Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eleanor Roosevelt 2014 First spouse Uncirculated Gold Sold out in 6 months. final sales # 1886, New

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may be a bit optimistic....Some stuck with "end stage" flippers, etc.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't take a lot of interest to soak up 2,000 half oz gold coins. At some point in the next couple of years, one of these gold spouses will have the distinction of being the lowest mintage US coin struck in the last 100 years.

The question then will be, does anyone care? I still can't decide either.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It doesn't take a lot of interest to soak up 2,000 half oz gold coins. At some point in the next couple of years, one of these gold spouses will have the distinction of being the lowest mintage US coin struck in the last 100 years.

The question then will be, does anyone care? I still can't decide either.image >>

I think that one coin - the lowest mintage in 100 years - will do well. Problem is chasing it will be expensive. It likely won't even b known until the final audited mintages are in. Once its known I think that there will b a lot of demand for that one coin relative to supply - much as has been the case w prior, temporary FS keys.

Its hard to imagine another coin coming about which will have such a low mintage so the low mintage FS may well hold that distinction for many years.

Just my 0.02 of course.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's about 7 candidates for the lowest mintage unc and 7 candidates for the lowest mintage proof. The risk/reward of chasing it seems inordinately high.

Every one of these bought from the Mint comes with a 35% markup over spot on the front end.

That money could be stashed until the winner becomes obvious, and then the question is whether simply holding onto the cash might have been a better choice anyhow.

Unless you actually collect the series......................
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Sales at 1,924 as of 3/15.
  • Options

<< <i>Sales at 1,924 as of 3/15. >>

So they sold around 120 over the last week. very cool!
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    Will Jacqueline Kennedy Coin boost the demand for all remaining 2013 & 2014 spouse coins? If not, we may see some really low final sales number like 1750.
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat Nixon?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If several coins have mintages only slightly higher than the eventual uncirculated and proof keys, I think it will be difficult for any one of those coins to break out of the pack and achieve a substantially higher price than the others.

The possible exception is Eleanor Roosevelt. Even if not the absolute lowest mintage, her coins might achieve the highest price based simply on her name recognition and popularity.

I also expect the "Liberty" subset to be a long-term winner.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I thought I was done chasing the lowest mintage on these. Guess not. If I get the Eleanor I will probably just keep it. I don't collect the series except for the Liberty subset.
  • Options

<< <i>If several coins have mintages only slightly higher than the eventual uncirculated and proof keys, I think it will be difficult for any one of those coins to break out of the pack and achieve a substantially higher price than the others.

The possible exception is Eleanor Roosevelt. Even if not the absolute lowest mintage, her coins might achieve the highest price based simply on her name recognition and popularity.

I also expect the "Liberty" subset to be a long-term winner. >>

It does seem that the chance for any deep key in this series is nill.

On the one hand, as I said earlier, I would think that the FS Unc key simply by virtue of being the lowest mintage US coins in a century and for likely many years to come would bring a large premium. That said, the behaviour of the current keys (until the 13 and 14 numbers are finalized) does not make sense to me. Garfield has a lower mintage than does Hayes yet Hayes brings far more money. Why is that?
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Liberty subset in this series is genuinely nice. Makes you wish we'd had more bachelor/gay/widower presidents.

It's really a shame they didn't continue the concept with the Chester Arthur era's classic coin design instead of Alice Paul, to expand the Liberty subset.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly positive we haven't seen the key yet.
  • Options

<< <i>Garfield has a lower mintage than does Hayes yet Hayes brings far more money. Why is that? >>

Looks to me that Garfield brings more money, at least in MS69.

Link

MS70 prices depend more on the number slabbed than on the total mintage.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chester Arthur and Alice Paul must be rolling in their graves. people 20,000 years from now will assume they were married. To think we could have had the Indian cent recreated in gold.. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Garfield has a lower mintage than does Hayes yet Hayes brings far more money. Why is that? >>

Looks to me that Garfield brings more money, at least in MS69.

Link

MS70 prices depend more on the number slabbed than on the total mintage. >>

I was referring to MS 70s, NGC and PCGS. I thought that this same trend followed for raw and 69s but I have not checked for a while.
  • Options
    Nixon and Ford will likely be the low points

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nixon and Ford will likely be the low points >>

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
  • Options
    cumulative mint sales statistics showing Wilson 1st and 2nd MS at 1,901 and 1,906, while Taft MS is at 1,910.

ER is at 2,033

when they are this close, aren't they co-keys ?

• Options

<< <i>cumulative mint sales statistics showing Wilson 1st and 2nd MS at 1,901 and 1,906, while Taft MS is at 1,910.
    ER is at 2,033
    when they are this close, aren't they co-keys ? >>

All five of the 2013 issues are still available on the Mint site, so their key status will depend on the final sales numbers. The unc. Eleanor Roosevelt is probably finished at 1,911 and the remaining 2014 issues likely have similar mintages, so I think they have a better chance of being co-keys than the 2013 spouses.

• Options
    It looks like that Edith Roosevelt proof and Florence harding proof will be out of stock very soon. It increasingly looks like a mintage trough for the whole spouse gold series. Yes, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis' coin is coming..
  • Options
    What's the best link/source to track the latest sales figures? Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm using the us mint cumulative numismatic sales statistics, which is usually updated on the second business day of the week
  • Options
    Allow me to correct myself.

Edith Roosevelt, 2013 Teddy's wife - 2,033
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 2014 FDR's wife - 1,911

Here are the March 15 numbers

First Spouse 1CA 2013 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - MCKINLEY 2,784
    First Spouse 1CB 2013 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - MCKINLEY 1,989
    First Spouse 1CC 2013 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - ROOSEVLT 2,875
    First Spouse 1CD 2013 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - ROOSEVLT 2,033
    First Spouse 1CE 2013 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - TAFT 2,598
    First Spouse 1CF 2013 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - TAFT 1,910
    First Spouse 1CG 2013 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - WILSON 1ST 2,570
    First Spouse 1CH 2013 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - WILSON 1ST 1,901
    First Spouse 1CJ 2013 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - WILSON 2ND 2,462
    First Spouse 1CK 2013 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - WILSON 2ND 1,906

First Spouse HP1 2014 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - HARDING 2,363
    First Spouse HP2 2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - HARDING 1,536
    First Spouse HP3 2014 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - COOLIDGE 2,274
    First Spouse HP4 2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - COOLIDGE 1,515
    First Spouse HP5 2014 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - HOOVER 2,096
    First Spouse HP6 2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - HOOVER 1,487
    First Spouse HP7 2014 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - ROOSEVLT 2,378
    First Spouse HP8 2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - ROOSEVLT 1,911

Harding, Coolidge and Hoover may still be on sale, but 400 coins are in stock?

• Options

<< <i>I'm using the us mint cumulative numismatic sales statistics, which is usually updated on the second business day of the week >>

Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    Edith Roosevelt Proof 12 coins before sold out
    Florence Harding Proof 61 coins before sold out
  • Options

<< <i>Edith Roosevelt Proof 12 coins before sold out
    Florence Harding Proof 61 coins before sold out >>

So the totals for the 2013 Edith Roosevelt will be nearly 2900, and the 2014 Florence Harding will be slightly over 2400.

It looks like production was cut back in 2014 because of lackluster sales of the 2013 first spouse coins.

• Options
    In 2013 definitely, and maybe even in 2012, sales were at the end of the year

I put a lot of declining sales blame on ~8 week nov-dec Christmas time sales windows

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    My 9 BU Eleanor Roosevelt FS Coins are at the Post Office. I'm in no hurry to go pick them up. In the meantime I'll try
    to decide if I should open them up or leave them sealed.

Anyone have any opinions on that? I got them in 9 separate orders so they're packed individually.
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    love reading all the comments about the spouses....yes original collector...yes have complete set in nice pcgs holders....yes i will have the "lowest mintage gold coin" in however many years but still don't know which one she is....not really worried....has it been a good investment....sure not bad....but you all are trying to pick the best performer out of the group....a game i chose not to play what 8 years ago....a wise collector here told me at the beginning....collect the whole set and in about 10 years you will realize you have a decent set and a nice chunk if change....he was right on....has it been the BEST PERFORMER of the decade....nope but that isn't the point.....collect them hate them ignore them i am happy with my little collection....isnt that what we are here for???

jmho

gyros
  • Options

<< <i>My 9 BU Eleanor Roosevelt FS Coins are at the Post Office. I'm in no hurry to go pick them up. In the meantime I'll try
    to decide if I should open them up or leave them sealed.

Anyone have any opinions on that? I got them in 9 separate orders so they're packed individually. >>

Nice score.

I think that this may well be a short lived key. Once Eleanor is "sold out" on the Mint sight I'd sell them sealed quickly noting her new key status as she could easily be unseated in the near future. Not an easy call but I think that it's likely that she will not hold long as the key. So, could cash in now by selling or wait and perhaps do better but perhaps more likely be left holding a lot of $ in a semi-key.

What do others think?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny, of all the UNC first spouses available, E. Roosevelt would have been the last one I would have chosen based on I thought 2013 coins would close out first and Eleanor had the highest mintages of the 2014. It's still early to tell, but my Lucy/Lucretia coins are no longer the keys for sure.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I received my one BU Eleanor Roosevelt today. Probably open it up tomorrow.
  • Options

<< <i>I received my one BU Eleanor Roosevelt today. Probably open it up tomorrow. >>

My three ER uncirculated coins arrived yesterday. None appears to be MS 70 under 10X loupe.
  • Options
    I think it doesn't matter whether the Eleanor Roosevelt coins become the absolute lowest mintage keys. If they are anywhere close, they will probably become the highest priced Spouse coins long-term, based on her name recognition and popularity.

• Options
    I opened the one BU Eleanor I received this Thursday and it has a shot at MS 70. I will probably send in for a grading with a trueview. This was not a returned coin.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always good to read when something sells out from the mint. That's a rarity in itself, except where the hucksters line up.
  • Options
    Edith Roosevelt 2013 First Spouse Proof 9 coins left

Florence Harding 2014 First Spouse Proof 55 coins left
  • Options

<< <i>Edith Roosevelt 2013 First Spouse Proof 9 coins left

Florence Harding 2014 First Spouse Proof 55 coins left >>

The proof numbers seem easy to track yet the UNC's seem to allow one to add 100 to the cart even immediately prior to out of stock status. Has anyone else found this to be the case?
  • Options
    I was told earlier today that the final sales number of ER uncirculated gold is about 1880. Holy cow.....
  • Options
    Eleanor still not marked Sold Out. Unc sales now up to 2038 - only 130 lower than Garfield Unc.
  • Options

<< <i>The proof numbers seem easy to track yet the UNC's seem to allow one to add 100 to the cart even immediately prior to out of stock status. Has anyone else found this to be the case? >>

The Eleanor Roosevelt unc. was able to be tracked after inventory fell below 99.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The proof numbers seem easy to track yet the UNC's seem to allow one to add 100 to the cart even immediately prior to out of stock status. Has anyone else found this to be the case? >>

The Eleanor Roosevelt unc. was able to be tracked after inventory fell below 99. >>

Thanks!!
  • Options

<< <i>Eleanor still not marked Sold Out. Unc sales now up to 2038 - only 130 lower than Garfield Unc. >>

You mean Edith Roosevelt? Right? Eleanor UNC was sold out at 1909, possibily as low as 1879.
  • Options
    Sorry! You are correct. I forgot that Eleanor was '14 and Edith '13.

Still, Eleanor is listed as out of stock and not sold out. I wonder when this status will change.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask any of us dealers to buy it. Paying 98% melt. That is your answer!
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    98% is generous, usually 95%😄
  • Options

<< <i>Ask any of us dealers to buy it. Paying 98% melt. That is your answer! >>

If anyone walked into a dealers shop in my area with an MS65 Pan-Pac $50, the most they would likely be offered would be

98% of melt.

imageimageimage

Nothing new about Dealers offers. image
  • Options

<< <i>I was told earlier today that the final sales number of ER uncirculated gold is about 1880. Holy cow..... >>

I hope that was a good source. I'll be sitting on my small hoard of 1 opened and 9 sealed, as if they are the Crown Jewels.

For now. imagei feel good
  • Options

Keeping fingers crossed.

With luck maybe one day I'll be flipping these into a nice Pan-Pac $50 Slug.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file