Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

Comments

• Options

?> @TomB said:

This may be an odd request, or then again perhaps there is a simple answer that I have not found.

There is a coin listed on the PCGS cert verification page as being in a user's private registry inventory and I would like to reach out to this person about perhaps acquiring the coin. It's not a rare coin and it's not a valuable coin and it's not a conditionally scarce coin. It's just a relatively low value coin ($200? $300?) that I purchased raw as part of a set about two decades ago and then had certified by PCGS and eventually sold. Since then, it has been re-certified (and no doubt regraded) at least three times, but I did some quick research and found what I believe is the current PCGS TrueView for the piece and the current cert number. Of course, it is in a private registry inventory.

Is there some way I can reach out to this person to inquire about the coin? I'd imagine since it is in a "private" inventory that the answer is that I cannot do so, but I thought some on the boards might have good ideas for me. Thank you for any help!

What is the cert#?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd prefer not to post the cert number or other details of the coin as I don't want to publicly badger someone into selling a piece to me. Rather, I would prefer to reach out privately, which is why I have posted so few details here, and then see if they are willing to sell the coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

What about a picture?

• Options

Holy Cow! I love your '40-S! This might read like waxing poetically, but the coin has a muscular portrait appearance that appears to have a creamy frostiness on it combined with a slightly more chrome-like luster and hints of lilac in the fields. I think it's gorgeous.

• Options

You're killing me with these WQs, @NorCalJack! That is a stunning 1950.

• Options

This coin has the most iridescence of any WQ I have ever held in my hand. I kept a select few when I retired my set and this was one of them. I would like to get a 3D video of this one because the picture does the coin no justice at all.

• Options

Definitely, KQ, I think that 1944 deserves better images. It looks like it could change appearance with rotation.

• Options
    CBTL2CBTL2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

I really enjoy it Washington quarter series from 1932 to 1998. It has the beauty of both the silver and clad issues along with enough varieties to make the hunt interesting. The gorgeous luster of a bright white coin or the various colors attached to the coins overs the years are works of art to us collectors. My sets can be viewed in PCGS under the name CBTL2. While the sets are still collections in the works I have spent many hours improving and adding to them. I particularly like the MS66+ graded coins. It amazes me that the + grade is so much rarer than the MS66 and get very little recognition in value. I believe that plus grades are severely under valued based on their scarcity. Just like many of you I have accumulated many extras as I upgrade the sets. If anyone is interested in doing some coin swapping on the Washington quarters let me know. I suggest reviewing my sets and let me know what you have that will help me and I will try to help you make improvements to your sets. fishdecoycarver@gmail.com

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have before images?

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they are not very good. but here they are.

So on the obverse behind his head you can see a small spot and a larger milkier spot was developing around it. Also on the reverse on the lower parts of the wings you can see light brown discoloration. Those were actually light milk spots, but the photo I have it shows up as a light brown discoloration. Anyway the restoration took care of all those issues. Can't wait to see it in hand.

• Options

@NorCalJack is really doing all the heavy lifting on this thread recently. Here is one I don't believe I have shared previously. It is a bit different in that there isn't as much toning as many of my others, but the slight ring of rim toning is quite striking in-hand-

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nor Cal Jack has definitely been knock this thread out of the park with his posting of his DCAM silver Washington quarters.

When he gets his DCAM proof quarters just the way he wants them I invite him to post photos of them all in a row from 1950 to 1964.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1960 always brings the party 🕺🪩

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

It's interesting, your 1960 reminds me of my 1939 in an OGH, but the two coins really don't look all that much alike-

• Options

Here is my 1960. Not really too different either, at least on the obverse.

• Options

@TomB said:
    It's interesting, your 1960 reminds me of my 1939 in an OGH, but the two coins really don't look all that much alike-

That’s a nice one Tom. The colors are quite similar in the fields on both sides of the date. I didn’t know 39s came that vibrant.

I selected this one for my 39—the color is subtle compared to some others in my set, but it is wonderfully clean and lustrous and one of my favorites in my set. It’s in a 67 holder, but it looks as nice or better than several of the 67+ in CoinFacts IMO (of course, ownership always adds at least half a point!).

• Options

I like your 1939 and agree that this issue typically does not come with massive amounts of color. However, I suspect that when these were issued that there were significant numbers of original rolls that were saved (either intentionally, in bank vaults or whatever) and that those coins often took on the kind of blush I am interpreting in the images of your coin. I think your coin is quite attractive and have owned several with that look over the years. They are great pieces.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketChange @TomB I will say I sure like the color on that '39! no matter the origin.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Well I still need a 1962-P and I wanted a 66+, but they are hard to find. A 67 is too expensive, so I went ahead and bought this instead. It looks great in hand. I will send this into PCGS in a few weeks and hopefully it gets a + grade.

• Options

So here is a 1941-P FS-103. It is graded AU-58. I would like some comments as to the grade. If you think it is MS or AU. I will be sending this coin back to try and get an MS grade. This is a very difficult coin to find in the wild. There 10 total coins in all grades for this variety.

• Options

My knee-jerk reaction to your 1941 WQ was MS and I was surprised it went AU58. I then went to the PCGS cert page and blew up the large resolution image and am still surprised it went AU58. Perhaps when the coin is rotated in-hand there is stronger evidence of wear, but the static images look like a slightly marked-up obverse MS coin.

• Options

@NorCalJack said:
    So here is a 1941-P FS-103. It is graded AU-58. I would like some comments as to the grade. If you think it is MS or AU. I will be sending this coin back to try and get an MS grade. This is a very difficult coin to find in the wild. There 10 total coins in all grades for this variety.

Do you need a new grade right away? I would take a breather... some grading pipeline changes from a new grading house might change your mind on what you want to do.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@NorCalJack said:

Do you need a new grade right away? I would take a breather... some grading pipeline changes from a new grading house might change your mind on what you want to do.

Well I do have more coins to send in and my membership ends in a few months so I was just thinking about sending it with a few other cherry pick coins I accumulated in the last few months. As of right now this order is on hold because I think they mis-attributed a 1950-S DDR so I have them looking at that coin again, since they say it is not the DDR they recognize. Once I get those coins back I will look at this coin again to see if it is AU or MS. I looked at it before I sent it in and I thought it was MS.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCalJack said:

You need to look at it under a loupe when you get this coin back. There are a couple gray areas above the ear on obverse and on eagles breast on reverse. This could be wear or a weaker struck portion still showing gray from unstruck planchet. The following pic shows normal areas of initial wear.

• Options

I see rub on the eagle breast. I also see wear on the obverse on the neck and in the hair. There is chatter behind the bust, so I agree with the grade.

• Options

Well the next coin is a 1945-P DDO FS-101 in MS-65. This is a pop of 6 with 1 higher. Total of 13 graded MS. This is another difficult coin to find. This coin was originally in an NGC holder, MS-65. I broke the coin out of the holder and submitted raw and it came back MS-65.

• Options

@NorCalJack said:
    Well the next coin is a 1945-P DDO FS-101 in MS-65. This is a pop of 6 with 1 higher. Total of 13 graded MS. This is another difficult coin to find. This coin was originally in an NGC holder, MS-65. I broke the coin out of the holder and submitted raw and it came back MS-65.

Luster! Let me put my sunglasses on.

• Options

Well here is another coin from my last submission. 1940-D DDO FS-101 in VF-30. Normally I don't look for varieties unless they are MS. But this is an exception. I already have this coin in MS-65, but stubbled upon it and decided to buy it with the plan of selling it.

Here is a close up of the motto that shows doubling.

• Options

This is a 1961-D/D RPM FS-502 in MS-65.

Here is a close up of the mint mark.

• Options

Here is my latest submission that I got back. It is a 1950-S FS-801 DDR. The reverse on this coin is a Type A reverse over a Type B reverse. MS-66.

• Options

@NorCalJack said:
    Here is my latest submission that I got back. It is a 1950-S FS-801 DDR. The reverse on this coin is a Type A reverse over a Type B reverse. MS-66.

You have some interesting vertical lines emanating north of "N GOD"

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

A while back I picked up this 1936 Proof that completes my '36 -'64 Proof set.
    My apologies for the unacceptable pic.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@sedulous said:

@NorCalJack said:

You have some interesting vertical lines emanating north of "N GOD"

Yes most if not all of the DDR-001 have those die polish lines. There is also a die gouge behind George's head that is the PUP for that coin. It looks like a long scratch, but it is actually raised, meaning the die had a die gouge. When you see that you can best be assured that it is a DDR-001.

If you check out the photos on Coinfacts and Vista Variety for this variety, you will see that the DDR-001, 003 & 004 are all fairly similar in the doubling and according to the CPG all three are designated as FS-801's. So PCGS has been attributing all three as FS-801.

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upgrading the last few of my rattlers and picked this one up.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

I bet that 1951-S WQ has insane luster on the reverse. Yours has such a typical look for the more attractive coins for this issue. I like it.

• Options

Nice one @1tommy

The ‘51-S luster seems to have a satiny quality. This is mine, also in a 67 holder.