Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1955 Topps Cello Pack RIP -- CLEMENTE GRADED

Comments

• 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you just pulled a 1955 Topps Mays. That's something that doesn't happen every day.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
    Uh, holy shat. Congrats!!!!!
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Heck, you outta have a grand between the two Mays' alone. Definitely another 7-8k minimum for Bob if I had to guess considering it's eye appeal is so nice!
    It never leaves you...
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in awe.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I would have loved to have listened to Don West announce that pack opening live on Shop at Home.

Sensational! Beyond words
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Awesome cards man. That Clemente is nice. Congrats
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a once-in-a-lifetime rip! Thanks for sharing it.

Dave
  • Wow! How many people can say they personally pulled a Clemente RC from a pack!!!!!!!!!!
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Congrats josh!!image

I'm thinking maybe you shouldve kept that Christmas stocking with the 52 cello that you won in lelands--after seeing what was in this cello I'm sure there was at least one Mantle in that one!!image
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    There are no words. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    That was a a lot of fun, thanks for sharing it

• mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Wow, way to go! Time to double down and rip another one?

------
    stupid print dots

• Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Great rip!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!! The old mascot team logos brought back some

fond memories for this old timer. Best wishes with the Clemente.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    That was epic... I thought the Mays was the icing on the cake, then you went ahead and added more icing and decided to plop some moose tracks and chocolate syrup on top of that sucker! Unreal... no wonder the seal couldn't hold any longer, the energy in that pack was intense. Congrats man!
  • Some minor print dots, not so familiar with this issue, but may very well be par for the course.

The '55 topps set is notorious for those clusters of print spots showing against the colored backgrounds.

"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    You are having a solid year after pulling Gretzky and Clemente RCs from packs. Please PM me your home address. I am going to purchase as many vintage packs as I can find and mail them to you to rip. I see a pattern here.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
    How many times have we all busted a pack and the monster is OC and the commons are centered. That is so refreshing to see it reversed in this case.
  • How ironic that one of the players you pulled, Don Farrarese lives just seven miles from me in Apple Valley, CA. While enjoying his retirement he maintains his love of baseball and owns and operates a baseball card shop called "Don Farrarese Memorabilia".
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Greatest. Rip. Ever.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Amazing. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just awesome. I don't even know what to say, other than I think I just peed a little

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Griffins

Greatest. Rip. Ever.

Wait a minute, Anthony, you forgot about Manny's rip! LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable! Congrats to you!

Not to jinx it, but Watch PSA call the Clemente min size.

Seriously - these certainly qualify as "pack fresh". Good for you!
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    So happy for you man! Congrats on this MONSTER of a pack!
  • Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    Dragnet….just sent you a PM
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... Hopefully PSA grades it..... Lol Nice card!

Edit: I only say that because any dead center vintage star card I send in get eot, minsize, authentic altered. See "you live only once thread"
  • This rip will be be talked about for years. This is amazing. Holy hell.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have balls of Iron and your hit came from a player that played in the Steel City. Congrats.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    amazing! Congrats. I hope this inspires more opening and sharing.
  • lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Wow!!
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Just got home and saw this. I couldn't even open the thread for a minute! I got nervous,then the pulls! Congratulations! Sub every one and let us know the grades on all those cards. Please. I knew you had a Mays just by the very top! But then two! Then Bob? What a score! Jonny Gomes went to Casa Grande High in Petaluma. Maybe...forget it I'm still thrilled for you! Awesome! We need balloons and beer!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Well done! Wow!
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Amazing. Congratulations! How much did that pack cost?
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! This was fun to read so thanks for sharing!
  • EPIC!! Congrats!!
    I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!
  • DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, it was certainly an incredible day. For the individual that asked the cost of the pack, it was $2030. Seeing that number, I can't believe I even ripped that sucker open.

Will be in the mail tomorrow, hopefully will have some news by early next week!
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations and thank you. Happy for you. That was awesome.
  • With the sharpness off every card, Id get everyone graded.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely amazing rip! I once pulled 2 Rafael Septiens from a 1984 Topps Football Cello pack (true story), but never two 1955 Willie Mays!
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Was the Clemente the 2nd to last card in the pack?
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Wow! Congrats to you sir! Thanks for sharing this with us. Good luck with the grades!
  • Originally posted by: lahmejoon
    Was the Clemente the 2nd to last card in the pack?

It was by following his rip. His very last unknown card. Is there a sequence, in general, with these cellos?
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    It's too bad you did not video tape the rip. It's one thing to rip a pack with some 70's or 80' star rookie in it....it is a whole other thing to rip a 50's pack with a clemente RC let alone the 2 mays cards. wow.
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 49ersGuy
    It's too bad you did not video tape the rip. It's one thing to rip a pack with some 70's or 80' star rookie in it....it is a whole other thing to rip a 50's pack with a clemente RC let alone the 2 mays cards. wow.

It would have been a great one to have on video. You'd get to relive that rip anytime you wanted!

Awesome rip, congrats!!

That got my engine running for my upcoming Christmas rips...

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Congratulations and thanks for posting. I was hoping to see a Killebrew, but 2 Mays' and a Clemente were unbelievable!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Nice to see a rip like that rewarded! Now I want to build the 55 set.

"Molon Labe"

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Josh! Man, what a thrill for you. Best of luck on the grades. Can't wait to see what the 2 Mays cards and the Clemente RC come back as.
    Steve
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    If you're looking to sell any of the cheaper ones, I'd like to buy one just to say I have a card from this epic rip!