Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Dallas Cowboys Backfield Project

I decided to start a new project. My plan is to collect all the players that have played either the HB, FB, and RB position since the inception of the team in 1960 to the present. I'd like to do 8's and up for vintage cards but I'm sure I may have to get some in lesser grade for the tougher sets. As far as modern goes I'd like 10's but will settle for 9's. I've been buying raw and graded cards for the set. I plan in doing a sub for my raw cards if the monthly special actually becomes a special haha.
Here's what I have scanned so far. I have about 15 more that need to be scanned not counting all the Emmitt Smith cards I need to scan as well.

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Here's a link to my album:

link

Comments

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt, Cool project, but aren't you forgetting someone other then Emmitt? image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a cool project! Are you doing a master set of each player or just grabbing whatever comes along that meets the Cowboys backfield criteria?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Great way to view the different eras in cards, too--I always throught Preston Pearson was a wideout, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely a cool project! Are you doing a master set of each player or just grabbing whatever comes along that meets the Cowboys backfield criteria? >>

Sorry. I should have been clearer. For each season, I am going to get one card for each backfield player. For instance the 1960 season, here are the following rb's:

Don McIlhenny
    Fred Cone
    Walt Kowalczyk
    Gene Babb
    L.G. Dupre
    Ray Mathews
    Dick Bielski
    Don Bishop
    Bill Butler
    Mike Dowdle

Of course all the players listed above did not have cards for the 1960 season. In that case, I'm going to collect just the players that had a card made.

Tim, You're thinking of the original #88, Drew Pearson image
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Love the idea, but not the content. image

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Great concept and some nice cards! Keep us updated.
    Thanks guys. I'm looking at the scans on a different computer now and some of the scans look radioactive. Especially the red on the flips. I tried to do them as close to how they look in hand but it seems, from this monitor I failed. Think I'll have to rescan them. How do they look to you guys?
    Yes, Drew Pearson! LOL! I remember when I first started watching football he caught a hail mary pass from Staubach in the playoffs to cap a late comeback win vs Minnesota in the playoffs,

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Yes, Drew Pearson! LOL! I remember when I first started watching football he caught a hail mary pass from Staubach in the playoffs to cap a late comeback win vs Minnesota in the playoffs, >>

Yep. Back in the good ole days when the team actually played in playoff games lol!
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    A very tough card to find in PSA 8 will be the '62 Topps Don Perkins rookie.
    That's like a $600 card if you can even find one for sale.

<< <i>A very tough card to find in PSA 8 will be the '62 Topps Don Perkins rookie.
    That's like a $600 card if you can even find one for sale. >>

Yep. I had this card and set in mind when I said I would take lesser grades if need be. The black borders an centering issues are a killer.
    Settled for a 5 on the Perkins rc since an 8 is out of the budget right now. This one will do just fine for now.

link
    Sharp cards~I'm liking this idea for a project, Matt! Great assortment of action shots from different eras. Who was that back that always got into it with Landry back in 70s?

Found it, Duane Thomas, LOL!

From wiki:

During the 1971 offseason, because of a contract dispute (he requested for his 3 year contract to be rewritten) and refusing to report to training camp, he was traded to the New England Patriots alongside Halvor Hagen and Honor Jackson, in exchange for Carl Garrett and the Patriots No. 1 draft choice in the 1972 NFL Draft. Within a week, because of problems with the Patriots and head coach John Mazur, in an unprecedented move, the NFL commissioner voided part of the trade, sending Thomas and Garrett back to their original teams. The Patriots kept Hagen and Jackson in exchange for a second and third round draft choices in the 1972 NFL Draft. Thomas returned to the Cowboys but decided to keep silent all season long, refusing to speak to teammates, management and the media.

On October of 1971, he scored the first touchdown in the new Texas Stadium playing against the Patriots. That same 1971 season, Thomas led the league in rushing and total touchdowns with eleven rushing and thirteen overall. He also was named All-Pro and led the Cowboys with 95 rushing yards and a touchdown in Dallas' first franchise Super Bowl victory, a 24-3 win over the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl VI.

Before taking part in Super Bowl VI, Thomas was asked about playing in the ultimate game. His response was: "If it's the ultimate game, how come they're playing it again next year?". During a postgame interview following that Super Bowl, CBS television announcer Tom Brookshier noted Thomas' speed and asked him, rhetorically, "Are you that fast?" Thomas responded, "Evidently".

Thomas was reportedly voted as the Super Bowl Most Valuable Player by an overwhelming margin. However, Thomas had boycotted the media throughout the season as well, and Larry Klein, editor of Sport, which presented the award, didn't know how Thomas would act at a banquet in New York. With this in mind, Klein announced Roger Staubach as the winner.[1]

<< <i>Sharp cards~I'm liking this idea for a project, Matt! Great assortment of action shots from different eras. Who was that back that always got into it with Landry back in 70s? >>

Thanks Tim! You're talking about Duane Thomas. That guy was so full of talent (was even touted as the next Jim Brown in comparison to their running styles) but wasted it on hate and bitterness against "the man". He was late for meetings and very insubordinate. During role call, in team meetings, he refused to raise his hand or say "here" when the coaches called role. His argument was "you see me don't you?...I'm here" He only lasted a few seasons and was shipped off to San Diego then Washington. His career fizzled out.
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Matt, are you buying these cards already graded, or would you be interested in raw copies to sub yourself? If raw would work for you, just pm me a list of needs and anything I have is yours.

<< <i>Matt, are you buying these cards already graded, or would you be interested in raw copies to sub yourself? If raw would work for you, just pm me a list of needs and anything I have is yours. >>

Thanks Dan! I'm collecting raw and graded. I'll grade the raw copies once I get enough. I've been hitting other sites as well as ebay and have been doing pretty good price wise on raw cards.
  • Cool, send me a list. I have a couple from the 70s, but tons from mid 80s to present.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    That is a neat project image
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    This will help you with some obscure cards of maybe even these guys

Don McIlhenny
    Fred Cone
    Walt Kowalczyk
    Gene Babb
    L.G. Dupre
    Ray Mathews
    Dick Bielski
    Don Bishop
    Bill Butler
    Mike Dowdle
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Cool project. Look forward to seeing it along the way.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

<< <i>This will help you with some obscure cards of maybe even these guys

Don McIlhenny
    Fred Cone
    Walt Kowalczyk
    Gene Babb
    L.G. Dupre
    Ray Mathews
    Dick Bielski
    Don Bishop
    Bill Butler
    Mike Dowdle >>

Thanks Troy. That will come in handy.

I picked up raw copies of mcllhenny amd Dupre recently in 61 Topps. I missed out on a nice raw 62 Topps Bishop last week that I should have hit the bin on.
    Today's mail with the exception of the 1996 Ultra daryl Johnston, the 2000UD Legends Johnston and the 83 Topps Dorsett sticker. I found those in my collection today.
    The 1970 Topps Mel Renfro is a beautiful card and may be a bump candidate.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    I'm also excited to have the Perkins rc. It's kinda rough but will do for now.
  • How does renfro fit?

<< <i>How does renfro fit? >>

He's listed as DB/HB on every Cowboys roster he played on. In the past, a lot of players had dual roles.
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>

<< <i>How does renfro fit? >>

He's listed as DB/HB on every Cowboys roster he played on. In the past, a lot of players had dual roles. >>

I did not know that. image

I thought your VCP inquiry about a Ron Springs PSA 10 was a goof until you posted this thread. image

Neat project, Matt... as a semi-reformed Cowboys homer, I remember a lot of these cards (especially T.D.) fondly.

Snorto~

<< <i>

I thought your VCP inquiry about a Ron Springs PSA 10 was a goof until you posted this thread. image

Neat project, Matt... as a semi-reformed Cowboys homer, I remember a lot of these cards (especially T.D.) fondly.

Snorto~ >>

Lol! Thanks snorto!
  • I knew about dual roles, just didn't know renfro was one of those guys. I collect cappelletti, who was a receiver and kicker. Also used to collect groza

<< <i>I knew about dual roles, just didn't know renfro was one of those guys. >>

Yeah I figured that was the case.
  • blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    A few of those cards look familiar..... image
    Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)

<< <i>A few of those cards look familiar..... image >>

Yeah thanks for taking good care of them. I promise to do the same image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards Matt, I remember I was planning on doing a similar project before I stopped collecting.

Running back has always been my favorite position, pretty tough to find great action shots on RB cards. Tony Dorsett was my favorite player as a kid and I dont think he has any regular issue cards with him "In Action"

Have fun with the new project bud!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I was going through the Profootballreference for the cowboys and found out their original training camp was at a Military School just 10 miles from my house. Crazy!

<< <i>Nice cards Matt, I remember I was planning on doing a similar project before I stopped collecting.

Running back has always been my favorite position, pretty tough to find great action shots on RB cards >>

I agree Paul. Good action shots pretry much started in 1990 with Pro Set on Emmitt Smith cards. I'll post them soon.

Pretty cool about the base Troy. I always thought they held training camp in TX and CA.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice project Matt. Looking forward to seeing more. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Thanks Mike! Here's today's addition:

I've retired my old Epson Perfection 4490 in favor for an Epson Perfection V500. The scans seem to be brighter due to led lighting as opposed to fluorescent the 4490 uses. I'm trying to get them as true to life as possible.

This weekends additions:

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Love the Dorsetts and Herschel! My first ever football card was 1987 Herschel walker, given to me by my cousin. Still have it, but it's beat to hell.

Speaking of back fields, does anybody but me miss John madden gushing double entendre about "big meaty guys" getting "deep penetration in the backfield"?

<< <i>Love the Dorsetts and Herschel! My first ever football card was 1987 Herschel walker, given to me by my cousin. Still have it, but it's beat to hell.

Speaking of back fields, does anybody but me miss John madden gushing double entendre about "big meaty guys" getting "deep penetration in the backfield"? >>

I miss Madden and Summerall calling games. Those guys were great together.
    Today's addition. The great Timmy Newsome:

I went digging through my Emmitt Smith set today. I picked out a card for each season he played for the Cowboys and will add them to the set accordingly. There are so many other cool cards I could have added. It was so hard to settle on one card for each season, I wanted to scan them all haha. That will be for another day though. I'll start with what I think are two of the coolest Emmitt cards ever made. The 1990 Pro Set ROY card and the 1991 Stadium Club card. Both great action shots. Sorry Tim image

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Mike! Here's today's addition:

image >>

Sharp 71s look fantastic! Definitely my fav football set of the decade. If only that pesky stain wasn't there.
    For 1992 I chose another Pro set card. It's an early auto card and the pic was used on about 6 variations. Pro Set liked doing that. The 1993 Pinnacle is a pack pulled, black beauty and the pic was taken during Superbowl XXVII. Next up is a 1994 Pro Line Live National Promo Autograph. Bought it raw on ebay back in the good ole days. Lastly, a 1995 pacific Crown Royale Blue Holofoil die cut. Pefect card to sum up the mid 90's

imageimage

<< <i>
    Sharp 71s look fantastic! Definitely my fav football set of the decade. If only that pesky stain wasn't there. >>

In hand it's hardly noticeable. Especially if I squint my eyes a bit image
    Segway to two cards I just have to share. First up is a 1992 Breyers Bookmarks Emmitt Smith. Super tough to find in any condition let alone mint. I was lucky enough to snag a whole team set years ago. Given away to kids at local libraries back in 92, most I'm sure never survived in good condition. The slab is too big for my scanner but you get the idea. Next is a 2000 Stadium Club Tunnel Vision Jumbo. This card is amazing. It pops due to the super glossy finish.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hey Matt! LTNS, nice sharp card, you keep those blades as sharp? ;-)

Good for you.

<< <i>Hey Matt! LTNS, nice sharp card, you keep those blades as sharp? ;-) >>

Hey Steve image

I need to sharpen my blades for sure. last cut left a white tinge on the tips. No bueno!
  • Awesome stuff Matt, thanks for sharing. You had done the bulk of your emmitt collecting before I came along and we became friends, so I'd never seen any of that collection. I really enjoyed it and my fav is the funnel vision. Also known as tunnel vision. Stupid autocorrect.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a fun project ... Why are all those defenders always laying down when Emmitt gets to the hole??
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards