Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cross posted from another thread o:)

My slick 1913 s Barber Dime that I had acquired in the raw for three dollars and fifty cents.

The Barber Dimes Dansco collection is currently stuck at 50 coins and needs another 24 more, not including the 1894 s.

After starting the graded slab purchases, just don't find myself spending those kind of monies, so it probably stays in hiatus for some more time.

Cheers. :smiley:

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2022 12:38PM

@erwindoc

Looking at the Heritage archives, I see only two auctions of a blast white NGC MS67 example being sold in the last 20 years.

The same coin sold twice. It sold for 120K in Jan of 2011, and then sold again for 105K in Aug of 2012. The NGC certificate # is different than this coin, and also looking at the close-up pics, it appears to be a different coin than the the subject GC example.

I also see that the Pogue PCGS MS 67 example sold for 160K in 2020, so maybe his price of 170K isn't too far off? I'll go check my checking account again. Last I check I was just a tad short.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hhhmmm… if I sell my Maserati and Ferrari maybe I can swing it.

Now I just need to figure out how to get a Maserati and a Ferrari.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    @erwindoc

Looking at the Heritage archives, I see only two auctions of a blast white NGC MS67 example being sold in the last 20 years.

The same coin sold twice. It sold for 120K in Jan of 2011, and then sold again for 105K in Aug of 2012. The NGC certificate # is different than this coin, and also looking at the close-up pics, it appears to be a different coin than the the subject GC example.

I also see that the Pogue PCGS MS 67 example sold for 160K in 2020, so maybe his price of 170K isn't too far off? I'll go check my checking account again. Last I check I was just a tad short.

Dave

Dave, I already posted the provenance. The coin was out of a DLRC auction...

David Lawrence Rare Coin Auction
    Auction Name: Auction 85: Chi Yin Collection.
    Closed On: Monday, May 1, 2006 6:29 PM.
    Realized: $109,250.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Here is a recent return from our hosts. It was gleaned out of the central midwest from the wild. 1907-P PC53 Barber Half Dollar:

Nice coin- properly graded.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2022 12:37PM

I was going through my picture stores over lunch today and came across this coin. Do any one of you all own this 1907-S Barber Half? I think I kept the image to enjoy the reverse edge toning... or maybe the S/S RPM:

Here is mine in PC55:

• T

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous That's a beautiful '07 S Tim! I want one of those '08 O in the quarter denomination Lenny @paesan - Here's my latest addition to my slabbed set:

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just sent these in raw from my album. I was really happy with the results. Thought the 05 was AU but happy overall. I thought they were just a bit too nice for my album. Now I just have to back fill a few holes....

• Options
    edited January 7, 2023 11:13AM

Nothing like the wonderful coins on this thread but bulk of my collection was acquired in the raw for under $3.50 each .
    Photography skills as always really suck because they don't show clearly inside the Dansco o:)

:smiley:

• Options

@JeffMTampa Beautiful play of color and surface freshness Jeff.

@Eldorado9 Wow is that '01 proof beautiful!

@jedm the 1910-D quarter is a better date. Add it to your collection with pride!

@paesan Nice '08-O dime Lenny!

Here is my 1908-O in PC45 obtained in 2018:

• Options

I am looking for comparisons for the '97-S centered S Quarter. This looks like an image from @barberkeys Vern. Is this your image Vern? do you own a center MM '97-S?

Comparing it with mine. MM placement looks the same:

• Options

@JeffMTampa That '95 shows a little bit of die clash on the reverse Jeff! @vulcanize Looks like you're having fun putting the dimes set together I know I sure enjoyed doing mine, sorry I can't help you with any fillers.

• Options

@jedm said:
    @JeffMTampa That '95 shows a little bit of die clash on the reverse Jeff! @vulcanize Looks like you're having fun putting the dimes set together I know I sure enjoyed doing mine, sorry I can't help you with any fillers.

@vulcanize Are you still trying to keep costs at $3.50 or less? Tough ambition since you already have a lot of the common dates.

• Options

Thank you @sedulous and @jedm

The Dansco just came off the back burner and thought I would pamper myself this holiday o:)

Am game for any grades at this point of time to complete the set after having finally finished the barber halves Dansco in the raw earlier this year. :wink:

Cheers.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

A modest AU-50 dime...

More coins, less government.
  • Options

I won this one at GC tonight. Missed out on the '07 O though, it went for almost double the price guide ;)

• Options

On August 14, 2013, I purchased this '07-S quarter from a younger man on Glenn Holsonbake's Americana Rare Coin team at the Chicago ANA WFoM for $50. I got around to re-imaging it today. What I noticed after reviewing this new digital image is it may have a slight RPM:

• T

• Options

@erwindoc - Jason, love your new F12 1896-s. Beautiful example…nice and original!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@sedulous Tim I'm not sure if what you're seeing is an rpm on the '07 S, but here's mine for comparison, and the S is much thinner, so could very well be:

• Options

Jed @jedm, Lower serif on the S... check it out:

• Options

Found a minor upgrade for my common date '02-P. Now PC45. Was PC40 CAC. Tough time telling if there is much difference:

1902-P Barber Quarter PCGS XF45 Older Holder

1902-P Barber Quarter PCGS XF40 CAC Older Holder

• Tim

• Options

Here is another pickup. The only real distraction is in Liberty's chin area. The luster is pretty fantastic.

1914-P Barber Quarter PCGS AU58

Thanks Vern, you have a beautiful center MM '97-S quarter. Thank you for verifying it's status as part of your collection.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Nice to get a full rim key date!!
    VG-9 LOL

Rob
  • Options

@sedulous - Tim that '02 has got excellent eye appeal imho!

• Options
    edited December 16, 2022 5:54AM

Here is one I secured from raw state. Taken out of the wild and placed into a PCGS-graded VF holder. It was just returned from our hosts this week:

1894-S Barber Quarter Far Right MM position in PCGS VF25

• Tim

• Options

@BarberFanatic said:
    I thought I would end my hiatus and grace all of you Barber bozos with my presence. You're welcome!

Edited to add a picture of the greatest Barber coin I ever had the privilege of owning:

And yes, the blue on the obverse was absolutely that electric looking.

I love it! When you get tired of owning it, please let me know!

• Options

Not often, it happens once in a while. The grade you get back is better than what you expected.

1909-P Barber Dime in PCGS MS62

• Options

Just double-checking that everyone has already read this Barber Half Dollar article:

https://www.numismaticnews.net/world-coins/collecting-barber-half-dollars

• Options

Thanks for post it. Fun read! I would like to do the set again, but this time at a higher level. My current set is an album full of the coins they described, with an occasional VG or AG.

• Options

The Barber half set is a very fun set to complete. Of the sets that I've completed and sold it was the one I held for the longest time before selling.

• Options

This one came back from PCGS not too long ago. They gave it a grade of AU53.

1905-S Barber Quarter PCGS AU53

• Tim

• Options

@BarberFanatic said:
    I thought I would end my hiatus and grace all of you Barber bozos with my presence. You're welcome!

Edited to add a picture of the greatest Barber coin I ever had the privilege of owning:

HOLY S*** !

Dave

• Options

Somebody recently purchased this PC58 1909-O Barber Quarter from Gerry Fortin's website before I even knew anything about it. Bummed.

• Options

There's a super nice '01 O there as well, that hasn't been scooped up yet.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:

Now THAT is gorgeous! I'd give it five stars!

• Options

@jedm said:
    There's a super nice '01 O there as well, that hasn't been scooped up yet.

Already have that slot filled up Jed... twice over... in addition to a VF30 PCGS.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Holidays!

A couple of PCGS AU-53 dimes....

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Some more recently returned dimes:

1914-D PCGS VF35 Barber Dime

1892 PCGS AU55 with RPD Barber Dime

• T

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file