Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hangover + Laptop = Cards...

Comments

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely, I do that for a friend on here as well for certain cards he's seeking. Just shoot me a PM with a couple pieces you are after and am happy to add them to my fun hunting. It may even save me a few bucks from finding more cards I love, LOL.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful! That 56 Koufax is just great!
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    You've picked up a lot of really nice looking cards Matt!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Thx, playas. For $140 how could one go wrong on the Koufax?

Had my eye on this specific Banks for a long time. Talk about a hard card to find centered. If the left right isn't off, the top is nearly miscut. It's such a tricky card since the batting Banks on the right needs to have his butt actually in the border and close to the right edge for the card to be centered perfectly. Then there is his palpable youth and energy in the photo, and the ethereal lighting of the portrait. Just screams ROOKIE CARD!

Will definitely do a proper scan next week. Begged Levi and he did me a real solid-- have gotten a few of my all time favorites from him. What an eye he has for centering.

Hopefully will reel in the weekend's main prize in a few minutes when a certain auction closes... image

• Options
    Okay here's the big boy I was gunning for all week... IMO one of the most beautiful cards in the hobby.

• Options
    oh. my!

the colors! the centering!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I swear I have often thought there's two variations of that card, due to how some have that dark, rich, bold coloration, and others are a bit washed out. Every time I saw one centered, it was pale. And the bold ones were OC. Then finally, BAM!

And yes, now having a rum and pineapple. So tomorrow there will be a binge-- though I may have picked ebay dry?! image Been celebrating a good work week hence the cardboard binge.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Jaw dropping. Very well done. Congrats!
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Okay here's the big boy I was gunning for all week... IMO one of the most beautiful cards in the hobby.

image >>

You're absolutely killing it with these pick ups, Matty.

That T206 Big Six has always been an iconic card to me.

I especially love the 56T Williams and Koufax as this just may be my favorite set from the 1950's.

Snorto~
  • Options
    LOL, this is non stop! Love the Matty. I would really have liked to hear you beg Levi to cut you a deal on that Banks. I can only imagine how that sounded.
    Matt
  • Options
    Yes, I was hungover today. Yes, was within reach of laptop. Result: one of my all-time favorite baseball cards-- a pretty slept-on card...

• Options
    Wow, that is a really nice Jackie. Congrats Matt
    Matt
  • Options
    Thx, Jackie was a glaring hole for me for a while. I like the 52T as well but this image just grabs me.

Now if I can just find a Yaz RC that is half as nice as yours, Matt!

• Options

<< <i>Now if I can just find a Yaz RC that is half as nice as yours, Matt! >>

You will find one, I know you well enough that you find the gems! I'm in the process of turning over quite a few cards but Yaz is staying image
    Matt
  • Options
    As it should; to find a Yaz RC with that centering OR no PD through the name is hard. To find a specimen that has BOTH those attributes-- man, that is something special. If that card were mine it would take a huge offer from someone who understood how special it is to pry it from the collection. Making that one a keeper is very wise I think as it would be so tough to replace it.

• Options
    Jaw dropped when I saw this on ebay-- no clue why it's a 2, all I know is the scan looks better than the 5 I was about to get image

I think Stan's numbers are right up there with the likes of Ruth, Gehrig, and Williams. The guy was dropping science until the age of 41, batting .330!

• Options
    Beauty! Stan looks so oping in that photo. Congrats Matt
    Matt
  • Options
    Drink Up image
  • Options
    Today's little ebay jewel... Just saw this pop up on my phone saved searches. It was a BIN that would be a new high price for the grade or Best Offer. I put in an offer, but saw there was already another offer in and the seller had already countered. Did not want to lose one of the tougher Micks to find centered just for a few bucks so checked the VCP scans of 6s, which were all OC but one, and then hit the BIN.

• Options
    ATTA BOY!!!! image
  • Options
    WOW Matt, I want a 60 Mantle in a bad way, but I can't find one with the centering and surface that I looking for in the grade I would like to own it in. Thats something else.
    Matt
  • Options
    Thx-- the seller was very smart and I give him props. He had it priced well above what any 6 had sold for, but also well below what the next grade costs. Goes to show there is lots of room to command a premium on a nice card when there are big price gaps between grades.

• Options
    i want one like that in a 3 or 4! image

Matt, have you found any centered, snow free 1958 Topps WS Foes in the PSA 5/6 range?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i want one like that in a 3 or 4! image >>

+1, last card I need for my 60 set. There was a nicely centered 5 that sold last week I should have bid more on, but 3-4 would fit the rest of the set better.
  • Options
    Larkin, that is too funny, and I feel ya-- I lost out on the last two centered ones I loved, which were both 5s! Put in good snipes and I came up empty on both.

• Options
    So I would really like to add many more Mantle cards to my collection, but based on personal events throughout this year, I will never be able to spend the kind of money It will take to buy these in the grade I have in my head.

Matt, you along with a 57 Mantle, Eric showed a few weeks ago have convinced me to go after cards like this 60 Mantle. I'm just sitting here drooling.
    Matt
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy this thread because I don't own any cards from the 1960s or earlier, but these are gorgeous and it brings back memories of seeing most of these as a kid or at shows back in the day. That Robinson is really nice - I bet that's a great set.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>So I would really like to add many more Mantle cards to my collection, but based on personal events throughout this year, I will never be able to spend the kind of money It will take to buy these in the grade I have in my head.

Matt, you along with a 57 Mantle, Eric showed a few weeks ago have convinced me to go after cards like this 60 Mantle. I'm just sitting here drooling. >>

Matt, Matt really has started a great new trend, at least for me personally. it is difficult to do, but i am really trying to focus on the card in the holder, and not worry about what the number on the slip says.
  • Options
    I really need to drink more... That 1960 Topps Mantle!! Dang.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will you re sub the 52 Mantle?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Generally I don't resub/review unless considering selling. But I do have a buddy who goes down to drop off orders now and then, and every three or four months I'll decide to roll with him and make a day of it, bring the kids down to Newport, do some shopping at Costa Mesa mall, grab lunch with another collector buddy, and in those instances I sometimes join in their sub for a few reviews on a lark.The Bowman might one day take one of those quarterly trips but not the Topps, as it would cost like $500 to review it, and that one I know I'm not ever selling. I always trust my fellow collectors' eyes to know if a card deserves a higher grade or competes well with those in higher grade. It's going into my coffin unless in fifty years or so my kids or grandkids make a strong case that they want to pass it to their kids, LOL!

• Options
    another winner Matt, congrats!

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Yes, I was hungover today. Yes, was within reach of laptop. Result: one of my all-time favorite baseball cards-- a pretty slept-on card...

image >>

Love that card, Matty. I believe 1950 Bowman doesn't get nearly enough love, possibly because of the small form factor, and that Jackie Robinson card is one of the stronger arguments to love this release!

Snorto~
  • Options
    Your drinking binge somehow seems to make your focus on centering even better. Something tells me it should be the other way around!! Hell, you find 3's that look like 8's and all I've ever managed to take home were 5's that I thought were 10's when I'm drunk!

Tied a few on myself and gave it a go. These are over the last few months but I think they fit your thread, at least I hope they do image

• Options
    This thread is getting really good with the two of you spitting out centered Mantles. Nice pickups CenteredMantles
    Matt
  • Options
    All those Mantles are gorgeous.

I must note that the 1951 PSA 4 is the best I have seen in some time, strictly in terms of eye appeal and centering. Better than all the ones offered lately.

Now onto that 54B... I would bet there are fewer 1954 Bowmans centered like that than there are PSA 8s of the card. That's how I look at the landscape when it comes to a centered Mantle; many of his basic issue cards are so tough to find centered that they are harder to come by than specimens in high grade.

• Options
    Those look Fantastic!

The Centered Mantle Pool is getting crowed! im going to have to pick another player to hunt until the pool clears out a bit lol
  • Options
    I feel like I should almost be arrested for stealing this...the best centered '52T Say Hey Kid I have ever had the pleasure of laying eyes on. Pumped. So so pumped. Put in what would best be called a thermonuclear-plus snipe.

And here is a group/family photo I have been waiting years to assemble and take for anyone who loves cards and baseball...

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has to be one of the longest hangovers ever! image

Awesome looking cards buddy, congrats on some stellar pickups.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was watching the 52 Mays that you just acquired. I had a feeling you would be involved. Worth the price paid! Another great score for you!
  • Options
    Thx, JB. That was a card I truly fell in love with at first sight.

Now this may seem crazy, but I went ahead and caved on the BIN for this card. I know because of the corners it will likely cross to a 6 when cracked, which means I wound up paying more than double VCP-- but I have been shopping for this card a WHILE now. And let me tell ya, even just looking at all the ones on ebay will reveal that the 1960 Yaz is as bad as the 76 Brett. Talk about plagued consistently by tilt, poor centering, and insane print issues. Goodness gracious the Yaz RC is brutal. When you find one with no line through the name, it has nauseating tilt. When you find one centered, it has PD. So I saw this listed a ways back and kept coming back to it. I kept comparing it to 7s and even 8s on VCP and ebay, and the centering, lack of tilt, lack of print through the name, it all kept winning me over in comparison. I had to set the grade and holder aside on this one and go with a specimen that was immune to the usual flaws of the card. Classic buy of the card I guess. Going so high gave me some pause but with every comparable I reviewed side-by-side, I felt more strongly. Props to the seller, because he clearly knew what he had and priced it accordingly. Will excitedly crack it for uniformity and see if the graders show it some love based on its anomalously good traits, corners notwithstanding.

• Options
    Pretty hungover today; dinner out with bro and homies turned into quite the rager. Here are the ramifications of said hangover upon the collection.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a sweet looking Henderson! I think I was looking at that same 58 Mantle that you ended up with. Was that one a BIN?
  • Options
    Yep, was listed as a BIN but a buddy knew the seller personally and he was able to come down a notch. Wound up paying low six money for a centered 5.5-- which I will gladly do all day.

• Options
    INCREDIBLE!!!
  • Options
    I so enjoy this thread. Congrats on new cards, sorry about the hangover.
    Matt
  • Options
    "Dry" weekend Matt? LOL
  • Options
    I cannot disappoint...

• Options
    DAAAAAAAMN!!!

time for me to quit collecting! LOL

NIIIIICE!!!
  • Options
    Dude, when it comes to the 53B Mick, I think I'm like Mel Gibson's character in Conspiracy Theory-- with how he had to buy every copy he saw of The Catcher In The Rye. If I see a copy of that card with great centering I just have to buy it, LOL.