Home U.S. Coin Forum

grade this beautiful 1914 buffalo nickel, which is slabbed

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
just got this outstanding 1914 buffalo nickel. try giving it a grade. 1914 buffs are noted for their crummy strikes but not this one. This coin has been slabbed.

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/_57 1_zps16r1duhv.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/_57 2_zpsbmszr92r.jpg.html]image[/URL]
Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    66. Very nice. A few tiny spots of tarnish on the buff's forehead, horn, and shoulder.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'd call it a 65

maybe on a bad day.....64
    maybe on a good day...66

very proof like but i don't think it crosses the line

awesome luster on the obverse
    the reverse luster is a lil muted

sweet color
    something tells me this is graded 64 though

regardless
    thanks for sharing it's beauty with us

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    nice coin ! hard to grade just by looking at the pics, I will say ms62
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowzer.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    65+ / 66
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a proof to me. I'll go PR65
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Great coin and full horn on that Buff. I say 66
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nice coin ! hard to grade just by looking at the pics, I will say ms62 >>

Come On! image Ya know it's better than Dat!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like grading Buffalo Nickels but I will say that one is FLASHY, especially the obverse. Looks very nice to me. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks 66 to me.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 for me. Appears to have some kind of dipping residue left over holding it back.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>62 for me. Appears to have some kind of dipping residue left over holding it back. >>

a tough one here or the under bidder
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to be on the money with gold but all over the place when I'm looking at many of the pics that get posted ( I've also never gotten a decent image myself)
    To me it looks like a super strike (but not proof) but the flash seems to suggest that it's been dipped in its life.
    Still a great coin ! probably wrong again
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    PR64
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the 66 camp here.
    Looks like a great strike and amazing luster- dripping wet!!!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a dang fine example!! I'd say MS-65+ if not 66..
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof 65.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65....Cheers, RickO
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks PR 65.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gem Uncirculated (MS65).Luster is mellowing.Looks like it's supposed to.I see some rainbow colors around the Buffalo.Solid gem.I don't think that's wear in front of the Buffalo's horn.A bit of striking weakness there keeps this piece from getting a superb gem number.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always on the fence with Matte Proof coins and will never claim to be an expert on them. Whether is Proof or MS, the grade is at least 66 with a decent shot at 67. You have to remember that the size of the spots are blown way out of proportion because of the size of the photo. My educated guess would be that this coin is MS-66 because the surfaces seem to be too bright to be a Proof.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely. Looks MS66 to me.
    Lance.
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first reaction was 66. Very nice coin.
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Looks 66 to me.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though the strike is just short of full those sharp rims indicate a proof to me. I don't, however, see the depressed line on the rev rim that's supposed to be a die marker for the matte proofs. Still, I'd say PR65.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    WAG . . . MS-66+

Beautiful coin!

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fellow collector asked me to look at this for them so I won't be the spoiler. I did advise my friend that it was the nicest 14-P on eBay at that moment at any grade. Doesn't hurt that the imaging is very well done by one our own.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WAG . . . MS-66+

Beautiful coin!

HH >>

+1
    when is it again that we find out this coin's grade???

chop-chop

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this off of ebay a few days ago and pcgs has graded it an MS62!! That is hard to swallow just looking at the pics. The straight line on the rim on the reverse that is indicative of a proof reverse die does show, though it is a bit light. It is known that proof dies were not trashed but used for some limited number of business strikes, as may be the case here. Cannot wait to get it in hand, then I will post my own thoughts here. Whatever it is, it is an attractive buff.
    buffnixx

HER IS A PHOTO OF THE OBVERSE OF THE SLAB

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/2015_57 2_zpsvszmit2h.jpg.html]image[/URL]

AND HERE IS THE REVERSE PHOTO

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/2015_57 12_zps43xk2dp8.jpg.html]image[/URL]

HERE IS THE OBVERSE PHOTO FROM THE TOP OF THIS POST

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/_57 1_zps16r1duhv.jpg.html]image[/URL]

HERE IS THE REVERSE PHOTO FROM THE TOP OF THIS POST

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/_57 2_zpsbmszr92r.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure had me fooled. I guess it's the edges of the coin that count more than anything else. That's a pretty rough grade, too.
    pretty unusual to find a coin like this that passes the proof rim test having both flat squared inner and outer rims on a buffalo and not be a proof. Certainly this coin is worthy of the adjective
    " matte prooflike "
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor spotting. Hit on the nostril. Other places?

A 2? Wow. I am floored.

Those specks above the buffalo hump may soak off with acetone.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pretty unusual to find a coin like this that passes the proof rim test having both flat squared inner and outer rims on a buffalo and not be a proof. Certainly this coin is worthy of the adjective
    " matte prooflike " >>

Agree with you on all counts. I would send it back for regrade.
    what a trainwreck of a grade there

to lasvegas teddy -- over the years i have seen so many grading trainwrecks in so called top tier slabs that i have really lost count of them.
    will reserve my final judgement on this piece till i get it in hand.

What if you received, along with the slabbed coin, a short statement of why the coin was graded the way it was, such as for this coin

A BUSINESS STRIKE FROM RETIRED MATTE PROOF DIES. DIP RESIDUE IS WHAT IS LIMITING THE GRADE TO A 62
    WHICH COULD PROBABLY BE REMOVED WITH ACETONE.

why couldnt pcgs include this with the coin?
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    so long as there wasn't a crazy bidding fest...you probably did very well
    i think the upgrade post on this will rock...please update us

yeah there are some dogs that have their day and eagles that get their wings snipped in the grading land of OZ
    i find our host runs a great consistency rate for the volume they churn

huht
    i'd be happy with a simple copy of a tally the finalize'r could check off
    e.g.
    grader 1 (6537).....ms63
    grader 2 (4281).....pr62
    finalize'r (3723).....ms62

it could benefit operations and enrich grade room staff with such inside auditing

anyway
    great looking buff...excellent image...surely inhand is a safe bet on this one

and update us
    peace

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... sure looks as if a resubmission would be in order...Cheers, RickO
    I think this is an example of "market grading"

A fully struck coin that is brought down to a 62 as someone has already stated residue from having been dipped.

I think I'd acetone it (I know not a verb), put in a paper holder and try to encourage it to retone.

High grade nickel seems to dip to a flashy almost chrome plated look (that's the way those that I've done turned out).

In fact the yellow that we see may already be a retoning experiment.

Retoning a dipped coin has certainly been done with a lot of high power and notable coins (bringing six figure) that were highlights of major auctions
    I certainly agree with Buffnixx that the TPG should back up the reasons for their evaluations.

Even If it was only an additional option (of course an extra fee) it's worth it for the education
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think I see a very long scratch on the cheek.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking MS64 maybe 65. Definitely no lower...I have been wrong before.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be some other impairment(s) we're not seeing in the photos. Light dip residue should not lower a grade 2-4 points by itself. I have seen plenty of seated coins with dip residue graded MS66-MS68.

Good pick up though for MS62.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    my cost was $107 including the shipping
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    can you buy acetone at your local coin store or where? is it sold under some trade name?
    I will most certainly bust it out and do the acetone dip if I can get the acetone.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    acetone...buy the pure stuff
    homedepot or walmart in the paint department

myself
    i don't see dip residue
    i see manilla envelope transfer...this is a coin...I WOULD NOT TOUCH IN ANYWAY

it has a very delicate "oily sheen" as seen on matte proofs...with toning over it

i'd crack it and send it in under proof on a regular submission...ONLY

surely most would agree...this patina is absolutely gorgeous

btw...$107....WOW...that's a score for this example

add a poll asking if others would mess with this example or not
    or a new thread

• deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    save your money it's just a ms62. pcgs graders are tough on 1914 buff's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file