Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1955 Topps Cello Pack RIP -- CLEMENTE GRADED

Comments

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    For those that wanted to see that last card... here she is in all her off-center glory. I still can't wrap my head around this.. that Clemente was tucked between this guy and the Baumholtz. Just crazy.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    And before I pack it in for the night, thought I'd share another (nicer) scan of the front and back. Thanks to all again!!

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The back is as great as the front.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    What, you found a second clemente?!?!imageimage
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Originally posted by: Griffins
    Greatest. Rip. Ever.

Wait a minute, Anthony, you forgot about Manny's rip! LOL..

lol, I watch the video of Manny's rip every few months. He's having so much fun it's impossible to watch without smiling.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    my oh my!! Josh cannot believe you had the stones to rip it. So happy for you pal. Just goes to show you--that ripping is worth it !!!!!!

Well except my epic rip-----
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I just went through this thread again and it was just as great as last night. What are the odds of pulling a centered Clemente during a run of off centered cards? The fact that you pulled two Mays in the same pack is mind blowing. It appears that the back of the Clemente is centered better than the front. Unbelievable. Fingers crossed for solid grades from PSA. Good luck.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    fantastic!!!! congrats!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty Awesome - Congrats!!
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Great Rip!! Oh boy, I'm getting that urge again
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Suffice to say anyone considering the purchase and busting of a very old vintage pack just gained a larger audience. image
  • Options
    OUCH! A friend just sent me this link. I almost hate to admit this, but I AM THE UNDERBIDDER!
    I really want to be happy for Josh.....but...... image
  • Options
    Wow, awesome rip! This thread belongs in the CU HOF.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Incredible!! Good luck with the grades.

Does anyone have a link to Manny's that they could post please?
  • Options
    Great break. Maybe write to Topps to complain about the collation and see what they say.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Josh thank you for sharing this rip with us. What an amazing thrill this must have been for you.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Simply Amazing!

I think you need to win the 1957 Basketball pack in the SCP Auction. I'm sure there is a Russell in there just waiting for you to pull!
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Just awesome... thanks for sharing! Does this start the 24 days of ripping before Christmas? Who's next?
    Matt

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    You can't beat finding a Clemente rookie in 2015, but as a kid in 1955, I'd have been way more thrilled

with TWO Milwaukee Braves.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: byronscott4ever
    Great break. Maybe write to Topps to complain about the collation and see what they say.

I bet they offer to buy the pack back from him...for a nickel!
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First...thank you for sharing the rip with us. I saw this thread yesterday afternoon
    ...before you ripped it. Before going to bed last night...I checked to see how
    you had done. It was very enjoyable scrolling down the thread and seeing each card in the pack one by one. It must have been very disappointing to pull two Willie Mays cards...only to find them off centered. Card after card...the centering stayed consistent...badly off centered. Then...just as it appeared you had taken a considerable loss...a centered card appears...AND amazingly it is a Clemente rookie...a card in the 1955 set that is NOTORIOUSLY off centered!
    I did not believe what my eyes had just seen...congrats on the hit! Despite the dirty ink line...the card presents incredibly well. Pack fresh look with sharp corners...and very nice color...and darn good centering. I also like how bright the back of the card looks...no yellowing. When I awoke this morning...I checked the thread again...just to make sure I had not dreamt this rip. Again...congrats on the pull...you have a lot of guts ripping a $2k dollar pack. I am glad you awarded for taking the risk. Do you plan to keep it or sell it?

Monte
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Anybody dare guess a grade? My guess 9PD or straight 8.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1980s collector...I agree with your assessment. 9pd or straight 8. I would only deduct one grade for the single print line since the card scores so high in all other areas. Great eye appeal!
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, before anyone rails on me for my stupidity in ripping this,

I think you're good here, J. lol

24 hrs later and I still haven't quite wrapped my mind around this one. You may have single-handedly galvanized unopened prices after yesterday. image

• Options
    Congrat's PSA 8
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    The majority of you guys have more experience than me but I don't see how it doesn't get a PD distinction...I've seen better get a PD...To me a PSA 9PD with the eye appeal on that would be phenomonal. Still just so blown away at all aspects of the luck on scoring that card with the centering amongst all heavy OCs, oh and it was Clemente...If I didn't watch in real time I wouldn't believe it.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I believe it will receive a PSA 8pd or perhaps a 7pd
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how that Clemente will get a straight 8. The print line is too large to be ignored at the 8 level. Maybe a straight 7 but I'd definitely take the qualifier and go for a 9.
  • Options
    Might want to take a gander at the registration, too. There are bands of color along Clemente's portrait shot. So, would they knock it down for that?

8(PD) seems logical. Maybe a straight 6.5

I've been wrong before. Very wrong. image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: belz
    Still just so blown away at all aspects of the luck on scoring that card with the centering amongst all heavy OCs, oh and it was Clemente...If I didn't watch in real time I wouldn't believe it.

Honestly, that's what my mind keeps coming back to. We didn't really watch it in real time. We "watched" as scans were posted, but there is no video to accompany this break. How did that card end up packaged with those cards. The characteristics of the Clemente when compared to the characteristics of the other 19 cards almost couldn't be more night and day.

* dead centered, front and back, vs 95/5 or miscut on the rest

* registration off on the Clemente but not on the others

* roller marks on the Clemente but not on any other card

I'm a little surprised this isn't being talked about. Seems a little like it might be the elephant in the room. I have no relationship with the OP, no axe to grind. Without the Clemente it would still have been an absolutely amazing break. However, that particular card just doesn't seem to fit with that cello.

I really, really want to believe all of these cards came from the same pack. I hope I'm not just being my usual cynical self.
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I say straight psa 7. That's the last card I need for my Clemente basic set. You can send it to me- thanks
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TNP777
    Still just so blown away at all aspects of the luck on scoring that card with the centering amongst all heavy OCs, oh and it was Clemente...If I didn't watch in real time I wouldn't believe it.

Honestly, that's what my mind keeps coming back to. How did that card end up packaged with those cards. The characteristics of the Clemente when compared to the characteristics of the other 19 cards almost couldn't be more night and day.

I'm guessing the sequence broke right before that one. The last card doesn't fit in with the rest of the pack either with the direction it was miscut.
  • Options
    Get out of my thoughts, Geordie. GET OUT! image
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    I was blown away by the sheer guts it takes to rip the pack. But am now just left in stunned, shocked disbelief. Floored, just floored. Thank god you decided to post it. The suspense of going card by card made it so much sweeter for the audience here. Congratulations on an amazing experience.
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I've had the same thought, Geordie. I'm a skeptic by nature too, but holding hope that this is completely legit for how epic this would be. The OP has major marbles to bust a pack like that.

It's interesting when you look at the pack from the Huggins auction. You can see a pattern in how the cards lay in the pack - almost like a vending pattern in the pack. It seems to reason to assume that these would represent sequence breaks? Eventhough we didn't get exact sequence replication in front of the 2nd Mays, the condition definitely fits. The last sequence in the pack seems to only be two or three cards deep. Could they have been packaged in a different manner than the rest of the pack? Quality control certainly wasn't a huge priority back then.
  • Options
    You're right about the pattern. It changes every 5 cards. 3 on top and 2 on the bottom face the same direction.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    A little late but...wow!!!! and congrats!
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, must be an amazing feeling.

I showed my buddy this thread, he's not a collector at all (more of a gambler) and he's now trying to convince me to go halfsies on a vintage pack lol.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TNP777

Honestly, that's what my mind keeps coming back to. We didn't really watch it in real time. We "watched" as scans were posted, but there is no video to accompany this break. How did that card end up packaged with those cards. The characteristics of the Clemente when compared to the characteristics of the other 19 cards almost couldn't be more night and day.

* dead centered, front and back, vs 95/5 or miscut on the rest

* registration off on the Clemente but not on the others

* roller marks on the Clemente but not on any other card

I'm a little surprised this isn't being talked about. Seems a little like it might be the elephant in the room. I have no relationship with the OP, no axe to grind. Without the Clemente it would still have been an absolutely amazing break. However, that particular card just doesn't seem to fit with that cello.

I really, really want to believe all of these cards came from the same pack. I hope I'm not just being my usual cynical self.

If I were to ever rip a 4 figure pack you can guarantee it would be on tape lol. I hope he gets a 8-9 and this thread has a happy ending but I hear what your saying.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Holy cow, just found this... amazing find on the Clemente, congrats!!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

I too would go with the possible Qualifier.

Good luck on the grades!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Just seeing this! WOW!!!
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    The bottom of the Johnny Riddle card I thought might be a part of a Harmon Killebrew rookie! But might just be Bunky Stewart. I looked up some sheets to see but couldn't find one with Killebrew or Riddle. Looks like a Washington Nationals card for sure.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Some vewry tough high number cards too but that centering is a killer. Beautiful cards nonetheless and that Mays . . .

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: kingbeeswax
    The bottom of the Johnny Riddle card I thought might be a part of a Harmon Killebrew rookie! But might just be Bunky Stewart. I looked up some sheets to see but couldn't find one with Killebrew or Riddle. Looks like a Washington Nationals card for sure.

I thought the same thing regarding Killebrew. It may have been wishful thinking and in a world where you can pull two Mays and a Clemente in the same '55 pack why not add in a Killebrew also?

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    If the Clemente is notoriously OC thiis pack makes perfect sense. When a pack is centered properly you get a Clemente that is grossly OC. You get a pack that is largely OC you get a centered Clemente. That is my theory anyway.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing and it looks like you got Nikklos fired up & that's always good for this board.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1980scollector
    If the Clemente is notoriously OC thiis pack makes perfect sense. When a pack is centered properly you get a Clemente that is grossly OC. You get a pack that is largely OC you get a centered Clemente. That is my theory anyway.

Mine too- and one proved by uncut sheets.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Is it just me, or is there writing on back of the Clemente card?