Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1955 Topps Cello Pack RIP -- CLEMENTE GRADED

123457»

Comments

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Thanks image. Long story, but likely headed for a job in the business sector after getting my license..
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stewie
    Perhaps the OP would care to adjust the title of his thread to include "+ Obsessive Mantle Fanatics Discussing Mantles Again". Geez, guys. Give it a rest. The entire forum knows you all love your expensive Mickey cards. Could the OP be allowed to have his "Clemente" thread be just that?

Wow! That's all I can say. My post was strictly from a comparison standpoint since the card I posted falls in the same category as the Clemente, and just happens to be a Mantle card - who is the most heavily collected player. As I pointed out my example dropped in grade for the same reasons - grade card with strong eye appeal, centering, corners... but one visible issue dropped it several grades - same as the Clemente. That was the entire point of it. I would say if you have an issue with people collecting Mantle cards this will be a tough hobby to enjoy.

My post should be the least of the worries on this thread, and I think TNP's earliest post with questions asks a lot of good points about the pack and card. No one doubts it is a great card, but several have pointed out things that might not add up. In the end some great marketing for sure on this one.
  • Options
    OK. image
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

Wow! That's all I can say....I think TNP's earliest post with questions asks a lot of good points about the pack and card. No one doubts it is a great card, but several have pointed out things that might not add up. In the end some great marketing for sure on this one.

No issue here with using a Mantle (or any) card as an example, but to insinuate the OP faked the rip to market the card better for himself just isn't right. The OP graciously shared his 1955 rip, which I am thankful for. How many of these do we get to see?

• Options
    Very much appreciate the sentiment Patrick, but I took no offense to those who questioned the legitimacy of the rip. All the ideas that followed from that premise were reasonable given the lack of knowledge about me/my intentions. The rip was truly other-worldly. While the sequencing, centering, star power, etc. all made very little sense, it was easy to dismiss when I had a nicely centered '55 Clemente staring me in the face. I only wish the rest of this community could have experienced the same.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

Wow! That's all I can say....I think TNP's earliest post with questions asks a lot of good points about the pack and card. No one doubts it is a great card, but several have pointed out things that might not add up. In the end some great marketing for sure on this one.

No issue here with using a Mantle (or any) card as an example, but to insinuate the OP faked the rip to market the card better for himself just isn't right. The OP graciously shared his 1955 rip, which I am thankful for. How many of these do we get to see?

Fair enough and I can see your points. I think the OP has been very genuine with his comments on the board since posting the pack, and even acknowledges there are a lot of things that seemed logical given the circumstances of the rip, cards presented... Nice thing about this board is that we can debate and have varied opinions which is a good thing for the hobby, and there are folks on here a lot smarter than I am that I enjoy learning from.

Funny thing is a couple of folks PM'd the day after the first post came up, and they flat out nailed it concerning what would transpire in the given days/week after the original post. Were they just lucky with their guesses, or was it so easy to see what was going to happen using simple logic. It is great the OP made a nice sale on the card, and that is the point of the hobby at the end of the day.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Dragnet
    Thanks image. Long story, but likely headed for a job in the business sector after getting my license..

Im confused. I know some people that went to medical school where they also had a pharmacy degree program. But they got the pharmacy degree and not a medical degree. I'm asking because I know some lawyers who have an MD/JD and it turns out that the medical degree actually didnt help them. They say it was a great waste of time and money. Did you actually get a medical degree, and how does that help in the business sector? Which sectors? Looking to change jobs myself or back to school. Thank You.
  • Options
    I received 2 degrees, an MD and an MBA in health sector policy and administration. Assuming I forgo a career in clinical medicine, the MD may very well continue to hold value, though it depends upon the direction I take. A career in medical consulting for example would likely utilize the MD far more than one in finance or policy. While I'm not certain of the path I'll go down, my intent is to find something that marries the two degrees and allows for the utilization of both skill sets.
  • Options
    Hmm. So you'll most likely pursue the business side of it vs practicing medicine sounds like. Interesting. Do you have a set amount of time to do a residency? Or even want to. Thats the one thing I can't get the answer to. I know one guy who went back and got his MBA after practicing for awhile. But that was to run his own practice and was a very unique situation. Just trying to decide if its worth it. Especially after the enormous amount of time already given to it. The straight MBA's have their own thoughts. As do the MD's. Thanks and good luck.
  • Options
    Sent you a PM baseballcardkid --- discussion is better suited there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

Fair enough and I can see your points. I think the OP has been very genuine with his comments on the board since posting the pack, and even acknowledges there are a lot of things that seemed logical given the circumstances of the rip, cards presented... Nice thing about this board is that we can debate and have varied opinions which is a good thing for the hobby, and there are folks on here a lot smarter than I am that I enjoy learning from.

Funny thing is a couple of folks PM'd the day after the first post came up, and they flat out nailed it concerning what would transpire in the given days/week after the original post. Were they just lucky with their guesses, or was it so easy to see what was going to happen using simple logic. It is great the OP made a nice sale on the card, and that is the point of the hobby at the end of the day.

I do think KendallCat is correct. I agree for the reasons that have been stated.

In short.

1. The Centering just doesn't match
    2. The wear of the RC doesn't match the other 19 cards.
    3. The sequencing. Including the odds and presentation are astronomical.

Kendall and other respected members here think its suspect. This has been said. And they continue.

But also, Maybe the OP is genuine. He comes across as genuine. Although so did Madoff and every one who has fooled others. Im not sure about the money reason as some suggest but maybe to get the attention it garners. Who knows why men do what they do. But it is a fact that fraudsters do.

Summary. Kendall I side with and believe especially since he is about the only one to speak publicly about it. And continues to stand by his guns.
    But maybe the OP is also legit and ripped a sealed pack. And maybe that pack was resealed by someone else BEFORE it got to the OP. But it was a fun ride that I enjoyed. Right up until the RC. So in the end, thanks.

As they say. When something is too good to be true it probably is.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    A board conundrum
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    I not sure I understand the logic behind selling the card. Literally a once in a lifetime pull. Money can't really be that tight if the OP is dropping almost $2k on a 55 cello pack with a popped seal. Sad way to end the thread in my mind as that card would bring back the rush of pulling it every single time the OP saw it. But to each his own.

Robb
  • Options
    And I could say your vent belongs in the vent.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were some 55 Cellos after market creations, like X-Mas packs? Would explain the sequencing issues.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: fergie23
    I not sure I understand the logic behind selling the card. Literally a once in a lifetime pull. Money can't really be that tight if the OP is dropping almost $2k on a 55 cello pack with a popped seal. Sad way to end the thread in my mind as that card would bring back the rush of pulling it every single time the OP saw it. But to each his own.

Robb

I agree. I have two 1971 PSA 8 Rose's in my set. I keep the one because it is a high end 8. I keep the other because I pulled it from a rack pack myself. There's no way to replace that card if I were to sell it.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also would never sell that clemente. The two mays, yes. But you will never get a bigger pull in your life. I would keep for sure.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gemint

Robb

I agree. I have two 1971 PSA 8 Rose's in my set. I keep the one because it is a high end 8. I keep the other because I pulled it from a rack pack myself. There's no way to replace that card if I were to sell it.

I agree with you guys x2.....lets say the pack is legit (hmmm)...Great points given by above...given the passion the OP has for cellos/unopened, which is evident spending then ripping 2000 bucks is impressive...these collectors (and us) always imagining whats in the packs we covet.....then circumstances dictate that you have to, get to rip a '55 cello!!!!.....

What other card post '55 would you want? Thats the white whale. I could argue thats the best card you could hope for in the last 60 years....and you rip a nicely centered RC!!!!....coveted, valuable, rare!!!!!

I can see a room full of unopened and this RC being the centerpiece to be shown. Cant get any better......when does this happen again.....it can always be sold (spending 2k means u don't need the $ right now, and 6k not gonna break u)......But you can not sell this card!!!...ok....thats my passion and its not even my card .....so imagine the OP's.....thats why I don't understand selling it ???????

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    I also would never sell that clemente. The two mays, yes. But you will never get a bigger pull in your life. I would keep for sure.

im not buying it. Too many red flags.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Robb

Memories can last a lifetime. Scans of cards can too. image

• Options
    Real rip, or faked rip? Joe Friday should be put on this case.

• Options
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    Originally posted by: gemint

Robb

I agree with you guys x2.....lets say the pack is legit (hmmm)...Great points given by above...given the passion the OP has for cellos/unopened, which is evident spending then ripping 2000 bucks is impressive...these collectors (and us) always imagining whats in the packs we covet.....then circumstances dictate that you have to, get to rip a '55 cello!!!!.....

What other card post '55 would you want? Thats the white whale. I could argue thats the best card you could hope for in the last 60 years....and you rip a nicely centered RC!!!!....coveted, valuable, rare!!!!!

I can see a room full of unopened and this RC being the centerpiece to be shown. Cant get any better......when does this happen again.....it can always be sold (spending 2k means u don't need the $ right now, and 6k not gonna break u)......But you can not sell this card!!!...ok....thats my passion and its not even my card .....so imagine the OP's.....thats why I don't understand selling it ???????

Great points SB. One other thing is what happened to the Mays cards in the break that went to PSA for grading. Figured we would see those two as well once they came back with Roberto. Also, agree on the no way I am selling that Clemente rookie once it gets back from grading.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    One other thing is what happened to the Mays cards in the break that went to PSA for grading. Figured we would see those two as well once they came back with Roberto.

The Clemente was sent under a different service level. I don't believe the other grades have popped yet.

• Options
    Thank you. Could not remember if all went express or just Roberto. Wonder if the corners on the Mays would possibly net a 9oc?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I 100% believe this was a legitimate rip, and a heck of a one at that (Captain Obvious). Haters gonna hate. My heart was pumping the whole time opening each page to see the next coin, much like what we hunters call "Buck Fever".

I do believe it should have graded higher and given a qualifier. Congrats all around. Good luck in the medical field in whatever capacity it is. I've been in it for 14 years.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know whether it was a fake rip or not, but the fact he's selling the Clemente is a non issue in determining fake rip or real rip.

Maybe the poster who said bring in Joe Friday was right, just the facts please.

If it was mine I would sell it, I wouldn't turn down the kind of money a psa 6 would bring.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Darin

Maybe the poster who said bring in Joe Friday was right, just the facts please.

I posted that mostly because the name of his show (Dragnet) is the same as the name of the OP. image
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm anxious to see the Mays grades. Any updates?!