Options

Roll of 2014 ASES - $350 shipped

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ???
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    So I have a WTB thread that gets nuked because I didn't bump it regularly, but this guy's For Sale listing is allowed to remain?
    There's something seriously wrong with that...
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't reported this to the police yet then the thread should die off imo.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd like to know if he's back ??? >>

Is there any way that the PCGS IT dept can monitor his IP address? >>

Short answer....they can but only as it pertains to coming to their site. They cannot "monitor his IP address", they can only "monitor FOR his IP address coming to their site".

Longer answer....they have always stated that using the BST is a buyer/seller beware. "Use at your own risk". Yes, they have stepped in when someone has been reported to them for scams, etc. However, I can see no benefit to them expending resources on an issue like this, or almost any issue that doesn't directly impact CU/PCGS (ie...someone disparaging them or doing something directly to their business). Problems between 2 individuals on the BST? Not something for PCGS to get actively involved in...other than banning the offending party/parties in any issue.

I'm all for Timbuk3 and him getting the goods/money back. I think it is, however, ridiculous how some people, who weren't directly affected, have seemingly gone overboard; and may have actually negatively impacted a positive resolution to this in a timely manner. >>

If this fool... Danny May was going to pay/not pay .. nothing said anywhere or here ..would have a negative impact......Those posting in this thread surely were interested in justice ....less they become victims by someone else in the future........
    Kind of like the blaming the victim, because someone raised their voice to the thief
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Short answer....they can but only as it pertains to coming to their site. They cannot "monitor his IP address", they can only "monitor FOR his IP address coming to their site".

Longer answer....they have always stated that using the BST is a buyer/seller beware. "Use at your own risk". Yes, they have stepped in when someone has been reported to them for scams, etc. However, I can see no benefit to them expending resources on an issue like this, or almost any issue that doesn't directly impact CU/PCGS (ie...someone disparaging them or doing something directly to their business). Problems between 2 individuals on the BST? Not something for PCGS to get actively involved in...other than banning the offending party/parties in any issue.

I'm all for Timbuk3 and him getting the goods/money back. I think it is, however, ridiculous how some people, who weren't directly affected, have seemingly gone overboard; and may have actually negatively impacted a positive resolution to this in a timely manner. >>

One has to apply for and receive approval to post here. I assume that they have some way of knowing which IP the request came from. When a banned person tries to set up another registration/alt, can't the source of the request be determined and compared against previously banned IDs. I'm not talking about a system that constantly and actively monitors all activity coming into the site. The idea is to keep someone like silvereagle from coming back under another name and doing the same thing to someone else. I assume the system must be able to be easily defeated/circumvented considering the number of banned members who were able to sneak back in over the years.
  • Options

<< <i>So I have a WTB thread that gets nuked because I didn't bump it regularly, but this guy's For Sale listing is allowed to remain?
    There's something seriously wrong with that... >>

I wasn't aware that infrequently bumped threads were nuked. Aren't they simply allowed to fade into the sunset? AFAIK, I can still go back and find a lot of my oldies.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So I have a WTB thread that gets nuked because I didn't bump it regularly, but this guy's For Sale listing is allowed to remain?
    There's something seriously wrong with that... >>

Ummm...I don't recall your BST thread, but I sincerely doubt it was "nuked" because you didn't bump it regularly.
    Fall down multiple pages, yes, but nuked for not bumping? Nah

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

One has to apply for and receive approval to post here. I assume that they have some way of knowing which IP the request came from. When a banned person tries to set up another registration/alt, can't the source of the request be determined and compared against previously banned IDs. I'm not talking about a system that constantly and actively monitors all activity coming into the site. The idea is to keep someone like silvereagle from coming back under another name and doing the same thing to someone else. I assume the system must be able to be easily defeated/circumvented considering the number of banned members who were able to sneak back in over the years. >>

Yes, they can ban specific IPs/ranges. That wasn't the way your original question was set.
    Yes, they can see if an IP is that of someone already banned. Again, not the way your original was asked.

The problem can be that some/many IPs are dynamic and can get reassigned and ban a totally innocent person. Not super likely, but it can happen.

Mainly, in the past, CU has either banned a certain IP/range or, if an alt is in question...errr...an ID in question......image.......they compare to the IP of the suspected alt (original) ID. If the same, ban.

In the past, they have not done active monitoring to detect someone using it in a proactive way. That's a cost on the IT side, particularly if not already set up.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If this fool... Danny May was going to pay/not pay .. nothing said anywhere or here ..would have a negative impact......Those posting in this thread surely were interested in justice ....less they become victims by someone else in the future........
    Kind of like the blaming the victim, because someone raised their voice to the thief >>

Not even a close analogy. I've voiced my support for T3 the entire time. And, yes, if enough people get on someone, they realize that any hope of coming back, no matter how dim it may have been, is virtually nil. So, whereas at one point, they may have hoped to handle it and lay low for awhile and let it blow over, if enough people, that weren't directly affected, keep going on and on, they may decide to cut bait and leave the dude blowing in the wind with nothing.
    So, a slim chance becomes none.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point, it would probably be more effective for the victim (Timbuk3) to find a way to cost effectively file in Small Claims Court in Tacoma. I believe that if he is awarded a judgement, and is unable to actually recover the money, the defendant will still suffer a significant hit on his credit report, which won't go away for a long time.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

One has to apply for and receive approval to post here. I assume that they have some way of knowing which IP the request came from. When a banned person tries to set up another registration/alt, can't the source of the request be determined and compared against previously banned IDs. I'm not talking about a system that constantly and actively monitors all activity coming into the site. The idea is to keep someone like silvereagle from coming back under another name and doing the same thing to someone else. I assume the system must be able to be easily defeated/circumvented considering the number of banned members who were able to sneak back in over the years. >>

Yes, they can ban specific IPs/ranges. That wasn't the way your original question was set.
    Yes, they can see if an IP is that of someone already banned. Again, not the way your original was asked.

The problem can be that some/many IPs are dynamic and can get reassigned and ban a totally innocent person. Not super likely, but it can happen.

Mainly, in the past, CU has either banned a certain IP/range or, if an alt is in question...errr...an ID in question......image.......they compare to the IP of the suspected alt (original) ID. If the same, ban.

In the past, they have not done active monitoring to detect someone using it in a proactive way. That's a cost on the IT side, particularly if not already set up. >>

The active monitoring may be a lot easier if it was part of a new software package for the forums/fora. I doubt they would put much effort into anything associated with the current dinosaur unless it was really really easy to do.
  • Options
    Hey T3 .. still no word from Danny boy May?
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why? Alain Sterk did it at least twice...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>At this point, it would probably be more effective for the victim (Timbuk3) to find a way to cost effectively file in Small Claims Court in Tacoma. I believe that if he is awarded a judgement, and is unable to actually recover the money, the defendant will still suffer a significant hit on his credit report, which won't go away for a long time. >>

A complete waste of time, you can't really anyways because of venue...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why? Alain Sterk did it at least twice... >>

Either they didn't check or didn't care or the alt was smart and used a different computer/IP.
  • Options
    MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    ' image
    '
    lots of arm chair lawyers here.... kinda like the client who represents himself....[see fool for a client]... there's a saying..."everyone has an opinion and and a....." well you get it. This is just another lets hear what you think?... boo hoooo... lets move on.. the lesson was there before the OP got burned... "TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE"... lets move along.
  • Options

<< <i> >>

That says it all.image
  • Options
    More and more time passes..i get much more frustrated!!!!

Countless large & small dollar deals completed
  • Options
    Lol, all you guys are so worried about it why didn't you send Timbuk any money???...
    I think I lost 10-15 lbs in this sauna....
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lol, all you guys are so worried about it why didn't you send Timbuk any money???...
    I think I lost 10-15 lbs in this sauna.... >>

I kind of agree. I got this guy's name burned into my brain at this point and I'm sure I'm not alone.

The money is gone but the message of this thread has served its purpose.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>Lol, all you guys are so worried about it why didn't you send Timbuk any money???...
    I think I lost 10-15 lbs in this sauna.... >>

What? Me worry?image
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, t3 seems to bump the thread as if that action will have some effect on silver eagle/ Dan May. It won't.

Small Claims has been folded into Superior Ct. In most states and I do believe one can appoint a person with POA to file for you.

Dan May doesn't care about his credit.

T3 should find out who Dan May is, exactly where he works-if he works- and have him served at work.

Has T3 filed a police report in Tacoma? Has he filed a report with a Postal Inspector? If he hasn't then it's about time. Has he filed a police report in his town? What is T3 doing to remedy this situation?

Let us know T3 and maybe some can be of assistance.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree streeter
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have always been good deals to be had on the BST, the buyer took a chance and got burned. I am tired of hearing if it's too good to be true explanation, the amount the roll offered was just slightly lower then what someone would have paid. It's not like the guy was selling speakers out of the back of a van.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>There have always been good deals to be had on the BST, the buyer took a chance and got burned. I am tired of hearing if it's too good to be true explanation, the amount the roll offered was just slightly lower then what someone would have paid. It's not like the guy was selling speakers out of the back of a van. >>

Totally agree with Streeter's post/thoughts above and Cakes (quoted bit above).

The "too good to be true" isn't always.....there was at least 1 member on here, some years ago, that would put things up for sale at pretty nice prices (sometimes, too good to be true, imho). He wanted paypal only and within a supershort time (by that night, morning). Turns out, he was good for sending it but his reason was getting quick cash for drugs. If he did it from coins/paypal, his wife wouldn't see it, unlike if he withdrew the money from the bank.

So, the price wasn't that outrageously low, if someone had too many, got a good deal originally, etc.

• Options

<< <i>There have always been good deals to be had on the BST, the buyer took a chance and got burned. I am tired of hearing if it's too good to be true explanation, the amount the roll offered was just slightly lower then what someone would have paid. It's not like the guy was selling speakers out of the back of a van. >>

Luckily ,I had looked at the offer .. but passed .. Why? .. Right in Danny May's post he stated he overspent and was short money

He was selling speakers out of trunk
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Luckily ,I had looked at the offer .. but passed .. Why? .. Right in Danny May's post he stated he overspent and was short money

He was selling speakers out of trunk >>

Ya I was late to that party as well or it would of been me. But I would have him served alredy. It's not the $$$ it's what and how he did it. I can see if you tell me I needed the funds and I'll pay you back in a mo or two with some extra I can rest with that. But to just clam up that's not good. Give the guy a call and let him know what's going on, We all been there. Just me dumb Type2 thinking. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure this guys gonna come through...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty sure this guys gonna come through... >>

T3 keep the thread up dated.... If this Danny May of Tacoma ever pays up
  • Options

Did smoeone pay him a friendly visit?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you feel that "this guys gonna come through"? Care to elaborate?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    :-( !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>:-( !!! >>

What have happened? Any contact? Did you contact police?
  • Options
    I've tried every venue possible. No
    results. I guess this is the end. Thanks
    everyone who supported me with
    their comments both positive and
    negative. My only advise is please be
    careful whom you do business with.
    There are predator here on this site
    as anywhere else. I wish I had better
    news for you all.

Thanks again !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Thanks everyone !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HEY Danny "Judas" May - whats it like to sell your soul to the devil for 20 pieces of silver ? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>Thanks everyone !!! :-) >>

Sorry Danny May of Tacoma Wash.... took your money without shipping coins.......But his name is forever on Google
  • Options
    Thanks guys !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    When you google Danny May Tacoma he comes up as a manager of McDonald's on 6th ave which is close to his house.
  • Options

<< <i>When you google Danny May Tacoma he comes up as a manager of McDonald's on 6th ave which is close to his house. >>

His Tacoma Home-a?
  • Options
    Yes, his address was reported earlier in this thread.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Owing someone $350 is petty larceny.

Conspiring to do so might be felony fraud.

And be careful about contacting anyone at work.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    No one will do anything about $350 theft but they'll hunt you down for a phone call...YA right. Bill collectors do it all the time.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I would mail a demand letter to his presumed work address both the franchise location and the corporate office , and home address. I would as well at least file a police report if you can get them to take it of course. Send a copy of the police report if you can get a copy as well with the demand for payment. It is only a few stamps and nothing can be lost at this point. This is based on the assumption its known for certain where the person works. One can call a work place regarding a debt but there are specific guidelines.

• Options
    Should I continue to bump this thread to inform others
    of these situations or should I just let this thread die
    off ???
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Let it die. Most here know to be careful. Do let us know if he ever makes amends.
  • Options

<< <i>Let it die. Most here know to be careful. Do lets us know if he ever makes amends. >>

No not let it die...Surprised why some want to let this lie down ...

Hey T3..... do you have the cojones to call this Danny May at the McDonald's restaurant ? Nothing to lose ... If not ,ask for the Franchise owner.. I am sure he would be interested if one of his employees is not honest . This Danny May handles tens of thousands of dollars of the restaurant cash
  • Options

<< <i>Should I continue to bump this thread to inform others
    of these situations or should I just let this thread die
    off ??? >>

If he comes back, then bump it, else it does no good if you haven't been made whole by now.

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    bump
  • Options

<< <i>bump >>