Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hangover + Laptop = Cards...

Being hungover with ebay access is dangerous.

Never saw centering on a 52B like this one; the inner holder ridge casts a shadow but the card has got the most insane centering I've ever seen on one. The 69 is kinda the same situation-- usually mangled tilt on that card. The 59 looks like it had its color boosted, that's how bold and clear it is in hand. Almost done with my basic centered Mick run now.

And here's that raw Aaron from the National my homie grabbed for me...

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    agree with your thinking on that ryan.. nice pickup
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hungover.....Time for another drink Matty! 😃
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe me I am contemplating just that, brother. Yet the distance from my couch to the kitchen seems galactic.

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Ryan
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Wow! You need to get drunk more often and post away! lol
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What time is that? It's BALLANTINE!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Believe me I am contemplating just that, brother. Yet the distance from my couch to the kitchen seems galactic. >>

A true skull crusher is the worst. That being said a drink will help! 😎
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Believe me I am contemplating just that, brother. Yet the distance from my couch to the kitchen seems galactic. >>

A true skull crusher is the worst. That being said a drink will help! 😎 >>

LOL, yes, your avatar would seem to coincide with that recommendation..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What time is that? It's BALLANTINE!! >>

SGC of scotch, Tim. Lmao

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was drooling over that 73 Ryan all week.....

Beautiful pickups - I'd get bombed to celebrate... rinse, lather, repeat.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Managed to get off couch for beer and to check mail. Had this little ebay steal waiting-- cannot believe what nice cards can be had for fifty bucks. I had an 8 back in the day that was way worse centered than this...

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    52 Mantle is a Screamer! I am going to tip one back now in the bar in honor of those beauties!
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    That 59 mantle is perfect imo. Played with condition, but fantastic eye appeal. Love it
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Awesome hits there Matt. Congrats!
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Some incredible examples you picked up. The Aaron is amazing for a 3. I have been looking for an Aaron RC for months now and won't pull the trigger because most of the 4.5 and 5's (and a lot of 6's) don't look like that 3. The 52 Bowman is very sharp.
    Steve
    Thanks, fellas. Just found these two guys hiding out on ebay. Cannot believe the centering on this Bench; it is sitting crooked in holder but when tapped it is going to look money.

Have you picked up all these cards this week? Today?

Very nice set - I can see you look for the centered gems. A man after my own heart!

Congratulations - superb cards!
    Mike
    Mostly today. Okay: this is my last one, and then I'm crashing out. Cards worked better than Advil today image Remember when I missed out on this card at auction; never saw one without all the usual PD issues.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice score on the Bench. Great looking 6.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Great cards image
    The Schmidt is super!
    Mike
  • That '59 Mantle is what I'm talking about!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    Peep this slept-on baseball card-- always wanted one of these but it's always so off left-right unless willing to spend on a high high grade, and even then. Some of those early combo cards with players in the their prime are just awesome. To think of the talent on this one card...

• wow!
    Okay, now the sick binge begun yesterday is really done-- this was a snipe set yesterday before passing out. Card upgrades an 8 that was less centered.

These other two I just couldn't resist; I expect the Molitor to be money in hand; saw it pop up on a reasonable BIN; the camera was held at an angle and the card is not sitting flush in holder for the pic. None of the usual PD either, which is great.

• i had my eye on that '56!

now leave the future ones alone, ok? image
    With my dream '56 now in the collection, the rest are all yours, brother! To think I was able to grab pretty much all these centered cards and the replacement '56 (which looks better than the 8) just from selling the 8...crazy. Will def holster it now for a bit-- wait, who am I kidding, LOL image

• Well played indeed Brother!

Your Focus has had an impact, more than you may imagine. Keep on Rockin' it!
    Thanks, bro. Will end the weekend with this last ebay BIN... Saw this card sitting high in the holder, with the top ridge of the holder obscuring a sliver of top edge; thus it will look dope when tapped down. Cannot go wrong for the price.

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Man, you have been on a tear. Your taking the time to study the cards for typical defects and then navigate eBay really pays dividends. Great pick-ups.

That smudge-free Molitor is particularly sharp.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
    Thx, esquire-- that's exactly been my process the past couple days. Take the '57 Ted Williams for example. The card was always an aesthetic favorite; also Teddy Ballgame has one of those great stats, as the last man to hit .400, that can always bring him back to the media spotlight (the next time anyone flirts with .400). Not to mention there is a big biographical television series being developed about him at the moment.

So I began to study all the ebay listings and VCP scans of the 1957 Topps Ted Williams in various grades, to get a feel for the card, and its usual issues. It turns out it is routinely plagued by focus issues, with a patina-like cloudiness, the same that so often strikes the Mantle/Aaron World Series Batting Foes card. And of course there is the fact that 99 of 100 seem to be woefully centered. So with these flaws in mind, I was on the lookout for an example that had an extremely focused and clear image, and decent centering would be a bonus. Such an example, if found, would make it quite rare when compared to the mass of examples out there. And of course if I could avoid paying the huge premium of a high graded example (8s don't surface much at all, and break 1k when they do) that would be a dream.

So along comes this specimen. Given its attributes relative to the mass of others, it was quite a rare specimen, not in terms of condition-rarity as it's obviously not a high grade, but rather because it possesses attributes the mass of others do not, including many in high grade. I therefore reasoned that a modest premium over VCP avg would be a steal. I hoped the market would price it by the label and ignore how the card possessed some rare attributes, and sure enough it went for well less than the 7s, even though it is a rarer example in terms of eye appeal.

After a loooooong and tense work day it sure is good to talk cards. After browsing through some hundred plus 57 Teds, it feels great to land one with image clarity.

And for comparison, here are three different 1957 Teds with the aforementioned issues, that actually sold for hundreds or a thousand more...

• while i agree your card trumps the other three pictured, the tilt doesn't bother you?
    Good question and here's my thought process when determining whether to pull the trigger with an issue like that...

The tilt is of course not part of my ideal card-- but I feel it is key to look at a card in the context of all extant examples, as opposed to the ideal, which may never surface at all, or when it does it may be in a prohibitively expensive grade. By looking at so many examples, I try to gauge the likelihood of another specimen surfacing with the same image quality and centering with zero tilt; in this instance it seemed unlikely enough where I was comfortable pulling the trigger on this specimen.

I also take price into account, knowing that if a better example surfaces in terms of focus, centering, and tilt, there's a good chance it may be in an 8 or even 9 holder, and thus I'd take $300 and some tilt over $1500 (8) or $6000 (9) with zero tilt-- for this particular card. Now if it was a top tier favorite card for me, like a 51 or 52 Mick, then I would go balls out for my ideal specimen even if it surfaced in a costly grade.

Regarding the Ted, because of the presence of some tilt, if another ever surfaces with equal image quality and centering with zero tilt, I will for sure get after it-- however given the homework done on the card I was reasonably certain such a specimen would not surface anytime soon, and for the same comfortable price. Sorry for the lengthy response but wanted to explain all the angles in answering the question.

• No need to apologize! that was a perfect response. Makes sense, just wish i could cope the way you can image
    Oh all good was just sharing thought process and selection strategy.

I had to really study the card to see the tilt, so I'm thinking it wouldn't bother me. Typical 1979 Ozzie tilt - yes, but not this. That picture quality is incredibly sharp and centering is awesome.
    I agree that when the top bottom on 57s is near perfect, it mitigates some tilt-- same thing with my 57 Mick... Like the Ted, on lookout for one with same clarity and centering but better in tilt department, but one hasn't come up yet that's not a 9, and the price is too much to pay for that tilt upgrade relative to how little the current champ cost.

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    This is becoming my favorite thread, I'm just sitting here chillin living vicariously through you. I honestly wouldn't have noticed any tilt on that Williams if it hadn't been brought up. That 57 pair of Williams and Mantle are smokin. Congrats!
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
    And here's today's hidden ebay jewel. Compares favorably to 8s, with insane centering. Arguably greatest hitter ever, and like Mick and Brett and Donnie seems to have so many great looking cards! I remember being drawn to the 56's as a boy, something about the bold colors and art. Rockwellian.

Had to add this 68 for the Mick run-- another case of card sitting awkwardly in scan, which perhaps thankfully made some prospective bidders think it was tilted and move on. Yet when tapped to sit flush will look perfecto...

• Drink more … please? image
    Do you have a special scanner that makes every card look like a gem? Agree with prior poster - drink more please. Hah! Seriously, the cards you find always (always) visually exceed their numerical grade. I don't know if/how much more you pay relative to an average card of that grade, but I'm sure it must be an exciting feeling just to find these gems regardless.
    This one was definitely a thrill. Always loved the card and wanted to have a centered one but didn't want to spend what the centered 7s, 8s, and 9s run.

• Perfect crease placement!

BRAVO!!!!
    This was one of my favorite ebay listings of all time, as the seller wrote a simply awesome description. I give this seller mad props; effective writing...

"1956 TOPPS Sandy Koufax Card Rated by PSA Grading Service to be in Ex Condition Grade 5. I personally dont get it. Look up psa 7 or 8s and this card
    Looks better. Check out the centering. Look at the corners. Almost threw up when I saw the grade. You judge."

This card for some reason has always struck me on the purely aesthetic level. Of course I think the player was an absolute beast as well. One of the cards that took a longer time to find centered. Cannot wait to get it in hand and take a crispier scan.

With 5s like that?

Who needs better?

Very nice cards.

edit: check the backs - maybe a light production crease or something?
    Mike
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank is one of my all-time favorite players. He certainly does not get the credit deserved for how good he was. Love the centering on the 57 and 59 card.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    DM23HOF,

So without me reading this thread, is it safe for me to assume that you only buy cards when you are drunk?

I'd go as far as to say that whenever hungover, I find a card spree to be quite therapeutic image

• Matt, if you ever start a list of people to "let know" that "______ Listing is available, but im passing on it", id LOVE to be on that list! lol