Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hangover + Laptop = Cards...

124»

Comments

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Ndog. I agree with you and do believe it is a classic harsh grade. It is a solid 3 in my opinion and should get there with a crack and resub. The use of color on these T206 cards is just so beautiful and the shape of the cards is also very cool. Just charming cards up and down the set. I can see why so many collectors love them.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

<< <i>During most recent hangover-- vodka rocks with splash of cucumber juice; pretty good-- I found this 3 or 3.5 hiding out in a 2 holder!

image >>

::raises fist in the air:: i missed this one!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Johnson is a beauty!

But....cucumber juice?
    Mike
  • Options
    It was actually pretty good. Like a cucumber martini but in a rocks glass. Was quite a few drinks deep after dinner so probably would've drank Cisco or Mad Dog at that point, but the place in which I found myself was (allegedly) civilized.

• Options
    I can see this walter in a Psa 3 holder.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    i'd be raising a glass on that ryan sale! you did good, my friend. you did good.
  • Options
    Thx, Begsu! Was the best raw buy I ever had. Chasing something big now so wish me luck, homie! I wouldn't be surprised if all the Ryan 10s eventually found their way into your set(s)!

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    to quote you on the wagner t206..."i'm trying brotha"! ; )
  • Options
    Wagner is a pimp card!image
  • Options

<< <i>Ndog,

Thanks for the kind words on the Brett, homie. What a notoriously messed up card the 76 Brett is, huh? First one I've had in several years. The 9s get too pricey for me and the 8s are usually pretty rugged on the eye.

During most recent hangover-- vodka rocks with splash of cucumber juice; pretty good-- I found this 3 or 3.5 hiding out in a 2 holder!

image >>

That Big Train is amazing! You've definitely got a knack for finding some absolute gems hiding in lower grade slabs, Matty. image

Snorto~
  • Options
    Am I drinking? Yes. Am I buying Rickeys? Yes.

Headed out for night now. Hangover tomorrow all but ensured.

• Options
    BAM!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Am I drinking? Yes. Am I buying Rickeys? Yes.

Headed out for night now. Hangover tomorrow all but ensured.

image >>

Nice Rickey's drink some Titos and vodka for me Patna!!image
  • Options
    Went out hard in NYC the other night. Woke up with this in the cart. Have to say, have woken up to considerably worse in the past. There were mornings I looked beside me to see the equivalent of a miscut, tilted, OC, PD 1975 Topps Rowland Office.

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas Matty! Beautiful card. I realize the card must have graded low because of the corners, but I like how square they are. Good registration and trademark great centering.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Thanks, brother and Happy Holidays to you and yours as well! I was pretty bummed when I parted ways with my Hank last month, as part of a larger deal that helped me land that new Mantle. It had taken me a while to find a centered one, where the three white borders were more or less of equal thickness. A buddy tracked that last one down for me raw at the National. Didn't think I'd see a centered one for a while, and then Xmas came a few days early! My snipe collided with another and luckily I came out with the card.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Matt ... Very nice looking card. Presents real well for the grade. You ALWAYS like setting (or coming close to setting) a new high for the grade! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Yeah, unfortunately for me, over the past year I have noticed one or two eBay accounts of collectors who like the exact same cards I do, LOL. Sometimes I see a card and know right at first sight how rare the centering is, so I just have to get it-- instead of risking that the next one as centered surfaces in a higher grade, which would wind up costing me even more. I had a gut feeling (after looking at other examples on VCP and past sales) that somewhere out there, someone else would be comfortable paying around the high for this specimen.

• Options
    Internet on the plane + turbulence over Missouri + mini Tito's vodkas + having lost an earlier eBay auction...apparently = Lou Gehrig.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    OOPS you did it again! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Had to get this one, too. Centering's just too rare.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!! That Rose Rookie is looks great. Congrats on getting an PSA 8.5 in a 7 holder.
  • Options
    Drink Up! image
  • Options
    I'm on the shelf until Thursday.

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I think this belongs in this thread. Anyone ever win an auction but not remember bidding? So prehangover + smartphone = cards...
    Anyway, I purchased 1 ungraded pack of 1984 O-Pee-Chee hockey on ebay. I usually stop myself because most packs I buy are crap but I rip them anyways. I wouldnt share if it wasn't a sweet rip....

The LaFontaine and Neely RC's were back to back in the sequencing. Pretty sweet and both look PSA-worthy. The Ron Sutter is too O/C to be worth submitting.
  • Options
    That's awesome. If only the worst thing ever woken up to was a pack of 84 OPC!

Binge:

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    The centering on those Mantles are incredible. Well done, sir!
  • Options
    I've never really liked the 53 design, but that 59 is cool and the 58 is even cooler!
  • Options
    The 84 opc pack is rocking. A Cam Neely and LaLaLaLaLaLaLa Fontaine in the same pack!! Excuse my excitement but Neely was my all time favorite hockey player. To bad he couldn't have been wearing a "b"s jersey but the flying V is cool.
    Oh yeah...sweet Mantles!!!
  • Options

<< <i>The centering on those Mantles are incredible. Well done, sir! >>

+1
  • Options
    Latest hangover sponsored by last night's Elton John party. Note to self: closing night out with glass of straight tequila...no bueno.

Many a cheap nostalgia fix for the 80's childhood. Some super cool images I've always dug and finally got around to adding. In 1987, I honestly thought my Big Six Canseco/Greenwell/Tartabull Sportflic was the most awesome thing ever; I rooted for Billy Jo Robideaux and Mark Funderburk to blow up huge. In 1988, I ripped so many Donruss packs in hopes of getting a Jefferies, which for some reason was quite the elusive card. The image still makes me smile to this day. The funny thing is that he was kind of a victim of immense expectations, because he ultimately became a pretty good player, two-time All-Star, career .289 hitter with a .344 OBP, some pretty peak numbers (.342 avg one year, 40 doubles another year, low K's).

It seems Brett and Ryan hardly every took a bad baseball photo.

Clemente really came off in the 72 set, with a pair of fantastic looking cards in the same set.

Been real big on the Tiffany cards lately; love their deep color, gloss, and backs.

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    You failed to mention the best card in the lot, the 85 Donruss SuperMattingly . But seriously, love the 82 Bett and all the Ryans.

Was wondering why you bought the Jeffries but I understand. The 87 Donruss Greenwell has to be one of my favorite cards to remind me of collecting.
  • Options
    Wow, what a group of cards!
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I haven't looked at that 1988 Donruss Jeffries card in ages. That card seriously takes me back to being 14 years old and hearing about how he was going to be the 2nd coming and then learning his coveted RC was a Short Print high number. Of course, my mind went to the 1952T Mantle and how Jeffries card was sure to be the next 52 T Mantle. We would rip box after box. I remember the 88D Boxes had horrible correlation and I'd get 8 Roberto Alomars in one box.

I also loved the 1987 Fleer Cory Snyder card with the baseball sitting in the blue border like it was a card in 3-D. I remember reading an article in Beckett about how Cory Snyder was the biggest lock amongst all the rookies that year and thinking I had found my ticket to a new car with that card. Good times....
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Time to revive this thread. I may spring for a nice bottle of scotch after snagging these two. The first card has a slightly awkward/fugly image, but I've had a hard time finding decent centering with a nice bright color. I prefer #274 to the #250, but this one was way too nice for the grade to pass by...

Then the Jimmy Brown. Love, love, love the centering on this bad boy

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweetness is all I can say about that Brown rookie. Not sure I have seen any better centered than yours. Congrats.
  • Options
    Incredibly rare framing on that Jimmy Brown.

And Joe D-- pure legend. Will we ever see anyone even FLIRT with 56 again???

Fantastic pickups.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Time to revive this thread. I may spring for a nice bottle of scotch after snagging these two. The first card has a slightly awkward/fugly image, but I've had a hard time finding decent centering with a nice bright color. I prefer #274 to the #250, but this one was way too nice for the grade to pass by...

Then the Jimmy Brown. Love, love, love the centering on this bad boy

image >>

Oh man, you are sticking it to me posting that Brown RCimage My snipe never went off as it was in between your winning bid and the underbidder. Congrats on snagging that beauty! Well done.
    Steve
  • Options
    Always loved these two images; two cards of lefties that took me FOREVER to find nicely centered. I remember as a kid looking at the CCP price guide, and they always used the Carlton as the image header for the 67 set. That he had no 66 card always made it special to me. The 63 Koufax impressed me because the first day I went to look for one on eBay, there were like a hundred for sale-- every one terribly OC. That didn't change much in quite some time of searching. The shirt under his jersey just looks awesome, and the photo, the pose, the lighting, it's always struck me as cool.

Plus, like $40 for the pair!

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

This was one of my favorite threads ever. Makes me sad that all of the photos are gone....

• Options
    edited January 26, 2018 1:53PM

Yup. That is the advantage of the new image uploading system. In the old method, every time you switched image hosting sites or revamped your hosting account, the old photos you posted got zapped.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

Those pics are gone forever then?

On a side note, what are you drinking this weekend? LOL

• Options

I still have my card scans on a hard drive, I was keeping an online gallery but fell way behind on it. Been meaning to get it current. I have an inkling the Spring auction season will see plenty of buzzed bidding ;)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cooptown said:
    This was one of my favorite threads ever. Makes me sad that all of the photos are gone....

Makes me sad that so many quality posters are gone.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph