Home Metal Detecting
Options

Parking lot finds

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @1630Boston.... A ten and two one's....Nice day in the parking lot.... ;) Usually those are found on windy days....people trying to get in the car, fumbling for keys in purse or pockets, and bills fly out...Cheers, RickO

Gave the money to my fifteen year old if he promised to put half of it in the bank :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

One day while detecting by a high school area where the kids went at lunchtime and the kids knew me somewhat as I detected that area regularly. One girl yelled at me, hey mister, come over here and look. I went over where they were and started swinging the coil. I immediately found a quarter. The girl said I knew you would find something here. I looked up and she was tossing several quarters onto the ground. I told her that was not the way I liked to find coins. She replied, Goodness, its only change! That is why so many of us find coins in school parking lots: The kids these days just don't care or are too lazy to pick up a coin they drop. Mom and Dad will give me more!!!!

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 5K walking course finds for yesterday a dime, a nickel and 3 cents. The nickel was a 1940-S. Not worth much but still and 80 year old coin laying on the street.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems .... I am just going to have to set up a different walking course....parking lots and streets have just been empty of coins lately.... Perhaps due to the coin shortage?? :D Oh well...Good finds PPC...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Walked on the HS track and took a tour of the parking lot afterwards. 3 quarters, dime nickel and 6 cents. Best I’ve done there for some time.

• Options
    MS67MS67 Posts: 35 ✭✭

I found this little gem?? shining back at me in a parking lot. Looking at it under a loop the cut looks to precise to be colored glass. I think it's a small peridot gem that probably fell out of like a Mothers day birthstone ring or something. I'm sure its not worth much but certainly a different find.

• Options
    MS67MS67 Posts: 35 ✭✭

A little better picture, maybe. My I-phone camera isn't the best for close ups.

• Options

Nice find.... So rare to find the gem..... Many are lost but few are found. Without the metal attached, they quickly vanish into the dirt. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Walked the 5K course for Thanksgiving. It’s been awhile because of walnut season. Anyway a quarter, 3 nickels and 3 cents plus a brass nozzle

• Options

@pocketpiececommems.... How's the walnut haul going this year? Cheers, RickO

• Options

Little over 24,000 pounds. Knee pads are great for this

• Options

@pocketpiececommems.... WOW!! That is a lot of nuts.... I agree about knee pads... I have found that getting older means that one cannot kneel as we did when young.... Seems no padding there... I have knee pads that I use all the time when I will be doing anything that requires kneeling. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 13, 2020 2:57PM

This mornings 5K walk gave me a quarter, dime , nickel and 3 cents. Yesterday I found a dime and a pair of Fiskars scissors.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

$20 at kroger 2 wks ago. $1 in the rain at wallymart yesterday,

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options

@pocketpiececommems ... That is a nice scissors.... Coins are always welcome.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured I'd put this into this.
    What year was the spitting eagle suspect.
    Reason is I acquired in change today.

• Options

My eyeball finds for the year 2020. 3 wheat pennies in there too.

• Options
    edited January 11, 2021 10:15PM

@pocketpiececommems said:

This mornings 5K walk gave me a quarter, dime , nickel and 3 cents. Yesterday I found a dime and a pair of Fiskars scissors.

Hey pock,
    See that nickel in your photo ? Ya , the one with the funny teeth. Looks like a 2007, but ?
    My point is , I found this Thursday 7th of Jan., 21 in my ER (Earnings Received) pocket.
    But seriously...
    Wait, Na, I cant Stop lolling, Now I need a tissue.

• Options

@pocketpiececommems .... Wow.... I need to move to your area....That is an amazing trove of bills and coins found. How many miles a day to you walk? Certainly the people in your area are either more affluent or more careless...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I think that careless would be the correct word I logged 730 walking miles last year. Doesn't count all of my Walnut miles. Lots of steps there.

• Options

@pocketpiececommems ... Well, I wish you continued good fortune in 2021. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Found my first $5 bill of the year yesterday in the snow and slush of a parking lot.

• Options

@pocketpiececommems .... Nice find.... I should make it a point to check snow/slush parking lots... tend to just rush through them - in and out of store... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Actually the only thing that I saw was the Big Red "5". Helped me :)

• Options

When I was a teenager , I worked at a formula car race track.
    Wait ! Stop ! The cars were made like something identical to a go=kart, but very fast with all time recorded from a turn style tract.
    At the end of the day we had to clean the track.
    For some reason at one end of the track the wind was always going in that direction.
    Up against the fence the trash would sit there...also the cash that emptied out of the drivers.
    Free money as they are warned to put all contents of pockets away.

• Options

@emeraldATV... Did the track cleaners all run to that spot first?? :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinstar at the grocery was empty but this was laying out in the parking lot. Free silver is always welcome even at only 35%. Looks like someone attempted to deface the obverse. Probably thought it was one of them fake nickels. :|

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude... Nice find... That kind of parking lot find is as rare as a Buffalo nickel anymore....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Found in the local HS parking lot after a big track meet last night. All of the trash had been picked up. Guess they missed it😊

• Options

Wow... Nice find... I have found a few $20 bills over the years... always exciting...Once, pulling into a strip mall, I saw a bill blow across in front of my car, stopped, jumped out and picked it up... a $20.... The car that came in the other direction had stopped when I got out... when he saw what I had, gave the the 'thumbs up' sign. Cheers, RickO

• Options

19 3/4 cents. Yesterday’s 3 mile walk

• Options

@pocketpiececommems....Thank you for finding these coins... If non-coin collectors find them, they post them on the U.S. coin forum asking how much 'this rare error cent is worth'.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a dirty used mask and a torn up lottery ticket. Left them for someone more needy.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP... I see used masks and discarded lottery tickets in the parking lots every time I go to market. A real shame that people cannot discard the garbage in the readily available containers. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Stopped by a high school on the way home from a track meet to check for coins on a sunny afternoon. Bingo 😎💰

• Options

Zinc...They melt everywhere else but not in your hands.

• Options
    DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

I seem to be like a magnet when it comes to finding valuables. I find coins all the time (without any detector help), some times in piles even. I have found numerus lost wallets, gold chains, rings, and paper money. I seem to just have this thing for it I can't explain. My brother even makes conversation about how I just seem to find what has been lost.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

• Options

@pocketpiececommems ... Wow... Nice haul...over $3 in change... Any silver?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Dgilbert ... Nice talent to have. I have found a few things - not comparable to your totals - but when I walk, either for exercise/pleasure or through parking lots, I keep my eyes on the ground (and my surroundings - not safe to be totally focused on one thing, like people with phones). So usually find change, or the occasional currency. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Had one of my better coin finding morning walks today. Found a 1961 Washington by the car wash

• Options

@pocketpiececommems ... Nice finds for a morning walk... I found a dime in the supermarket aisle day before yesterday. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

@milbroco said:
    Not really coins...............but yesterday in a parking lot I found a book of stamps. One stamp was missing. Now to mail some bills...............

Who mails checks to pay bills these days with online bill pay by the banks? Can't remember the last time I mailed a check to pay a bill.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:

@milbroco said:
    Not really coins...............but yesterday in a parking lot I found a book of stamps. One stamp was missing. Now to mail some bills...............

Who mails checks to pay bills these days with online bill pay by the banks? Can't remember the last time I mailed a check to pay a bill.

I do.

• Options

A book of stamps would be about $12. Worth picking up😎.

• Options

I parked on Main St. yesterday evening, got out of the car, and at my feet was a quarter. Not silver, but a nice 'present'....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

I came across two quarters in the parking lot the other day; That was a nice surprise.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 2:51PM

@pcgs69 said:
    I came across two quarters in the parking lot the other day; That was a nice surprise.

You suck. I found this the other day. But it still has mint luster!! 😂 🤣

Obverse

Reverse

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

It looks like it has about 1/100 or so partial rim. 😂😂

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a double struck penny yesterday in the parking lot. Looks like it was struck by a Ford then a Lincoln.

• Options

I wonder if it was a special made one by a Denver Mint employee 😂😂