Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GROUP RIP---POST YOUR PACKS AND CARNAGE

Comments

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the '89 Upper Deck boxes have the Dale Murphy error or any errors for that matter?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won't be long now!

Anyone ripping their 75 mini packs??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Holy crap. Forgot about this. Paying now!
  • Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Paid up. Sorry for being a slacker.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    super! all paid--hope to see some minty stars in a few days!!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Hi, does anyone know if PSA will slab a 2000 Playoff Contenders Football pack? If not, can it be wrapped by BBCE before they ship it? I would pay for it if necessary.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    My packs (and box) arrived today, thanks again Manny and Steve! Might rip the modern but haven't decided yet... I do have a stack of other packs with loose seals or a rip/tear present that might have to fill the urge, for the time being.

Edited to shrink pic size.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Baz, that was fast shipping! Come on...I know you want to rip those packs!
  • Options

<< <i>Baz, that was fast shipping! Come on...I know you want to rip those packs! >>

The 75s are what I really want to open!! But gonna see how long my will power can last. Also want to rip into those 93 SPs. I swear it smells like there's a Yankee in one of the packs... image ... but probably not the one I would want.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Package arrived image
  • Options
    I might be wrong, so hopefully the experts can chime in, but it looks like one of my FB cellos is missing quite a few cards.
  • Options
    Here are a couple pictures. These are my first '81 Topps FB cellos so I don't know what I'm looking for. The pack showing Charlie Smith is the one that looks like cards are missing. Is this a typical Topps quality control issue?

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a lousy looking wrap job. I know the factory is known to have had miswraps so maybe that's the case. I don't have much experience with '81 football to comment though. I'm sure Grote and a few others will have something to say about it.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know if the '89 Upper Deck boxes have the Dale Murphy error or any errors for that matter? >>

The Murphy error and other errors were in the very early low number boxes. These boxes are the later boxes with the high numbers.
    James
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, that's a lousy looking wrap job. I know the factory is known to have had miswraps so maybe that's the case. I don't have much experience with '81 football to comment though. I'm sure Grote and a few others will have something to say about it. >>

It would make sense that the seal would be messy if there were fewer cards in the pack, as the cello would be looser when sealed.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Won't be long now!

Anyone ripping their 75 mini packs?? >>

Yes! I'm planning to rip a couple.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Ripping now, nothing big. The 81 cello had 18 cards in it.
  • Options

<< <i>Ripping now, nothing big. The 81 cello had 18 cards in it. >>

Yikes...should have been 27, right? How are the cards?
    Any more ripping today?
  • Options

Did you maintain the sequencing? You should have it checked by the experts to see if it properly follows the sheets.
  • Options
    Yeah, supposed to be 27, so I'm out 9 cards image

No hits, but these are the nicest of the bunch. Not sure if any are worth grading. If so, please chime in and let me know.

[URL=http://s155.photobucket.com/user/pwm29/media/img450-001_zpshdfepqui.jpg.html]image
  • Options

<< <i>

Did you maintain the sequencing? You should have it checked by the experts to see if it properly follows the sheets. >>

Wish I had thought of that, but they're all mixed up now. For everyone opening the packs, I'd definitely keep an eye out, but if I had to make an educated guess I'd say it's more a quality-control thing. With that said, I don't think I'd have sold a pack which was noticeably missing about 1/3 of the cards.....but no complaints.
  • Options

<< <i>

Did you maintain the sequencing? You should have it checked by the experts to see if it properly follows the sheets. >>

I would be interested in learning how to detect proper sequencing!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think a cello with that few cards is almost certainly real. Pack fakers would never short it by that many cards and make the seal look so bad. I vote for factory error.
  • Options

<< <i>I would think a cello with that few cards is almost certainly real. Pack fakers would never short it by that many cards and make the seal look so bad. I vote for factory error. >>

+1. Even so, send that pic to Steve and I bet he'd make it right for you.

<< <i>I would be interested in learning how to detect proper sequencing >>

I'm no expert, but pretty sure with the 81 set there's just short sequence groups, with a random order to those groups. So you can tell if a pack is legit or not, but can't necessarily "search" a pack.
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know if the '89 Upper Deck boxes have the Dale Murphy error or any errors for that matter? >>

The Murphy error and other errors were in the very early low number boxes. These boxes are the later boxes with the high numbers.
    James >>

Not sure what you mean by "These boxes are the later boxes with the high numbers", but those of us that purchased the 89 UD boxes are suppose to be getting the low series numbered cards. I would think there could be a chance for a Dale Murphy error card.

I am surprised to see some have received their cards. Someone on this thread said mailings were to take place today (Monday).
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I think the first handful of people who paid dang near instantly had packages go out last Friday. Everyone else had them go out today is what I would guess.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I would think a cello with that few cards is almost certainly real. Pack fakers would never short it by that many cards and make the seal look so bad. I vote for factory error. >>

+1. Even so, send that pic to Steve and I bet he'd make it right for you.

>>

No doubt, but we're good. I was going to give one of the packs away but ripped them when I saw that one was short. I'll just grab a wax pack instead.
  • Options
    KyndbrothaKyndbrotha Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Package arrived and I live in Honolulu. Greats service from everyone involved.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Ripped two 82 cellos and two wax packs. Got 10 HOFers and a Rose AS and base. Registration was bad on a lot of them and many looked like the right side had been cut by a 5 year old, very curvy. Very nice Henderson and Stargell but both had tiny pin-sized impressions in them.

If anyone gets an 82 chet lemon they think would grade an 8 or better, let me know.

ETA photos.

• Options
    LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I was going to rip mine tonight but just as I set the packs on the scanner the power went out in the whole valley. Do you think that's a sign lol? I did rip six 88 donruss rookies sets in the dark (in their place) haha! Looking for my own self sub GAR PSA 10 thanks curch for the deal! One may have a chance. With our busy lives today it is sure great to have the lights go out and have my boys and baby doll all curl up around the candles. Just talk and connect (though we are all real close) it's just cleansing!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would be interested in learning how to detect proper sequencing! >>

For what it's worth I saved a few photos from the thread were a dude ripped FB wax boxes from 1980 thru 1989 and one of the wax pack pics I saved had a few of the same cards as shown above (Harold J., Charlie Smith). As someone mentioned you get a short sequence of the same cards but it flips between multiple sheets so card A from sheet 1 isn't always followed by card B from sheet 2 but it will always be followed by a card in the same position on the other sheets, example the next card will come from row 3 column 4 but it could be sheet 2 or sheet 3 card

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>I would be interested in learning how to detect proper sequencing! >>

A long time dilemma on these forums:

Share the information to help members protect themselves.

OR

Share the information to help pack resealers and/or searchers rip off others.

Snorto~

• Options
    With regard to sequencing, for late 1970s and early 1980s, there are multiple possible sequences and the sequences break in mid packs so there really is no way to bank on a particular card coming up next (or several cards deep).

Also, the 81 short cello is almost certainly a factory error~as David said, no way a resealer would put together a pack with that kind of red flag if they were trying to get it to pass.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>With regard to sequencing, for late 1970s and early 1980s, there are multiple possible sequences and the sequences break in mid packs so there really is no way to bank on a particular card coming up next (or several cards deep).

Also, the 81 short cello is almost certainly a factory error~as David said, no way a resealer would put together a pack with that kind of red flag if they were trying to get it to pass. >>

Don't count on it. Remember the one group rip where we busted a 1980 wax box and we were getting VG commons? I got an Expos team card that was checked off!
  • Options
    LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ripped two 82 cellos and two wax packs. Got 10 HOFers and a Rose AS and base. Registration was bad on a lot of them and many looked like the right side had been cut by a 5 year old, very curvy. Very nice Henderson and Stargell but both had tiny pin-sized impressions in them.

If anyone gets an 82 chet lemon they think would grade an 8 or better, let me know.

ETA photos.

image >>

82 Topps Rickey is in my top 10 all time favorite cards though I've never owned one.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>With regard to sequencing, for late 1970s and early 1980s, there are multiple possible sequences and the sequences break in mid packs so there really is no way to bank on a particular card coming up next (or several cards deep).

Also, the 81 short cello is almost certainly a factory error~as David said, no way a resealer would put together a pack with that kind of red flag if they were trying to get it to pass. >>

Don't count on it. Remember the one group rip where we busted a 1980 wax box and we were getting VG commons? I got an Expos team card that was checked off! >>

Yes, but that was completely different from this case. A resealer is not going to make half a cello pack that is clearly visible to the naked eye without even opening it. Also, it sounds like the other packs (at least to this point) were fine. Miswraps are not that uncommon from Topps, particularly from the early 1980s.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    bump--any packages today??

more importantly--any rips today???image
  • Options

<< <i>bump--any packages today??

more importantly--any rips today???image >>

UPS shows mine is coming Thursday....which means I won't be able to get around to the rip festival until Sunday or Monday.
    Anyone else going for a rip tonight?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ripped two 82 cellos and two wax packs. Got 10 HOFers and a Rose AS and base. Registration was bad on a lot of them and many looked like the right side had been cut by a 5 year old, very curvy. Very nice Henderson and Stargell but both had tiny pin-sized impressions in them.

ETA photos.

image >>

82 Topps Rickey is in my top 10 all time favorite cards though I've never owned one. >>

Sorry for the stains on the Fingers and Perez cards!! image
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Davis - sounds like you were given a routing number for your mailing. When I called in and paid, it seemed like a very "rushed" transaction and I didn't even have a chance to ask about the mailing, a routing number, or to even give them an email address or phone number. How did you get your routing number? This was my first order from them and maybe that is the difference.

• Options

<< <i>Davis - sounds like you were given a routing number for your mailing. When I called in and paid, it seemed like a very "rushed" transaction and I didn't even have a chance to ask about the mailing, a routing number, or to even give them an email address or phone number. How did you get your routing number? This was my first order from them and maybe that is the difference. >>

They were quick on the phone to get all my shipping and cc info as well. Likely because there are 75 of us calling over a couple days, plus their normal orders. I didn't get tracking info or give them my email. I emailed Steve over the weekend and he let me know that "all packages will ship on Monday". Apparently some of the folks quick to pay had theirs shipped late last week and that's why they got there packages already.

I can tell when the package is going to arrive because I know BBCE uses UPS to ship the packages. Anything shipped to my address via UPS shows up when I log in to UPS my choice. I think anyone can register for UPS My Choice and it will tell you when packages are scheduled to arrive and you can schedule alternate dates if you won't be home.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    box arrived today.....just an 1989 upper deck box. Added a few other boxes, and the only thing that will be ripped is 1992 fleer jumbo looking for Frank Thomas Rookie Sensation! okay....now I feel a bit like Don West.

Jeremy

• Options

<< <i>box arrived today.....just an 1989 upper deck box. Added a few other boxes, and the only thing that will be ripped is 1992 fleer jumbo looking for Frank Thomas Rookie Sensation! okay....now I feel a bit like Don West.

Jeremy >>

"We're going absolutely crazy with this deal folks! We're gonna give you TWO GRIFFEY JR. ROOKIE CARDS!!! image
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Got mine today, might do some ripping this weekend. I'll try to post some pics later tonight. Thanks again for setting this all up!!!
  • Options
    Got mine in today. Are the 81 Football cello packs supposed to have the cards front facing on both sides of the cello? Both of mine I received are like this. Neither one looks short cards but one of them is slightly loose in how it is wrapped. Will post pics here shortly.
  • Options

Here are pics of my two cellos.

Legit or no, I can't find any pics of another cello pack on eBay in which both the front and back of thepack have the cards facing outwards.
  • Options
    Outward facing on front/back is fairly common for 81 football, those packs look pretty good to me. Nice centering showing for that issue.
  • Options

<< <i>image

Here are pics of my two cellos.

Legit or no, I can't find any pics of another cello pack on eBay in which both the front and back of thepack have the cards facing outwards. >>

That is not uncommon for cello packs from Topps. For some years, like 1973 Topps, ALL back cards should be face out on cello packs.

• Options
    Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah the centering looks nice from what I can see also on the center cards near the gum.

Looking to keep these sealed for now. Bought them to open up with my son once he is old enough to enjoy and appreciate them.

He is 13 months old and so far he just enjoys throwing cards as expected. image

It may be 4 or 5 years before these are cracked open.