi St
    Texas A&M
    Tennessee
    LSU
    Alabama
    Florida

I think you also meant to ask how many games the ACC were favored in their Bowl Games. Luckily for you I know:

The ACC was favored in 5 of their 12 games. So they were predicted to go 5-7. They went 9-3. Why can't they Big Ten ever do that would be my question?

The only favorites were NCST, Pittsburgh, Miami, VT and GT. They won 4 of those

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

These were favorites in there games:

Mississippi St
    Texas A&M
    Tennessee
    LSU
    Alabama
    Florida

I think you also meant to ask how many games the ACC were favored in their Bowl Games. Luckily for you I know:

The ACC was favored in 5 of their 12 games. So they were predicted to go 5-7. They went 9-3. Why can't they Big Ten ever do that would be my question?

The only favorites were NCST, Pittsburgh, Miami, VT and GT. They won 4 of those

mark

It sounds like the ACC "held serve." :)

• Options

As they should. Look at how many bowls are in ACC country.

Sec didn't hold serve because they were favored in most of their games. Bama was favored twice.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

By this logic, the Big 10 will never have a bad bowl season. Even when their top three teams all lose and their only team to make the final Four gets shut out and steamrolled by a team from the lousy ACC, it was a successful bowl season because all those bowl games took place in Southern climates. Clemson's win of course was in Arizona, about 2000 miles from South Carolina.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2017 3:38AM

@garnettstyle said:

As they should. Look at how many bowls are in ACC country.

The Clemson / OSU game was in Arizona, far from ACC country. Clemson won 31-0.
    Would have had the same result if they had played at the Columbus Ohio Walmart parking lot.

• Options

Can we get a TOP 10 EXCUSES WHY WE LOST ?

I can think of two.

1. Home field advantage....we would have won if we had played in our sandbox..... :'(
    2. Bad weather....if it hadn't rained we would have kicked their butt.