Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way Justin. Nobody is prying away the 04-s. Love that original coin! :D

I remember that ex-Mike Hayes 1903-s well. Great coin…just a little too much meat for my lowly VF set.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

I went back and looked at our message exchange about the 03-S. I was hounding you about that 04-S then too. I should have never sold that coin, ;) At least I know where it is. :D

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2022 9:31PM

Justin, I come to your house with set-up in hand and you take pictures tethered to your cell phone. Simple as that!

You and Dave crack me up! Here you both are, having four of among the best eyes for coins... and you are haggling about one of the best coins I would expect for the grade that I would never have a chance at. Funny! They are so great when those pictures show up on this thread. I would simply be humbled and honored if I had an opportunity to take pictures for you (expecting you don't live too far away! - midwest). Not trying to speak for Jeff @JeffMTampa but he probably would be just as good photo-wise (I learned what I know from him and Tim T.) - southeast.

Won an 1895-P in tonight's Heritage Auction to help with date-placement studies. I will take improved pictures once it arrives.

By the way, that '03-S Half is stellar!

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited October 18, 2022 9:59PM

Here is my main bread-n-butter 1895-P Barber Quarter in PCGS XF45. With the color, I think I like this one better. Look at the bottom of the 1 on both coins relative to the dentil placement:

• T

• Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Recent pickup. PC 35

• Options

Another dime...

• T

• Options
    edited October 24, 2022 8:09PM

Question: What is going on with this star? a cud on the north side of this star?

Edit: The end of this ribbon is partially filled as well?

1895-S PCGS VF25 Barber Quarter both obverse and reverse:

• T

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die chip, yes.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple more dimes...both PCGS AU-55...

More coins, less government.
  • Options

@LogPotato said:
    Tried a different method this time to get a little more light on the the coin. Didn't check my notes but I think I bought this about 2.5 years ago.

I like the '93-S! Here is an '06-O... I have been studying this date-mint... F12

• Options

Just back from our hosts... tough half dollar. Crossed from ICG...

• Tim

• Options

Just arrived post-auction:

• Tim

• Options

A nice dime that passed through...pix courtesy Barberkeys....PC 50...

• Options

A 58+ that passed through....

• Options

PCGS F-15...Tough date!

• Options

@paesan Nice Lenny! Here is a PC58! Only 5 with CAC.

• T

• Options

There are FS-901 1892-O Clashed Dies Barber Quarters varieties. I have learned that the strength of clash can vary and you can get different qualities of specimens.

This one just came back from the graders. This is a really strong version of the clash! Prior to this grading event, it was never recognized as an FS-901...

If you have varieties that are cool, let me know at varieties@barbercoins.org. I heard a new Cherrypickers book is coming out in the first couple of weeks prior to Christmas (December)... what have you heard?

• Tim

• Options
    edited November 1, 2022 8:51AM

Here's my 1892 O 25C FS-901 for comparison:

Tim, it appears the clash is more pronounced on your coin.

• Options

Here's my 1897 S 50C. I purchased it in the current holder; I don't know if it's made a trip to CAC:

Does CAC publish coins that have been reviewed but not approved?

• Options
    edited November 2, 2022 4:07AM

@JeffMTampa Jeff, I would refer you to the CAC FAQ where it answers your question. https://www.caccoin.com/faq/...

Why can’t I use the CAC Verification Search to look up a PCGS or NGC graded coin that has no CAC sticker to find out if it has already been reviewed by CAC?

Many coins that CAC has reviewed, but did not sticker, have been accurately graded by PCGS or NGC. However, CAC stickers only coins that are solid for the grade, often referred to as B quality coins, and those that are considered high-end for the grade, which are often called A quality coins. Those that are accurately graded by PCGS or NGC, but are considered low-end for the grade and often referred to as C quality coins, are not stickered by CAC.

Furthermore, CAC wishes to protect the interest of an owner of a coin that has been reviewed by CAC but did not receive a sticker. Therefore, CAC does not want to compromise the value of such a coin by disclosing a negative review by CAC.

Are the serial numbers of PCGS or NGC coins submitted to CAC for verification recorded? If so, are coins automatically rejected by CAC that have previously been submitted but were not stickered?

The serial numbers of all PCGS and NGC coins that are submitted to CAC are recorded at the time they are entered into the CAC system.

All PCGS or NGC coins that are submitted to CAC are reviewed for CAC verification whether they have previously been submitted to CAC or not. Occasionally a coin that has previously been rejected for CAC verification is reconsidered by CAC and stickered.

• Options

A couple of 14-S dimes that passed through, PC-58...

• Options

Srotag collection. Picked up in May 2020. '97-O PC45 CAC:

• Tim

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2022 7:33PM

VF-20 '97O From Harry Laibstain in 2020

• Options

Let's go for 3 in a row:

As I recall, I purchased this one in an NGC AU 53 holder from Liz.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2022 6:38AM

@JeffMTampa said:
    Let's go for 3 in a row:

As I recall, I purchased this one in an NGC AU 53 holder from Liz.

'97-O BQ. Looks like yours and Jed's has a similar mintmark placement. Mine is a little higher projecting itself as more "centered" in the cavity opening, although not quite.

• Options

Here is another recently-delivered newp. A 1906-D N58 Half Dollar:

• Options

PCGS AU-55

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some pretty one's for my Barber friends:

• Options
    edited November 6, 2022 2:23AM

@Eldorado9 Wow, how do you pick a favorite? from the '05-O luster and rim toning to the colorful 1911 Proof? Although it is a Half Dollar, the 1906-O as a Barber Quarter would have had a hidden, unexposed sense of scarcity to it. At this level of preservation, Eldo's 1906-O Half Dollar should not be seen as much different in scarcity level... in fact, very rare is what I think Ron Guth and David Akers eludes to out on CoinFacts (https://www.pcgs.com/cert/19806532). The Shireman coin exudes overall quality to me in a way that anyone would be proud of owning if they had it in their collections! TOP POP 1 OF 2! Thank you Eldo!

@paesan Lenny, What a really nice, sandy-dusted 1911-S Half Dollar! In that manner of preservation, it sure looks beautiful 😍

@JeffMTampa @jedm Jeff and Jed, thank you for sharing your elusive-date 1897-O (New Orleans) Quarter dollars .. both look neat in their own rights respectively!

For me, here is another recently received newp I get to thank (@paesan) Lenny (again) for such a great pick-up! An 1892 Barber Quarter with a TDR (Triple Die Reverse) variety designation.... known from Fivaz-Stanton's Cherrypicker's Guide as FS-801. The dot between the U in UNITED and the Q in QUARTER lays it out for me nicely:

• Tim

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous You have a way with words Sir! The 1906-0 is one of the standouts in my set, as it was in Dr. Shireman's as well. It really has a unique quality to the surfaces. The obverse is completely mark free, and slightly PL, with some evidence of die polish. It clearly has been a treasured coin ever since it came off the press in New Orleans, way back in 1906.

• Options

A dime that passed through, PC-58. Pix courtesy Barberkeys...

• Options

Another Barber Dime, this one is a PCGS AU-55. Thanks for the pix, Vern!

• Options

A couple of re-imaged older-holder '93-O quarters:

1893-O Barber Quarter with Far-Rt Mid O mintmark placement in PCGS XF40 CAC holder. This coin was obtained in June of 2020. It has a provenancial history with the previous owner 100% Swede. Of course Lenny (@peasan) did a great job brokering the deal:

1893-O Barber Quarter with Far-Rt Low O mintmark placement in PCGS VF30 holder (not yet sent to CAC). I have had this coin since November 2011 with a hammer price of $70 in a Heritage #131147 Tuesday Night Auction:

• Tim

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@sedulous said:

@Eldorado9 said:
    Does anyone here own a Mint State 1896-o Half? I'd love to see a few examples, even if in circulated condition.

Recently shared this... I don't mind resharing it! BTW, slight star doubling...

1896-O Half Dollar PC58:

• Tim

Beautiful coin! Quite the rarity in this grade !!! A top Barber coin.

WOWWWW!

• Options
    edited November 11, 2022 10:30PM

@ARCO said:

@semikeycollector said:

@sedulous said:

@Eldorado9 said:
    Does anyone here own a Mint State 1896-o Half? I'd love to see a few examples, even if in circulated condition.

Recently shared this... I don't mind resharing it! BTW, slight star doubling...

1896-O Half Dollar PC58:

• Tim

Beautiful coin! Quite the rarity in this grade !!! A top Barber coin.

WOWWWW!

Thanks @ARCO! This 1896-O Half (click the 'show previous quotes' link) in PC58 is one of eight available AU58's and one of two CAC-stickered coins. It would be neat if someone would post the other one so we all can see what the other PCGS AU58 CAC looks like! (big hint here)... who has it?

• Options
    edited November 11, 2022 10:52PM

Never mind! I found it. Images courtesy of Heritage Auctions.

1896-O Barber Half Dollar PCGS AU58 CAC from "The Property of a Lady" Collection. Nice album toning. The description from the 2018 sale can be seen at the "Share Lot" link below:

Share Lot
    1896-O 50C AU58 PCGS. CAC.... https://coins.ha.com/itm/barber-half-dollars/1896-o-50c-au58-pcgs-cac/a/1272-4874.s

• Options

PC-50

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's my 1897 S 50C. I purchased it in the current holder; I don't know if it's made a trip to CAC:

Does CAC publish coins that have been reviewed but not approved?

It would be nice if you moved onto Classic cars, or toasters from the 1940's. Anything to get you away from owning all the great Barber Halves. You truly have a collection of the most aethestic and difficult Barber Halves I have seen. Well done!

• Options
    edited November 12, 2022 8:42PM

@sedulous said:
    Never mind! I found it. Images courtesy of Heritage Auctions.

1896-O Barber Half Dollar PCGS AU58 CAC from "The Property of a Lady" Collection. Nice album toning. The description from the 2018 sale can be seen at the "Share Lot" link below:

Personally, I like your coin much better. Yours has that antiqued silver look with hidden luster dripping from everywhere. I am not a fan (not even a little) of the "tru" view pics, so I didn't want to use it for the reverse pic. They aren't how coins in look in hand in normal light. Nonetheless, I did a little comparison using your pics and the obverse of the other 96-O CAC. Indeed, you have the nicest AU58 in existance. That is no easy feat.
    Oh, and the center mintmark 97-S quarter...your killing it. Stop already!

• Options

Another, more recent, re-image. The 1906-O (New Orleans) for a long time was considered more of a common issue. Not the case!

• Tim

• Options

A Micro-O, PCGS VF-20

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, anyone here win that 1896S VF30 CAC quarter tonight on GC? I got outbid on it.

• Options
    edited November 14, 2022 11:33AM

@erwindoc said:
    Ok, anyone here win that 1896S VF30 CAC quarter tonight on GC? I got outbid on it.

Not me. I wasn't observant enough to take notice so I missed that one. I did win another quarter though at GC. Will post later.

Edit:

• T

• Options

PCGS XF-40......

• Options

Nice one Lenny @paesan with that 1904 Half

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file