Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #2

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This addition to my Toned 1950-1964 Proof Set was obtained at Winter FUN in an

NGC PR68 QA Holder. It just crossed to PCGS PR67.

I crossed it for my set and since the value is not really in the grade, I am not

worried about it. The coin is amazing in hand and I really cannot ever imagine

finding a more impressive example.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: onlyroosies

There are over 200 1996W dimes graded MS68FB. I would put no more than a $45 value on the coin.

The '96-W comes exceedingly nice but grades spread fairly evenly in a gentle bell curve over MS-65 to MS-68. With a mintage of 1.4 milion and an incidence of only about .5% $45 seems like a bargain to me.

Of course you're right there's no sense paying more than you need to.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cladking: I'll bid 50% more than Nick right out of the gate and buy (20) at that price sight-seen!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    If you put 100 1996W MS68FB dimes in front of me and let me Cherry pick all I want for $100 a coin sure I'd do that. If you want one off e-bay or just to fill a hole
    and are willing to accept the grade on the holder it's a $45 coin.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin and Onlyroosies are both so predictable...so am I...I want the one single coin that blows the others away and I'll pay stoopid money...I love Roosie guys since all are unique.??
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    I've been trying to slab an MS69FB of this coin for (20) years now. I'm getting a little antsy! I finally got the 69 and they called it no bands!

I'll pay $60 sight-unseen. 33% more than Nick. image.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Has anyone made anything new lately. I've made 5 new pop 1/0 clad dimes in the span of 4 months. 1972D, 1975D, 1992D, 1993P all graded MS67+FB and a 1969P reverse of 68 MS66FB. Also a top pop
    1996D MS68FB. Just missed a top pop 1971D in MS67FB. It should have plus'd. The only silver I've made recently is a 1950P MS67+FB. If anyone needs a 50P 67+FB I have an extra one.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone needs a 50P 67+FB I have an extra one.

Would he be a man of color?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were to take those 100 "sight unseen" '96-W's and re-subbed them under reconsideration, how many would upgrade to 8+FB, or even a 9FB?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul, I would bet 1 maybe 2 68+FB and no 69FB.
  • Options
    Paul, I would bet 1 maybe 2 68+FB and no 69FB.

Would it be worth it? This is a very coveted issue with a lot of collectors. A pop (1/0) 8+FB/9FB would go a very long way...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Stryker62Stryker62 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    This coin is in the Long Beach Heritage sale LOT #7649

1950 10C MS67+ Full Bands PCGS. PCGS Population (45/4 and 7/0+)image
  • Options
    Very nice coin I would have been all over it except that I just made a 1950P MS67+FB for my set. I don't need a lateral up-grade for that
    date. Hope you do well in the auction.

I just got grades posted and made a 1956P MS67+FB. Woo Hoo. I've been working on this date for the better part of a year now. Most 56P's
    come dark toned. not this one. Light rainbow rim toned. I have to thank Greattoning for this one. 8 dimes in my set have come from Greattoning (Mr D) and all 8 have now up-graded.
    This includes the only silver MS68+FB ever graded by PCGS. 1947S

Thank You Mr D
    Onlyroosies
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone made anything new lately. I've made 5 new pop 1/0 clad dimes in the span of 4 months. 1972D, 1975D, 1992D, 1993P all graded MS67+FB and a 1969P reverse of 68 MS66FB. Also a top pop
    1996D MS68FB. Just missed a top pop 1971D in MS67FB. It should have plus'd. The only silver I've made recently is a 1950P MS67+FB. If anyone needs a 50P 67+FB I have an extra one.

I made a 1946-S/S 501 PCGS67FB, but you have a 67+ sooooo no big deal I guess.

• Options
    Nice, Pop 3/1. I would say not to shabby
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

I made a 1946-S/S 501 PCGS67FB, but you have a 67+ sooooo no big deal I guess.

Hey Nick...image

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Haven't posted any pictures for awhile. Here are the 2 I picked up from our resident Roosevelt Dime expert Mr. Nick!!!

This one I picked up recently and is very nice in hand. Lots of beautiful gun metal toning with some gold effects

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Just pulled the trigger on this 1964 MS66FB for $35.74 delivered.

imageimage

imageimage

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    A few months ago the JHF 1956P MS67FB Roosie hammered for around $1900 with juice. I couldn't for the life of me figure out
    why so much when the 1956D JHF MS67FB hammered for under $250. Coin Facts just updated with the 1956P MS68FB now
    a pop 2. A quick glance at the coin facts pic shows it was the JHF MS67FB coin that up-graded to MS68FB. I'm sure we will
    see it at auction soon.

4 new silver MS68FB's were in coin facts. The 56P, 51D and a pair of 50D's. The 50D is now a pop 5 in 68FB and IMHO just
    shaved 50% off it's value.

I had the pop 1/0 1956D MS67+FB but a second was made and my guess is it was the JHF MS67FB. No pic of the coin in coin
    facts just the update to pop 2/0. I have now lost 5 silver pop 1/0's.

The Clads are holding steady along with the Price Guide values. The Price Guide for the silvers isn't even close. I'm now going
    the way Wondercoins (Mitch) is with his Wash Quarter set. I'm focusing far more on my clad dime set and adding pretty much nothing
    to my Silver dime set until all the "gradeflation" dust clears and PCGS gets the price guide in line for the Silvers.

A little update and just my 10c worth
    Onlyroosies
  • Options
    Coin Facts just updated with the 1956P MS68FB now a pop 2. A quick glance at the coin facts pic shows it was the JHF MS67FB coin that up-graded to MS68FB. I'm sure we will see it at auction soon.

MS68FB

Nick, you know the coin better than I, but if the current MS68FB on coin facts is the coin you reference, and the image is accurate, it's not FB, in my opinion. The upper left side of the band is totally flat and the lower band has a gash through it's band. Also looks like a cut through the left side as well. Your current MS67+FB is a much better coin. This coin is no better than is original MS67FB grade, and that is pushing the FB. I think PCGS missed this one. Curious, if we know who submitted the coin?

No way I'd pay MS68FB money for the coin. Reminds me of that JHF MS69 coin...

Just my 10c worth of opinion.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Jim,

Yes that is the coin. You can view the coin at Heritage archives with the JHF pedigree graded MS67FB. I don't know who bought the coin out of the Heritage auction
    or who submitted for up-grade and owns the coin now. I agree I like my 67+FB better and highly doubt I'd be interested in the coin even at the 67FB
    price it sold for out of the auction. If either of the 50D 68FB's showed up at auction I highly doubt I would be interested in either one of those for the
    same reason... I like my 50D 67+FB a lot. Besides IMO I think the PC price guide is twice what it should be for both those dates in 68FB.

I just watched the 1947P MS67+FB price in the price guide go from $3500 less than 3 months ago to a current $675. I have it listed in the Onlyroosies
    Price Guide at $600.

If anyone wants a copy of my Price guide PM me your e-mail address and I will be happy to forward it to you. It's continually being updated and adding
    the clads. It currently covers 1946-1967 grades MS67FB - MS69FB.
  • Options
    First, we all know just how incredible the coins were in the JHF Silver Dime set so it is not surprising that they are upgrading to MS68FB coins at this point.

Second, after losing about -18- pop 1 coins from my silver Washington Quarter set within about an 18 -24 month period (and having little interest improving the lovely coins I own), I was comfortable placing the set on the "back burner" for a little while and pursuing other numismatic interests. Nick - obviously I know exactly where you are coming from.

Now, the "heartbreaking news" - I am beginning to lose Clad quarter pop 1's and getting a few of my clad quarters "trumped" with newly created pop 1's. Nick - don't focus too hard on the clad dimes as I see dark possible clouds on the horizon there as well image

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin

Edited to add ... JHF never had an MS69 in his top PCGS registry set. Just an NGC coin he took along with a large PCGS collection he acquired as I recall.

• Options
    Coin Facts updated again today and I lost another top pop. This one is a bit strange. The 56D 67+FB went to a pop 2 last week. Now it's back to
    a pop 1 and a new pop 1 MS68FB showed up. No pic yet but I'm still betting that it's the JHF 56D that sold out of the Heritage auction for $223 a few months
    back. What's strange is the PC price guide updated too. Last week the 56D MS67+FB was listed at $2000 today it's $1750. The 68FB shows $7500. The price guide never updates that quick when a new pop 1 is made. I slabbed the 1975D MS67+FB pop 1/0 a couple months ago and the PG hasn't updated yet for that coin.

The Onlyroosies price guide for the 56D 67+FB is $900 and $4000 for the 68FB.
  • Options
    Mitch,

I see the top 7 wash silver sets along with Red's and Craig's set just dropped in GPA. I didn't check why but my guess is a new pop
    1/0 was made and trumped the top pop that was in all the dropped sets.
  • Options
    Nick: And, that will continue to happen and happen and happen. In the meantime, I can visit my collection in the bank from time to time and still greatly enjoy all the super toned high end specimens (and blast white ones as well) that I gobbled up from around 1983 to 2000 when just about no one cared about Washington quarters during that time (especially the clads). The killer mint sets were flowing like fine wine, etc. while the majority of dealers at the time were dealing in generic MS65 Morgans and Walkers, etc., etc. And, I was fortunate enough to find some super Roosies as well back then.

Those were the days. You remember them Nick?

Wondercoin

• Options
    Nick,

I would like a copy of that "Onlyroosies price guide" if you don't mind.

Wondercoin,

Do you have a "Wondercoin price guide" for quarters?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul: I have not put it to print as Nick has.

When I do, a copy is yours to be sure!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Paul,

PM me your e-mail address.
  • Options
    I need one too Nick!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    A few months ago the JHF 1956P MS67FB Roosie hammered for around $1900 with juice. I couldn't for the life of me figure out
    why so much when the 1956D JHF MS67FB hammered for under $250. Coin Facts just updated with the 1956P MS68FB now
    a pop 2. A quick glance at the coin facts pic shows it was the JHF MS67FB coin that up-graded to MS68FB. I'm sure we will
    see it at auction soon.

Nick, Your 1956 8FB showed up on eBay.

Link to eBay auction

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I saw that Paul, I also noticed that the JHF 56D MS67FB I spoke about above that hammered for $223 at Heritage also just showed up in Coin Facts
    graded MS68FB. My research shows that the coin up-graded to MS67+FB and then quickly up-graded again to MS68FB. Nice score for someone on
    the 56D. Not so good for the 56P. way over paid for that one. I think they will be sitting on the 56P for a while. The 56D should be easy to sell.
  • Options
    "The 56D should be easy to sell."

For what price?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Well, if you only paid $235 for the coin it should be an easy sell at current value. If anyone knows who owns the coin and wants to make a quick sale PM me. I'm a buyer but no where near PG numbers. I have no problem paying what I believe the coin to be worth. I've watched to many PG numbers get cut in half after an auction. Look at the 50S 68FB. Not to long ago the coin had a PG value at $7500. Today the PG value is $1750.

Onlyroosies
  • Options
    Nick: I am not sure you answered the question. What is the coin worth in "Nick's eyes"?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch: You have my price guide. I also listed my price guide value for the 56D 68FB above.
    I also sent you a PM with my buy price for the coin. We can discuss that via PM. My PG like PCGS's
    is also just a guide.

Thank You in advance for keeping our PM's between us.
  • Options
    Oh. No worries. I see the confusion. All cleared up. Thanks for the NC PG by the way!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Originally posted by: wondercoin
    Thanks for the NC PG by the way!

Wondercoin

Me too! image

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Just pulled the trigger on this 1954 MS66FB for $42.60 delivered.

imageimage

imageimage

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Nice score Paul.

If anyone wants an MS68FB silver Roosie there are 9 of them on ebay and a couple at Heritage. Several of those on ebay have been
    there for months. A couple of them for a year or 2. From here to eternity there will never be a shortage of silver MS68FB Roosies available.
    There are now 94 graded. The MS67+FB just went over 300 graded.

You can build a top 10 set for under $5K and for a few thousand more a top 5 set.
  • Options
    You can build a top 10 set for under $5K and for a few thousand more a top 5 set.

Where do I sign-up? Or, just build me one Nick!!! image
  • Options
    Nice score Paul.

If anyone wants an MS68FB silver Roosie there are 9 of them on ebay and a couple at Heritage. Several of those on ebay have been
    there for months. A couple of them for a year or 2. From here to eternity there will never be a shortage of silver MS68FB Roosies available.
    There are now 94 graded. The MS67+FB just went over 300 graded.

Thanks Nick, I appreciate your comment. image

What gets me about the 9 silver 8FB's languishing on eBay for what I call an eternity for lofty graded dimes, is that 1 of the sellers constantly relists the same coins with no breaks every 3 days and never changes the price, pictures, description. No changes what so ever and according to the Onlyroosies super turbo charged, ultimate Roosevelt dimes price guide, these dimes are insanely overpriced.

Over the past 2yrs, I've managed to acquire some very nice Roosie silvers and would easily crack the top 10 with its completion which is down to about 6 dimes or less. All of the dimes I need, are available today, but I absolutely refuse to pay moon money for anything.

I will list my set when its complete.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lablover

Where do I sign-up? Or, just build me one Nick!!! image

Jim,

Just like Paul said spend some time at searching and you can pick up all 48 dimes in MS66FB or better with an average price below $100 per coin. Get the common dates in MS67FB and you have a top 10 set. Add a select few MS67FB and one or 2 MS67+FB and you have cracked the top 5.
  • Options
    Just like Paul said spend some time at searching and you can pick up all 48 dimes in MS66FB or better

Oh, I thought (something I should not do) you were saying one could build a set in MS67+FB for 5k plus since that's what you were discussing. Silly me...image
  • Options
    Jim,

That would take a number around $50K, If you want to build a #1 set you're now into 6 figures. Still want me to build you a set image
  • Options
    That would take a number around $50K, If you want to build a #1 set you're now into 6 figures. Still want me to build you a set

Think I've been there. But, I can mail you a check tomorrow...just don't cash it anytime soon. image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plan to attend the Anaheim ANA show, I will have quite a few nice Roosevelt dimes, including some high grades,

at my table #433. Please stop by. (Remember, looking is free!)

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Rich:

Bring the MS67+FB's & MS68FB's I'll come by your table on Thursday.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rich:

Bring the MS67+FB's & MS68FB's I'll come by your table on Thursday.

I've brought most of the best ones, and I look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

It was nice meeting Rich today and we did do some Roosie Business. I had Rainbowroosies 1958D dime that I had bought back from him a couple
    years ago after I sold him the NGC MS68*FT upgrade. I've had this beautifully toned dime for quite awhile now and for some reason I took it to
    the show to show Rich and offered it to him and he bought it on the spot. I hope you or the next collector you sell it to enjoys the coin. This is the first that coin has been away from Bill or I since I popped it out of a mint set about 8 years ago. It's time for someone else to enjoy it. If anyone is interested in a beautifully toned 1958D Dime get ahold of Rich.