• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Three times a charm??????
    Craig

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Craig,

Three times the charm, eh ?

In all seriousness, the coin that you posted was the worst coin to image.
    None of the images I saw of this coin ( including the one I had John Baumgart
    image for me ) do any justice to this coin.

In hand, this coin screams with Amber toning and full cartwheel luster. It imaged
    as though it has grease stains ( which I gaurantee it does not ). In hand there is a
    blush of Amber toning over the coin and I knew exactly how scarce this date is in
    high end AU condition.

I recently sold off another 1909-S Quarter in PCGS 53 to a gentleman who lurks on
    these forums and buys on our BST. I am sure he loves the coin as much as I did when
    I first located it. I also had a choice XF 45 that I picked up from JT for a friend whose Son
    is working on a VF/XF set of Quarters. He is pleased as well. Buying this date is not easy,
    if found in 55-58 you'd be wise to salt a couple away. One of these days, they'll reach new
    heights - like her New Orleans sister.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Here is another 1900-S Dime that I bought because of the toning.
    At last count, I had bought a good half dozen AU 55-58's - and all nice ones too !

I settled on this one - Its an amazing coin - and I had new images of it taken over
    Thanksgiving. I am waiting for the coins to be edited - but my friend, Mike Valente
    sent me this Reverse of the one I am keeping.{ All the others are now sold }.

Here is Heritage's snap shot images...

... and here is just the reverse of what the coin actually looks like:

Never rely on Heritage's images - tha way you won't be disappointed !!

Thx again, MV.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is another 1900-S Dime that I bought because of the toning.
    At last count, I had bought a good half dozen AU 55-58's - and all nice ones too !

I settled on this one - Its an amazing coin - and I had new images of it taken over
    Thanksgiving. I am waiting for the coins to be edited - but my friend, Mike Valente
    sent me this Reverse of the one I am keeping.{ All the others are now sold }. >>

Tell him to hurry up! Here's a quick photoshop job with those annoying prongs chopped out.

image >>

They're coming lol Just finished finals this afternoon, and without the demands of studying 14 hrs a day, I should finally be able to get started on cropping and editing them.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig - Nice coin not to sell.

Mike - Good looking 00-S dime.

Pics for this AM, in Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, Mowgli's Half Dollar Dansco album:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love them Mowgli albums!!
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    $36 never looked so cool.
    Was always a dream of mine to do, but just tough to stick to on so many levels.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    I agree Dogwood. Many's the time I was tempted to start a raw
    album out of certified coins, but my friend Peter Shireman convinced
    me otherwise. He was proven right.

Still, it's nice seeing them in an album, good job, Mowgli !!

Thanks Vern for displaying them !

Edit: Gotta love auto correct. Ugh.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, In what way was Peter right? Was it purely from a value point of view?

Paesan
  • Options

Paesan...PM sent
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    It certainly is great to see a collection in an album. Wonderful job Mowgli.

Paesan - NTT doesn't ring a bell. Country, perhaps?

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC40:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Here's my take on cracking out coins for an album: Have at it!

Of course, exceptional coins, whether it's an extremely high grade or conditional rarity, or other truly scarce coins would be an exception. Speaking of Barber quarters, which is the series I feel most comfortable commenting on, if I were to do a set averaging XF-40 in grade, the only coins I wouldn't crack out are the big 3 and the 09-O.

Common XF quarters go for about 75-100 dollars. The holder is worth (arguably) 25% of the coin. Not sure why someone would pay that much to grade common coins, but it happens.

I love graded coins, but the industry is a cash cow for sure, and to quote an unknown source, the "plastic tombs" in which many common coins reside are expendable in my opinion.

I guess in the end, everyone has to do what makes them happy, and resale is an important consideration for most people. I have no problem hammering out a 98-S VF 25 for the good book.

Paesan
  • Options
    In this climate most people would not do an AU set of Barber Halves in a Dansco. It wasn't as painful as it might seem. Only 22 of the coins were purchased slabbed and of those only two were in a PCGS holder. You might not be able to tell from the pictures but the 1901-S is not there - it is an ANACS 62 holder. I didn't give a thought to how this would affect resale because it is a hobby for me. I'll slab them when it comes time to sell because most people are more comfortable with them professionally graded.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options

Couldn't help but notice that the 05-O is also missing.
    A couple of years ago, I bought an AU 50 complete set
    ( minus the 05-O ) and thought its a SOB to locate in AU.

Nice looking set... Thanks for letting Vern image your sets
    and post them for us to look at. It's been a pleasure.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    I'm glad some of you are enjoying seeing Barbers in a Dansco. At one point my main source suggested that I stop cracking them out - especially the NCG and PCGS coins but it was too late for some of them. I did keep a few in the holders. The 1905-O half is in an ANACS 55 holder - which some people would consider raw. In retrospect, I would have kept the ANACS 50 1904-S in its holder as well but my guess is it would have to be in a PCGS holder eventually so it doesn't matter - notwithstanding PCGS's final judgment.

I appreciate the feedback on these coins as no one had ever seen them before until Vern came. It can be hard collecting in a vacuum.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your album collections, Mowgli. I fear some people are afraid to collect that way anymore.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it too early to ask who will be attending the BCCS meeting on Friday afternoon at FUN? I'll be there! It will be nice to put some faces to the names here.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm glad some of you are enjoying seeing Barbers in a Dansco. At one point my main source suggested that I stop cracking them out - especially the NCG and PCGS coins but it was too late for some of them. I did keep a few in the holders. The 1905-O half is in an ANACS 55 holder - which some people would consider raw. In retrospect, I would have kept the ANACS 50 1904-S in its holder as well but my guess is it would have to be in a PCGS holder eventually so it doesn't matter - notwithstanding PCGS's final judgment.

I appreciate the feedback on these coins as no one had ever seen them before until Vern came. It can be hard collecting in a vacuum. >>

Well no one else will say it so I will. This is not a knock on Vernes photographic skills as no one can photo a whole set of AU or betters in a set and make all the coins look like they do. Those pictures...I am almost certain do not do your set justice. I have seen all the individual coins that Verne has photographed for you and they are all very nice. If I saw those pictures of your set on ebay I would think well over 50% of them would be details holdered for being cleaned. Hope I am not a party pooper! image

Edit for spelling! image
  • Options

<< <i>Here's my take on cracking out coins for an album: Have at it!

Of course, exceptional coins, whether it's an extremely high grade or conditional rarity, or other truly scarce coins would be an exception. Speaking of Barber quarters, which is the series I feel most comfortable commenting on, if I were to do a set averaging XF-40 in grade, the only coins I wouldn't crack out are the big 3 and the 09-O.

Common XF quarters go for about 75-100 dollars. The holder is worth (arguably) 25% of the coin. Not sure why someone would pay that much to grade common coins, but it happens.

I love graded coins, but the industry is a cash cow for sure, and to quote an unknown source, the "plastic tombs" in which many common coins reside are expendable in my opinion.

I guess in the end, everyone has to do what makes them happy, and resale is an important consideration for most people. I have no problem hammering out a 98-S VF 25 for the good book.

Paesan >>

My take on your opinion...most especially with 1/2's is they are not so easy to get in holders. I am surprised at how may I have submitted that came back deemed cleaned the 1st go round and came back problem free the second time!
  • Options

<< <i>Is it too early to ask who will be attending the BCCS meeting on Friday afternoon at FUN? I'll be there! It will be nice to put some faces to the names here. >>

I have always wanted to attend the FUN show BCCS meeting but I have never been able to get away from my table. Given the market these days maybe I will make it this time! Baltimore has never been a problem as Friday is usually dead in the afternoon.
  • Options
    ...used to be a jest here, but might have been considered rude, so removed...
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>Well no one else will say it so I will. This is not a knock on Vernes photographic skills as no one can photo a whole set of AU or betters in a set and make all the coins look like they do. Those pictures...I am almost certain do not do your set justice. I have seen all the individual coins that Verne has photographed for you and they are all very nice. If I saw those pictures of your set on ebay I would think well over 50% of them would be details holdered for being cleaned. Hope I am not a party pooper! image >>

They look terrible to me as well but to be fair, Vern is set up to look at individual coins. It is too hard to focus on a full page, with the plastic slides in place and have it lit well. Some of my coins are obviously dipped and many looked polished/cleaned but they are not. The full page photos are not a good way to evaluate he individual coins. I hope PCGS finds them better than they look in the album. Of course, we can always ask Vern who has a much better eye than I.
  • Options

I have received two emails within the last few hours,
    saying that Mowgli and Log Potato had posted to this...

Looks like the thread is stuck... Again !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - I agree, to each their own, and it sure is fun to fill an album.

Jeff - Sorry to say, no FUN or BCCS mtg for me.

Darrell - My pics do not do Mowgli's coins in the Danscos justice. I'd say that a few, but no where near "over 50%" won't grade. The same could be said about most collections of 70+ coins.

Justin - So expensive. Ouch.

Mowgli - I look forward to our next opportunity to get together. It's a great hobby to share.

Pics for this AM, Mowgli's 05-O, ANA55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    That is a Sweet 05-O! Love to see what PCGS would grade it...I know what I would.
  • Options
    That is a sweet 05-O!

Die doubling or Machine doubling? Found these two different coins on coinfacts. Same date. Different date positions on the obverse die. Reverse dies seem to be completely different. They each have different die cracks.

• Options
    A very interesting mix of opinions on the album vs slab issue. Again, it's a matter of preference and both ways are good ways to go. One further point is that just because a coin is raw, doesn't mean it's not as good as its slabbed counterpart, and just because a coin is slabbed doesn't means its worthy of the assigned grade. I like to have a raw and a slabbed set of whatever my favorite series currently is. I do this because I simply enjoy both methods of assembling a series, and I'd rather spend on acquiring coins than getting them slabbed/crossed/reconsidered/CACed/etc. for example, an ANACS 05-O quarter in VF might come as a real bargain for a raw set, but to cross it (at the whim of the grading service) is an unnecessary expense IMO. If it were an MS example or a high AU, then I might try.

Love that 05-O half! I'd say 50-50 at PCGS. Sometimes they reward color, sometimes they question it. Looks good to me just the way it is!

Paesan
  • Options
    I still prefer a raw album. It's the liquidity problem when it comes time to sell.
    Having a slabbed collection - as most of us do - is not as enjoyable to view as
    a raw set. I have my slabs in Eagle brand albums - and their pages accommodate
    nine slabs. It seems to work a lot better than just using blue boxes.

A few years ago, I read that Q. David Bowers was looking to revamp the slab market.
    He wanted slabs small enough to fit in slots in album pages. I remember something
    about round slabs with the edge having the coin's info. His idea never came to fruition
    but I thought it had merit, provided the graders were of our host's caliber. A key component
    would be market acceptability.

I have to say that based on the great images that Vern has been providing us, Mowgli's coins are
    really nice. That 05-O has unusual toning - can't say it'll slab - but I love the look. Finding a nice
    05-O is really rough, as I stated previously. I bought an 05-O raw from Walkerguy21D a few years
    ago, as an AU. It had some minor surface disturbances that I did not immediately pick up on. Upon
    through examination, I soon realized it would not receive a solid grade. It resides in an XF Details
    holder ( although it clearly has AU 55 details ). I had a nice VF 25 in my collection which I ended
    up selling to LogPotato, after I picked up yet another XF 45; last Spring, I picked up an amber toned
    MS 63 from the gals at JJ Teaparty. ( Not as if I needed it, but I am a sucker for a pretty Barber ).

Jeff wanted to know who was going to FUN; I will be there on Wednesday afternoon for lot viewing;
    Having dinner with friends that evening; Thursday i will be on the bourse floor and meeting friends for
    dinner that night. Friday will be cut short, as I have other obligations Friday night.

I will be unable to attend the BCCS meeting. I called Carl Feldman earlier today and he mentioned
    that John Frost is taking over the Presidency of the club as Phil Carrigan is stepping down. He also
    mentioned that Ellen Ribar, BCCS Journal Editor / Secretary / Treasurer is stepping down. There will
    be a nominating committee set up to fill the vacancy. I think anyone who has the time and is able to
    handle the duties Ellen handled should throw their name into the hat.

I am sure we all wish Phil and Ellen all the best and a heartfelt Thank You for all the work they have
    performed over the years.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Justin - Looks like machine doubling to me.

FTB - Nice job on the album pic.

Mike - I think Dave Bowers' idea is a good one. Unfortunately, it will never happen.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>The thread dropped to Page 4- time to bump it with photos of some recent purchases.

First up is a 1905 50C NGC 55 that I picked up at a Heritage Auction a few weeks back. My plan is to submit it to our hosts for a straight crossover:

Thoughts on how PCGS may view this coin? The OBV scratch is a bit of a concern, but the reverse is beautiful. >>

I received my recent PCGS back this week. The above '05 50C crossed at the same grade (to a PCGS AU 55). I submitted a total of 8 Barber Halves from my collection in NGC holders to PCGS for crossover. Seven of eight crossed; I'm happy. My '06 S 50C NGC AU 55 was the lone coin that didn't make it:

It looks like a 55 to me, but at least on this try our hosts didn't buy it. I guess I'll need to resubmit for crossover as "ANY" and accept a 53.
  • Options

<< <i>Next up is a tough date- a raw 1897 S:

I'm submitting it to PCGS- I believe it will come back as an AU 50. Any other opinions? >>

I submitted the above '97 S raw after cracking it out of a ANACS XF 45 holder. It came back as a PCGS XF 45:

I still think it looks like a AU 50- I guess I'm too optimistic about my coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Last up is another difficult coin- a raw 1892 O Half:

I'm hoping this might come back as an AU 58(+), but I'm guessing it will end up in a MS 62 (or 63) holder. A really beautiful coin; I was surprised I was able to buy it raw at eBay for a very nice price! Anyone think it might come back as an AU? >>

The above '92 O 50C was submitted raw and came back as a MS 62 as I guessed:

I still like the coin; I'll keep it for my regular (not circulated) set.
  • Options

Jeff,

I also thought the 1897-S in XF45 was a 50 as well.
    I have ( we all have ) seen a lot worse in 45 holders.

The 06-S that DNC has an odd tone to it.
    More than likely they didn't like the color
    of the coin. It might have gotten Altered
    Surfaces if submitted raw. JMHO.

I also was concerned about whether or not
    the 1905 NGC 55 would cross for the same
    reasons you had; the wreath scratch was as
    plain as day. Glad it came back at full grade !

I liked the 92-O when you bought it and was
    hoping it would "58" for you. Without the coin
    in hand, it's hard to tell. All I knew was it was
    a beautifully preserved coin, I was just hoping
    for a hint of rub so you would get a "58+". I
    guess a 62 is the next best thing !

Vern/ Paesan: the 07-O Quarter is very pretty.
    Purchased raw and subsequently graded ?

Justin: I meant to chime in before, I feel that is
    "Strike Doubling".

Nothing new to report. I am bidding for a friend
    at the Legend Simpson Barber Dime sale in Vegas
    this Thursday. ( remote bidding from Naples, FL ).
    He has his heart set on a few great coins. One coin
    he wants ( he said to just buy it ) is the Nicest I have
    ever seen for that date. So, it should be lots of fun
    spending his money ( vs: My Money )

Well... Time to write the CHRISTMAS cards before
    it's too late. ( I always cut it thin ! )

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike-

Thanks for noticing the color issue on my NGC '06 S; it was an old photo before I figured out how to correct the white balance on my camera (still learning).

I just re-shot the coin; the new photos are accurate for the in hand appearance. To me the color is natural, but perhaps others may think it's off?

• Options
    I accidentally won an eBay auction last night for a 1898 O Barber Half. I bid on it a few days ago without looking at it carefully. Last night I looked at it more carefully a few hours before the auction ended. I was surprised with what I saw.

Anyone else see strange things going on with the coin? I believe it's a fake.

I tried to get the seller to cancel the auction a couple of hours before it ended (it was too late for me to cancel my bid)- no response. I requested the seller cancel the transaction this morning- no response. Since the seller doesn't accept returns I don't want to waste $100 by paying for the coin.

Anyone else think it looks fake?

• Options
    The thread seems to be stuck (by me I guess), so I'll post again to see if it unsticks.

I had great luck over the Thanksgiving weekend with raw Barber Half purchases. All have been submitted to our host for grading. First up- a 1892:

I think it will come back as a 53, maybe a 55.
  • Options
    Thread stuck??
  • Options
    Thread still appears to be stuck so I'll post another recent raw Barber 50C pickup; an 1899 O:

It's on it's way to our host for grading; I'm guessing AU 50. I thought this would become an upgrade for my set, but I recently picked up a really nice PCGS AU 55; this one will end up being sold.
  • Options
    I guess I clogged up this thread really bad. I'll try posting another raw pickup from the Thanksgiving weekend; a 1904 O:

Again, off to our hosts for grading. I think it has a shot at AU 55, but I understand I may be dreaming.
  • Options

<< <i>RE Scratched slabs, I grabbed some headlight polish and I use that, works great. Was like, $4 at pep boys. >>

I tried several methods to get rid of the scratches- the headlight restorer works GREAT and is very easy to use.
  • Options
    Here's another raw pickup from Thanksgiving weekend-a 1906 D 50C:

It looks to me like there's a very slight rub on the cheek; I think this has a really good chance at 58 (my current coin is a 55).
  • Options

Jeff...I hate to agree with you ... But your worst fears are true.
    I also think the 98-O is a fake. I'd get in touch with eBay and tell
    them it's a fake and you are not going thru with the sale. The seller
    has a no return policy ...(1st Bad Vibe )....

Nice stuff otherwise. PM sent.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    No doubt that 98-O is a fake.
  • Options
    I'm not going to follow through with the purchase of the fake coin, but it's not easy to communicate with eBay on such things.

Another raw purchase, a 1908 50C:

I'm thinking 55, but I could get a 58 surprise.
  • Options
    And the last of my recent raw pickups, a 1915 S 50C:

This might 58, but I'm guessing 62. Either way a nice coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file