Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #2

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    ""Why in the world would you send a beautiful Roosie like that to ngc!!??""

I interpret Jim's post that it was in a PC holder, he cracked it and sent it back to PC. Sounds like he
    again didn't agree with PC's grade and will now crack it and send it to NGC. I'll bet PC graded it MS66.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll bet PC graded it MS66 >>

Hi All,

Nick is correct, PCGS graded the coin MS66 from a cracked PCGS MS67 holder. I sent the coin mostly to get the TrueView image, and to fill out a Free Voucher that was expiring.

What you don't see in the TrueView is the booming mirrors on this coin. Nick has seen the coin and agree's it's PL, which is why I'll send to NGC as PCGS does not do that designation. Further, the coin is on the cusp of MS68, was a bit surprised PCGS graded MS66 and not a MS67+...at least.

Cheers, and thanks for the comments.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

I have been collecting Roosevelt dimes now for over 25 years. I have never seen so many high grade Roosies for sale
    as there is right now. on e-bay alone there are 8 silver MS68FB and 20 MS67+FB Roosies for sale. Heritage has 3 MS68FB
    and 5 MS67+FB silver Roosies at auction. Just about every other date is also available in MS67FB. You could latterly build
    a #2 silver set and rival the #1 set buying all the dimes available right now. Of course that's if you have very deep pockets and could
    care less about value and quality. I have watched many of these dimes churn from one dealer to another and from one site to another
    looking for that so called "special" buyer. I've watched them disappear as if a sale had been made only to see them later reappear
    somewhere else for sale again, and then repeat the process again.

Note to PCGS: when a 1947S MS68FB sells at auction on Heritage for $2500 and your price guide list the coin at $6800 don't spend
    the next 12 months gradually lowering the price. Knock it down to where it should be NOW. The coin was then listed on e-bay
    for $3400 and went unsold, then listed on Heritage as BIN $3500 and didn't sell and is now back in a Heritage auction (this is
    the churning I'm talking about). The price guide needs to be adjusted accordingly even if that means a 30% - 40% drop, and
    that should be across the board. Collectors (and dealers) who use the price guide as a guide are not getting true values.

again just my 10c worth. by the way the Nick Cascio price guide for a PCGS 1947S MS68FB Roosie is $3250
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick: Let's face it ... the high grade Mint State silver Roosie Dime series barely has a pulse right now. I have bought (1) coin in around 3-5 years (best I recall) and I am still solidly in 3rd place (from a group of "extras" I had in the first place)! The #2 set is not really concentrating on these coins either and I totally understand why not when I see the incredible 1968-date Proof coin collection that collector has assembled (and the resources needed to get to where he is going with that set). You now have more than 100 point lead on your next competitor which further suggests no one is going to start building a set to challenge you any time soon. Translation .... no surprise that a ton of MS67+FB and MS68FB coins go unsold these days and may well continue to until prices get low enough where guys like me (and #2, etc) simply can't resist buying the coins (ex: when and if MS68FB coins drop beneath $2,000/coin, I might speculate on buying a few for my set knowing the coins would also make nice inventory for my website).

Now, all Roosies are not dead in the water these days. I would probably pay "six figures" for one of the two 1975 NO S Dimes if offered to me. It is one of the cooler modern coins of the 20th Century! Likewise, the 1964 SMS Dime is highly desirable in high grade. But, might I compare the MS Silver Dime set to a person who needs to hit "rock bottom" before turning their life around. When (and if) these MS68FB coins starting trading in the $1,500 - $2,000 range, bargain hunters like myself and probably a handful of other guys will return to Roosie collecting to gobble them up. Similarly, when cool coins like the 57-P and 58-P dimes in MS67FB fall under $1,000, "my juices start to flow". Nick - I think you might be suggesting (and correct me if I am wrong) that we have not hit "rock bottom" yet because owners of these MS68FB coins, etc. are possibly (in secret) buying back their own coins at auction when they fail to get spirited bidding and achieve a level the owners would truly like to sell them at. Hence, artificially, the "rock bottom" level (from which "new blood" might enter the series) is not being achieved and the Roosie dime series is languishing year after year after year now (is this close to your point)?

One final point - nothing I am saying here (and I assume ditto for Nick) pertains to when a truly MONSTER Roosie comes up for auction and guys like RainbowRoosie, Nick or even myself lust for the specimen (and will pay up). We are discussing the other 98% of the coins - the coins we all could do without and not impact our collections despite what the coin says on the holder. Nick is also well aware of the myriad silver Wash quarters I watch (purportedly) sell that could in theory improve the numerical grade of the coin currently in my set but would only harm the overall eye appeal of the collection I am trying to achieve.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent discussion! I love to hear the pro's debate the series.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    As usual, Onlyroosies and Wondercoin have the market pegged exactly. I am as strong a buyer as there is for great Roosies and I will categorically state some prices asked are insane. 10k for a $2500 coin has only one inevitable result -- bury the buyer forever.

On a more pleasant note, my 1950-64 sets of superbly toned Roosie and Washington proofs are complete. Many thanks to Lablover and Greattoning who have helped me upgrade several color coins recently. I intend to Truview them and hopefully display them both at FUN. If so, I think Larry Shepard will display them for me. If this sounds like bragging, it is. Many of these coins have unimprovable color. I've been building the sets since 1985. Just so you know, finding beautifully toned modern proofs is harder than finding MS coins.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    "" Nick - I think you might be suggesting (and correct me if I am wrong) that we have not hit "rock bottom" yet ""

Not even close. One of the big problems is that the price guide is soooo far off. It took a year to get the price guide for a 1954S
    67FB down to near correct levels. The price guide is still 20% too high for that date. I recently sold one on GC for $375. my previous
    sale for this date was $3200 some 6-7 years ago. that's an 88% drop in price. There's a 1950P MS68FB on e-bay right now
    with a BIN over $15K. I suspect that one reason it's priced so high is because the PCGS price guide has it valued at $10500.
    It originally sold a little over a year ago on Heritage for $8800. At that time the price guide was $10500. The buyer probably
    thought he got a deal. a few months after that a 1946D MS68FB pop 1/0 hammers for around $3500 at Heritage (now pop 2/0).
    the price guide has finally reflected that sell and now sits at $3650 for the 46D 68FB. both coins are 1 weight in the registry,
    both coins are close in pop, both are similar in quality. the pop for the 50P should have reflected this. Like Rainbowroosie said
    above.... The owner is buried in the coin.

A very nice 1957P MS67FB just hammered for just over $1100 at Great Collections. The PCGS price guide for that coin is $2600.
    I was on the phone last night with a collector discussing that coin and I valued it at $1000. 61% below price guide. how long will
    it take PCGS to recognize the correct value for that date and similar dates and grades in the series.

Mitch is right about the other 2% of which are monster coins. I did recently buy a 1954S MS67FB for $1000. But that coin now
    sits in a PCGS MS68FB holder.

JMHO. If you want the Nick Cascio price guide $$$$$ for the 1950P MS68FB you'll have to PM me for it.
  • Options
    Nick: Look...

The JHF 1950-P Dime was THE nicest 1950-P dime known at the time of that Landmark Superior auction. It was pedigreed to me personally, pop 1/0 and reserved for over $10,000 at the time in that sale. Your personal set at the time never had a 1950-P as nice as the JHF coin (I did not check to even see if you own an MS68FB today). I would not be surprised to see the JHF coin in an MS68+FB holder one day by the way. When it sold, the Price Guide was at a very reasonable level in my opinion. And, the sale of the pop 2/0 coin thereafter at nearly $9,000 for a pop 2/0 coin further proved the Price Guide, if anything, was a little low on the 1950-P Pop 1/0 coin (not s little high). Let's face it, there were no mint sets that year and TRUE MS68FB Philadelphia specimens are downright very scarce, if not flat out rare.

Now, the coin is pop 3/0 - NIGHT AND DAY from pop 1/0 when the Price Guide valued the coin. Should the Price Guide come down some - probably so (unless the ebay coin fetches $10,000). But, your post might suggest the Price Guide was "out to lunch" on that date and, as discussed, it clearly was not. That said, is the latest pop 3/0 coin really just a nice MS67FB coin on another day and truly worth just $3,500? I can't say as I have never seen it. All I can say is that the JHF coin was a killer coin in my opinion when it stood as the Pop 1/0 coin. Anyone who wants a true jewel in that slot would find it with the JHF coin.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    The JHF 50P was a very nice pop 1/0. the pop 2 was the Arthur Gowman NGC coin that crossed to PCGS a couple year or so ago and is a superior
    coin to the JHF coin. the pop 3 coin is the ebay coin. The sale of the JHF coin was many years ago and priced accordingly for the time period.
    those days have come and gone, just like the 54S 67FB I described above losing 80% of it's price guide value. The Arthur Gowman coin which
    IMHO is the nicest of the 3 sold privately for about 60% of what the JHF coin sold for. today these coins are not worth what they were 6-7 years
    ago or even 1 year ago.
  • Options
    Proves my point even more .... you are saying the Heritage and ebay coin was the pop 3/0 coin that sold for near $9,000. Then, obviously, the pop 1/0 coin was a bargain at $10,000+! I can not speak for the Gowman coin.

But, the fact you let the Gowman coin go bye bye, speaks volumes, at least to me. Your world class set has an MS67+FB coin in it? I stand by my comment about my former 1950-P dime. Some folks like blondes, some folks like red heads. image

We are all very passionate about our dimes .. especially RR! No one knows them better than you Nick (even if I disagree with 1% or 2% of what you have to say).

In any event, this discussion amplifies just how tough it really is to maintain an accurate Price Guide. J. Hernandez does a great job with it overall I believe, especially with all of the "lobbyists" he needs to consider on a daily/weekly basis across all coin series!

My two cents.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I can add anything to Nick as he is the resident Roosevelt Dime expert, but as always I'm listening. I mentioned in a few posts before this one is that I didn't think that the bottom has been reached for Roosies. Not sure if the recent Mint product (Proof) is having an effect on MS prices, but it looks as if it isn't going to touch them.

Nick mentioned that you could easily build a MS67FB/+FB set right now from what is currently for sale, but seeing that the roosies are dead in the water right now, and the prices are still ridiculous, its numismatic suicide to spend that kind of money. I for one would love to see what these coins would bring on eBay if they were all listed at $0.99 and given a standard 7 day auction. The thing is, no-one has the stupidity to do that with their inventory.

When I get some time off this summer, I would be willing to come to California to get a 1:1 Roosie clinic from Nick, and to see his World Class (Soon to be H.o.F.) collection of Roosevelt Dimes. Will have to see. Maybe during a Long Beach show since I've been dying to attend one. Actually a Vegas PCGS collectors only show would really be great. image

Now here is one for you...

I am in the market for a 1965 PCGS MS67FB, and there are currently 2-3 for sale right now and I would like to know what some of you would pay for one of these and which one would you buy? PCGS pop is 8/1 and the P.G. is $1,700.

I will buy which ever coin this board thinks is worthy and at the price they recommend.

Specimen #1) D.L.R.C. has this one for sale: on eBay it is $1,780 B.I.N. of B.O, cert #30870270 On their website this coin is $1675.

Specimen #2) Heritage has this one for sale now: The Heritage Specimen cert #25252961

I really like the D.L.R.C. specimen, as the Heritage seems to have something going on around the top bands on the left side. Not sure what that is. T.N.F.C. has/had a very nice 1965 MS67FB and I'm not sure if it is one of the traveling Dimes that Nick spoke about as it might be one of the 2 above dimes.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    Here's Rainbowroosie's latest proof. I know this isn't a roosie but he asked me to post it!

• Options

<< <i>Here's Rainbowroosie's latest proof. I know this isn't a roosie but he asked me to post it! >>

Bill should have bought this 61 when it was available, it was the brother to his 61 Roosie...image

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Jim,
    Truviews can be amazing. Still have the dime photo?
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    Looks like some quarter guys hi-jacked our thread. There is a quarter thread going you know...image
  • Options
    We are just showing off rainbow coins. Nothing wrong with that in any string.image
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like some quarter guys hi-jacked our thread. There is a quarter thread going you know...image >>

+1 image

You know what I think of those 2 Quarters??? image

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>Jim,
    Truviews can be amazing. Still have the dime photo? >>

• Options
    So, are we ok now that we are doing Rosie pictures? Well played, Jim.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a moose!!!
  • Options
    By the way guys ... I made sure to "share the love" on just how cool it was to collect Clad Roosies in a just released (6) page lead article in Coinage magazine this month (June, 2015 edition) on clad coinage. I was interviewed for the piece and tried to cover many different areas of clad coinage.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I would be impressed by a clad set in 65 plus with nice color. That would be a very very difficult set to do.
  • Options
    Here is a really nice 1946-S PCGS MS66+FB Roosie I have had my eye on for some quite time and decided to finally pull the trigger on it.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul,
    Nice coin.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Nice pick up Paul. Keep up the good work. Love Roosie's.image
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul,
    I see quality there. I'd been afraid someone else might have grabbed it before I made my mind up image
  • Options
    Has anyone seen this article which was written by someone at U.S. & World Coin on October 23rd, 2012? A Clad Roosevelt Dime 'Key Date' Analysis It is a wonderfully written expose' on the Clad Roosevelt Dime and it hits this series well. I agree with it about 80% of what the Author is saying...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I went to the PCGS price guide to look up prices for our round little friend and lets just say that it is quite the scene seeing a whole bunch of RED across the high end silvers.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Lots of red and more to come after this last heritage auction. I see PCGS responded to my last post about the 1947S MS68FB. The PG now has the value listed at $4000. 3 weeks ago it was $6800. Let's see what happens to the 48D 68FB. The PG has it at $7500. The Heritage coin just hammered at $2500. Several others in the auction hammered at or below 50% of PG numbers. Even though we can't show a record of a sell for many of these Low pop MS68FB dimes the few that have sold well below PG should knock down the others.

Did anyone pick up any of these dimes. I bought the 46P 67+FB. I wasn't convinced that some of the other bids were real. Even though I could have used several others the numbers were still well above my buy prices.
  • Options
    I personally did not like any of the higher grade Heritage silver dimes this time around for hunting down premium coins for the grade and, therefore, had no interest to bid on them at any price. It surprises me a bit Nick that the 46-P you just bought was nicer than the one you already had.

Maybe I am just getting too darn tight in my old age!

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch, you also have to gradeflate when gradeflation comes around. The soft strike keeps my 46P from getting the +. I'll be keeping my 46P because it's pedigreed from the Dan Close Collection. I liked the 46D and 59D that was in the auction. I'm not convinced either sold to a real bid. Either way both closed above my buy price.
  • Options
    Nick, I bid $700 on the 1965 MS67FB and was outbid instantly. I also bid $500 on that 1946 you bought. Those were the only 2 dimes I bid on in the last couple auctions.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul, take a look at the 49D 67+FB on ebay
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the 49-D on ebay and unless the colors are much better than the pics......I don't care for it that much.
  • Options
    Dimeman I didn't look at the 49D but talking about looks, I never have liked the Roosie you have on your line up, is the 49D worse?
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to get a 1969-P Roosevelt to grade any higher than MS66 these days? I now own more than half a PCGS box of MS66 coins and if I look at them all together clearly some are better than others but do I gamble another $240 all-in grading fees to try to make a 67 or 66FB (a few definitely have them) by sending in the whole batch, because I've had so many graded/regraded and they keep coming back 66 (good news is a lot were cracked sent raw and still came back 66)...

So, maybe I send in the whole batch and pray for a miracle? Maybe squeak out a single 66+ or a 67 or 66FB? Or should I just give up on ever owning a 67 or 66FB since I'm not willing to pay MacGE $1k for either of his since they are no better than any in half+ box of 66's.

I'd truly pay decent money for one if in hand it was really superior to any of the 66's I own...but they don't seem to be for sale and I can't seem to make one.

Any thoughts/ideas?
  • Options
    If you truly want to slab your own I would pick out your top 5-7 and send them all in together under the regular tear for regrade.
  • Options
    What do you think is fair market value for a 67 already slabbed by PCGS?
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it possible to get a 1969-P Roosevelt to grade any higher than MS66 these days? I now own more than half a PCGS box of MS66 coins and if I look at them all together clearly some are better than others but do I gamble another $240 all-in grading fees to try to make a 67 or 66FB (a few definitely have them) by sending in the whole batch, because I've had so many graded/regraded and they keep coming back 66 (good news is a lot were cracked sent raw and still came back 66)...

So, maybe I send in the whole batch and pray for a miracle? Maybe squeak out a single 66+ or a 67 or 66FB? Or should I just give up on ever owning a 67 or 66FB since I'm not willing to pay MacGE $1k for either of his since they are no better than any in half+ box of 66's.

I'd truly pay decent money for one if in hand it was really superior to any of the 66's I own...but they don't seem to be for sale and I can't seem to make one.

Any thoughts/ideas? >>

There are plenty MS66FB and MS67 other date dimes that can be used as good references for you to estimate your chance to make 1969-P MS66FB or MS67.
    Among the six MS66 you have, even one is better than other five, this might not get 66+ or 67 grade since you need one that can clearly cross the line image unless you hit the jackpot of gradeflation window image
    All I can say is "best luck."
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ""What do you think is fair market value for a 67 already slabbed by PCGS?""

It's a pop 10. I once sold a 1970 MS67 pop 4 at the time for $700. A true 1969 MS67 would be an
    absolute beauty in hand. I'm not even sure half of the current ones graded would qualify. If you
    could find such a coin I would value it around $800, same value I would place on a 66FB.
  • Options
    Don't be afraid to look at NGC. That's where I found the 1969P MS67FB in the Almighty Dimes Collection.
  • Options
    ""You sold that 70-p for $1100''"

Wow, I didn't remember exactly how much but never thought it was that much. To many years back to remember.

• Options
    Here is my latest Roosevelt Dime. I paid $50, but I have to tell ya this coin looks great in hand with beaming luster and the gold and orange hues are amazing. I believe this to be a MS66+FB or a 7FB all day long.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul,
    I've seen much much worse in a 67 holder.image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pretty 46-S Paul.image
  • Options
    How could it be any better. image
  • Options
    How do you feel about celo toning on this 1969-P? It's in a PCGS MS67 holder, picked it up on the Bay. Took some pics on the quick. Hard coin to image for some reason so I will re-photo to get a little better lighting.

I have a regrade order in PCGS with 6 MS66 coins hoping to make a 66+ or a 67, but this one came along and at the right price, so had to pull the trigger. It arrived today...

• Options
    MDG,

That is a really nice looking 1969 Roosevelt.

I like the "Cameo" appearance on the torch.

Good luck with your regrades. Did you send in for reconsideration? I suppose that is the only way huh?

Later, Paul.