Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    Big ten might have been deepest conference but they held serve? Ohio state and Michigan were both favored and lost. Nebraska got beat by a weak Tennessee team, Iowa got blown out by Florida. Northwestern has the most impressive win for the conference so far. Penn State might help if they can win the Rose Bowl.

I think the bowl season suggests that the conferences were pretty even this year. Big 12 and ACC are doing better than expected . SEC by their standards is having a down year but I still wouldn't want to play in the SEC West.

There is a reason why the big ten teams are almost always the underdog in bowl games. They are always the road team. Why do you think USC has more rose bowl wins than any other team? They get to play the game in their backyard. Huge advantage.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Big ten was only favored in three bowl games, so they held serve.

ACC won the most games for a change, but really wins over Vanderbilt, Kentucky, temple, and Maryland are not what I call impressive.

Wow, just wow !!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2017 11:32PM

@garnettstyle said:

ACC won the most games for a change, but really wins over Vanderbilt, Kentucky, temple, and Maryland are not what I call impressive.

Wow this is some of your best creative writing to date. The Big Ten was favored in four games. (Michigan, Maryland, Ohio State and Wisconsin). They went 3-7 in Bowl Games. Embarrassing.

The Big Ten beat the following teams and wait for it....... Western
    Michigan # 15 ( MAC 0-6 in bowls) , Washington St (unranked) and #23 Pittsburgh that is it. Is that supposed to be impressive?

The ACC beat #6 Michigan, #3 Ohio State and #16 West Virginia amongst their 8-3 record. And BTW Temple was #24.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2017 11:32PM

@breakdown said:
    Big ten might have been deepest conference but they held serve? Ohio state and Michigan were both favored and lost. Nebraska got beat by a weak Tennessee team, Iowa got blown out by Florida. Northwestern has the most impressive win for the conference so far. Penn State might help if they can win the Rose Bowl.

I think the bowl season suggests that the conferences were pretty even this year. Big 12 and ACC are doing better than expected . SEC by their standards is having a down year but I still wouldn't want to play in the SEC West.

The ACC was the best conference this year top to bottom in my opinion. The Bowl season backed it up.

The irony is that the Big Ten East was supposed to be the best division in college football this season and that the Big Ten West was much weaker. Funny thing happened in Bowl season. The Big Ten East went 0-5. The West had the Big Tens only three wins.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2017 8:33AM

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:
    Bowl standings so far.

ACC - 5-1
    Big 12 - 3-1
    Big 10 - 2-2
    PAC 12 - 1-2
    SEC - 1-4

Since you are keeping score:

ACC 8-3
    BIG 12 3-2
    SEC. 5-5
    PAC 12. 2-3
    BIG 10 2-5
    MAC. 0-5

mark

With one game left the standings garnettstyle started updated:

ACC 8-3
    Big 12 4-2
    PAC 12 3-3
    SEC 6-6
    BIg 10 3-7

mark

• Options

@breakdown said:
    Big ten might have been deepest conference but they held serve?

His bar is obviously not set very high

mark

• Options

Mark, michigan was favored BEFORE jabrill peppers decided he wanted to hide in the press box lol. And Maryland favored in any game is laughable at best. Boston college had better wins. Ohio state was the only disappointment. Iowa played bad but Florida went 6-0 at home this year.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 12:13AM

@Barndog said:
    Anyone else watching the Rose Bowl? Wow! Great entertainment!

Incredible. This was needed after the College Football Playoff delivered two dreary mismatches two days earlier.

Blessed with only two great Bowl Games this entire Bowl season and the Big Ten was on the short end of both of them. (FSU/MICH and PSU and USC. As a Michigan fan I could do without being on the losing end of Instant Classics. We lost three games this year ( one in OT at OSU and two by one point including the Orange Bowl). Add in the MSU game last year and I could do without losing so brutally. Give me a beat down. That I handle better.

Penn State I feel you. Brutal. I'm at LAX now on a red eye to JFK. Lots of Nitanny Lions fans in game garb in the boarding area. Trying not to make eye contact.

mark

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 12:43AM

@garnettstyle said:
    Mark, michigan was favored BEFORE jabrill peppers decided he wanted to hide in the press box lol. And Maryland favored in any game is laughable at best. Boston college had better wins. Ohio state was the only disappointment. Iowa played bad but Florida went 6-0 at home this year.

Fantasy.

I deal in facts. Michigan still should have won. It's on them, not one player. Michigan was favored by 7. Peppers as great as he is not worth 8 points.

Fact. Maryland was a two point favorite. BC and Maryland were both 6-6 going into the game. They both stink. What of it? One was supposed to be less stinky.

You spinning a 3-7 Big Ten Bowl season as being ok is entertaining. Though I'm not surprised by the spin nor the results.

Michigan beat Florida 41-7 in Florida last year. So winning in the Sunshine State ain't that tough. Iowa could have at least shown up. The game was in Tampa BTW, not Gainesville. Huge difference.

mark

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 12:42AM

Before the bowl games, the big ten was ranked number 1 in the power conferences. But still the underdog in most of the bowls.

Boston college had wins over two bowl champions. Marylands best win was against a 3 win team.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 1:37AM

@garnettstyle said:
    Before the bowl games, the big ten was ranked number 1 in the power conferences. But still the underdog in most of the bowls.

Boston college had wins over two bowl champions. Marylands best win was against a 3 win team.

Not my fault the betting public and the odds makers made Maryland the favorite. I don't make the lines. Fact is Maryland was the favorite.

The BIg Ten failed the eye test and passed the smell test. They stunk it up.

Penn State didn't lose their Rose Bowl game because they played in California against USC . Michigan didn't los

mark

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

The bowl games are over so now...

Who is going to win the championship game?

I really can't see Alabama losing so I have to go with them. I know it's boring since they are favored by about a touchdown.

I heard Kiffin on Mike and Mike this morning. What a clown that guy is. He's such a slime. Fact is he got fired a week before the championship game.

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

If you think the Big Ten "held serve" this bowl season, you have a lower opinion of the Big Ten they any commenter on this board. This was a horrendous bowl season in all ways for the Big Ten. Michigan played a gutty game to stay in it and have a chance at the end, but their OL was absolutely dominated in that game. Wisconsin did not bully WMU as I expected. Penn State played a nice back and forth game with USC but couldn't finish in the end.

Aggregate score of the last two Big Ten performances in the CFP. 69-0. But they were on the "road", so I guess that is OK.

• Options

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

If you think the Big Ten "held serve" this bowl season, you have a lower opinion of the Big Ten they any commenter on this board. This was a horrendous bowl season in all ways for the Big Ten. Michigan played a gutty game to stay in it and have a chance at the end, but their OL was absolutely dominated in that game. Wisconsin did not bully WMU as I expected. Penn State played a nice back and forth game with USC but couldn't finish in the end.

Aggregate score of the last two Big Ten performances in the CFP. 69-0. But they were on the "road", so I guess that is OK.

My new hero. There is still some sanity still left in the world. Thank you

mark

• Options

I just don't see how the Big Ten's performance is even remotely defendable. After the decent start with Minnesota and NW getting good wins and close call for Indiana against a superior Utah team, the past weekend was an absolute train wreck.

There is no shining this turd. 3-7 sucks, no matter how you try and slice it.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PM770 said:

@garnettstyle said:

Ding ding. We have a winner. Truth speaks.

By the way, being a Big12 guy, I have had to deal with quite a few seasons of underwhelming bowl performances. It leaves a lousy taste but you go forward and admit your conference has issues. And speaking of the Big12, I have to deal with a KU guy taking four steps on his way to the winning basket over my team tonight. And Bill Self with a straight face saying I don't know if it was traveling or not. Unbelievable...

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2017 2:04AM

Minnesota fired coach Tracy clayes after a 9-4 season. Clayes was 2-0 in bowl games.

Ohio state to hire former Indiana coach Kevin Wilson as offensive coordinator. Indiana led the big ten in offense three straight years under Wilson.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

based only on the way the Big 10 Teams played in the Bowl Games it would appear that the voters got the ranking wrong where the Big 10 Teams were concerned. they should probably have been ranked:
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Ohio State

it is, of course, impossible to tell how the Teams would have played and won/lost if the Bowls they played in were different, but Penn State and Michigan could hardly have played worse. the Clemson game would probably have ended differently, with Clemson still winning, and Ohio State most likely would have lost even if they played The Little Sisters of The Poor, they sucked THAT bad.

to garnettstyle --- I am an OSU homer, but facts is facts.........................Urban Meyer and his staff gave the Team little chance to win on offense and no one, not one single player on that side of the ball stepped up. NOONE!!! the defense played heroically for a little over a half, but they needed some help.

it is time for you to be honest for a moment.

• Options

Keets, what have I said that wasn't honest? I said ohio state played bad. They still had one of the best non conference wins this year over the big 12 and sugar bowl champions.

I expected the big ten to win five bowl games. They won three and three others were coin flip games.

• Options

@keets said:
    based only on the way the Big 10 Teams played in the Bowl Games it would appear that the voters got the ranking wrong where the Big 10 Teams were concerned. they should probably have been ranked:
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Ohio State

Based on their bowl performances, maybe the good thing that will come out of this is more credit will be given to conference championships and head-to-head victories which were ignored in the Ohio State-Penn State comparison. I've been very uncomfortable with that since the final rankings, and thought the committee set a very poor precedent in leaving Penn State out in favor of Ohio State. Championship need to matter. And I say that as an Ohio State fan.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Minnesota fired coach Tracy clayes after a 9-4 season. Clayes was 2-0 in bowl games.

And 0-1 for handling of team boycott amid sexual assault allegations. He played both sides. Dumb.

Mark

• Options

@PM770 said:

@keets said:
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Ohio State

Based on their bowl performances, maybe the good thing that will come out of this is more credit will be given to conference championships and head-to-head victories which were ignored in the Ohio State-Penn State comparison. I've been very uncomfortable with that since the final rankings, and thought the committee set a very poor precedent in leaving Penn State out in favor of Ohio State. Championship need to matter. And I say that as an Ohio State fan.

Getting blown out by Michigan and beat by Pitt means you don't get invited to the playoffs. Playoff teams are selected before the bowl games.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

Getting blown out by Michigan and beat by Pitt means you don't get invited to the playoffs. Playoff teams are selected before the bowl games.

Before the bowl games, Penn State was Big Ten Champions with a win over Ohio State.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@PM770 said:

@keets said:
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Ohio State

Yes playoff teams are selected before the Bowl Games. There is always going to be two losers in the semi finals. That's exactly what I told you last year. However, last year you said that the results of the playoff games proved the committee got it wrong. You were especially critical that Oklahoma got blown out by Clemson. What a difference a year makes. Using your logic the committee got it wrong again this year and didn't get the four best teams.

I think everyone here agrees that PSU was the hotter team and that they beat OSU and they won the BIG TEN Championship. So it's not far fetched to say they deserved to be in instead of OSU. It's also safe to say Penn State vs Clemson would have been a more entertaining and intriguing game before or after the fact. That's a game I would have attended.

mark

• Options

Judging by the USC game, Clemson would've scored 60 against penn state lol.

• Options

Clemson players sexually violated ohio state players. Pretty sad that Dabo would allow this kind of behavior. 3 instances caught on video.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2017/01/78952/not-just-samuel-boulware-violated-another-osu-player-during-the-fiesta-bowl

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Clemson players sexually violated ohio state players. Pretty sad that Dabo would allow this kind of behavior. 3 instances caught on video.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2017/01/78952/not-just-samuel-boulware-violated-another-osu-player-during-the-fiesta-bowl

That's horrible. If that hadn't happened I bet Ohio State would have scored a field goal to make the game more respectable. Lol.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2017 2:36PM

Clemson, how could you?

• Options

Clemson, how could you?

this, I believe, is what the Alabama faithful will be saying after the game on Monday. judging only from the Championship last year and the semi's this year, Clemson seems like a stronger Team and Alabama seems like a weaker Team. I know that Alabama lost some key, key players on offense at QB/RB/WR that can't be replaced in one year. what did Clemson lose???

• Options

@keets said:
    Clemson, how could you?

this, I believe, is what the Alabama faithful will be saying after the game on Monday. judging only from the Championship last year and the semi's this year, Clemson seems like a stronger Team and Alabama seems like a weaker Team. I know that Alabama lost some key, key players on offense at QB/RB/WR that can't be replaced in one year. what did Clemson lose???

Clemson had 9 players drafted last year. Only OSU had more (12). The most notable losses were Shaq Lawson 19th pick overall, Kevin Dodd, Mackenzie Alexander and TJ Green. All went on day one.

For the record Scarsbrough for Alabama rushed for 180 yards on 19 carrries vs Washington in the semis. Alabama didn't miss a beat at RB.

mark

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Judging by the USC game, Clemson would've scored 60 against penn state lol.

And they probably would have put up 57 points against Clemson.

mark

• Options
    edited January 5, 2017 5:31PM

@larryallen73 said:

@garnettstyle said:

That's horrible. If that hadn't happened I bet Ohio State would have scored a field goal to make the game more respectable. Lol.

I love elevenwarriors. It's my favorite fictional website. Seriously it's a riot. When I need a laugh it's where I go.

It is true that Clemson physically violated every OSU player on both sides of the ball.

mark

• Options

Alabama didn't miss a beat at RB.

Football is funny.

I think part of the reason Alabama had success was the fact that Washington offered only a little more Offense than OSU. that game really shifted --- FAST --- just before the half when 'bama took that pick in for a TD. prior to that it was close even though it seemed like the Tide was dominating. I actually expected Washington to move down and try to tie with a FG.

similarly, the Buckeyes defense played pretty well considering what they were forced to do, with one three-and-out after another. that's why I think this Championship should be good, neither Team should be in a position to dominate the other and runaway with the score. I hardly expect to see a defensive struggle but it wouldn't surprise me

• Options

I think Alabama and Clemson are both better then last year. Both have improved. Hoping for a barn burner

Mark

• Options

Alabama's defense sure is stout, but do you really think their Offense is better than last year??

• Options

I think their offense is probably 85 percent of last year and their defense is 30 percent better then last year.

M

• Options

When Saban let Kiffin go I thought, well, that's it. After the last few days of listening to those close at Alabama I feel better about this game. Sark has been there all season and knows the offense inside and out. Our defense is better this year and they are still pissed about their performance last year. Saban said yesterday that this weeks practices have been the best all season and the offensive players are pumped about Sark.

Clemson is very good and they are hungry, very hungry. I think if our freshman qb can hit some 15-20 yard passes during the game we'll be ok. If he can't get it going it's going to be hard to beat Clemson. I think our defense, being as fast as they are, will give Watson problems.

All that being said, I say
    Alabama 38
    Clemson 34

• Options

Alabama 38
    Clemson 34

I won't make a final score guess, but I think it'll be lower than that. my over/under is 52-50.

• Options
    edited January 6, 2017 1:09PM

@keets said:
    Alabama 38
    Clemson 34

I won't make a final score guess, but I think it'll be lower than that. my over/under is 52-50.

You're probably right and I hope you're right. The lower the better for us, I hope.
    I wear crimson glasses so my scores are never right. I'd love to see a low scoring game with great defense. Our 10-0 win over LSU was my favorite game of the year, so far.

• Options

I think Clemson will sell out to stop the run and make Hurts try to beat them with him arm. Much like they did against Ohio State and Barrett.

Alabama may need to win with a defensive TD and or multiple turnovers. Watson is prone to them. Intriguing game.

mark

• Options

Mark, just going from their season record I would say the odds of Alabama scoring a defensive TD are very, very high.

also, your comment about Barrett may be correct. I have doing some mental review in my head the last few days and he had a very bad habit all season of missing open receivers downfield. Dabo Swiney probably played the odds while at the same time Meyer was reluctant to allow Barrett to throw, especially anything past 10 yards downfield.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I think Clemson will sell out to stop the run and make Hurts try to beat them with him arm. Much like they did against Ohio State and Barrett.

Alabama may need to win with a defensive TD and or multiple turnovers. Watson is prone to them. Intriguing game.

mark

This is exactly the way I expect the game to go. If Watson can avoid a Pick 6, I think Clemson has a great chance to win.

• Options

Here is the HOF college class of 2017

Notre Dame LB Bob Crable (1978-1981)
    San Diego State RB Marshall Faulk (1991-1993)
    Michigan State WR Kirk Gibson (1975-1978)
    USC QB Matt Leinart (2003-2005)
    Tennessee QB Peyton Manning (1994-1997)
    Texas OL Bob McKay (1968-69)
    Texas A&M LB Dat Nguyen (1995-1998)
    Georgia Southern RB Adrian Peterson (1998-2001)
    Boston College NT Mike Ruth (1982-1985)
    New Mexico LB Brian Urlacher (1996-1999)

– Former Clemson and Arkansas coach Danny Ford
    – Former Mount Union coach Larry Kehres –
    Former Duke, Florida and South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier

mark

• Options

Good luck Bullsitter!

mark

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell of a game. Congratulations Clemson.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

GREAT game. They wore them out.

Watson was the man

Congrats Clemson!

mark

• Options

Congrats to Clemson, they didn't give up and pulled it out. Just got beat by the better team. Mighty sad for Bama but I'm proud of Dabo. Now I'm going to cry some more tears in my beer.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

after a stinker of a wildcard weekend in the NFL, that was a refreshingly well-fought game, quite entertaining to say the least!

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

What a 4th quarter! Congrats to Clemson and their alumni and fans.

This game was worthy of every second of buildup and hype.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great game,despite the annoying triple split screen provided by ESPN. Announcers and sideline reporters kept falling over/interrupting each other verbally to get their say in. Distracting.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".