Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eleanor Roosevelt 2014 First spouse Uncirculated Gold Sold out in 6 months. final sales # 1886, New

Comments

• Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/us/politics/eleanor-roosevelt-is-top-choice-for-the-10-bill-poll-finds.html?nytmobile=0&_r=1

New York times

Eleanor Roosevelt, who spent 12 years in the White House as first lady and traveled the world as a human-rights advocate, is the front-runner for the new face of the $10 bill, according to a poll.

Released on Wednesday, results from a Marist poll show that 27 percent of those surveyed would choose Mrs. Roosevelt. Harriet Tubman, the African-American abolitionist, was the second choice, with 17 percent. Sacagawea, the Shoshone woman who served as a translator and guide for the Lewis and Clark expedition, garnered 13 percent of the vote.
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that Mint put the limited label on both coins later last week. Assuming that this limited label is at least partially informative, do it means that only a few hundreds coins are left after the first week?

It will be instructive to see how many coins the 2nd runs of both Truman and Eisenhower consisted of. So far, we still don't know.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed that Mint put the limited label on both coins later last week. Assuming that this limited label is at least partially informative, do it means that only a few hundreds coins are left after the first week?

It will be instructive to see how many coins the 2nd runs of both Truman and Eisenhower consisted of. So far, we still don't know. >>

It is evident at this point that at least 2425 Eisenhower proof were produced by the Mint.

Hypothetically, if Eleanor is on the new $10 bill, will many people collect a $10 Eleanor set with one bill and two coins? image)
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hypothetically, if Eleanor is on the new $10 bill, will many people collect a $10 Eleanor set with one bill and two coins? image) >>

I fearlessly predict that fewer than 2,000 will do so. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah yeah new low. Then Lady Bird flies under the radar and trumps em all.

Who was LB anyway? Yeah LBJ's wife I get it. But who was she? How does anyone follow Jackie K? >>

Actually, as big a fan as I am of the Kennedys, both LBJ and Lady Bird accomplished far more in office. Lady Bird almost single-handedly got her husband elected in '64 and made a huge contribution to the environmental movement.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>She could still be unseated by Hoover Proof. >>

Now we know that more than 2312 Hoover proof were produced.
  • Options
    Perversely what this series needs is $2000+ spot gold to drive more of overhang to the melting pot.

$49/oz silver helped with recent silver commemoratives but it was too brief to do much good.

A sustained $50 silver price and $2500 gold for 6-12 months is what market needs.

Would skew the remaining coins to mostly PR/MS70s but it would clean out a lot of inventory overhang.
  • Options
    As all 2013 spouse gold coins are gone now, when will the Mint remove all remaining 2014 spouse gold coins from its site? End of this year or one year from now?

I hope that the Mint remove all spouse gold coins (2014 & 2015) by this December, thereby creating some coin with mintage less than 1500 .
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm!

None of the 2013 UNCs even broke 2,000 and even they might not be keys.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The key in this unloved, mostly spot price, unattractive series might be a mintage of one!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Cabinet Secretaries Speak Out on Redesigning Our Currency

Use #TheNew10 to share your ideas and recommendations for the new $10 note and the next family of notes.

Use #TheNew10 to share your ideas and recommendations for the new $10 note and the next family of notes.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheNew10?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://thenew10.treasury.gov/
  • Options
    four 2014 MS 70 set just sold at $5800

one MS 70 sold at $2150

a couple of eleanor PR70 sold at @1950

eleanor proof 70 could hit $3000 easily if she is selected by Lew for the new $10 before Christmas...
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Then this would be a great deal. You can still buy eleanor at great collections for less than what you listed in FS 70.

http://www.greatcollections.co...ike-PCGS-Proof-70-DCAM
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Also to add that I think she still might get unseated by Hoover MS. We will know in the next 100 sales or so at the usm.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options

Jackie Kennedy 2015 First spouse proof Gold Sold out. Imminent...

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, the Johnson unc is really low right now...Could be the real key. I hope more than 1500 people collect this series, I don't but if gold goes back up it might be a good one.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sums up my opinon of Eleanor Roosevelt and the First Spouse Program.

This program has never been popular because it mostly honors people who married well. That does not rate a commemorative coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Now every spouse gold coin is listed as "limited " on mint catalog. Just wondering whether they will remove all 2014 coins before year end....

Just sold my 2015 platinum eagle for a decent profit, thinking about buying a few Lou Hoover Proofs before 12/31...

Jackie Kennedy 2015 First spouse proof Gold Sold out. Imminent 41 left...
  • Options
    Jacqueline Kennedy 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin West Point (W)

1 Item(s) In Stock
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Oh I want 10 !

IF IF IF any are left in February.......

If not ... who cares anyway. LOL

NOT ME !
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FS coin with the tiniest mintage is the modern day equivalent of the 1950-D nickel.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet the Betty Ford one will generate an interest of about 46 people.
  • Options
    Jacqueline Kennedy 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin West Point (W) 1 Item(s) In Stock-----------------------

Strike gold with First Spouse coins?

Posted on October 9, 2014 by Dave Harper

When the Presidential dollar series ends with the Jerry Ford issue in 2016, the First Spouse gold coin program will end with it.

At that point, all of the coins issued from Martha Washington to Betty Ford will be a known quantity.

Collectors will be able to see which ones are the rare ones. They will know what the price of gold is and will be able to find a basic value resting on the bullion price.

It is the concept of rarity that will be put on a sliding scale. Absolute rarity is simply a number. A total of 2,000 is rarer than 20,000. No other information is needed.

However, if there are fewer than 2,000 active collectors who might want to purchase the coin with the 2,000 mintage, the low number hardly matters at all as there will be a surplus on the market. The coin will trade at a value based solely on bullion.

But will that outcome be the fate of the First Spouse coins?

Each one contains a half ounce of gold.

Gold is not cheap, nor is it likely to become cheap. The value of a half ounce of gold is $613 this morning.

That’s a high price point for most collectors.

Multiply that by 38 coins and you have a pile of bullion worth $23,294 today. That’s just the proofs. Double the number to $46,588 when you add in the Mint State pieces.

Most collectors I know would look at me like I am crazy if I think they will jump into a series that has such a high cost starting point.

But it will be a starting point for somebody. Some First Spouse coins will be incredibly rare.

A series that began with buyers eagerly snapping up 20,000 pieces has been reduced to mintages that could very well end up under 2,000 each.

Lou Hoover and Eleanor Roosevelt Mint State coins are currently below 1,000 sold. This bears watching.

Some First Spouse coins will make it to Proof-70 or MS-70, but not all of the coins will.

What sort of price will the series have for a set in the absolute top grade? Should it be $100,000?

Don’t choke. $100,000 is a lot of money, no question.

However, if the first Kennedy gold half dollar sold at the Chicago American Numismatic Association can bring such a price, a full set of gold coins with 38 troy ounces of the precious metal in top grades also should be in the running for such a price.

Gold will not always be at $1,226 a troy ounce.

Sure, it can fall lower. But what do you think it will be in five years’ time or 10 years’ time?

Clearly the fires of collector enthusiasm has waned for First Spouse coins, but for those who consider rarity, top grades and underlying bullion potential, now might be time to start picking through the embers.

You might end up with something that you are not only proud to own, but a worthwhile investment, too.

Somebody is going to do this. Is that somebody you?

• Options
    That somebody is me. I am only missing one coin, the Julia Tyler MS. Once I find a nice problem free 69 for not moon money, my proof and ms sets will be complete!

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OperationButter
    That somebody is me. I am only missing one coin, the Julia Tyler MS. Once I find a nice problem free 69 for not moon money, my proof and ms sets will be complete!
    Congratulations!
    That is a lot of gold coins

• Options
    Jacqueline Kennedy 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Gone

What's the likelihood for the mint to remove all remaining 2014 spouse gold coins on 1/1/2016? Are we going to have some new series key soon?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: NeoclassicalAnalyst
    Jacqueline Kennedy 2015 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Gone

What's the likelihood for the mint to remove all remaining 2014 spouse gold coins on 1/1/2016? Are we going to have some new series key soon?

The series key, in terms of price, will very likely be the 2014 Eleanor Roosevelt proof, even if it's not the absolute lowest mintage. Eleanor Roosevelt is far more well known and popular than the other first ladies on the 2014 coins. And proofs are far more popular with actual collectors than their uncirculated counterparts, as demonstrated by the anemic sales of the remaining uncirculated 2014 Spouse coins, as well as by the typical ratios of proof to uncirculated commemoratives.

• Options
    I'm beginning to think that this will be an open-ended series. As the living presidents pass away, what congress would neglect passing a bill to add another first lady to the series? Political animals that they are, they will always take an opportunity to stand in front of the cameras.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    I'm beginning to think that this will be an open-ended series. As the living presidents pass away, what congress would neglect passing a bill to add another first lady to the series? Political animals that they are, they will always take an opportunity to stand in front of the cameras.

Given the anemic sales of recent First Spouse coins and the failure of the Presidential dollars to circulate, I think Congress might opt for regular commems instead.

• Options
    Given the anemic sales of recent First Spouse coins and the failure of the Presidential dollars to circulate, I think Congress might opt for regular commems instead.

I always appreciate your insight, Overdate however, in this instance I think that congress will opt for their annual thematic commemorative issues and then enact a new law for each successive spouse that becomes eligible for a coin. They love to make new law as if it were their calling in life but they never seem to repeal any of the bad ones, so this would keep them occupied with more "important legislation".

Congrats to OperationButter on his set! How awesome will it be in 10 or 20 years to have a full set of 1/2 oz. gold pieces in a low mintage precious metal series that will become harder to complete as time goes by. And if a large collecting base never materializes for the series, the gold content alone will be awesome enough! Well done!

I had thought originally that Eleanor would have had a high mintage as she is somewhat of an icon, but maybe her time is past in that capacity with Jackie having been in the forefront for some time now. I'd never have guessed that Eleanor might become a low mintage key in this series.

If this were a horse race and I were betting on which coin will be the key, I would still have to consider it almost equal odds amongst 9 or 10 different Unc issues, including Eleanor - and Eleanor is the only one that's not currently available from the Mint.

We see a speculative move every time a low mintage precious metal Modern Bullion coin becomes a candidate for Key to the Series, even when we already know that there aren't a lot of actual collectors involved. I think we will see significant speculation once the real contenders in this series become apparent. It happens every time.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Jmski52, you could be right on Congress extending the series, I think it would make sense at least for Carter as it would fill the gap between Ford and Reagan. I don't see them extending an unpopular series forever, though.

In the case of Eleanor, the Mint underestimated demand and didn't produce enough of them. Once they sold out in March 2015 it was too late to strike more due to the Mint's policy of not making coins with previous years' dates. Prices for Eleanor proofs jumped almost immediately and have remained high to this day. The uncircs also carry a premium, although a smaller one. The other 2014's, with mintages similar to Eleanor, fetch much lower premiums in proof, and all three are still available from the Mint for $720 in uncirculated condition, with likely mintages under 2,000 each.

• Options
    I really hope that they extend this series for many years. Why? Instead of having to buy 4 to 5 different spouse coins every year, we will have on average 1 coin every six years (not a big burden on budget). Moreover, it will keep reminding people of the existence of this series. It may even expand the collector base in certain situations (e.g., having both bill C and Hilary C on spouse coins).

• Options
    Got itchy finger?

which one will have the lowest gold coin mintage from US Mint in the past 100 years?

Just released sale number

First Spouse HP2 2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - HARDING

First Spouse HP4 2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - COOLIDGE

First Spouse HP5 2014 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - HOOVER

First Spouse HP6

2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - HOOVER

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got itchy finger?
    which one will have the lowest gold coin mintage from US Mint in the past 100 years?

Just released sale number

First Spouse HP2 2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - HARDING

First Spouse HP4 2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - COOLIDGE

First Spouse HP5 2014 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ - HOOVER

First Spouse HP6

2014 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ - HOOVER

The question is how long will they remain on sale?
    What was the final Eleanor MS sales number?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried getting some info from the US Mint regarding how long these will remain on sale, since they have been flagged as 'limited'. According to the individual I talked to, 'limited' refers to the fact they are limited mintage... but they will still be available next year (unless the 'limited' mintage sells out). So most likely they are not going to be pulled from sale at the end of the year. But the individual I spoke with was just the usual general help type person.... so who knows?

Just depends on how many they currently have minted for each one. Your guess is as good as mine.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    I tried getting some info from the US Mint regarding how long these will remain on sale, since they have been flagged as 'limited'. According to the individual I talked to, 'limited' refers to the fact they are limited mintage... but they will still be available next year (unless the 'limited' mintage sells out). So most likely they are not going to be pulled from sale at the end of the year. But the individual I spoke with was just the usual general help type person.... so who knows?

Just depends on how many they currently have minted for each one. Your guess is as good as mine.

The Mint left the 2013's up for sale well past the end of 2014 and into 2015. When did they pull them? It seems like it wasn't too long ago, maybe August........September?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I think Eleanor sold out at 1886. If you look at mintages of Eleanor and how many Coolidge and Harding proofs were sold I would guess that there would be somewhere between 100-150 of each of the uncirculated left for the Harding, Coolidge and Hoover. I am surprised the mint didn't announce that these would be pulled at the end of the year. If they would have I think they would have been sold out by now. Once the numbers indicate that there are less than a 100 left of one of these issues I would guess they would be gone in a week or so. The Harding, Coolidge or Hoover need to show less than 100 real quick based on there sales or the Roosevelt will be the lowest minted. I believe the chances of the mint pulling these at the end of the year are very slim although it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. I have a few of each and the lower the numbers the better.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

You suggested an interesting perspective. So I did my homework. Ida McKinley debuted on 11/14/13 and pulled on 5/28/15. Florence harding debuted on 7/10/2014. Some simple math shows that the mint could remove them around 1/31/2016- just around pat nixon's debut time. So I am going to buy a few harding and Coolidge ASAP, definitely before pat nixon's debut.

The Mint left the 2013's up for sale well past the end of 2014 and into 2015. When did they pull them? It seems like it wasn't too long ago, maybe August........September?

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    If a big shot Dealer ends up with 100's of the "lowest mintage" FS Gold Coin you can be assured they will ask around $6,000 or more a piece for them. But who will actually need them at any price?

Who actually wants these at US Mint issue prices? Who will want them at 10X the US Mint issue price?

Something to think about.

At series end will dumping take place? Something like the end of the State Quarters?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: FullStrike
    Who actually wants these at US Mint issue prices? Who will want them at 10X the US Mint issue price?

Probably most current collectors of this series have their coins already. Once the series is complete and approximate mintages are known, there may be some additional interest by the "low mintage" crowd. New collectors may also stoke demand, not necessarily for the entire series but for individual coins (Eleanor, Jackie) or subsets ("Liberty" set of 4 coins, 20th Century set). Most new collectors will likely opt for the proofs, as is the case now. I anticipate a slow rise in value and popularity for the First Spouse coins.

• Options
    If there is a big run up in gold, any coin could have a surviving mintage under roosevelt. just food for thought. my guess is still on hoover but its my WAG.

• Options
    Come on, us mint, give us a new year gift by removing all remaining 2014 spouse coins NOW...

You suggested an interesting perspective. So I did my homework. Ida McKinley debuted on 11/14/13 and pulled on 5/28/15. Florence harding debuted on 7/10/2014. Some simple math shows that the mint could remove them around 1/31/2016- just around pat nixon's debut time. So I am going to buy a few harding and Coolidge ASAP, definitely before pat nixon's debut.

• Options
    99 Lou Hoover proofs left.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OLC
    99 Lou Hoover proofs left.

How are you able to determine that number?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    We might end up with 3 key dates all within 15 coins of each other mintage-wise.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Try and buy 100 on the mints website and it will tell you how many are left.
  • Options
    Just did a check on the Hoover proof... and now 54 left in stock. Perhaps a final mintage around 2385? How does this rate in the mintage hierarchy?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still mad they did the dumb Alice Paul issue instead of adding another to the Liberty subset.

Nobody cares that I'm mad about anything, of course, but where else can I go to complain about such a thing? image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dpoole
    I'm still mad they did the dumb Alice Paul issue instead of adding another to the Liberty subset.

Nobody cares that I'm mad about anything, of course, but where else can I go to complain about such a thing? image

I care.. it bothers me, too. A $10 gold Indian cent obverse design from that time period would have been so amazing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file