Options

1955 Topps Cello Pack RIP -- CLEMENTE GRADED

Comments

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Oh my...
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Imagine the feeling of pulling a mays out of a pack. Awesome!
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

2 left and we all know the last one...
  • Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    Awsome!!! That is the best rip I have ever seen. 2 Mays in a single pack. You are the man!!!
  • Options
    Holy MOTHER
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: curch
    Imagine the feeling of pulling a mays out of a pack. Awesome!

Last time I did was about 45 years ago! HAHAHAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    You WILL NOT believe this!!!! WTF!!!!
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to drive off the road..
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    SHOW US THE THIRD WILLIE ALREADY!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Koufax????????
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Wow how awesome!!! This is a blast to watch!!
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    The card is F&^*&^ centered
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Dragnet
    The card is F&^*&^ centered

WOW!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    What?!!!! Nans?!!! Amazing?!) what?!!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    If this is real, my brain can't handle it
  • Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    I don't believe what I am seeing!!!
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I fell off my chair
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing. Proving once again that packs are made to be opened. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • Options
    Crap ... how do you think PSA will handle that black line ... because the centering and corners are AMAZING!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    That should help you break even. That's at least 5k right?
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    No friggin way!!!
  • Options
    Yahtzee.
  • Options
    this should have been you tubed!!! But amazing to be a part of it, congrats man, wow!!!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget BOOM! That's a nuclear explosion! Congrats!! Is that a print line or something that will wipe off the card? Could be a 9PD there! I can picture the scene in 1955. The hung over production manager is saying "let's throw in a decent quality no-name rookie card since we're sticking the kid with a deck of quality control rejects".
  • Options
    How in the world does that happen? A 20-card cello pack with 19/20 cards terribly off-center. Yet 1 card is somehow unscathed, near perfect centering and by god if it isn't Roberto FU&(*&( Clemente.

Unbelievable.

I've scanned again after cleaning to remove some of the artifacts from the last image. By no means a perfect card, but man o man....

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I found myself slowly scrolling down and revealing each card little by little. Saw the top of the Dodgers logo come into view and thought, "holy crap, he hit a Koufax, too!". Alas, it as only Ed Roebuck.

Then, another Mays. I had a sudden vision of a kid opening that pack back in '55 and pulling the 2nd Mays and shouting, "aw, crud - another Mays??"

Seriously, though - two Mays AND a Clemente? Wow, wow, wow! Really nice centering on Bob - too bad about that roller mark or whatever it is.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Holy sh** josh....thats just amazing!
  • Options
    Speechless!!! I can't believe what I just saw!

Especially all 19 having the same dreaded O/C and fortunately both Mays both being the "best" O.C. And yet the one card that you would want, the Clemente, being as perfect as you could hope for. Being 60/40 at worst! Congrats. I still can't believe it. Thanks for sharing.

Ship it!

• Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    This is totally unreal! I would say you got a good deal on that pack image
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    Gemint, I agree. Maybe it was a fake, resealed cello made in 1957! Where they threw in some up and coming rookie to make it look legit and to cover for the other 19 O/C's. LOL.

I did the same and just scrolled down to enjoy the experience one card at a time. Im still speechless. Agree that how in the world does that happen. What are the odds?
  • Options
    A 9 o/c (I think your card, even with that stray black line, looks a LOT BETTER) sold in July for TEN GRAND!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I vote best thread ever. Can't even imagine opening a 60 year old pack with 3 crazy monster hits...that Clemente comes back 9pd and mays 8oc(2), would be awesome but the experience is what dreams are made of. Dreams do come true.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    A 9 o/c (I think your card, even with that stray black line, looks a LOT BETTER) sold in July for TEN GRAND!!!!!

I think a 9PD would go for more. I'd sure rather have that card than a 9 OC that is 90/10.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Josh, I thought it couldn't get better than the Gretzky RC you pulled a while back, but this is incredible! Busting a pack like this is a once in a lifetime experience, and I believe you just defied the ripping gods and came out AHEAD on this one! Unbelievable!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    And the under bidder weeps ...
  • Options
    Wow. Unreal. 2 Mays and an unreal RC. But the experience was priceless! Unforgettable thread.

He pulled a Gretzky rookie also? Forget a 401k, you should be buying packs.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: graygator

And the under bidder weeps ...

I doubt the underbidder would have ripped it, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Deep breath. Ahhhhh.

The auction description mentions several key names, but excludes the 2 who actually appeared. Interesting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Stewie
    Deep breath. Ahhhhh.

The auction description mentions several key names, but excludes the 2 who actually appeared. Interesting.

Why? Aren't they in the same series? But an AH would absolutely mention Clemente being possible I would think.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Thanks for the share and CONGRATS! Last possible card and it's that gorgeous Clemente. Well done!!
    Daniel
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suffice to say this thread just moonwalked into the pantheon. Was on my way to meet a client when that Clemente flashed and I damn near uprooted a tree.

Josh -- words can't express how happy I am for you, brother!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Holy Smoking Crap!!! Best popped seal ever.

What a blessing to be able to not only enjoy ripping it, but to get those 3 hits.

I'm still trying to pick up my jaw from the floor.

Just insane!

Congrats and THANKS for sharing.

What a thrill just to eWitness.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Stewie
    Deep breath. Ahhhhh.

I found that amusing as well.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and congratulations.

I debated even posting this rip, as I've never done so before. So glad I did, as all of your encouragement and excitement made the experience that much sweeter.

Will most definitely be submitting the 2 Mays and Clemente express and will be sure to post the results when I have them. Will have to take another look at the others, but guessing I'll end subbing most of them as well as with qualifiers.
  • Options
    Congrats.

Fun read.
  • Options
    I may need to open some packs this weekend..that was so crazy
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this with us. Hands down the best rip thread I've ever seen.

You should ask for "PULLED FRESH FROM A CELLO PACK!" to be on the flip.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely amazing rip! Makes me want to go rip some packs actually. The popped seal must have been a sign those cards wanted to get out! Good luck with the submission
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies