Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

Comments

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 3:27PM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    This is a new arrival that I’m quite pleased with—a very lustrous 59-D in a 66+ holder. PCGS Pop 17, only 27 higher. The low pops for this date/mm are surprising as the purchase price seemed quite reasonable.

Well Congrats on your newest purchase. You did get a great deal as I needed this coin and was going to throw a wild bid in the end but friends stopped by sunday night and as were talking I realized it and missed the auction.

Nice looking coin and I also agree that for some reason these are cheap right now. The pops are low on that year so hopefully I will find one as nice and with a great deal to boot......Nice Job.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RadioContestKing said:
    Well Congrats on your newest purchase. You did get a great deal as I needed this coin and was going to throw a wild bid in the end but friends stopped by sunday night and as were talking I realized it and missed the auction.

Nice looking coin and I also agree that for some reason these are cheap right now. The pops are low on that year so hopefully I will find one as nice and with a great deal to boot......Nice Job.

Oh wow—please give your friends my sincere thanks :D

I’ve smacked myself countless times forgetting to snipe an auction, even on stuff I really wanted. The good news is there’s always another coin. Hope one comes your way again soon.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my latest addition to my variety registry set. 1962-P DDO FS-101 MS-65. Looking at the coin I think it could grade a 66. But I will leave it alone for now.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    This an inexpensive, slight toner I purchased raw from a forum member at a show a couple years ago.
    I had it slabbed to simply help me remember the trip, show and member.
    PR66

I love that hint of color!

• Options

Well I submitted 4 coins for Economy submission on 2/13/23 and they shipped them yesterday, so just under 2 months on an Economy submission. Here are my results

These are all Washington Quarters and I did not get any Trueviews with this submission or I would post pictures

1962-P MS-66 (I was hoping for a +, but this was in an NGC MS-66 holder with a green bean)

1963-P MS-66 (This was is in a PCGS MS-65 holder and I thought it would upgrade and it did. This is an FS-103. So the price guide for an MS-65 in this variety is $500 and in MS-66 it is $850 and a top pop of 6. I found this coin unattributed.)

1953-D MS-64 (This was in an NGC holder MS-64. This is a FS-501 D/Inverted D. This is a hard coin to find and am just glad it graded MS-64. I was afraid it would downgrade to an MS-63. This is the 10th MS coin graded by PCGS in this variety. This will have a pop of 5 with 2 coin graded higher at MS-65.)

1964-D MS-65 (This was in an ANACS MS-65 holder attributed as an FS-101. This is a top pop with a pop of 13. I was hoping it would grade an MS-66 so it would be a sole Top Pop, but it graded an MS-65. This is the right grade, but you never know until you try.)

Once I get these back I will send them back for varieties and Trueviews. I know most of you think I am crazy for sending these coins in twice, but I have other coins already graded by PCGS that I need to get attributed and I like the current grades. The funny thing is of the 4 coins I submitted only one upgraded and it was originally in a PCGS holder. The other three coins graded by NGC and ANACS all came back with the same grade they originally had in the holder. I was afraid to send them in for cross over as PCGS only crosses 38% of all coins, which means they would have only crossed 1 of the three I submitted. But by breaking them out and sending them in raw I went 3 for 3.

These are the other coins I need to submit to PCGS that are currently graded but not attributed.

1947-S MS-67+ FS-502 - This will be a top pop of 4 coins
    1952-S MS-67 FS-501 - This will be a pop of 9 coins with 3 coins higher
    1941-P DDR FS-801 MS-66 - This will be a top pop of 3 coins
    1963 PR66CAM FS-802 - This will be a top pop of 2 coins

I also have a proof coin in for restoration and 2 coins in for cross overs. I will post the results of those as I get them.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, the 1956-D issue is really tough to find with attractive color. Of course, for others this might not be the case, but for me it's just one of those dates.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @TomB —nice coin.

What generation holder?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

This latest coin is in an OGH of the type used from approximately January, 1990 through December, 1994. It is the only one of the six MS66 gold CAC sticker WQs that I have made in an OGH. Four of the others are in the first generation blue holders used from approximately September, 1998 through February, 2002 and the last is from a type of holder used from February, 2002 through November, 2004.

• Options

I agree that they did a very good job of removing the spots as well as the overall golden hue that was on the devices.

• Options

Wonder what they used to restore it? I suspect a dilute dip.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Wonder what they used to restore it? I suspect a dilute dip.

That's what I assume, as well.

• Options

I've listed 4 Pogue WQs with Greatcollections and also a gorgeous 1955 proof OGH toned. The pictures they posted for the auction were disappointing and not accurate, especially on the 1939 MS66 and 1955 proof. Let me know if any of you folks end up with any of them. Would anyone like to see the true view pics?

• Options

@KaleidoscopeQuarters said:
    I've listed 4 Pogue WQs with Greatcollections and also a gorgeous 1955 proof OGH toned. The pictures they posted for the auction were disappointing and not accurate, especially on the 1939 MS66 and 1955 proof. Let me know if any of you folks end up with any of them. Would anyone like to see the true view pics?

Id love to see the 55 proof

• Options

Well I got a few of my submission coins back from PCGS and the Trueviews. So here is a 1964-D FS-101 in MS-65. When I sent this in it would have been tied for a top pop, but someone made an MS-66 while my coin was being graded. Here is the coin and a close up of the DDO

• Options

You folks who find these DDOs and DDRs have got some terrific eyes, ability to focus on small details and patience. I've picked off a few of the easy to spot pieces, but I honestly couldn't do what you do.

• Options

Well then here is another variety that I just had graded. This one I did not cherry pick but it was in an NGC holder and the owner of the coin identified it as a D over Horizontal D. I agreed and so did PCGS. These are very difficult to come by and glad to add to my collection. PCGS has graded 12 of this variety in all grades, 9 in Mint State.

I colored in the Horizontal D so you can see what the variety is.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCalJack incredible coin and story as well. That would be a cornerstone of any Washington Quarter collection.
    Big Congrats to you!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

That is a neat story! I never bothered to research my own coins for who might have owned them previously.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 10:10AM

Well a member reached out to me to let me know that before Pouge, the coin belonged to Nick Cascio. Here is the Trueview of the coin when he owned it.

This coin was graded prior to "+" coins being available. This coin was graded MS-67. Looking at the finest all time registry set, Nick's set is ranked 32nd all time for WQ's. I am sure with "+" grades being available today his set would be in the top 15 all time.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-major-sets/washington-quarters-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/alltimeset/13424

I believe a lot of his coins ended up in the Pouge Collection.

• Options

Welcome to the thread, @LJenkins11! Now, we expect you to post more of your WQ favorite. :D

• Options

Heck, I should post one in your honor, as well.

As mentioned, this thread has grown and I don't know what coins I have posted and what coins I haven't. So...here's one that in-hand has such deep crimson color on the obverse that much of it flashes as black while the reverse is the often found steel grey color from US mint sets of the era-

• Options
    edited May 28, 2023 6:38PM

That 51D reverse is spectacular and the 52 is no slouch either!

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KaleidoscopeQuarters said:

I won the 1939 and am grateful for having done so. I bid having seen the TV at least, for what it’s worth… though even that doesn’t do the coin justice in my opinion. Paper/envelope toning is not easily captured but I plan to take a crack at it this weekend along with some other newps.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper/envelope toning is a tilt-to-see-the-color thing, agreed. The beauty shows up better when viewing in hand and any digital pictures taken have to be just right.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Would love to see a larger pic of the 32-S

Dan
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin, maybe in next CPG

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

received my grade today, MS65

• Options

@bramn8r said:
    received my grade today, MS65

That is one crusty George!

• Options

I dont see anything holding it back except for the hit on the chin, small reed mark on the forehead and the black streak. I could see it in a 66 holder. Not sure if the brownish toning is dip residue or not but I still like it. Maybe another expert could answer that one.

• Options

The luster looks good on your coin, there is nothing wrong with the strike and it is absolutely clean enough for the MS66 grade. My guess is that the color might have been viewed as a negative in-hand if it was thought to be toned over after a dip (dip residue) or it is a liner that might go MS66 next time. I realize that is not much to go on, but I would have expected an MS66 grade if submitted raw.