Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hangover + Laptop = Cards...

Comments

• Options
    I must be doing something wrong...
    I hit a "Centrd Mantle" keyword search twice a day in eBay and see none of these cards! image

Great cards guys. Keep 'me coming!
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just came in the mail-- replaces the one that got stolen. My favorite Jackie card. Not a soul in the stands, nice green grass.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Tuesday is a party night in some cities... Which means Wednesday hangover.

And let me just say: Touché, to the gentleman who topped me on a certain card tonight. Will take this Mick as consolation. Color is insane.

• Options
    ITS THE WEEKEND!!!!! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing. Hope Matty's been hitting the bottle.
  • Options
    Cannot fail to deliver...

Had pined for a centered Seaver to pair with Carew for a long time. Daily searches day after day and only poorly centered examples-- even many of the 9s. And then this guy comes along-- will have to live with that white print dot but it's not in the Seaver box and the centering is bananas. The scan is not the best; the inner left ridge of the holder is obscuring a key sliver of the left border. When I get it in hand will do a proper scan and on a black background. Basically left right is perfection and top bottom is a hair off, but without the tilt the overall centering is maybe like 1 in 100 or even fewer when it comes to the mass of Seavers.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    WOW. Love both cards. I'm looking for a Seaver also. That one would do just fine.

Love the Mick/Berra card too. That's one I'd surely like to add someday.

This thread gets better each week.

Cheers!
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    LOVE that Seaver! Perfect wrinkle placement. LOVE IT!
  • Options

• Options
    BLAZER!!! Nice Work!!!
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    That last Mantle and the Seaver both looks two grades better. Impressive to say the least.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    had to get my card geek on here, since i know you guys "get it"

picked this up tonight, edged on by the 10% eBay bucks promotion image

• Options
    Great call; gonna look solid when sitting flush in the holder. I bet a bad scan like that can save a few bucks as people might pass on first blush, then in hand it looks great. That's a classic card, too. Two amazing talents; the multi-star cards in general are pretty slept on.

• Options
    Beautiful Eric!
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    ITS THE WEEKEND!!! image
  • Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Uh oh....is someone on the wagon now?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    sick Mick.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice Yankees' PH card Eric.

I like it better than my OC card.
    Mike
  • Options
    i liked this one image

• Options
    Dude, I saw that Hank-- love the centering and lack of tilt. Can't go wrong with such a clean image at that price!

• Options
    This centered Mantle thing is becoming an addiction...

• Options
    that was some fast shipping!

nice old flip on that one. review worthy?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This centered Mantle thing is becoming an addiction... >>

Before looking at the grades, that 2.5 looked like the best of the bunch. The registration on that one is incredible!
  • Options
    I think the 4 is pretty accurately graded; will get it reholdered as there's a scratch on the holder, but maybe it could 4.5 on a good day. For me it's all about finding this card with good centering, as so many are poorly centered. There's always one side that's off it seems, but occasionally one pops up with the top three borders of equal or near-equal thickness, and those are the ones I jump on.

• Options
    If I had that trio, I would serious be looking for a 3 and 3.5 to complete the run. That's why I have to stay away from duplicates of cards. Hah.
  • Options
    when this was listed last month as an auction, i was outbid. i noticed last night that it was re-listed for $1.38 less via BIN then it sold for last month.

Going to have a hard time finding a better PSA 2 then this one IMO

• Options
    Wow. What's on the back that makes it a 2?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. What's on the back that makes it a 2? >>

should be here Thursday. from the item description:

"1955 TOPPS HANK AARON PSA 2 +++++. PROBABLY THE NICEST PSA 2 OF THIS CARD YOU WILL EVER FIND. EX-MT+ FRONT. BACK HAS SOME VERY LIGHT GLUE RESIDUE, BUT BARELY NOTICEABLE WHEN HOLDING THE CARD IN YOUR HAND. NO CREASES OR WRINKLES. THICK GLOSS,GREAT CENTERING AND SQUARE CORNERS. FRESH APPEARENCE.THE WORDS "OUTFIELD MILWAUKEE BRAVES" AT THE BOTTOM IN THE RED BOX IS NOT BLURRY OR UNFOCUSED ON THE CARD,ITS JUST FROM THE SCANNER."
  • Options
    Cards like that are when the grading silliness works in the collector's favor; awesome addition, mad props.

• Options
    Nice score on that Aaron!
  • Options

• Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMANTLES!!!!!
  • Options
    When centered, must buy:

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is that 67 Mantle a 4? Corners look good enough for 7 at least. Great pickup for a 4. Looks as good as my PSA 7 minus the red dot above the S.
  • Options
    A dealer friend and I scoured the card under light and magnification; no clue what's wrong except that dot. Seems like one of those occasional misgrades. Have sent 7s in that became 9s the second time around so this might be one of those crack-resub successes.

• Options
    There was a bottle of rum that entered the mix Friday night-- I hold it directly responsible for these two...

The Fisk/Cooper is so slept on. Cecil Cooper was a pretty nasty player and this card seems to get lost whenever the "two best RCs on the same card" topic comes up. Molitor/Trammell is the obvious choice but Cooper had multiple 200 hit seasons, dropped averages like .350 one year, and had power, too. Price wise, the 8.5 value is a mere fraction of the 9s, which makes them a great deal. This one had the rare rough factory cut I love and nice centering. Will do a better scan when in hand.

Then, is there a more slept-on player than Hank Greenberg? The guy lost a ton of great years to The War. His numbers are just cartoonishly great. His Diamond Stars error card does not surface that much at all. PSA I think has only around 40 slabbed of the error versus over 270 of the corrected version.

"In Greenberg's first game back after being discharged, on July 1, he homered. Without the benefit of spring training, he returned to the Tigers, was again voted to the All-Star Team, and helped lead them to a come-from-behind American League pennant, clinching it with a grand slam home run in the dark—no lights in Sportsman's Park in St. Louis—ninth inning of the final game of the season. It came after the umpire allegedly told Hank that he was ready to call the game due to darkness, because the ump—former Yankee pitching star of the 1920s Murderers Row team, George Pipgras, supposedly said "Sorry Hank, but I'm gonna have to call the game. I can't see the ball." Greenberg replied, "Don't worry, George, I can see it just fine," so the game continued. It ended with Greenberg's grand slam on the next pitch."

• Options
    Nice work as usual. That Fisk is sweet.

I seem to gravitate to half grades myself, especially at the right price.

Congrats.
    Jim
  • Options
    Only three beverages consumed last night-- but it was enough to finalize these guys. Bench looks so young. The yellow cards and big smiles on Ted and Sandy just make ya smile.

• Options
    BliggityBliggity Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    I started drinking early this weekend. Been looking at this for a few weeks at my LCS and pulled the trigger today. I'm not much for the '54 Bowman set but I've always loved this card.

• Options

<< <i>Only three beverages consumed last night-- but it was enough to finalize these guys... >>

Fritz is definitely in the top 5 unibrows. Guess I never paid that much attention to the Carlton RC. Incredible cards, as always!
  • Options

<< <i>I started drinking early this weekend. Been looking at this for a few weeks at my LCS and pulled the trigger today. I'm not much for the '54 Bowman set but I've always loved this card. >>

Iconic card and presents real nice for a 4!
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I think you guys need to try some new drinks to get off this Mickey Mantle kick. Maybe a good Manhatten will have you pulling the trigger on some vintage hockey RCs?
  • Options

<< <i>I think you guys need to try some new drinks to get off this Mickey Mantle kick. Maybe a good Manhatten will have you pulling the trigger on some vintage hockey RCs? >>

Manhattan's lead to anger, anger leads to modified Yoda quotes, modified Yoda quotes lead to Star Wars purchases.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you guys need to try some new drinks to get off this Mickey Mantle kick. Maybe a good Manhatten will have you pulling the trigger on some vintage hockey RCs? >>

Maybe this?

From the Sports Guy: "My favorite item from every collectors convention … and it’s gone! MIA! Disappeared! What happened? Where is it? Why didn’t I buy it when I had the chance? Did Mickey Mantle make any other ads in which he inadvertently deep-throated a Yoo-Hoo bottle as Yogi Berra stared him down in the creepiest way possible? Can you point me in the right direction?"

He does a great write-up of the National each year. Nuggets like: You know what people will always love collecting? Mickey Mantle and Star Wars. In that order. They were asking $1,600 for this unopened box of Star Wars cards. If Mickey Mantle held Luke Skywalker’s light saber and then signed it in 1978, and someone brought that light saber to Cleveland 36 years later, we’d eventually be making a 30 for 30 about the first-ever collectors convention riot called Collecting Hell. Sports Guy 2014 National

• Options
    Nice 76 Brett Psa 8.
  • Options

<< <i>I started drinking early this weekend. Been looking at this for a few weeks at my LCS and pulled the trigger today. I'm not much for the '54 Bowman set but I've always loved this card.

image >>

Have to agree with the guys above-- that card hits the eye like a 5 or 6. One of my favorite Mick images ever, that card.

Thx re: Brett.

• Options
    BliggityBliggity Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    Thanks DM23. This was actually my first Mick purchase ever, except for a '61 HR Leaders back in 1989 or so. I bought it with the intent to resub it, but there are a couple issues with it that I might address in a different thread to keep from hijacking this one. I love your '53 Bowman Micks, that's some great color on the 2.5. Looking forward to finding one myself to help complete my '53 BC set.
  • Options
    Hijack away, my friend-- not precious about the thread. That Ken Singleton quote is great; never heard that one before.

• Options
    Ndog,

Thanks for the kind words on the Brett, homie. What a notoriously messed up card the 76 Brett is, huh? First one I've had in several years. The 9s get too pricey for me and the 8s are usually pretty rugged on the eye.

During most recent hangover-- vodka rocks with splash of cucumber juice; pretty good-- I found this 3 or 3.5 hiding out in a 2 holder!

• Options
    This is a nice Walter. Why is it only a Psa 2? Looks much better.